Annoying problems with SONAR X3, Sound Forge and iTunes

Author
AlChuck
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 66
2013/12/15 13:52:57 (permalink)

Annoying problems with SONAR X3, Sound Forge and iTunes

I have an Echo Audio Layla 3G audio/MIDI interface and it works beautifully - unless I happen to open up iTunes. iTunes will work fine but it seems to grab the audio card away from anything else. If I open up SONAR or Sound Forge, I get messages that the audio card is unavailable.

I looked in iTunes' Preferences -> Playback tab, there doesn't seem to be much I can do. It's only got two choices under Play Audio Using - Direct Sound and Windows Audio Session. SONAR and Sound Forge use the Echo's ASIO drivers, so maybe that is an issue.

It's not really that big of a deal, I can just not launch iTunes when I'm working on any recording projects. Back when I had a Delta 66 on Windows XP, I used to use Sound Forge sometimes to record off the audio output of iTunes so I could make an MP3 that didn't have copy protection, but I've found that I can work around that by opening an iTunes mp4 file and exporting it as a WAV file that I can then convert to MP3. 

Any ideas?

SONAR Platinum (64 bit), Windows 10  (64 bit), custom-built PC with Intel Core i5 CPU 3.10 Ghz, 16 GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 audio interface (USB 2.0), Seagate 5-TB hard drive, Intel HD graphics
Splat
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8672
Re: Annoying problems with SONAR X3, Sound Forge and iTunes 2013/12/15 14:00:58 (permalink)
ASIO is designed to be exclusive and you should be using it in Sonar. Under preferences you can tell Sonar to share drivers with other programs but I don't recommend this. Many people use their internal sound chips for this purpose rather than use their interface, I would move Source Forge software away from ASIO otherwise (although not ideal).

Also please have a go at updating your soundcard drivers, probably won't make any difference but worth a go.

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
@48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
AlChuck
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 66
Re: Annoying problems with SONAR X3, Sound Forge and iTunes 2013/12/15 14:21:30 (permalink)
Thanks, Alex. I have already installed the latest available driver for the Echo.

I can probably live with it like this, I almost never feel the need to have Sound Forge open while I'm using SONAR.
SuperG
Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1371
Re: Annoying problems with SONAR X3, Sound Forge and iTunes 2013/12/15 14:40:10 (permalink)
It's gotta be an Apple thing or the sound driver....

I can play Sonar (ASIO), Sound Forge (ASIO), and Windows System sound (Browser, regular apps) all at the same time - though there's not much reason to do so. (Rather messy sounding..)

Sonar does not have 'share driver' enabled, Sound Forge is using ASIO also, and Windows is set to Wave Audio with allow exclusive use and give exclusive application priority checked. I'm running Win 7 x64, and using a MOTU MKIII ultralite. MOTU has one of the best drivers around, they support ASIO, WaveRT, and regular Wave audio - simultaneously.

laudem Deo
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1