Helpful ReplyAnnouncement of NASA's most challenging mission ever?

Author
SteveStrummerUK
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31112
2017/06/25 22:02:09 (permalink)

Announcement of NASA's most challenging mission ever?

NASA has outlined plans for what most experts consider to be their most ambitious and challenging mission ever.

However, the astronomical cost of the expedition coupled with the extremely low probability of success has left some commentators scratching their heads in disbelief.

Astronaut Buzz Aldrin added his voice to those of the proposed mission’s many critics saying, “I don’t understand their decision. When JFK famously declared in 1961 that the United States would put a man on the moon and return him safely to earth before the end of the decade, most people thought the idea fanciful, if not a downright impossibility.” Shaking his head and smiling ruefully, he added, “But compared to NASA’s next expedition, our chances of success were a stone cold certainty!”

One NASA spokesman retorted angrily to Aldrin’s criticism by saying, “Yes, the mission is going to cost billions, and the chances of accomplishing our goal are almost infinitesimally slim, but we believe that the potential rewards outweigh all the undoubted difficulties and expense."

Lift-off for this new voyage of discovery is due to be sometime before 2020, although NASA insisted that such was the importance of the mission, every effort would be made to get the project off the ground as soon as possible.

“There are fundamental questions that we believe mankind demands answers to” added the NASA boffin and quipped, “To paraphrase John F Kennedy, we are doing this not because it is easy, but because it is nigh on impossible!”

A whole new level of technology has been conceived for the mission, including instruments designed with previously unheard of levels of complexity, sophistication and sensitivity.

Details of the mission have, until now, been guarded by unprecedented levels of security, leading to rumours and theories abounding – a manned mission to Mars being by far and away the most prevalent.

The full reveal was a complete surprise to most observers, and went as follows:

“NASA are proud to announce our exciting new goal of sending a probe to land on the surface of James Corden in a mission to try and discover any trace of talent whatsoever. The craft will be launched from Cape Canaveral and once en route, will be attracted by the immense natural gravity of Corden. The probe itself will consist of two parts – an orbiter which will remain circling the main wobbling mass and a lander which will descend to the surface. The descent through the hundreds of miles of Corden’s massively dense ego will prove a real challenge, but we believe a soft landing on the upper slopes of his mountainous flab will happen at the conclusion of this perilous journey.”

After the official announcement, the mission leader went into other details and the history of the project. “Due to the vast surface area scheduled to be surveyed, the exploratory phase is expected to last for many years” he explained, “The lander’s solar powered batteries should keep it operational for decades, although the amount of sunlight that can penetrate the ego and arrive at the surface could be a limiting factor. We’ll be trying to keep the lander in direct sunshine as often as possible, although when navigating the area beneath the many chins, this might prove a little difficult.”

Although some may perceive the purpose of the mission to be a complete waste of time, effort and money, the search for talent in James Corden has been attempted many times before. The NASA spokesman stressed that “It is completely obvious that no talent whatsoever can be observed using the naked eye, so some form of instrumentation has always been employed in an attempt to view this elusive attribute. We finally decided to launch a probe after extensive use of the Hubble Space Telescope failed to reveal even the slightest trace of quantifiable talent, even during Corden’s recent eclipse of the sun.”

If this voyage proves successful, the NASA spokesman hinted that further missions of talent discovery may be launched further down the line. “We could see a day when such missions are commonplace” he suggested, “And the thought of finding any talent whatsoever in the likes of Russell Brand, Noel Edmonds or Adrian Chiles keeps us motivated and prepared to carry on working at what most consider to be a fruitless task.”

James Corden is fat.

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Beepster
  • Total Posts : 18001
Re: Announcement of NASA's most challenging mission ever? 2017/06/25 22:12:23 (permalink)
craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: Announcement of NASA's most challenging mission ever? 2017/06/25 22:25:56 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby BobF 2017/06/26 01:14:35
Did that OP start with "Hi," or did I just miss it? 

(Er, and who is James Corden?)

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
paulo
Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6218
Re: Announcement of NASA's most challenging mission ever? 2017/06/25 22:32:09 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Beagle 2017/06/26 20:29:17
craigb

(Er, and who is James Corden?)

You really don't want to know.
jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: Announcement of NASA's most challenging mission ever? 2017/06/26 07:02:45 (permalink)
I can forgive him for being a bit of a pillock, because he co-wrote (and was very good in) Gavin & Stacey, one of my favourite comedies.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Announcement of NASA's most challenging mission ever? 2017/06/26 16:06:09 (permalink)
jamesg1213
I can forgive him for being a bit of a pillock

I cant believe I have never heard this word before.
Excellent vocabulary there James. I learned a new word today

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

craigb
Re: Announcement of NASA's most challenging mission ever? 2017/06/26 16:43:48 (permalink)
Lots to learn in the Coffee House.  The rare bit can even be used.  

Beepster
Re: Announcement of NASA's most challenging mission ever? 2017/06/26 16:47:25 (permalink)
Since nobody's asked about my GIF...

That's one of those "Fake" moon landing conspiracy wackaloons essentially calling Buzz Aldrin a liar... and Buzz not putting up with that shiznock for a lunar second.
jamesg1213
Re: Announcement of NASA's most challenging mission ever? 2017/06/26 17:04:40 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Beepster 2017/06/26 17:26:34

Jyemz

craigb
Re: Announcement of NASA's most challenging mission ever? 2017/06/26 17:05:32 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Beepster 2017/06/26 17:26:44
Beepster
Since nobody's asked about my GIF...

That's one of those "Fake" moon landing conspiracy wackaloons essentially calling Buzz Aldrin a liar... and Buzz not putting up with that shiznock for a lunar second.

Cool!  I was wondering about that.

(To the moon Alice!)

--------------------------------------------------------

Here's a cute Neil Armstrong story:

On July 20, 1969, as commander of the Apollo 11 lunar module, Neil Armstrong was the first person to set foot on the moon.

His first words after stepping on the moon, "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind", were televised to earth and heard by millions. But, just before he re-entered the lander, he made the enigmatic remark "Good luck, Mr. Gorsky."

Many people at NASA thought it was a casual remark concerning some rival soviet cosmonaut. However, upon checking, there was no Gorsky in either the Russian or American space programs.

Over the years, many people questioned Armstrong as to what the 'Good luck, Mr. Gorsky' statement meant, but Armstrong always just smiled.

On July 5, 1995, in Tampa Bay, Florida, while answering questions following a speech, a reporter brought up the 26-year-old question about Mr. Gorsky and this time he finally responded because his Mr. Gorsky had just died, so Neil Armstrong felt he could now answer the question.

Here is the answer to "Who was Mr. Gorsky?":

In 1938, when he was a kid in a small mid-western town, he was playing baseball with a friend in the backyard. His friend hit the ball, which landed in his neighbor's yard by their bedroom window. His neighbors were Mr. and Mrs. Gorsky. As he leaned down to pick up the ball, young Armstrong heard Mrs. Gorsky shouting at Mr. Gorsky, "Sex! You want sex?! You'll get sex when the kid next door walks on the moon!"

It broke the place up.

Neil Armstrong's family confirmed that this is a true story.

Beepster
Re: Announcement of NASA's most challenging mission ever? 2017/06/26 17:36:22 (permalink)
Full vid of the Aldrin punch...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47LEbHA6cIE

Man... the guy was acting even douchier than I recalled.

lol
craigb
Re: Announcement of NASA's most challenging mission ever? 2017/06/26 17:55:48 (permalink)
The follow-up video with the Mythbusters was great too (and also showed the punch along with the Judge's resolution of "You had it coming!").  Good stuff.

I wonder who these asshats think put the mirror on the moon?  You know, the one that you can shine a laser off of that's used to determine the distance of the moon from Earth?

Beepster
Re: Announcement of NASA's most challenging mission ever? 2017/06/26 17:59:50 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby craigb 2017/06/26 18:04:20
RE: "think"

They don't.
paulo
Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6218
Re: Announcement of NASA's most challenging mission ever? 2017/06/26 19:21:10 (permalink)
jamesg1213
I can forgive him for being a bit of a pillock, because he co-wrote (and was very good in) Gavin & Stacey, one of my favourite comedies.

Corden and  Rob Brydon ???

You seem like a good man James, but if we should somehow ever find ourselves having to watch the same tv some day, I'm having the remote, okay ?

jamesg1213
Re: Announcement of NASA's most challenging mission ever? 2017/06/26 19:31:13 (permalink)
It was the writing that made that show, the peripheral characters were just brilliant, like Pete and Dawn and Stacey's nan. Brydon was superb in it as Uncle Bryn.

Jyemz

bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Announcement of NASA's most challenging mission ever? 2017/06/26 19:39:50 (permalink)
Do I gather form gist of the OP that NASA has given up on Ricky Gervais?
SteveStrummerUK
  • Total Posts : 31112
Re: Announcement of NASA's most challenging mission ever? 2017/06/27 00:42:33 (permalink)
bapu
Do I gather form gist of the OP that NASA has given up on Ricky Gervais?

Gervais has gone up inestimably in my opinion.

This helped...

###WARNING FOR THOSE EASILY OFFENDED###

\\\\\ MUCH FOUL LANGUAGE & COPIOUS ATHEISM /////

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: Announcement of NASA's most challenging mission ever? 2017/06/27 02:03:48 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Beepster 2017/06/27 14:47:12
Beepster

I think it was Aldrin who commented that when you think of the huge amount of time and money it would have required to hoax the Moon landings - including building all the many launchers, capsules and huge amounts of other equipment used from the Mercury project onwards - because the thousands of people in the factories had to be designing and building what they thought were viable components or they wouldn't be fooled - and the many tens if not hundreds of thousands of people from all over the world who would have known it was a hoax and have to keep quiet for ever, including in the USSR, China, UK, France, Australia and every other place with radars with a range of more than a few hundred miles....

It would be much simpler and far cheaper just to set up a space programme and send people to the Moon and back.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
quantumeffect
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2771
Re: Announcement of NASA's most challenging mission ever? 2017/06/27 02:24:44 (permalink)
Funny ... and maybe I just missed it, but I didn't find one mention of Uranus in this entire thread.

Dave

8.5 PE 64, i7 Studio Cat, Delta 1010, GMS and Ludwig Drums, Paiste Cymbals

"Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact." H. Simpson

"His chops are too righteous."  Plankton during Sponge Bob's guitar solo 
quantumeffect
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2771
Re: Announcement of NASA's most challenging mission ever? 2017/06/27 02:53:53 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby SteveStrummerUK 2017/06/27 07:18:56
OK, so I looked up James Corden and now this thread makes no sense.  Why would NASA foot the bill and not the UKSA? 

so some form of instrumentation has always been employed in an attempt to view this elusive attribute

... and even if the UKSA had a need to perform a talent search, what sort of "instrumentation" seeks out talent?  Are they going to strap Simon Cowell to a satellite?

Dave

8.5 PE 64, i7 Studio Cat, Delta 1010, GMS and Ludwig Drums, Paiste Cymbals

"Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact." H. Simpson

"His chops are too righteous."  Plankton during Sponge Bob's guitar solo 
craigb
Re: Announcement of NASA's most challenging mission ever? 2017/06/27 06:19:58 (permalink)
I've loved science ever since I saw the sentence "Uranus is gaseous."

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1