Helpful ReplyAnd so it begins.....

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
kevmsmith81
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 259
2017/12/10 00:36:12 (permalink)

And so it begins.....

I've just tried running SONAR for the first time since this all kicked off.  I purchased the professional edition through Steam.

I'm getting a message saying membership renewal is required and it's running in demo mode.  I had it fully paid up to the 2016 version.  So basically, my DAW is now useless to me.  And seeing as you can't access support any more, I'm basically screwed.

Guess I'm headed back to Studio One Prime until I can afford to buy a new DAW.

**** YOU GIBSON.

kevmsmith81
Re: And so it begins..... 2017/12/10 00:45:12 (permalink)
Hmmm, so it seems I can still use the 2015 version, but the newest version no longer functions as a full version.  Either way, not impressed.
35mm
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1105
Re: And so it begins..... 2017/12/10 00:45:46 (permalink)
Hold your horses. I think I have heard about other Steam users having this issue in the past and getting it up and running again. Maybe do a search on the forums.

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
kevmsmith81
Re: And so it begins..... 2017/12/10 00:58:26 (permalink)
It seems I was a little hasty as it's now working.  However, for an hour or so all I was getting was demo mode.  But, seeing as support is effectively gone, I think you can see why I was both concerned and hacked off.

All that said, this clears things up that I need to seriously think about alternative options.  I just don't trust that this will be working forever.  Not that I can do anything right now, this is just a hobby for me and I don't have the cash to drop on alternatives currently.  I especially feel for anybody who relies on SONAR professionally as this must be a worrying time for them.
jyoung60
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 914
Re: And so it begins..... 2017/12/10 01:28:36 (permalink)
kevmsmith81...I especially feel for anybody who relies on SONAR professionally as this must be a worrying time for them.

I'm one of those, and yes, it's quite concerning, which is why I'm crash coursing my way through Reaper.  In 30 minutes I go on stage to play what may be the last gig with music produced solely on SONAR.

DAW: Cakewalk by Bandlab (latest version) - x64
VST: Roland Sound Canvas VA
Hardware: Roland MC50mkII Sequencer; Yamaha DGX-660 keyboard; Steinberg UR-44 Interface
Cactus Music
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: And so it begins..... 2017/12/10 16:44:48 (permalink)
I get a big kick out of people who think the software will stop working just because they stop selling it. 

I still use Win Amp for all my live gigs. I think they folded in 2006. And it loads into window 10. Interesting was the people who made Win Amp went on to write Reaper. 

I'm just setting up Sonar Home Studio playlist and will be trying that instead of Win Amp. If I like it, I expect it to work dependably for about 10 years. 
post edited by Cactus Music - 2018/01/22 18:03:16

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

kevmsmith81
Re: And so it begins..... 2017/12/10 17:42:33 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby pwalpwal 2017/12/10 17:59:01
Cactus Music
I get a big lick out of people who think the software will stop working just because they stop selling it. 

I still use Win Amp for all my live gigs. I think they folded in 2006. And it loads into window 10. Interesting was the people who made Win Amp went on to write Reaper. 

I'm just setting up Sonar Home Studio playlist and will be trying that instead of Win Amp. If I like it, I expect it to work dependably for about 10 years. 

There's a difference here though, Winamp was freeware and a lot less complex than SONAR.  Winamp doesn't require authorisation via a server and due  to the less complex nature of the software is probably less vulnerable to issues arising from updates to Windows. 

So whilst it is of course feasible that SONAR will continue to function as it currently does, there is more that could go wrong compared to Winamp (which is still my favourite media player for Windows, for music at least). 
jjdubs
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 66
Re: And so it begins..... 2018/01/21 00:15:42 (permalink)
So what did you do, if anything, to get it working again?

John

Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: And so it begins..... 2018/01/21 00:46:17 (permalink)
jjdubs

In case the OP doesn't return, in most cases with Sonar, logging out of the CCC and logging back in removes the "demo mode" issue. Maybe Steam is the same way.

FWIW there is at least one support person still at Cakewalk AFAIK.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
jimfogle
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 463
Re: And so it begins..... 2018/01/21 02:37:36 (permalink)
Anderton FWIW there is at least one support person still at Cakewalk AFAIK.

Man, I'd hate to have THAT job! No engineering to ask a question, documentation that might not always be correct, no one to bounce a question or theory off of, mostly empty building, everyone mad at my employer, thankless job.  What's not to like?

Jim F
Cakewalk by Bandlab (CbB)
Sonar Home Studio V23.9.0 build 32
Music Creator 6
Band-in-a-Box, Audacity, ChordPulse
Win 7, i3 cpu, 8Gig ram, 480 Gig Dell Laptop
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

jjdubs
Re: And so it begins..... 2018/01/21 15:22:47 (permalink)
Anderton
jjdubs

In case the OP doesn't return, in most cases with Sonar, logging out of the CCC and logging back in removes the "demo mode" issue. Maybe Steam is the same way.

FWIW there is at least one support person still at Cakewalk AFAIK.

Thanks, Anderton. I will try that. 
John
jjdubs
Re: And so it begins..... 2018/01/21 17:07:57 (permalink)
Well that didn't seem to work. I have an email in to Cakewalk if indeed that will even work. :-/

John
jjdubs
Re: And so it begins..... 2018/01/21 17:09:57 (permalink)
Might have to go back to X3. Gonna try Pro Tools First (free). Since I'm not a professional musician that might work for a while.

John

kitekrazy1
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: And so it begins..... 2018/01/21 17:19:32 (permalink)
Cactus Music
I get a big lick out of people who think the software will stop working just because they stop selling it. 

Unfortunately in this case it is tied to another source of DRM in Steam.  Steam support is about as reliable as the Cakewalk support right now. 

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
jjdubs
Re: And so it begins..... 2018/01/22 03:55:58 (permalink)
Hmmm. Seems the "free" version of Pro Tools isn't as "free" as they would have you believe. 
John

abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: And so it begins..... 2018/01/22 16:16:53 (permalink)
Why?

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
abacab
Re: And so it begins..... 2018/01/22 16:19:37 (permalink)
Tracktion T6 is the full version, and completely free!

https://www.tracktion.com/products/t6-daw

The world's best, fully featured, completely unlimited free DAW for all music creators

This is no ‘Lite’ version, we do not impose track limits, plugin limitations or other such constraints commonly found in other low cost offerings. Why? – we think you will enjoy using the app so much, you will discover the value in investing in our latest versions and the expanded features we are voraciously adding. Innovation and creativity is what drives us – join the ride today and download T6 for Mac, Windows, or Linux operating systems.

Training videos... https://www.tracktion.com/training/videos

jjdubs
Re: And so it begins..... 2018/01/22 17:12:12 (permalink)
abacab
Why?

If you are asking why the "free" Pro Tools First isn't free:

1. You can only save 3 projects and you can't save them locally.
2. For a mere $5/month you can upgrade to cloud storage and then you can save as many projects as you want, even locally.
3. Apparently you can't use VSTs without buying additional software and then having to jump through hoops to get it all to work together. You can buy Pro Tools instruments. 

I will uninstall it when I get a chance.

John

jjdubs
Re: And so it begins..... 2018/01/22 17:33:40 (permalink)
abacab

The world's best, fully featured, completely unlimited free DAW for all music creators

This is no ‘Lite’ version, we do not impose track limits, plugin limitations or other such constraints commonly found in other low cost offerings. Why? – we think you will enjoy using the app so much, you will discover the value in investing in our latest versions and the expanded features we are voraciously adding. Innovation and creativity is what drives us – join the ride today and download T6 for Mac, Windows, or Linux operating systems.

I have never heard of Traction but it looks pretty cool. 

I can hang with my Sonar X3 for now and Sonar Professional if I can get it working again. 
I'm not a professional musician so this is not a "life or death" situation.

John

abacab
Re: And so it begins..... 2018/01/22 20:19:24 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jude77 2018/01/24 22:50:01
jjdubs
abacab
Why?

If you are asking why the "free" Pro Tools First isn't free:

1. You can only save 3 projects and you can't save them locally.
2. For a mere $5/month you can upgrade to cloud storage and then you can save as many projects as you want, even locally.
3. Apparently you can't use VSTs without buying additional software and then having to jump through hoops to get it all to work together. You can buy Pro Tools instruments. 

I will uninstall it when I get a chance.

John

Oh, now I see!  $5/month to save projects locally, LOL!  Didn't catch that right away when I looked into that program, as they emphasized it is 100% free!

That seems a bit excessive for a limited version of the program, but it's their call I suppose...

If you spent $5/month for a year, you would have spent enough ($60) to buy a full copy of Reaper. 

abacab
Re: And so it begins..... 2018/01/22 20:49:45 (permalink)
jjdubs
abacab

I have never heard of Traction but it looks pretty cool. 

I can hang with my Sonar X3 for now and Sonar Professional if I can get it working again. 
I'm not a professional musician so this is not a "life or death" situation.

John

I have the latest version of Tracktion (Waveform 8) since release last Spring.  It is my secondary DAW, that I bought for the MIDI creativity tools added to that version, before the Cakewalk announcement.

But T6 is also a very capable DAW, and has a lot of power under the hood for recording and editing.  Each version is basically the same as far as core features, with the higher version numbers just adding new features.  So the training videos and manuals for earlier versions apply equally to the core features.

Their UI design philosophy until Waveform has been been exclusively a very intuitive one screen workspace.  Inputs on left, track clips in the middle, and outputs and FX bins on the right.

In Waveform, they finally caved into requests for a full mixer panel, that you can undock and move to a 2nd screen, as well as a MIDI PRV editor that you can also move, and go full screen with.  Previous versions just had inline MIDI editing in the tracks.

Since the program is cross-platform, the UI does not conform to the standard Windows UI objects, so that may put off some folks who prefer a Windows only design.

It offers automation, time stretching, latency management, step sequencer, MIDI learn, audio comping. Supports Melodyne Essential.  Unlimited audio and MIDI Tracks.  Most of your VST plugins from Cakewalk will load and work in Tracktion, with the exception of those that are locked to Sonar.  I have successfully inserted multi-output plugins, such as Addictive Drums 2, Kontakt, and SampleTank.

Beside the UI stuff, the biggest difference between this and Sonar is that there is only one kind of track, and it can hold any kind of clip object, such as Audio Clips, MIDI Clips, Step Clips, etc.

Quite a lot for free!!!  There is more, but I'll stop now! 

iRelevant
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 430
Re: And so it begins..... 2018/01/23 14:14:00 (permalink)
@jjdubs 
Studio One also comes in a free version ... called Prime ... it's been a while since I had it but I seem to remember one of the main limitations is that you can't use external VST's ... and have a limited set of internal FX and instruments. 

You can see for yourself here : 
https://www.presonus.com/...o-One/compare-versions
abacab
Re: And so it begins..... 2018/01/23 16:45:06 (permalink)
Prime was what first got me interested in Studio One, but the VST limitation really crippled it for me. I use a bunch of plugins and virtual instruments so that was a show stopper.  I think it would be great for beginners to learn audio recording with real instruments, though.  It has unlimited tracks and comes with 9 native audio effects.

The only way to get VST in S1, is to buy Artist + the VST add-on, or buy Pro.

For the remaining currently free options with full VST support I am only aware of Sonar Home Studio and Tracktion T5 & T6.

Another free DAW option, with full VST support, but limited track count, is Ableton Live Lite 9.  If you are currently shopping a new audio interface or MIDI controller, that program is bundled with many of them. 

I would add that Sonar Home Studio would still be a good way to update to a recent modern version of Sonar.  It was updated last fall, so it is very comparable to the latest Platinum and Professional versions, just without Pro Channel and some advanced features.  But many of the plugins from older Sonar versions should work just fine, as well as any 3rd party ones! 

konradh
Max Output Level: -42 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3325
Re: And so it begins..... 2018/01/23 23:56:01 (permalink)
Not long ago, people were giving me crap for staying on X1 instead of upgrading.

I truly wish I were wrong and stupid for not upgrading and that everyone were happy.

Konrad
Current album and more: http://www.themightykonrad.com/

Sonar X1d Producer. V-Studio 700. PC: Intel i7 CPU 3.07GHz, 12 GB RAM. Win 7 64-bit. RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLPC, Ivory II, Vienna Symphonic, Hollywood Strings, Electr6ity, Acoustic Legends, FabFour, Scarbee Rick/J-Bass/P-Bass, Kontakt 5. NI Session Guitar. Boldersounds, Noisefirm. EZ Drummer 2. EZ Mix. Melodyne Assist. Guitar Rig 4. Tyros 2, JV-1080, Kurzweil PC2R, TC Helicon VoiceWorks+. Rode NT2a, EV RE20. Presonus Eureka.  Rokit 6s. 
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: And so it begins..... 2018/01/24 00:16:53 (permalink)
konradh
Not long ago, people were giving me crap for staying on X1 instead of upgrading.

I truly wish I were wrong and stupid for not upgrading and that everyone were happy.

Having said that, if Cakewalk does end up giving everyone an activation key or some such way of allowing them to use it in perpetuity, Platinum is light years ahead of X1. Even with all of its problems. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
Jesse Screed
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1158
Re: And so it begins..... 2018/01/24 01:03:40 (permalink)
sharke
konradh

Having said that, if Cakewalk does end up giving everyone an activation key or some such way of allowing them to use it in perpetuity, Platinum is light years ahead of X1. Even with all of its problems. 

This exchange, to me, illustrates the total conundrum of all "our" exchanges.  I hope not to sound self deprecating, and you will hear what you read, but there has not been a version of Sonar (may she rest in Peace,) that was not light years ahead of us all.

Sonar was like a huge banquet, there was something for most, and a few came away not satiated, but I would offer that not one left the table unfed, unless of course they were light years ahead, and were virtual muses', in which case I would wish to kiss their ring.

Now the sumptuous festival has ended, and only the few are left to clean up the mess, and cull the crumbs.  But really, it's been a great ride; has it not?  Think about all the leftovers you took home in your box!

Maybe my discourse comes across as banal, contrite, and nonsensical; but when hasn't life been like that?

JQS

you all good peoples, at least I want to believe.
abacab
Re: And so it begins..... 2018/01/24 01:35:49 (permalink)
konradh

X1 was problematic, with the limited ProChannel, but X2 offered the full ProChannel options, and X3 was the full deal, lots of cool plugins! 

I was happy to sit on that, until the lifetime Platinum deal was offered...which included many features and upgrades since 2015.  I was amazed at the features added since 2014, when upgrading to Platinum in 2016... Well worth the price! 

jonnewyork
  • Total Posts : 263
Re: And so it begins..... 2018/01/24 04:37:16 (permalink)
I'm still using X3
I've added some 3rd party plugins since then; Slate bundle, Waves, a couple of Soundtoys plugins.
The waves stuff seems to use a lot of CPU. I find myself freezing tracks with automation and CPU hungry plugins to keep my computer from crashing. And bumping up the mixing latency. And deleting the tracks that I never unmute

Anyway, Thank you, Cakewalk, for Sonar.

I had a world renowned professional audio engineer who uses Reaper tell me recently that I couldn't tell what the input level was on my DAW, with which he seemed unfamiliar (pros seem to be advocating for a maximum of -18dB)

I showed him a screen shot.

He was speechless. (or the social media equivalent)

Cheers,
 Jon

Win 7 Pro
Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.40 GHz, 3.40 GHz
16 GB RAM
64 bit op sys
Lynx Aurora 16 ADC w/ AES16e card

almeister
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 111
Re: And so it begins..... 2018/01/24 20:02:01 (permalink)
In case anyone is interested, just got and email from Dontcrack, they have a deal going with Harrison, Mixbus  is $19 and Mixbus32c $99, cheap alternative for those you may want or need a backup plan....just sayin'

http://www.dontcrack.com/news/2018/01/harrison-mixbus-promo/

auto_da_fe
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1866
Re: And so it begins..... 2018/01/25 14:15:47 (permalink)
So this is a good lesson about cloud based / Stream based software subscriptions.

When it is a game, no biggie if the company goes out of business and you lose the cloud / steam authorization.  Lots of other games to play.  

When you are using something for creative purposes, keep it all local on your own hard drive and own the software, do not subscribe.  

JR

HP DV6T - 2670QM, 8 GB RAM,
Sonar Platypus,  Octa Capture, BFD2 & Jamstix3, Komplete 10 and Komplete Kontrol
Win 10 64 
SLS PS8R Monitors and KRK Ergo
https://soundcloud.com/airportface
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1