Another noob thread from me about seting a limit on a track please....

Author
Norrie
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1665
2010/11/02 21:01:32 (permalink)

Another noob thread from me about seting a limit on a track please....

Hi all

Useing just the tools I have in Sonar producer 8.5.3 could you please tell me what would be best to use to set a limit on a track ?

For instance on my vocal track I want it to peek to more than -12 at the momment most of the vocals sit just below that so thats ok and I am happy about it but there is the odd part that shoots up to almost 0 or even above

So I am looking for a way to put a limit on that track for instance to not let the meeter go above -12 for instance

What plug in should I use and what should the setting be ?

This is very new to me

I am also very sorry as I feel it will be such a noob question but I have no idea and dont want to get in to any bad habbits

Thanks everyone :)

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
Pro Tools 11
Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
Adam A77x
i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz

17 Replies Related Threads

Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Another noob thread from me about seting a limit on a track please.... 2010/11/03 06:53:27 (permalink)
    Norrie, you can't use plug ins when tracking, they can only be applied after you've recorded your track. (Well, you can insert it on the track but it will NOT affect what's being recorded)

You have 2 options:

1 - record at an even  lower level to avoid clipping
    2 - record with a hardware compressor/limiter in your chain before it hits your AD/Sonar

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Another noob thread from me about seting a limit on a track please.... 2010/11/03 07:05:57 (permalink)
    You always want to record (track) your instruments and vocals with a strong signal. You want the meters to be coming up to but not into the RED ZONE.  If it's an audio track, the wave form being drawn should be occupying a major area in the track. If you have a wimpy wave form you need to bring it up.

The whole point is to get a fairly hot signal to noise ratio. This way in the silence between the wave blobs... you will not hear the mic hiss or other noise.

If you use normalize or gain to bump the levels, understand you are also boosting the noise to the same degree.

My recording philosophy: I use the meters for a reference, mostly in mixing. Stay out of the red on ALL meters. For recording I simply do a few trial runs before tracking. I record a snippit to see what the wave looks like.... either increasing or decreasing my input levels to achieve a nice 90% or better wave form. I want my loudest peaks just under the 100% point.
    As far as recording by the numbers...... no, I don't do that.

And... I always record the audio straight in... no FX, no compression, totally dry..... minus what ever very slight things are applied in the dashboard of my Saffire. I never change those settings. What is there is extremely light..... no reverb. I think a very mild eq and compression for a default vocal setting.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/11/03 07:09:39

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Norrie
    Re:Another noob thread from me about seting a limit on a track please.... 2010/11/03 07:23:34 (permalink)
    Hi Guys

Sorry I dont think I explained my self right I ment after I have done all my tracking

Once the full track is recorded and I am at the mixing stage

If I didnt want for instance my vox to peek above -12db and I have brought the volume down but some times it will shot in to the red

What would be the best tool to put on the track to stop it going above -12 ?

When I was a pro tools user I would have used a brickwall limiter and set it so it wouldnt let anything on that track come above -12

I hope I make sence in what I said

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    Re:Another noob thread from me about seting a limit on a track please.... 2010/11/03 09:25:53 (permalink)
    I would use a volume envelope if you just have one errant part.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Another noob thread from me about seting a limit on a track please.... 2010/11/03 10:38:43 (permalink)
    Typically on vox I use track envelopes.  Norrie your problem is easily solved with it.  Click on the track and a pop up box comes up - scroll down to ENVELOPES and choose gain (there is a clip gain envelope too).  It puts a "rubber-band" on the track for you to adjust volume by clicking nodes and pulling it up and down.  If you have a hot spot, create 4 nodes (it would be nice if we could choose this) and pull the offending bit down.  You can raise a quiet spot or a section, etc. etc.  It is more precise than automation.

The next thing to do is slap a compressor on the track.  I usually use SONITUS and use the 1176 or LA2A preset and adjust to taste.  Just this week I had a female vox recorded through a Portico II, so the signal already had a hint of compressing on it.  The song is "Hip Shake" and she was all over the place - sexy breathy at one point, high held note the next, and then all beastial growly.  Even with the Portico front end it would slide under the song at times.  I didn't have to mess with envelopes - I put the SONITUS comp on it with the Neve preset.  A little fooling with the gain mostly and the vocal just sat right where I wanted it, with the louder passages not sticking out and the lower ones firmed up. 

If you don't have a good hardware comp on the front end (the VS DSP doesn't really count since it is post compression although you can use it lightly compress the signal) you can do much the same thing using serial compression.  That is placing 2 or more compressors in a line, spilling the slightly compressed signal into the next for a little more processing.  W/ the Sonitus (an under rated comp in my opinion) you can use the 1176 comp first to grab the signal and the the LA2A behind it.  Or reverse them.   The general idea is to do do a little processing at a time (rather than state of recording/mixing) which usually sounds more natural than stomping all over the signal at once.

The new SONAR x-1 has channel strips w/ parallel compression built in, where you do heavily compress the signal but bleed back some of the uncompressed signal into the output, again to restore some dynamics.  You can do it other ways - read up.

That is the great thing about mixing - there are all kinds of ways to skin your song.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:Another noob thread from me about seting a limit on a track please.... 2010/11/03 10:48:07 (permalink)
    ultimately, you will want to purchase a nice front end compressor, and use that during tracking.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Another noob thread from me about seting a limit on a track please.... 2010/11/03 11:04:52 (permalink)
    Typically on vox I use track envelopes.  Norrie your problem is easily solved with it.  Click on the track and a pop up box comes up - scroll down to ENVELOPES and choose gain (there is a clip gain envelope too).  It puts a "rubber-band" on the track for you to adjust volume by clicking nodes and pulling it up and down.  If you have a hot spot, create 4 nodes (it would be nice if we could choose this) and pull the offending bit down.  You can raise a quiet spot or a section, etc. etc.  It is more precise than automation.

Can I just say something regarding this:

• If you highlight a selection in track view and right click an existing envelope you have the option to "Add nodes at Selection". This will add 4 nodes you're looking for.
    • I didn't think there was a Track Gain envelope - there's a Track Volume envelope and a Clip Gain  envelope, so one of us is confused
    • "It is more precise than automation". Can you explain the thought process behind this please?

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    ohhey
    • Total Posts : 11676
    Re:Another noob thread from me about seting a limit on a track please.... 2010/11/03 11:59:42 (permalink)
    Norrie

Hi all

Useing just the tools I have in Sonar producer 8.5.3 could you please tell me what would be best to use to set a limit on a track ?

For instance on my vocal track I want it to peek to more than -12 at the momment most of the vocals sit just below that so thats ok and I am happy about it but there is the odd part that shoots up to almost 0 or even above

So I am looking for a way to put a limit on that track for instance to not let the meeter go above -12 for instance

What plug in should I use and what should the setting be ?

This is very new to me

I am also very sorry as I feel it will be such a noob question but I have no idea and dont want to get in to any bad habbits

Thanks everyone :)

Norrie

A hardware limiter between the mic preamp and the sound card would be handy.  However, if you record at 24bit even low level stuff should still sound good after being compressed/limited during the mix.  If you are recording at 16bit get a hardware limiter and hit the sound card input as hot as you can.
    Norrie
    Re:Another noob thread from me about seting a limit on a track please.... 2010/11/03 13:42:14 (permalink)
    Thanks for everyones replys they have all been awesome

I am useing the VS-700 so I know I can put a compressor on before the signal

This is my own fault for not doing so before the vocal track was recorded

I think like what AT is saying to use the envelopes is a better idea
    rather than me just slaping a limmiter on it to stop it going above -12 :)

THanks to every one I am off to play with some envelopes :D

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    batsbrew
    Re:Another noob thread from me about seting a limit on a track please.... 2010/11/03 13:58:14 (permalink)
    hardware compressors, have to come BEFORE digital conversion.

i do not know the vs 700.

if you have a mic input, and it hits the convertors, then goes thru a compressor, this will not work to solve your issue.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

AT
    Re:Another noob thread from me about seting a limit on a track please.... 2010/11/03 14:52:17 (permalink)
    The VS 700 has a DSP comp - after conversion.  I found it a bit flaky and hard to set (I got some "flutter" at times), but I didn't spend much time w/ it.  Still, it could be useful for initial comping, Bat, in flattening the sound a little.  I like nice analogue better, but it can beat nothing.

Bristol,

Cool, I'll give the section hint a go - didn't know that. 

Track volume - brain fart on my part.  I was up late and not enough coffe this morning.

Precise - just that.  I've only got a novation nobby controller most of the time, but even when I had the vS series motorized fader units I still expanded the track and used manual nodes for splosives or small, too loud hits.  Corrective might be a better word, rather than precise.

and thanks for the tip about selections - some days I can be learned.

@

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    batsbrew
    Re:Another noob thread from me about seting a limit on a track please.... 2010/11/03 14:59:39 (permalink)
    AT  i believe you do not understand what i'm saying.

you want to tame the signal BEFORE the digital conversion, not after.

compressing a signal after the fact, does not allow you to get a hotter, compressed signal into wav.

it only allows you to compress the wav AFTER you've already lost your headroom because the peaks on your original signal were driving your input gain down, to keep from peaking.

there's nothing worse, than clipping a signal GOING INTO digital conversion.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

AT
    Re:Another noob thread from me about seting a limit on a track please.... 2010/11/03 15:53:16 (permalink)
    Bat, I understand and agree w/ you. 

But the OP was talking about evening out the sound during the mix, not necessarily getting a hotter signal.  A hardware comp does both, obviously (it is what I use), but the VS DSP comp on the input, even after conversion, can still even out a performance as goes to the hard drive.  That way you don't have to compress so much to float the voice during mixing. 

I'm sure Norrie understands the chain - preamp, conversion and then DSP.  He didn't use the comp when recording and wants to even out the sound now after recording.

@

batsbrew
    Re:Another noob thread from me about seting a limit on a track please.... 2010/11/03 19:34:17 (permalink)
    cool...
    just making sure, because it's a noobie mistake, a common one, to miss the critical position in the chain.

now comes the laborius part...... learning compressors.
    heheh

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

Norrie
    Re:Another noob thread from me about seting a limit on a track please.... 2010/11/03 21:32:02 (permalink)

I'm sure Norrie understands the chain - preamp, conversion and then DSP.  He didn't use the comp when recording and wants to even out the sound now after recording.

@

I am geting there :D

I am like an open book at the momment wnating to learn everything I can haha

One thing I am experimenting with at the momment and I have to say is quite interesting is ....

I have a TChelicon voice works In my rack

I record direct in to the VS-700 then insert a external insert to the efx bin I make a send to the voice works and return back from the left and right outs on the voice works to preamps one and 2 on the VS-700.

By doing this I can then add any efx I want and when I am happy with it I can then freez the track :)

It also meens I can turn up the mic pre if I feel I need to before freezing to get the lift on the vocals

Its been fun to learn to do that I dealy I dont want to be playing about with the pre amps all the time at that stage but being able to use the efx almost like a vst is very very cool

I have also been doing the same with my recently bouught V-amp pro and V-amp bass pro doing the same thing and also getign good results :)

Every day is a school day for me and its been a long time since I was at school haha  ;)

Thanks again guys :D

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    AT
    Re:Another noob thread from me about seting a limit on a track please.... 2010/11/04 01:11:41 (permalink)
    Yea, Bat - there is a lot to learn and it doesn't stick unless you do it right (or wrong, actually - learn from mistakes).

And Norrie, yea it is fun.  I think there is a correction of terminology - preamps are for mic while a line input is just a line.  A preamp bumps the miniscular mic signal up to line level.  I think the VS 700 has combo ins - either XLR for mics or 1/4 inch for line goes into the same input and it autosenses the correct one.  If it has separate inputs for mic and line you should plug the voicebox etc. into the line inputs so the VS sees the correct voltage and you won't be prone to overloading the input.  Again, as Bat sez, it is good to know exactly what is going on (and where!), as well as the terminology.

keep experimenting.

@

Norrie
    Re:Another noob thread from me about seting a limit on a track please.... 2010/11/04 06:29:56 (permalink)
    Sorry AT that is my fault I ment line in put from the voice works I just get jumbled up with a lot of it as I am learning so much at the momment :)

But its better to get the terminolagy right at this level rather than haveing my self more confused later on

Thanks again and also for your reply to my subwoofer thread :)

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1