Annoying snap setting

Author
Guitarpima
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4125
2011/01/27 06:47:18 (permalink)

Annoying snap setting

Just a friendly reminder that the snap setting is annoying. Even more annoying than another post about it. Since I'm tired of the snow and waiting for my gloves to dry, I thought I'd remind you all. I wish the snap setting would stop changing every time I'm working in the staff view. One minute it's set to measure, the next it's set to 1/32. GRRRRRR!

Anyone know how to get it to stop?

Enjoy the snow!
post edited by Guitarpima - 2011/01/27 06:48:59

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub

17 Replies Related Threads

ProjectM
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3941
    Re:Annoying snap setting 2011/01/27 07:28:36 (permalink)
    In the Staff view? I haven't really used that yet so I haven't noticed, but consider me annoyed by it to. The snap settings have caused a lot of head scratchings. Getting it to stop? X1b perhaps? Fingers crossed - and that's easier without gloves;)

BTW, FastBikerBoy have been posting a lot about the Screensets. They can contain snap settings too. I don't know if you're using screensets but maybe it's worth looking into?
    post edited by ProjectM - 2011/01/27 07:29:48

(Sonar Platinum - Win10 x64) - iMac and 13" MacBook - Logic Pro X ++ - UA Apollo Twin DUO - NI Maschine MKII - NI Komplete Kontrol S61 - Novation Nocturne - KRK Rokit 6
    Soundcloud
    Negative Vibe Records
    Guitarpima
    Re:Annoying snap setting 2011/01/27 09:03:35 (permalink)
    Screensets have nothing to do with it. I set the snap to measure. I then do editing in the staff view. I go to select measure and copy/paste ect, and the effin snap has changed all by itself.

I think the X in X1 means "Xtra clilcks".

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
    ProjectM
    Re:Annoying snap setting 2011/01/27 09:11:27 (permalink)
    Hah! See what you mean. There's a lot of talk about snap and I have noticed some weird snap behavior here and there too. IIRC I think I've heard some rumors that this is one of the things that will be fixed (or at least bettered) in X1b.

With Screensets, I've been told that they can also contain different snap settings and one user here (FastBikerBoy) has touched upon the topic of using these quite effectively when it comes to snap as well.

"I think the X in X1 means "Xtra clilcks"."

Priceless

(Sonar Platinum - Win10 x64) - iMac and 13" MacBook - Logic Pro X ++ - UA Apollo Twin DUO - NI Maschine MKII - NI Komplete Kontrol S61 - Novation Nocturne - KRK Rokit 6
    Soundcloud
    Negative Vibe Records
    Scott Lee
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1120
    Re:Annoying snap setting 2011/01/27 09:14:57 (permalink)
    ""I think the X in X1 means "Xtra clilcks"."

Or you can always do the girlfriend analogy. She could be the ex one, I mean X1

Best,

Scott Lee (ASCAP)
    SFX Media 
    Song Composer / Engineer / Audio Director

http://www.youtube.com/user/Dezacrator?feature=mhee

ProjectM
    Re:Annoying snap setting 2011/01/27 09:16:29 (permalink)
    That one's getting old Scott and has become boring. But it is a classic I appreciate all the new ones that pops up. Don't remember them all but they are funny

BTW, I have no issues with neither Cakewalk nor Sonar X1. But I do have a sense of humor and laugh easily.

BTW Again, I never said I have a good sense of humor
    post edited by ProjectM - 2011/01/27 09:18:29

Soundcloud
    Negative Vibe Records
    Guitarpima
    Re:Annoying snap setting 2011/01/27 17:42:07 (permalink)
    I hope they fix it. I like X1, for the most part. Just a few annoyances.

FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    Re:Annoying snap setting 2011/01/27 17:52:03 (permalink)
    I don't use the staff view but you may be experiencing the same bug that happens in the PRV, or possibly a variation of that bug.

A couple of things. Is the screenset you are in locked? I know you've said that you don't use them but you must be using at least one. If it's locked it will always revert back to the original setting. Unlocking the screenset will cure that.

The PRV bug I mentioned is annoying but can be worked round. Basically the PRV setting will always overwrite the setting of the screenset that contains it. So if you set the snap-to to measure in the TV and then open the PRV the PRV's snap-to will change the snap-to you just set, unless it's the same of course, in which case you don't notice it. The work round is to open the PRV and set the snap-to there first.

Now I know you are referring to the staff view but you may be seeing something similar there. Or it may be a completely different bug.

I have answered a very similar question about this recently and if wasn't to you there must be at least one other user seeing the same thing. In that case it's very likely a bug which is best reported.
    Guitarpima
    Re:Annoying snap setting 2011/01/27 21:16:30 (permalink)
    I don't lock the screensets. Locking them game me a headache once because I kept having to rehide tracks all the time in the CV. I'll give your suggestion a try but I'm not hopeful.

keith
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3882
    Re:Annoying snap setting 2011/01/27 22:07:19 (permalink)
    ProjectM

The snap settings have caused a lot of head scratchings. Getting it to stop? X1b perhaps? Fingers crossed - and that's easier without gloves;)

If you're referring to the global snap, then any sort of change to that will not be in X1b per Seth Perlstein in some recent thread. In fact, since it's a feature, and purposely "breaking" a feature to make it behave in a different manner is likely a lot of work, I'm sure it will be the way it is for a long time.
    shawnbulen
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 157
    Re:Annoying snap setting 2011/01/28 00:59:32 (permalink)
    Screensets have nothing to do with it. I set the snap to measure. I then do editing in the staff view. I go to select measure and copy/paste ect, and the effin snap has changed all by itself.
    Guitarpima

I think the X in X1 means "Xtra clilcks".
    I've seen this too, but I don't know what activities cause it to change.  My theory is that it only changes when you're not looking... 

Verified going into staff view & coming back out changes it.  

Dogmatic attachment to the supposed merits of a particular structure hinders the search for an appropriate structure.
     - Fripp
    Bub
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7196
    Re:Annoying snap setting 2011/01/28 01:20:17 (permalink)
    keith

ProjectM

The snap settings have caused a lot of head scratchings. Getting it to stop? X1b perhaps? Fingers crossed - and that's easier without gloves;)

If you're referring to the global snap, then any sort of change to that will not be in X1b per Seth Perlstein in some recent thread. In fact, since it's a feature, and purposely "breaking" a feature to make it behave in a different manner is likely a lot of work, I'm sure it will be the way it is for a long time.
    You sure about that? I thought it was acknowledged that snap is not working correctly and it was going to be fixed in X1b? People were asking for different snap settings for different views and that was not going to be looked at because it was a feature request iirc.

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
    chrisharbin
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1852
    Re:Annoying snap setting 2011/01/28 02:05:39 (permalink)
    Bub

keith

ProjectM

You sure about that? I thought it was acknowledged that snap is not working correctly and it was going to be fixed in X1b? People were asking for different snap settings for different views and that was not going to be looked at because it was a feature request iirc.

Two different things. They are not going to have different snap grids for the next (and maybe never) update. But the "mind of it's own" thing will supposedly be fixed. For example, you go from TV to PRV (or maybe as the op the staff view) it jumps. If it's global, global should MEAN global ;) If you have to set to 1/4 notes, it should stay that way.

I don't actually like it. How it should work is if you want 16ths in the PRV and whole notes in the TV it would make sense for it to remember that and work accordingly.

I think I'm just making things worse..............

i7 860/MSI mobo/8GB ram/win7x64ultimate/X2/profire 610/oxygen 61/running 48k currently.
    ProjectM
    Re:Annoying snap setting 2011/01/28 09:28:21 (permalink)
    keith

ProjectM

No, the Global Snap is widely advertised and a new feature. But there are some fishy stuff going on where things don't quite snap and settings that switches off and changes or whatever. I have noticed strange behavior but I haven't seen any patterns to this. But like someone else says here as well, the oddities of the Snap function should be fixed in X1b.

Soundcloud
    Negative Vibe Records
    codamedia
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1185
    Re:Annoying snap setting 2011/01/28 10:10:51 (permalink)

No, the Global Snap is widely advertised and a new feature. But there are some fishy stuff going on where things don't quite snap and settings that switches off and changes or whatever.

ProjectM: In regards to the bold part in your quote, this is likely the Magnetic Strength setting which is also a feature within the snap settings. That setting is stored in screen sets, and the default screen sets upon installation actually use different settings. I think they should have simply left all the screen sets "Magnetic Strenth" turned off so it wouldn't confuse people (ie: not quite snapping into place) and of course looks like a bug.

Global snap is a feature, and likely won't change in X1B, but the "changing without warning" (and never when you are looking at it - LOL!) has been suggested a fix is coming in X1B. I hope it does! 

Don't fix it in the mix ... Fix it in the take! 

Desktop: Win 7 Pro 64 Bit , ASUS MB w/Intel Chipset, INTEL Q9300 Quad Core, 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, ATI 5450 Video
    Laptop: Windows 7 Pro, i5, 8 Gig Ram
    Hardware: Presonus FP10 (Firepod), FaderPort, M-Audio Axiom 49, Mackie 1202 VLZ, POD X3 Live, Variax 600, etc... etc...
    ProjectM
    Re:Annoying snap setting 2011/01/28 10:15:50 (permalink)
    codamedia

No, the Global Snap is widely advertised and a new feature. But there are some fishy stuff going on where things don't quite snap and settings that switches off and changes or whatever.

ProjectM: In regards to the bold part in your quote, this is likely the Magnetic Strength setting which is also a feature within the snap settings. That setting is stored in screen sets, and the default screen sets upon installation actually use different settings. I think they should have simply left all the screen sets "Magnetic Strenth" turned off so it wouldn't confuse people (ie: not quite snapping into place) and of course looks like a bug.

Global snap is a feature, and likely won't change in X1B, but the "changing without warning" (and never when you are looking at it - LOL!) has been suggested a fix is coming in X1B. I hope it does! 

hey Codamedia!

I know that the Snap values are a part of screensets. I don't use them because on my system they are very slow, so I haven't actually noticed that issue. But it seems to switch off and on - but it could be a user thing;)

The one thing I actually find to be really stupid in Sonar X1 is having to right click on the snap value box to change it. You have one button to turn it on and off and one to select the snap value, but only if you right click it. I don't see the point.

Anyways, it's a niggle and I'm sure it will be sorted out really soon;)

Soundcloud
    Negative Vibe Records
    codamedia
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1185
    Re:Annoying snap setting 2011/01/28 17:52:42 (permalink)
    ProjectM

I know that the Snap values are a part of screensets. I don't use them because on my system they are very slow, so I haven't actually noticed that issue. But it seems to switch off and on - but it could be a user thing;)
    I'm not sure I was clear in my post (that happens all the time). I wasn't really talking about snap values, I was talking about Magnetic Strength values.

You had said "But there are some fishy stuff going on where things don't quite snap". I was trying to point out the little known feature called Magnetic Strength. When something doesn't snap where it is suppose to (ie: doesn't quite get there), it could be that setting. Make sure it is set to high or off.
    ProjectM

The one thing I actually find to be really stupid in Sonar X1 is having to right click on the snap value box to change it. You have one button to turn it on and off and one to select the snap value, but only if you right click it. I don't see the point.
    There is another trick to this. A quick left click turns it on/off, however if you left click and hold for a moment the values drop down for you. Then go get your new value. I'm not sure this is any better than right click or not, but at least it's an option. 

Don't fix it in the mix ... Fix it in the take! 

Desktop: Win 7 Pro 64 Bit , ASUS MB w/Intel Chipset, INTEL Q9300 Quad Core, 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, ATI 5450 Video
    Laptop: Windows 7 Pro, i5, 8 Gig Ram
    Hardware: Presonus FP10 (Firepod), FaderPort, M-Audio Axiom 49, Mackie 1202 VLZ, POD X3 Live, Variax 600, etc... etc...
    ProjectM
    Re:Annoying snap setting 2011/01/28 19:23:21 (permalink)
    codamedia

ProjectM

I'm not sure I was clear in my post (that happens all the time). I wasn't really talking about snap values, I was talking about Magnetic Strength values.

You had said "But there are some fishy stuff going on where things don't quite snap". I was trying to point out the little known feature called Magnetic Strength. When something doesn't snap where it is suppose to (ie: doesn't quite get there), it could be that setting. Make sure it is set to high or off.

Gotcha. Yes, I know of that and have set it to "off" usually. The weird thing is that it sometimes goes back to "Low" even in the same project. Or something like that. It's not very consistent. But not really a biggie for me either.
    ProjectM

There is another trick to this. A quick left click turns it on/off, however if you left click and hold for a moment the values drop down for you. Then go get your new value. I'm not sure this is any better than right click or not, but at least it's an option. 

Thanks for the tip. I actually didn't know. It might help a little but it still annoying to me. Minor thing but I hope some sense is put into this. But in the end, what's important is being able to snap at different strengths and values. No problems there at least;)

Soundcloud
    Negative Vibe Records
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1