Another dissatisfied customer...

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Luke73
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 63
2011/01/27 10:38:10 (permalink)

Another dissatisfied customer...

I know many people have already voiced their complaints about X1, but I don't recall too much being said about the changes to console view, as compared to 8.5 (the version with which I began using Sonar a little over a year ago).

I prefer to mix in console view rather than track view, but now feel marginalised, given the introduction of Skylight and the promoted functionality in the track view.

What has been changed for the worst from 8.5 to X1 in CV is:

1. Lost the ability to quick group selected tracks, or tracks which are not adjacent.

2. It is not possible to "write in" volume values in CV, which I often found useful, especially given that it increments in units of 0.4 at lower volumes.

3. I find the pan values too tiny to read.

4. The pan/volume values are too dark to read and get covered up by the little white "square edges" which highlight the selected pan/volume level, thus blocking the view of those values. 

And, although it is not really a CV issue, I am very annoyed by the fact that the ringing of an OHH does not get cut off when it is followed by a CHH, which used to happen in 8.5 but does not happen in X1. I use a lot of OHH's in my songs. And, I've now noticed that if I go back to 8.5, after having installed X1 on the same machine, this hi hat problem applies retroactively to all my 8.5 projects as well. (I have compared with pre-X1 exported versions of my 8.5 songs)

Also, the hi hats just sound more like a washy cymbal now, rather than a crisp hi hat. 8.5 used to have this crispness, but since the install of X1, now neither version of Sonar does.

And these are just the problems I've encountered in trying to remix some old 8.5 songs. I haven't even touched the surface of writing new material in X1 yet, although I've heard others talking about problems with audiosnap, etc.

I'm not dissatisfied with Pro Channel, Skylight, Screen Shots and the new look and feel of X1, but they shouldn't come at the expense of the basic decent functionality we enjoyed in Sonar 8.5.    

32 Replies Related Threads

BlixYZ
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 805
    Re:Another dissatisfied customer... 2011/01/27 11:15:01 (permalink)
    the idea that HH samples sound different in X1 than they did in 8.5 is silly.  the idea that they also sound different in 8.5 since u installed X1 is even more ridiculous.  OHH samples almost always sound bad to my ear.  maybe u r just realizing now how cheezy those samples can sound.  your other beefs are legit and should be reported.
    ba_midi
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14061
    Re:Another dissatisfied customer... 2011/01/27 14:01:34 (permalink)
    1. Lost the ability to quick group selected tracks, or tracks which are not adjacent.

There is a new method to creating quick groups in X1.  You hold the CTRL key while clicking on the track # to create the QG.  Then continue to hold CTRL while adjusting any of the qg's tracks functions.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    Crush
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 138
    Re:Another dissatisfied customer... 2011/01/27 14:22:50 (permalink)
    I haven't even touched the surface of writing new material in X1 yet

Oh lol you wait.. you wait and see..
    n0rd
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 237
    Re:Another dissatisfied customer... 2011/01/27 15:33:53 (permalink)
    Luke73

I know many people have already voiced their complaints about X1, but I don't recall too much being said about the changes to console view

Plenty of comments here. (Make coffee first - it's long).

listen
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 593
    Re:Another dissatisfied customer... 2011/01/27 15:44:04 (permalink)
    ba_midi

There is a new method to creating quick groups in X1.  You hold the CTRL key while clicking on the track # to create the QG.  Then continue to hold CTRL while adjusting any of the qg's tracks functions.

Thanks ba_midi - I continue to learn, learn, learn

- Listen -
    FOH Mixer & Recording Studio Manager
    Nothing but the grace of God - mggtg.

VS 700C - R / CONSOLE 1 / NEVE PORTICO 5017 / TASCAM UH-7000 / SONAR PLATINUM  / REASON RECORD 9 / VMP 2 / UREI 7110's / UA LA-610 MkII / AUDIENT ASP 880 / CREATION STATION 450 V 5 WINDOWS 10 / HOME 64 - BIT / SKYLAKE CORE i7 (i7 - 6700, 4 CORES/8 THREADS)
    ba_midi
    • Total Posts : 14061
    Re:Another dissatisfied customer... 2011/01/27 15:51:26 (permalink)
    listen

ba_midi

Thanks ba_midi - I continue to learn, learn, learn

You're welcome.  Learning is a good thing...  as I like to say (as have others):  "Thought for Food" ;)

PS - I like to consume manuals too ;)

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    BlixYZ
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 805
    Re:Another dissatisfied customer... 2011/01/27 16:59:06 (permalink)
    the idea that HH samples sound different in X1 than they did in 8.5 is silly.  the idea that they also sound different in 8.5 since u installed X1 is even more ridiculous.  OHH samples almost always sound bad to my ear.  maybe u r just realizing now how cheezy those samples can sound.  your other beefs are legit and should be reported.
    Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk]
    • Total Posts : 2084
    Re:Another dissatisfied customer... 2011/01/27 19:03:55 (permalink)
    Luke73

What has been changed for the worst from 8.5 to X1 in CV is:

2. It is not possible to "write in" volume values in CV, which I often found useful, especially given that it increments in units of 0.4 at lower volumes.

3. I find the pan values too tiny to read.

4. The pan/volume values are too dark to read and get covered up by the little white "square edges" which highlight the selected pan/volume level, thus blocking the view of those values. 

Luke,

I'm sorry to hear of your disappointment. Here's some answers to your points 1-4 which may help you out ...

1. Quick Groups have been replaced by Select + Ctrl Click. IOW select multiple tracks, hold Ctrl, and then whatever you change on one track will change accordingly on all selected tracks. Having said that, we know that selecting multiple non-adjacent tracks in the CV is broken. Said bug is on deck to be fixed in X1b.

2. Writing automation from the CV works fine over here. Can you expound a bit on the specific issue you/re seeing?

3. I'm not sure if the font size will be changed, but if it is I'll post back.

4. Yes, the text and values under hte Pan knob can get jumbled quite easily. This is a known issue and I believe it is on deck for X1b, although I have not confirmed it.

Also, which hi-hat samples are not closing properly? Is it a specific kit from a specific synth? Any specific details here would be helpful.

HTH

BEATZM1D10T
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 285
    Re:Another dissatisfied customer... 2011/01/27 19:07:46 (permalink)
    Crush

I haven't even touched the surface of writing new material in X1 yet

Oh lol you wait.. you wait and see..

Obvious troll is obvious. I think we've been over this. People have different work flows when writing new material.
    VigilantSound
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 474
    Re:Another dissatisfied customer... 2011/01/27 20:10:25 (permalink)
    What about typing n volume values? I liked this as well.. hopefully x1b will return this...

ASUS P5BV-C, Intel Core 2 Quad 2.8 Ghz, Q9300,
    4 gigs Ram, Win7-64 bit OSX 10.6
    ADK 9000 I7, 6 gigs Ram, MacBookPro I7, 4 gigs Ram
    MOTU 828Mk3, MOTU microbookII
    SONAR PE X2A, Pro Tools 9.0.6, StudioOnePro 2.5.4
    Ableton Live 9, Waves V.9, 

www.jesseahemmanuel.com

Luke73
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 63
    Re:Another dissatisfied customer... 2011/01/28 00:02:51 (permalink)
    Hi Seth,

Thanks for the response.

1. I was aware of the changes to quick group, using Ctrl now, but my beef was with the inability to select non-adjacent tracks. Glad to hear that is a known issue and that it will be adressed with X1b.

2. I just figured this out about five minutes after writing my post. I found that if I click just to the right of the volume value, then it allows me to be able to manually enter a value. I kept clicking too close to the centre of the displayed value, which makes the fader return to zero. I know that clicking on the fader itself used to return the fader to zero, but I'm not sure why clicking on the displayed volume value (under the fader) should have this effect. And it's a very fine, invisible line between the two.

3. It would be nice to alter the font size, or perhaps just to change the colours, in order to make the values more visible.

4. I was more concerned with the volume displayed under the faders and the peak value (if that's the right term) next to it, which seem too close together on my monitor, and the "square edges" I mentioned in the OP, which highlights on the selected track, just compounds the problem for me.

As for the hi-hat issue, it's most noticeable on one of my songs, where I am using the Steven Slate Old Zep Kit Dry through Session Drummer 3. The ring of the open hat used to be cut off by the closed hat which followed it, but now it continues ringing. And I've even gone back to 8.5.3 to play the same song, where I now encounter the same problem in that version of Sonar as well, which has presumably been caused by the install of X1.

But I have exported wav versions of the same song, from the same file, using the same drums, through the same speakers, where the OHH does not continue ringing when followed by the CHH. That is, it didn't used to happen in 8.5, but since installing X1 (I have both installed on my PC), this extended ringing hi-hat issue now occurs in both versions of Sonar.

I only noticed because I had mixed the song so many times, that I knew straight away it had changed when I first opened it in X1. The only evidence I have now that it never used to continue ringing are my exported wavs of the song made from 8.5.3. But if I playback the file now in 8.5.3, it does continue ringing, just like I first noticed in X1.

Maybe the sound of the sample hasn't changed, but the continued ringing makes it seem that way. But I'm not too sure on that.

So, while some of these issues were due to my ignorance regarding the new software, and my frustration arising from this, I still think some of my grievances are also genuine problems which I hope can be addressed in later patches.

Thanks for listening.
    Re:Another dissatisfied customer... 2011/01/28 00:27:51 (permalink)
    Luke,

You're right about the open high-hat issue with the Slate Zep Kit. There's a few other issues with the SD3 content that were somehow re-introduced in X1 that I've actually noticed on my own before you started this thread. I've started a dialogue with our dev team and my hope is that we can fix them in X1b (no promises but this is a peeve of mine and I'll do my very best to see that this specific issue is addressed).

For now, if you absolutely must have those Zep Kit open hats work correctly you can open the SFZ file of the particular program in Windows basic text editor and assign those open hat samples to the choke group of the closed hats. I don't remember the exact procedure of doing that, but I recall doing it before and once you figure it out its not too big of a pain.

That's not an excuse for our screw up of the SD3 content, just a workaround for now until we can get it sorted,
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Another dissatisfied customer... 2011/01/28 00:36:02 (permalink)

Refreshingly Candid!!!

Thanks Seth!!!

brundlefly
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re:Another dissatisfied customer... 2011/01/28 03:28:52 (permalink)
    For now, if you absolutely must have those Zep Kit open hats work correctly you can open the SFZ file of the particular program in Windows basic text editor and assign those open hat samples to the choke group of the closed hats. I don't remember the exact procedure of doing that, but I recall doing it before and once you figure it out its not too big of a pain.

I think this post covers it:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/fb.ashx?m=1671446

Re:Another dissatisfied customer... 2011/01/28 07:51:45 (permalink)
    brundlefly

Yep, that's it. Thanks for posting the link, Brundlefly.

FWIW it's actually not that painful of a procedure once you get the hang of it (and the link above explains it really well). But that's not to say I won't keep pressing to get this issue resolved (again).

Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:Another dissatisfied customer... 2011/01/28 08:30:28 (permalink)
    brundlefly

I miss Tom...

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    kb420
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1839
    Re:Another dissatisfied customer... 2011/01/28 10:41:11 (permalink)
    BlixYZ

This is exactly what's wrong with users forums today.  You immediately attacked the OP and called his issue silly without even checking to see if there was any validity to what he was saying.  You then took it upon yourself to repost your reply six hours later,  only to have someone from Cakewalk verify that what he is saying was indeed true.

Wow!

"Now, excuse me while I jump into my Jaguar; I need to board my private jet for the usual weekend trip to my mansion on the Big Island. I think Trixie, Crystal, and Heather are already there...must not keep them waiting in the hot tub!"

-Craig Anderton-
    MASEKE
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re:Another dissatisfied customer... 2011/01/28 16:57:33 (permalink)
    BlixYZ

FOOL......!!
    wynnsong
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 504
    Re:Another dissatisfied customer... 2011/01/28 17:22:52 (permalink)
    Hey Seth....

I tried to use the select + ctrl +click for quick groups....it mostly works good except when I want to apply a midi offset to adjust for latency...   I can't get it to work...   Can you confirm it's not a "me" thing?    I have a huge midi track setup and adjusting each one is not pleasent...

Thanks

X3c
    i7 930 12 core 3.20ghz  
    Win 7 64bit
    64 gigs RAM
    UA Apollo quad
    Re:Another dissatisfied customer... 2011/01/28 17:25:29 (permalink)
    With all due respect, let's not start attacking other posters here. People make mistakes and are sometimes wrong (including myself).

And keeping this thread on topic ...
    Re:Another dissatisfied customer... 2011/01/28 17:27:40 (permalink)
    wynnsong

Hey Seth....

I tried to use the select + ctrl +click for quick groups....it mostly works good except when I want to apply a midi offset to adjust for latency...   I can't get it to work...   Can you confirm it's not a "me" thing?    I have a huge midi track setup and adjusting each one is not pleasent...

Thanks

So you're trying to change multiple tracks MIDI offset at once by the same value by clicking the Time +/- box in the MIDI/ Synth track? If so, I can't get it to work either. Must be, for whatever reason, that either this control can't work with quick groups or its just not hooked up to. I'll run this by the devs and see if we can get it sorted.
    wynnsong
    Re:Another dissatisfied customer... 2011/01/28 17:36:53 (permalink)
    Thanks Seth!

X3c
    i7 930 12 core 3.20ghz  
    Win 7 64bit
    64 gigs RAM
    UA Apollo quad
    PeterMc
    Re:Another dissatisfied customer... 2011/01/28 17:38:54 (permalink)
    I can't get the chorus/reverb knobs to work grouped either...

i5 6500, H170M, Intel HD 530, 16GB, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Win 10 Pro (1803) (64 bit), Cakewalk by Bandlab

jkakos1104
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 29
    Re:Another dissatisfied customer... 2011/02/07 10:02:34 (permalink)
    Seth, I currently have HS7 but wanted to upgrade to X1.  Regarding the Zep kit issue, if there is an update or fix, will it be posted in this thread?  Or is there another site within cakewalk.com that I should check?  

Thanks.  
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Another dissatisfied customer... 2011/02/07 11:44:45 (permalink)
    Post #13 covers your issues.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Dave Modisette
    • Total Posts : 11050
    Re:Another dissatisfied customer... 2011/02/07 11:58:58 (permalink)
    PeterMc

I can't get the chorus/reverb knobs to work grouped either...

I would think that this would be considered "as expected."  Since you could grab tracks not belonging to the same soft synth, you might get unexpected results.  Having this in effect could lead to support calls.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    Zyler Vega [Cakewalk]
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 179
    Re:Another dissatisfied customer... 2011/02/07 12:04:49 (permalink)
    Just to confirm, the SD3 hi-hat fixes will definitely be in X1b, as well as adjustments to the selection squares so that they do not overlap Pan values, etc.

Any chance we could get a thread renaming?  That's 4 out of 5 points addressed.  ;)

Zyler Vega 
    Quality Assurance Engineer

DSP Beta Administrator 
    Cakewalk, Inc.

UnderTow
    Max Output Level: -37 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3848
    Re:Another dissatisfied customer... 2011/02/07 12:10:19 (permalink)
    Zyler Vega [Cakewalk
    ]

Any chance we could get a thread renaming?  That's 4 out of 5 points addressed.  ;)
    I think it would be fair to at least wait for the actual x1b patch to be available, wouldn't you say? The issue isn't yet fixed at the customer's end.

UnderTow
    ChuckC
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1488
    Re:Another dissatisfied customer... 2011/02/07 12:29:42 (permalink)
    I just want to say this...  I have not even considered that I might ever want to upgrade to X1 in light of all the problems folks are having & from trolling the forum Cakewalk has seemed near completely absent from threads like this which spoke to me that they didnt care or just plain didn't even wanna hear it.     It's really nice to see Seth & Zyler jump in here & not only be openly honest over some problems needing repair but to help find fixes/workarounds for now confirm that issues are slated for the next update.  I found myself thinking "Cool, there is somebody in the drivers seat after all".

ADK Built DAW, W7, Sonar Platinum, Studio One Pro,Yamaha HS8's & HS8S  Presonus Studio/Live 24.4.2, A few decent mic pre's,  lots of mics, 57's,58 betas, Sm7b, LD Condensors, Small condensors, Senn 421's,  DI's,  Sans Amp, A few guitar amps etc. Guitars : Gib. LP, Epi. Lp, Dillion Tele, Ibanez beater, Ibanez Ergodyne 4 String bass, Mapex Mars series 6 pc. studio kit, cymbals and other sh*t.
    http://www.everythingiam.net/
    http://www.stormroomstudios.com
    Some of my productions: http://soundcloud.com/stormroomstudios
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1