Another Memorare song, more tuneful this one!

Author
mgh
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8594
2011/09/06 13:15:37 (permalink)

Another Memorare song, more tuneful this one!

OK on a roll, did this one today, i think it's much better than the last one, though many thanks for listening to that one! It's called Constellations, and has a lot more melody...acoustic guitars, violin, piano, some heavy vocals but also some clean and spoken...i think you will like this one better, especially if your name is Philip ;-) Go to my Soundcloud page or click on http://soundcloud.com/memorare/constellations It'll be on MySpace later...

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd

22 Replies Related Threads

No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    Re:Another Memorare song, more tuneful this one! 2011/09/06 13:54:43 (permalink)
    You just crank'em out dude! 
    This is more ear friendly to us earthlings. :)
    I like those rhythmic two step type passages and i really dig the middle section.   I don't understand the underlying thought or intention behind death metal seeing as metal only rusts and we all know rust never dies....but i've lots to learn.

post edited by No How - 2011/09/06 13:56:04

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    Bob Oister
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2766
    Re:Another Memorare song, more tuneful this one! 2011/09/07 05:08:21 (permalink)
    Hey, Mark,

This is one absolutely dynamite piece of modern black metal!

I love the silky smooth clean intro, and then how it jumps into the punchy verses.  The guitar tone and playing is phenomenal, the vocals are excellent for the genre, and I like how the middle break with the spoken word section adds the feeling of a rock opera production.  The piano and strings section was truly the icing on the cake near the end.

Very high class stuff, my friend, super job!
    Bob
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:Another Memorare song, more tuneful this one! 2011/09/07 08:42:54 (permalink)
    Man I'd love to hear this song sans banjo.

Good job Mark.
    vechung
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 818
    Re:Another Memorare song, more tuneful this one! 2011/09/07 09:48:46 (permalink)
    Yeah the intro was deceiving until the guitars came in revealing the true intention of the song.  You changed your guitar sound to a more hard rock vs metal.  Lots of interesting interludes and breaks.  The piano break sounded great!  Great job on this piece.

http://www.soundclick.com/vicentechung
    https://soundcloud.com/thefoundandthelost

Vicente 

Sonar Platinum, Live 10, Motu 828, Ozone 7
    philz
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2462
    Re:Another Memorare song, more tuneful this one! 2011/09/07 17:17:05 (permalink)
    Another fascinating piece of music, Mark.  I really enjoyed this piece.  It felt 'episodic' in a way, though probably more correctly described as interludes by Vicente.  No matter, I really liked it.
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Another Memorare song, more tuneful this one! 2011/09/08 00:32:40 (permalink)
    On the k701 cans.

Sweetly balanced with much more *meaningful* confectionary for my cronie ears.

Whose Liverpool(?) accent is that chanting wondrous mysteries right before the ELO-id string symphony?  (Oh no! I think I see an ominous black brick wall waveform approaching ... better brace myself ...)

Ah! I knew it; the dog hounds are back -- ha ha!  But they merge well into the mix (... before the virtuous piano hexation dissipates them completely.)

All in all a lovely tale (with even a few magical words); 7 minutes felt like 3 minutes as the intrigue kept growing.  The kicks are exceptionally excellent to my ears as are the timbre-filled performances (if that makes sense).

10/10 for black metal (though not as epic as 'Remember')
    9/10 for rock-symphony (or 10/10 after the chanting Liverpool vocal gets some 2kHz boost or compression, so my ears don't have to strain for his words)

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    morenoise
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:Another Memorare song, more tuneful this one! 2011/09/08 11:13:18 (permalink)
    Hi Mark, nice work, lots of variation. Like it , love that clean solo at 3:52, could be a little bit louder imho.

Rik
    AsherLongley
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 683
    Re:Another Memorare song, more tuneful this one! 2011/09/08 12:09:28 (permalink)
    Just out of the gate, I love the title of the song. Of course, there may be something to the "space" connection it has.

WOW, what a transition. I just got to the double kick section. By the way, what is "post BM elements?" My medical industry reference for "BM" just doesn't seem to be the correct interpretation.

I love your harmonized guitar interludes. Very Marty Friedman/Jason Becker-esk.

You make an interesting point with your dialogue too. I can appreciate the introspection of nature transcending philosophy when it comes to finding truth or answers.

I could have listened to 3:53 - 4:21 for a long time. It is very melodeous and reminds me, again, of some of the symphonic pieces in Cacophony, the band both Marty and Jason were in during the 80s. By the way, if you haven't heard Cacophony, you're in for a treat, because your playing and style are so much like that band. It's a kick.

Great composition MGH. I can really appreciate the interweaving of the various motifs and styles.

Matthew
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:Another Memorare song, more tuneful this one! 2011/09/08 15:29:41 (permalink)
    Mmm, lots to like in this Mark, the VDGG-like intro with the swirling organ, the guitar sound in the first heavy passage is particularly strong, love that, the almost plainsong section..tons o' good stuff. Even got a bit 'Moody Blues' on us in the middle there, I was waiting for the mellotron

That section at 4:35 or so reminded me of a chase, probably the black hound of death on someone's heels

Tasty piano too, phew, you got it all going on here.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    mgh
    Re:Another Memorare song, more tuneful this one! 2011/09/08 19:04:32 (permalink)
    Rick - some metal doesn't rust. some metal combusts in air....erm, thanks for stopping by glad the earthlings feel a little less aggrieved.

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    mgh
    Re:Another Memorare song, more tuneful this one! 2011/09/08 19:05:38 (permalink)
    Bob - despite the fact that i know you are too generous and find good points in everything you listen to on here, i do believe this is one of my better ones (vis-a-vis my last one...ugh) so thank you for the validation. This even had some kinda meaning to the words...

mgh
    Re:Another Memorare song, more tuneful this one! 2011/09/08 19:07:09 (permalink)
    Ed,no that is the sound of the egg on my face...tu m'accuses, je te demande pardon

mgh
    Re:Another Memorare song, more tuneful this one! 2011/09/08 19:09:27 (permalink)
    Vicente - thanks for listening. In fact was same guitar sound, except i played all this in standard tuning,didn't use the baritone guitar...and was mostly in A, so higher again...i don't like getting the listener bored, so glad the twists and turns worked!

geeare1
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1906
    Re:Another Memorare song, more tuneful this one! 2011/09/08 20:36:26 (permalink)
    Hi Mark,

Definitely one of my favorites by you...not because it's more accessible, it's just really great.

Phenomenal guitar playing going into the piano section, which is also outstanding.

Great arranging and mix. Outstanding work.

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
    equality
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 716
    Re:Another Memorare song, more tuneful this one! 2011/09/09 20:08:53 (permalink)
    Interesting harmonies where the first two minor chords are not easily put together but you manage. The hard rock continuation is not my genre really but I hear your skills. The third part is unexpected and sounds a bit like something by Richard Harris from the sixties (Macarthur park?). Lovely piano solo and classical sounding. I like the changes and the original harmonies. The end is too abrupt. It feels unique and I can't remember for a long time listening to a piece which is shifting as much as this. I think about Pink Floyd, Yes, Camel and other progressive rock  bands but still you have a unique style. Fix the ending and you have a master piece right away.
    LpMike75
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1621
    Re:Another Memorare song, more tuneful this one! 2011/09/11 00:51:58 (permalink)
    Hey Mark-
        This sounds like it is a blast to play!  I liked all the sweeping arpeggios in the solo section.  The piano part at 5 1/2 minutes was really cool in a dark melodic way, I loved it.  Nice production and I also liked the snare choice on the drums.  
        Nice mixing it up throughout the piece to keep it interesting and the listener guessing.

- Mike
    Sonar Platinum - M-Audio Profire 2626 , Pro Tools 11 HD Omni - PC I7 6850K - 64 G RAM - GeForce GTX 970
    http://www.soundcloud.com/michael-lizotte 
    Http://WWW.HomeRecordingWizard.Com
    HTTP://WWW.Facebook.com/HomeRecordingWizard
    Http://www.mjlmusic.com 
    bandontherun19
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 824
    Re:Another Memorare song, more tuneful this one! 2011/09/11 02:39:20 (permalink)
    Well first I want to congratulate you on the fact that the mix isn't looking like a brick? And by that, I'm not implying that your mixes usually do? I'm more referring to mixes in this genera? And this appears to have some dynamics, so "bravo." 

I'm not a fan (personally) of black metal? But you have some good guitar tones? And some nice riffs :-) And I like that hook that comes on before the coda? Good job. And the acoustic sound w/strings after the coda? 

You are a talented musician. I, and many others don't appreciate much of your art? But hey, that's the way it goes... It doesn't make you any less talented? You are an artist... Represent!!!
    itsadequate
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 70
    Re:Another Memorare song, more tuneful this one! 2011/09/11 06:54:11 (permalink)
    Nice use of surprising contrast between sections. I like that the distortion in the lead guitar is light enough to hear the detail in the playing well. Some excellent musicianship here - stunning solo at about 5 mins.

Best wishes,
    Malcolm
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:Another Memorare song, more tuneful this one! 2011/09/11 09:35:31 (permalink)
    Cool intro...I love it when the rock part kicks in. Very exciting! The mix is killer too.

String Jammer
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:Another Memorare song, more tuneful this one! 2011/09/11 22:48:52 (permalink)
    I like it!

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    mgh
    Re:Another Memorare song, more tuneful this one! 2011/09/12 05:40:14 (permalink)
    Phil - cheers man! Philip - thanks again for the detail. but really i do NONT have a Scouse accent..really do I? please no...lol Rik - the clean solo, yeah it was a bit of a 'throw it in there...oh hang on, that works ok!' type thing! i like it in the background, it's nice to have little things bubbling under to keep the listener listening! Matthew - thanks! i love Jason Becker's solo stuff, 'Perpetual Burn' is the ultimate in terms of solo albums. And of course, Marty Friedman in Megadeth, though don't really like his solo stuff tbh. Heard a few Cacophony tracks but need to check them out more i think. anyhow, glad you liked it! James - funny how all these prog bands you list i have never listened to, but i have via 3rd parties (ie Dream Theater, It Bites and all these modern prog bands i listen to...) cheers for the kind words!

LpMike75
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1621
    Re:Another Memorare song, more tuneful this one! 2011/09/12 08:40:21 (permalink)
    You don't like Marty Friedmans solo stuff?  The 'Scenes" album I practically wore out in my tape deck.  Much different than the Cacophony stuff

- Mike
    Sonar Platinum - M-Audio Profire 2626 , Pro Tools 11 HD Omni - PC I7 6850K - 64 G RAM - GeForce GTX 970
    http://www.soundcloud.com/michael-lizotte 
    Http://WWW.HomeRecordingWizard.Com
    HTTP://WWW.Facebook.com/HomeRecordingWizard
    Http://www.mjlmusic.com 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1