Anatomy of a Pop song.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Maxprizm
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 824
2008/10/24 02:29:19 (permalink)

Anatomy of a Pop song.

Ok, so a few weeks ago a couple of people put together tunes in 3 hours or so. I thought that was pretty incredible and also very interesting to me. So tonight I made a goal to put together a quick little pop song and gave myself a time limit of 3 hours. (still getting the hang of this studio stuff.) It actually took me 3 hours 23 minutes but who's counting. . So I'll let all you guys decide how this experiment turned out. Any input appreciated.

Keep in mind, this is 1 drum loop and virtually no production value lol. No bass either . I might turn it into a real song eventually. Here is what I came up with.

Disclaimer. Mix may be harmful to trained ears.

Elloise
http://www.box.net/shared/35v85qby9x
post edited by Maxprizm - 2008/10/24 03:25:45

Ed Edge

41 Replies Related Threads

Bob Oister
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2766
    RE: Anatomy of a Pop song. 2008/10/24 04:22:05 (permalink)
    Hi, Ed,

I've just got to say I really love this song! The song is really well written and has a great memorable hook. Your vocals sound fantastic and stand out really nicely, great singing and playing and a nice clean mix. I can't wait to hear it when you add the bass, change up the drums a little bit and maybe add a nice harmony part on the vocal. Really nice all the way around, great job!

Bob
    montezuma
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2520
    RE: Anatomy of a Pop song. 2008/10/24 05:05:02 (permalink)
    Sounds outstanding to me. Good sounds on everything...voice, guitar....are the drums something like ezdrummer claustraphobic?

Anyway...it's great.
    Jonbouy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: Anatomy of a Pop song. 2008/10/24 05:19:30 (permalink)
    Hey Ed

This is proper writing, and a great song.

The only thing I've got about though is the opening line of the verses keeps making me wanna sing "The sun is up, the sky is blue" a la Buddy Holly's Raining in my Heart, but that can't be a bad thing surely.

I'm up for supplying some rhythm backing (drums and bass) if it means losing that drum loop too...

jonbouyw at yahoo dot co dot uk if you wanna drop me a line.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Linda
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 137
    RE: Anatomy of a Pop song. 2008/10/24 07:30:52 (permalink)
    Hi Ed,

Good song. Well Written, good hook...it's got all the elements!!

Also...you have a cool voice.

3 hours!! I wish I could do that.... I am very slowwwwwwww.

Did you already have the lyrics and basic tune written before your 3 hour thing?

...in any event,, I enjoyed it..

Best Regards, Linda
    Truckermusic
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1924
    RE: Anatomy of a Pop song. 2008/10/24 08:03:49 (permalink)
    Ed
    I wanted to listen to your work only your link wants me to create a box net account.......something frowned upon at work...........so I will wait till I get home tonite..........but three hours???? nothn the leess...........your guys rock..it takes me months to write one tune.............

Cliff

http://www.soundclick.com/cliffordamundsen 
    NZXT Phantom Case (in Black)
    Windows 7, Service Pack 1, 64 Bit OP
    Sonar X3 Producer, 64 Bit 
    Asus P8P67 Pro Rev.3 MoBo
    16 Gig of Ram 
    4.5 Gighz
    Intel i-7 2600k Quad Core Sandy Bridge
    Unibrain Firewire Card
    Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface
    Mackie Big Knob
    NI Komplete 8
    Machine 2
    tyacko
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1190
    RE: Anatomy of a Pop song. 2008/10/24 08:08:22 (permalink)
    Ed,

This is a very well crafted song with an excellent pop hook. Your singing is very well done.

Great job. Isn't it interesting how sometimes we put so much time into a song when really it should just flow like you did here.

Tom
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Anatomy of a Pop song. 2008/10/24 08:16:36 (permalink)
    Ed,

Really nice job for the time invested. Now that you know you can record a decent song from scratch to posted in less than 4 hours, you can set back and relax a bit.

You have a good tune (Original song too, if I understand) so now, spend some time tweeking it. lay down some bass tracks and polish this up.... yeah technically you'll be over the 4 hr total time, but who cares. It was fun trying to beat the 4 hour start to finish time frame and you did it.... Some people can't even turn the studio on in 4 hrs.... (just kidding folks)

Good job.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    RE: Anatomy of a Pop song. 2008/10/24 08:37:38 (permalink)
    Beautiful job, Ed. What a fun little tune! It takes me three hours just to find my guitar and tune it.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    Spaceduck
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2499
    RE: Anatomy of a Pop song. 2008/10/24 09:15:52 (permalink)
    lol... I was also inspired by the idea of a 3-hour session. Two weeks later (at 6 hours a day) I haven't even made it to the 1st chorus. How the heck do you guys do it? WHAT MEDICATION YOU ON?

This is a fantastic tune. Solid, original melody & great vocals. And I mean great. You know, I would leave the song just the way it is, no-nonsense raw. In fact, if you hadn't mentioned it I wouldn't have noticed that there's no bass & that there's only one drum loop. This baby's ready for mass radio airplay as-is.

Spaceduck music [HERE]
    Spaceduck videos [HERE]
    tomjeff76
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 114
    RE: Anatomy of a Pop song. 2008/10/24 09:18:41 (permalink)
    Hi Ed, awesome! Really wonderful. I'm getting misty over here thinking about the process of creativity.

TomJeff

My Songs

Yamaha MM6
    Line 6 Tone Port UX2
    Korg PadKontrol
    Music Creator 4
    EZDrummer
    Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    RE: Anatomy of a Pop song. 2008/10/24 10:00:34 (permalink)
    Yeah Ed, a real diamond in the rough here. I'll try not to sound like a gushing teenage girl here, but damn its great to hear your voice on some new music. Your talent for melody is just awesome to me. You have some great vocal chops, with no fear of going for the note that fits.

I've got the feeling that due to your life experiences over the last couple of years, there is some great music in your future. Dig deep and get it out if you can. I'm a buyer!

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    jake11375
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 221
    RE: Anatomy of a Pop song. 2008/10/24 10:12:06 (permalink)
    Nice track. Clean mix and good vocals. Can't imagine what you could do with more time spent on it... great work...

JOSEPH-

Sonar X1 PE-64 | Win 7 Ult-64 | Intel i5-650 3.2Ghz | 16GB PC3 12800 | 1TB / 500GB HDD | Studiologic SL990 XP | Behringer UMX61 | | AP 2496

SOUNDCLICK (Studio J) 
    Heckxx
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 338
    RE: Anatomy of a Pop song. 2008/10/24 10:50:29 (permalink)
    Definitely a good song with song great ideas, not even considering the 3 hour limit. Whatever lack of production quality is there, I didn't really find it to be that noticeable or that obstructive from listening to the song.

My only concern is, this might sound similar to some other song you've heard before, maybe that's where you got the inspiration. But anyways, I would love to see how this sounds if its more polished and finished, if you ever decide to do that.

-Jeff
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Anatomy of a Pop song. 2008/10/24 11:18:13 (permalink)
    Cracking song Ed, some very nice Beatle-esque chord changes, a great melody and a fine hook. It all works for me

Oh, and a definite +1 to what Randy said..

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: Anatomy of a Pop song. 2008/10/24 11:21:51 (permalink)
    Excellent Ed. You know I'm a big fan of your music, but, your voice is always what stands out to me. Lyrical content as well. Pretty guitar work on this. If this is a 'starter' composition, I'll be waiting for the polished version then, tho, I like this as is... This 'stuff' just seems so natural for you that I admit I'm a bit jealous. Great song-writing skills.

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    jayhill
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 578
    RE: Anatomy of a Pop song. 2008/10/24 11:31:04 (permalink)
    What's amazing to me on this is not so much the music, as some of us know that when a tune comes to us we might lay it down within 45 minutes to an hour - anyway for me it goes fast when it does come -

But what is amazing is the lyrics you came up with in that time. Oviously, some people just HAVE IT when it comes to lyrics - but that would not, no, not be me.

Good work. I was thinking the other poster who did it in 2 hours also did the mix to finality? But I think when I last saw him he did have 6 arms...
    Ron Vogel
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    RE: Anatomy of a Pop song. 2008/10/24 11:48:29 (permalink)
    I like this a lot. I is in the vain of Guadacanal Diary, Crowded House, Fountains of Wayne...which are all big fav's of mine.

I'm stuck in the past, but my foot's tapping forward 
    Ron Vogel Soundclick page
    SoulPuppy
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 206
    RE: Anatomy of a Pop song. 2008/10/24 12:10:09 (permalink)
    Wow, that would be a great song even if you spent weeks on it. 3 hours... it's funny, but that's how it works. I can work at something with weak results for hours & hours & other times my best stuff will just happen in an instant.

If I can get 3 hours to myself I'f going to give it a shot soon. Great work!
    Maxprizm
    RE: Anatomy of a Pop song. 2008/10/24 13:36:28 (permalink)
    Oh wow guys, Thanks so much for the responses.

Bob, Thanks alot man, I agree it's crying for some harmonies in spots.

Montezuma, Thanks, the drums are just a drum loop from the free rxp player in Sonar 6pe. If I would have used midi it would have taken me 3 weeks. Midi drums are the devil.

Johnbouy, I love me some Buddy Holly, actually alot of guys from that era. What you dont like the endless drum? I'll give you a buzz about some rhythms. Thanks bud.

Linda, I basicly started out with a genral idea on the topic, and a few melodies swirling around.

Cliff, hmm thats strange. It's a public link, I dont even have to be logged in to access it.

Ed Edge

Maxprizm
    RE: Anatomy of a Pop song. 2008/10/24 13:48:41 (permalink)
    Tom, that was one of the things that interested me most actually. The spontaneity of it, instead of the clinical style. I think both can work well, just different processes.

Herb, Yeah this is an original song. I gotta get some drums rolling. That loop just can't be allowed to exist. That was actually very liberating writing the song over just 1 beat.

No how, thanks alot bud. I was lucky, I had the same strings on my bent necked Ibanez for 6 months, luckily it was in tune from around the 9th fret down.

I gotta go to work but I want to reply to everyone. Thanks so much for listening/commenting guys/gals, it means alot to me.

Ed Edge

marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    RE: Anatomy of a Pop song. 2008/10/24 13:49:37 (permalink)
    Ed, this is a very good song. You really have a fantastic voice.

I'm sure you were just exploring the possibilities of writing within a time frame based on how others have done so, but I for one just don't understand the many posters here that brag on how quick they did their song. Surely if someone does a fine song in "X" hours, wouldn't it be a better song if they put more time into it? Shouldn't "when it's done" be the target time frame? Sorry if I'm too simple.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    Prevalence
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 719
    RE: Anatomy of a Pop song. 2008/10/24 14:12:46 (permalink)
    Production sounds great to my 'untrained' ears! Nice hooky tune, and great vocals.

Bestest, Paul

Best Regards, Paul
    Music at: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=754343

~~~ Album 'ElectroStatique' (Feat. Anya) now available from:-
    iTunes, Rhapsody, HMW, 7Digital, emusic, Napster and several other outlets ~~~
    Taylor_514C
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1215
    RE: Anatomy of a Pop song. 2008/10/24 14:18:24 (permalink)
    Great job on this one Ed, especially in 3 hours. It's a pleasure to listen to you sing, and I enjoy your guitar playing.

Lots of nifty hooks in this as well. Sounds to me like it's definitely worth finishing up.

Taylor_514CMy Music:

Mamabear
    • Total Posts : 8954
    RE: Anatomy of a Pop song. 2008/10/24 17:06:32 (permalink)
    I have to agree--very nice job on this. Great melody, hooks and voice. I hope you finish it too. It's worthy of it!
    RLD
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1990
    RE: Anatomy of a Pop song. 2008/10/24 17:26:40 (permalink)
    Man...that's some snare.
    OK...I see you say its one loop...and no bass...wow, sounds pretty damn full considering.
    I think you've got a real nice start here...guitars sound nice.
    Has a Beatles/Coldplay/Crowded House feel....and that's always good.
    Hope you finish it!

RLD
    Maxprizm
    RE: Anatomy of a Pop song. 2008/10/24 19:42:44 (permalink)
    Space duck, thanks for the comments. I have songs that I have been messing with for over a year so I know how you feel. I think if I do add more to this tune it will be minimal, I think it will work with a sparse arrangement.

Tom, thanks alot for the kind words and the listen.

Randy, thanks so much for the warm welcome back. It's always a treat to hear your thoughts. You are right, I have been through some rough patches but if life was boring I imagine my songs would be as well.

Joseph, thanks alot for taking the time to listen/comment. much appreciated.

Ed Edge

Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    RE: Anatomy of a Pop song. 2008/10/24 19:46:58 (permalink)
    What a Pop sketch!

I love this child-like British rock! Some sweet upbeat ELO-like ballad, to me.

Hold this first impression; especially the melodious hook "Eloise" and the vox per se.

Some lyrics might need simplifying a little more (for pop genre that is)

'Twould seem impossible to mess this one up. You've got the raw upbeat bare-bones essentials, here. This should be a joy to finish.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    Maxprizm
    RE: Anatomy of a Pop song. 2008/10/24 20:48:58 (permalink)
    Jeff, thanks for the listen. I have enjoyed your material immensely. I will probably wind up changing a few things up to make it more of it's own. That being said I like a little familiarity.

James, thanks bud. You deserve a medal just for putting up with me.

Hey Larry. Thanks alot bud. You have nothing to be jealous about, I cant crank em out like you do and I think James said something like "a gorrilla with a coconut on acoustic" yeah thats me too. This little experiment was a rarity for me as I usually spend way too long on songs.

Jayhill, thanks for the comments on the lyrics. I have always been more into writing and voice but instrumentation becomes a chore at times for me.

Ron. Thanks. I actually love all those bands you listed also. 'Dont dream it's over' is one of my all time faves.

Soulpuppy, I agree sometimes they pour out and other times it's like cramming square blocks into round holes.

Mark, I agree, it should definitely be a "when it's done" kind of thing although I think it is healthy to experiment and push yourself to create something substantial quickly. It's all just one huge learning process for me (especially the recording side) and I have a hard drive (like others) full of things that just dont work at all.

Paul, thanks alot for the kind words. I have the worst monitoring system ever devised so I never know how it's going to translate. I am glad you liked it.

Ed Edge

JSGlen
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 856
    RE: Anatomy of a Pop song. 2008/10/24 21:06:55 (permalink)
    You did an excellent job overall on this song. Man, it takes me three hours to get off the couch!

ADK Quad Pro, Intel Core i7 3770 IVB 3.5 Ghz, Windows 7 64
    Seagate 500G Sata 600 OS Drive, Seagate 1 TB Sata 600 Audio Drive, 16 gigs of ram, 700 watt Coolermaster Silent Pro power supply.  Apollo Quad Interface, Dangerous D-Box, Burl B2 ADC, UAD 2 Duo, Avalon 737, UA LA 610 MK II, UA 1176 LN Hardware, Focal CMS 65 monitors, Avid Artist Control. 

Sonar X3d

Pro Tools 11 & 10

Wavelab 8

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1