Angels Falling - My Newest Track

Author
ruralrocker2010
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 616
2012/06/19 18:14:15 (permalink)

Angels Falling - My Newest Track

Guys & Gals,

I would love some feedback on the tune; http://soundcloud.com/joshua-barnes/angels-falling

Lyrically, does it connect?

Melodically, does it have you wanting more?

Mix wise - well, it's not really mixed well; I already know that. : ) I'm looking for some feedback from you singer/songwriters out there. How does this set in your ears if you're 30 and over?

Joshua Barnes
Sonar Platinum / RME UCX / i5 3.2 8 GB Memory (Dell Inspiron) / Komplete 10 / Win 7 Home 64 Bit

25 Replies Related Threads

Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:Angels Falling - My Newest Track 2012/06/19 18:32:34 (permalink)
    Joshua, surely you kid.  This is maybe the best song I've heard from you, yet.  Your singing is sounding major league, and the arrangement and production are top notch.  The rawness of the song, at this point, is very appealing to me.  Were you inspired by the talent at Shawnee Days?  Next year you may be the main attraction.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    ruralrocker2010
    Re:Angels Falling - My Newest Track 2012/06/19 18:48:42 (permalink)
    I was inspired at Shawnee Days! I loved it! But, I wrote this song about 3 months go. : ) Thank you very much for your feedback. The guitarist on this track is also from Olathe. A real treat of a guitarist, very bluesy...I think we work well together..
    post edited by ruralrocker2010 - 2012/06/21 12:25:54

Joshua Barnes
    Sonar Platinum / RME UCX / i5 3.2 8 GB Memory (Dell Inspiron) / Komplete 10 / Win 7 Home 64 Bit
    ruralrocker2010
    Re:Angels Falling - My Newest Track 2012/06/21 22:40:56 (permalink)
    Bumping just feels so vain!

Joshua Barnes
    pistolpete
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1584
    Re:Angels Falling - My Newest Track 2012/06/21 22:53:47 (permalink)
    I hear influences from Bad Company and Foreigner. The intro sounds a bit close to VanHalen too. Overall I though it sounded like you hit the mark with a good song. The mix need some tweaking though. The vocals seem to washout somewhat. Otherwise great potential.
    foxwolfen
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8256
    Re:Angels Falling - My Newest Track 2012/06/21 23:36:08 (permalink)
    Once again I can only say +1 to what Lynn said. Pretty much echos my thoughts. I think you have nailed the mix. The dry vox are a huge change from the past, and most welcome here. The song is great. You have a ... Black Crows? sound to this. Great work.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    theguitarplayer
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3523
    Re:Angels Falling - My Newest Track 2012/06/22 00:55:21 (permalink)
    Very nice song!! You do need to work on bring the vocals to the front of the mix though. Maybe pan them also, just a tad. Other than that the instrumentation sounds great. Very Nicely sung, but get those vocals nice and clear and clean. Blessings, John

Sonar X3 Studio, Acid Pro 7, Sound Forge Pro 9, Sonicfire Pro 5, Kinetic 2, Cinescore, HP Pavilion dv7, CORE i7, Q-740, 8gb Ram, Windows 7- 64 bit, 4 tb mem , Audiobox USB, Digitech GNX4, Gibson SG1 & SG3, Martin J65M, Washburn Custom Cumberland, 3 Marshall Amps, Casio 365 Keyboard, M-Audio Axiom AIR Mini 32,  Behringer Truth Monitors, Garritan Aria, EWQLCC, Alloy 2, Ozone 6, Melodyne 

http://www.soundclick.com/JohnRKennedy
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:Angels Falling - My Newest Track 2012/06/22 08:42:23 (permalink)
    Wow, what a great song, real classic rock sound to it. Absolutely love the guitar sounds on this and your vocals are top notch Joshua, superb performance. Just a little push up on the lead voc and this is perfect. Actually, in the last quarter of the song, the vocs were just right..

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    ruralrocker2010
    Re:Angels Falling - My Newest Track 2012/06/22 15:32:50 (permalink)
    Thank you guys; this song has been under development for quite some time; it might actually make it into an indie film on propaganda in the US. So that's cool. It's not totally done yet, but all good things!

Fox; the dry vocals were basically because anything I tried to put on there seemed to either take away the intensity, or displace it from the music. So - it's sort of on purpose, but not intentional.... : ) 

In this particular song, I sang it phrase by phrase, in a loop to make sure the pitch was pretty tight and I double tracked the choruses.

Overall, one of the easier productions, in terms of time at the console. Getting this particular song in tune helped me to learn something about the way I've been singing in the past. I push WWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY too hard in front of the mic. Which is what gets me locking down my throat and swerving my pitch all over the place.

Joshua Barnes
    paulo
    Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6218
    Re:Angels Falling - My Newest Track 2012/06/22 17:02:22 (permalink)
    I seem to remember being pretty taken with your last song (something's wrong ?) but this blows it away IMHO. Loved it just the way it is and wouldn't change a thing other than a few tweaks upwards on the vox level - 1:28 section is an example of where it could use a slight lift.

The Band19
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2795
    Re:Angels Falling - My Newest Track 2012/06/22 17:21:03 (permalink)
    The vocals need to be wetter, I would throw some verb and delay on them. But I like um wetter than most. When that second electric comes in, 1:30? It feels like the vox may need a little comersate boost. The level is right on for the double vox part.
    philz
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2462
    Re:Angels Falling - My Newest Track 2012/06/22 19:17:20 (permalink)
    Hey Josh- That was one balls out vocal, man.  REALLY strong!  Good solid tune too... I wouldn't do anything with the tune or the structure. 

I think the vocal MIGHT benefit from some lite verb or delay, but I wouldn't go crazy with it because you don't want to lose that raw power that's there.

Mix wise, I was getting some low-mid resonance from the eigth chunks in the beginning, BUT I want to emphasize that I was listening thru a new pair of pc speakers, so it might have been them.  If anyone else notices it, you might want to do a little eq'ing there, but I suggest waiting to see if it was the mix or my speakers.

Great job on this!
    timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:Angels Falling - My Newest Track 2012/06/22 20:01:50 (permalink)
    Wow Josh. This is some balls to the walls stuff. Very well done.. You asked about the lyrics connecting. What I can understand sound like great lyrics but most of it I can't understand, That's not necessarily bad, just the way it is. 
    Only nit is, at around 1:30 when the heavier guit comes in, I thought it was too loud. 

as far as the voc wetness goes, I like it dry mostly but it does get tiresome, it does need some wetness. More like delay I think.
    Nice stuff man.

post edited by timidi - 2012/06/22 20:04:36

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

The Band19
    Re:Angels Falling - My Newest Track 2012/06/22 20:19:37 (permalink)
    Wetter is better...
    drumstixkev
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2709
    Re:Angels Falling - My Newest Track 2012/06/22 21:29:15 (permalink)
    Hey Josh
    GREAT tune... in your vocal range with a powerful delivery.  IMO I like the dry vox. When you did that vocal howl I was getting a Robert Plant vibe. Funny how people hear different things to me the chorus and arrangement of the tune was total AC/DC.  I know its not a finished mix but on my end the guitar had a lot of low end boom making it a smidge muddy. But, It's probably my old ears since I'm the only one who has said anything.  I like the raw vibe of this piece and I'm looking forward to hearing the finished mix.  KUDOS my friend!

Kev

VoxBoxStudio music made with SONAR & SONiCA AUDIO LAB computers.   Website http://drumstixkev.wix.com/voxboxstudio 

Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    Re:Angels Falling - My Newest Track 2012/06/23 08:36:12 (permalink)
    I think you have found the vocal recording technique that works for you. It enables you to have the consistent tone for the entire song, and you can get up into the higher register without the breathing technique deficiencies you have coming through. That's not a knock on your voice at all Josh, it's something I'm sure you realize. Take some good notes on your settings and techniques for the vocals on this song. The verses work really well, though the chorus in the higher register is still a titch thin, even while doubled. You might want to try a couple of "whisper tracks" on that part. 

As for the dryness, it totally works for me in the verses. They do need to come up a couple of db's. They pop a little more at volume, but on a quieter listen they are too low. Find the balance there.

Perhaps a little subtle plate reverb on the chorus might thicken them a little. Remember to keep the level up after applying it.

This is a really well written and arranged song. Great guitar tones. Nice work so far Josh.

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:Angels Falling - My Newest Track 2012/06/23 17:10:45 (permalink)
    hey Josh nice to hear a proper song from you, not just acoustic and vox. i LOVED the inro and was a touch disappointed when the main riff came in, but i soon adjusted, it's a great guitar tone, and boy, we knew you could sing, and this suits your voice perfectly. i like the dryness of your vocal here. as others have said, your best song for a while; when you first came on here you had some awesome stuff and seems you had a bit of a dry spell (hey, we have all been there!) but now you're back!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:Angels Falling - My Newest Track 2012/06/23 17:31:22 (permalink)
    Very cool vibe. Kinda like the band Free to me.
    ruralrocker2010
    Re:Angels Falling - My Newest Track 2012/06/24 16:58:11 (permalink)
    Paulo - thank you! It's a journey and with some of these songs I often wonder how well they would all fit into an album; but my style is starting to take shape. I appreciate your kind words.

TheBand19 - thing is, wet vocals are easier on the ears; they also hide stuff. But, I also think that you MUST pay attention to the lyrics better the more dry the vocal is. I'm not saying I don't want to effect the vocal, I do; I'm just also surprised at how meaningful the very dry vocal sounded. IT's all about the entire canvas, not just the reflections in the water. thank you for listening and being willing to comment.

Philz - I think you're right. This mix needs to be worked up from the ground up. It's not bad, but it could be a lot better.

Timidi - thank you. very much!

Drumstix - there is a couple of AC/DC notes in there...that's for sure! Believe it or not, the very original version of this had a very foo-fighters feel. The guitarist I started working with absolutely changed the vibe; but I think, very much for the better.

RSP - what are whisper tracks and how do you comp them? I assume it's a lower volume to give it some breadth?

MGH - of course you know that I love your feedback in particular, but it's been awhile because i've been struggling with the art side of my music. I want to create music that I like, that's consistent and has a mass appeal. when you have a hot rod for a voice the temptation is to go do what others have done (cornell, plant, perry, etc) but I've been learning the art of restraint. What the result has been is that, though I've been writing ALOT more, I've been unwilling to take it all to full production because, I'm still not sure my style is fully mature yet. But - I'll say this, with the addtion of this guitarist I'm working with - that can and I hope will, immediately change. What we have here with this song is a direct product of my song writing skills and his instrumentational skills as an artist. I think it's a thing of beauty and I'd like do 100's more like it. It may not all be rock or hard rock, but I expect it will be GOOD!

Bapu - Free eh? I'll take that!

Joshua Barnes
    Randy P
    Re:Angels Falling - My Newest Track 2012/06/24 17:13:12 (permalink)
    Josh, 

A whisper track is pretty much just what it sounds like. You can just whisper the lyrics up close to the mic. It's an experiment the first couple of times you try it. When you go to listen back, try soloing just the vocal tracks and the whisper track. Bring the whisper track up til you can just hear it and then take the tracks off solo and you should hear a slight "thickening". I've even used a few different whisper tracks on a part.

Randy

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    ruralrocker2010
    Re:Angels Falling - My Newest Track 2012/06/24 19:38:57 (permalink)
    Are you whispering the entire melody or the tonic center? Or what? Sounds like it would thicken things up a lot!

Joshua Barnes
    The Band19
    Re:Angels Falling - My Newest Track 2012/06/24 20:02:22 (permalink)
    Ever wonder why they don't have dry tee shirt contests?
    Randy P
    Re:Angels Falling - My Newest Track 2012/06/24 20:05:00 (permalink)
    For this song, try doing the lyrics of the chorus in the something along the lines of a whispered falsetto. Keep it soft and breathy and follow the melody. Like I said, experiment. I think you might find that it can work better on certain lines better than others, or it might work good on the whole chorus.

Randy

Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Angels Falling - My Newest Track 2012/06/24 22:54:27 (permalink)
    Love the power behind the vocals--great job!  And just barely over 30 , but I'm afraid I couldn't hear the lyrics enough to really comment.  But great song overall!  
    Bob Oister
    • Total Posts : 2766
    Re:Angels Falling - My Newest Track 2012/06/25 03:21:39 (permalink)
    Hey, Joshua,

Killer rock song with great guitar sound and powerful "in your face" vocals!

Excellent songwriting and arrangement, and from the dry vocals, I'm kind of getting a White Stripes vibe, especially during the choruses and later verses.

Randy's idea about using a whisper tracks is a great idea for this type of song.  I usually pan the whisper track way off to one side and then bring it up to where you can just about hear it, and then back it off a little.  It works great as an almost "subliminal" effect to add body and depth to the main vocal.

Great song, buddy, nice work!
    Bob
    ruralrocker2010
    Re:Angels Falling - My Newest Track 2012/06/25 13:14:30 (permalink)
    The Band19

Ever wonder why they don't have dry tee shirt contests?

BBHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHH LOL - that's hilarious.

Joshua Barnes
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1