Any Firebox users yet??? - UPDATE!

Author
Silence Please!
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 51
2005/01/09 22:36:10 (permalink)

Any Firebox users yet??? - UPDATE!

I am very close to ordering one myself but still considering FW-410.
I like the software mixer/router implementation in the 410, but I can't find any info on how this is implemented in the Firebox. I tried checking Presonus website to download a manual, but they don't make it available yet. They don't even really post any specs yet either. From what I can tell they are selling them though. If anyone out there just bought one. I would love to here your experiences and opinions.
Thanks Much!!
Bill
< Message edited by Silence Please! -- 1/10/2005 2:03:22 PM >

27 Replies Related Threads

Silence Please!
    RE: Any Firebox users yet??? - Update! 2005/01/10 13:52:46 (permalink)
    No Replies?... Maybe that's because they haven't left the warehouse yet!!
    Opps sorry. I assumed they were for sale because the Presonus website says "shipping this month" and about a half dozen websites have them for sale... one website even lists them as "sold out" with more expected 1/15.

I just got off the phone with PreSonus and they told me the first 500 were just loaded onto a pallet today to go out soon.

Here's what I found out that is not listed on the website...

The Firebox has DSP software based mixing which allows you to route and mix any of the 6 ins to any of the outs (similar to FW-410, but unlike their own FirePod... at least for the moment). Firepod is expected to have DSP Mixing/Routing in the Future (Firmware/software update).

It is not listed on the website, but Firebox will offer 88.2k recording in addition to 96k and of course 44.1k and 48k.

It has a Coax SPDIF connector not tosslink and therefor is two channel only, no AC-3 or DTS passthrough. I was hoping to be able to pass these through to a HT encoder in the near future for dual use. Not sure if this is a deal breaker yet or not... does anyone know of an easy way to output DVD Multi channel audio to home theater or Alesis Suround Sound Montiors outside the main audio card?

It does have WDM drivers but was told ASIO has smoother performance right now.

If I do get one I'll be sure to post my findings.
    Thanks,
    Bill
    < Message edited by Silence Please! -- 1/10/2005 2:01:50 PM >
    jamester
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1481
    RE: Any Firebox users yet??? - Update! 2005/01/10 23:37:15 (permalink)
    I had the same issue with the Firepod. Ordered it a year ago, it was in the catalogs. Then Sweetwater calls and says it's not shipping yet, but will be within the month. I say OK. They call back again after a month saying, it's gonna be another month. I said "Not OK" and got an Edirol UA-1000. I just couldn't wait any longer!

My bass player has since gotten the 'Pod and it works very well, so the 'Box should be just as good. As for the drivers, it is generally regarded that Sonar seems to prefer WDM. I tried both, and they both worked, but things just felt better (if that makes sense) with WDM, so I stuck with it. Just my findings...

Hope it works out for you - keep us posted!

Purrrfect Audio DAW built by Jim Roseberry
    Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
    Reaper, Live, Sound Forge, Pyro
    Tesgin
    • Total Posts : 77
    RE: Any Firebox users yet??? - Update! 2005/01/11 00:26:56 (permalink)
    I'll be eager for your review. I'm considering it also. I'm also thinking about the Edirol fa-101, though. Sounds like a great unit. I've heard some "question marks" though, about the preamps. Can anyone comment on that? Hard to say, but I've been under the impression that they're a little weak, and that you gotta give it a lot of gain to get f decent signal, which of course means more noise.

I'd be very eager to hear the experiences people have had with the fa-101. People seem to be happy with it.

Preamps being equal, I'm wondering if that's not more bang for the buck as they're in a similar price range.

Any thoughts?

Tesgin
    Silence Please!
    RE: Any Firebox users yet??? - Update! 2005/01/11 22:18:27 (permalink)
    Hmmm... Originally I though FA101 was out of my price range, but after checking Street (Internet) Price it's not THAT much more than the Firebox. For some reason I haven't seen much feedback on it though (Edirol FA101)- has anyone seen any reviews?

I'd like to get something soon, but I have a hard time deciding. Crap.
    < Message edited by Silence Please! -- 1/12/2005 9:42:17 AM >
    7string
    • Total Posts : 89
    RE: Any Firebox users yet??? - UPDATE! 2005/01/12 00:16:48 (permalink)
    I found the FireBox pdf manual somewhere. Maybe it was Musician's Friend.
    I was just reading through it the other day. That is too bad they are leaving
    people hanging for shipment.

Pat
    Silence Please!
    RE: Any Firebox users yet??? - UPDATE! 2005/01/31 09:04:25 (permalink)
    I just thought I would give this a BUMP since the Firebox is now Shipping.
    Scott Lewis
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Any Firebox users yet??? - UPDATE! 2005/02/01 13:22:28 (permalink)
    It does seem to be shipping, or so Presonus says.

Musician's Friend lists it arriving 2/11 ; Zzounds says 2/18--maybe it will be sooner if they're actually on a truck, as Presonus told you, Silence, given that those dates were announced before it shipped and were probably speculative. (At that point, the date had already slipped at least 3 times.)

What Presonus told me was that the Firebox uses the same pre-amps and D/A converters as the Firepod. That seems like a good sign, given that the Firepod gets good reviews. I'm thinking of pre-ordering (which I'm usually loathe to do with a completely new product), since the device the Firebox is modelled on (i.e., the Firebox) seems to work pretty well. I guess there could always be some surprise driver/firmware issue. If so, hopefully they'd fix it quickly. In any case, the main competitor at this price (M-Audio 410) is made by a company that seems to have a spotty history with driver problems itself.

-Scott
    < Message edited by Scott Lewis -- 2/1/2005 1:54:20 PM >
    urock
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 501
    RE: Any Firebox users yet??? - UPDATE! 2005/02/09 14:00:25 (permalink)
    Just thought I'd post my opinion as a person who tried out the Firebox. I only had it for 24 hours. Take it for what its worth, YMMV, etc.

Quick background info to put it into perspective: I used a Delta 1010 for about 4 years. Very happy with the sound and the drivers have been solid since 2002. I decided last year to update to take advantage of new technology (i.e, better A/D, D/A coverters) so I bought the Emu 1820m. I think the Emu sounds better than the 1010. However, the drivers for the Emu are a nightmare. Thus, I restarted my quest for a new interface (RME fireface is out of my price range).

The Firebox is a sturdy unit. It seems very well built. I removed my Emu PCI cards, uninstalled the Emu drivers, rebooted and installed the Firebox drivers. The install was easy and painless. I plugged in the firewire and the Firebox came to life. Sonar 4.02 recognized the Firebox without a problem.

I was able to get 6 ms latency before dropouts. My system is Athlon 64 3200, Asus K8VDeluxe mobo, 1 GB ram, UAD-1, IDE drive for programs, SATA for audio storage. The Asio and Wdm drivers seemed to offer similar performance at 24 bit, 44.1 which is what I record at.

The unit has a nice main out volume control which eliminated the need for the small mixer I've been using. I tried the preamps on a vocal overdub. I really would need much more time to reach a definative opinion on the preamps but the quick impression was that they were pretty good. (I'd say better than the Mackie XDRs I used to have, about the same quality as the TFPros on the 1820m but different sounding)

However, I felt that the sound quality on playback was not as good as the Emu 1820m. Also, I felt that the sound quality on playback was not as good as the Delta 1010 either. The sound did not seem as detailed or rich. Given that the box seems to be well designed, I'm guessing that this is due to the converters the unit uses.

Summary: Hassle free, but sound quality on playback not satisfactory to me so I returned the unit.

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Any Firebox users yet??? - UPDATE! 2005/02/09 14:33:29 (permalink)
    I ended up getting the Firepod and I'm happy with the sound but I was shocked to find out that the driver doesn't let the host program set the sample rate !!! So when Sonar does the wav profiler it will only test good at the one sample rate that is selected at the time via the firepod control panel. It's not like other cards where Sonar can just send a test for each sample rate to see what the card can do. The driver doesn't respond to a request for sample rate change.

If you only work at one sample rate all the time this is not a big deal. But if you need to switch for any reason you have some work to do.

First, understand that Sonar will test the selected driver each time it starts to see if it can do the defaut sample rate for new projects set in audio options. If it does not test OK you get the nasty dialog offering to disable the driver or use anyway. If you say use anyway you get no sound. So, if you want to work on a project that is a different sample rate you have to do all these steps in the correct order.

1. Set the default sample rate for new projects in Options /Audio to the sample rate you want to work at. 2. Close Sonar 3. Set the sample rate for the firepod driver using their system tray utility. 4. Restart Sonar and open the project.

Then to open a project of another sample rate you have to start over....

So, I don't know if the driver for the firebox is any better but I'll assume not since Presons told me it was not a big deal and other users were not complaining.

As for the FW410 I e-mailed M-Audio and they said ALL of their firewire interfaces will let the host application set the sample rate just like a normal sound card.
    post edited by ohhey - 2005/02/09 14:43:55
    BoomTown
    • Total Posts : 72
    RE: Any Firebox users yet??? - UPDATE! 2005/02/09 20:08:53 (permalink)
    Hey man, I'm strongly considering the Firepod as my first i/o device and I'm wondering how badly this sample rate fiasco is going to effect me. I'm also about to sound completely uninformed. Why would I need to change me sampling rate? Are different keyboards, synths, instruments, mics etc etc only effective at different sampling rates? Or is this for 'sampling' in the context of cutting slices out of other pieces and inserting them into my tunes, which I have really zero plans to do at the moment. An update would be appreciated. Thanks a lot, otherwise the Firepod looks killer to me!

The zen philosopher Basho once wrote, "A flute with no holes is not a flute, but a doughnut with no hole, is a danish."
    ohhey
    RE: Any Firebox users yet??? - UPDATE! 2005/02/09 22:19:27 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: BoomTown

Hey man, I'm strongly considering the Firepod as my first i/o device and I'm wondering how badly this sample rate fiasco is going to effect me. I'm also about to sound completely uninformed. Why would I need to change me sampling rate? Are different keyboards, synths, instruments, mics etc etc only effective at different sampling rates? Or is this for 'sampling' in the context of cutting slices out of other pieces and inserting them into my tunes, which I have really zero plans to do at the moment. An update would be appreciated. Thanks a lot, otherwise the Firepod looks killer to me!

The sound quality is killer. You may not need to change sample rates at all and in that case once you get it set correcty you won't notice the problem. I have existing projects recorded on other cards and some client projects that are in 48K and some in 44.1k so it drives me nuts. Another reason you may need to change sample rates is if you track at something other then 44.1, like 48K and then export to 44.1 for CD. At that point if you want to bring the 44.1 stereo file back into Sonar to do any mastering you have to go through the "process" of changeing it. And if you try to use any other program to work on files of different rates you have to remember to set it and then set it back before starting Sonar again. It's just a pain in the @ that I have never had to go through with any other card. Most card just automatically switch to the sample rate the program tells it to do and you don't even know it's happening.
    Silence Please!
    RE: Any Firebox users yet??? - UPDATE! 2005/02/11 12:35:29 (permalink)
    Thanks Ohhey,
    I probably won't need to change sample rates too much, so it's not a dealbreaker for me (if that is also true of the Firebox). My local music store is expecting a shipment of Fireboxes early next week and I asked them to hold one for me . So, I should hopefully have one next week. I'm a little concerned about urocks comment about the output sound quality, but I figure the input side is the most important since the raw recorded matierial can always be remixed elsewhere... you can't fix whats already in the input signal though. Anyway it's my first real sound interface, so I'm not sure I would hear the difference. If anyone could add to this please speak up, otherwise I will post my findings (although I don't have much basis for comparison) as soon as I get it up and running.
    Thanks for all of your input !
    Bill
    ohhey
    RE: Any Firebox users yet??? - UPDATE! 2005/02/11 12:58:58 (permalink)
    When you get it going it will be your turn to do a full report. I want to know how well the Firebox works. Also tell me what options are in the driver and the DSP mixer ! The Firepod doesn't even have a DSP mixer..
    Silence Please!
    RE: Any Firebox users yet??? - UPDATE! 2005/02/11 13:17:08 (permalink)
    Ohhey,
    Will Do... BTW, The Firebox PDF manual is now online at http://www.presonus.com/firebox.html under downloads.
    The DSP mixing looks pretty flexible - similar to FW-410.
    Also, from talking to the guys at PreSonus on the phone, it sounds like DSP mixing is in the works for your FirePod now that they've (hopefully) got it working in the Firebox. Probably similar options - just more inputs. It will likely be a driver/firmware update, I thought he said in the next few months - but the Firebox seemed to take longer than they've been predicting also.
    I'll post my findings when I get the FireBox.
    Bill

ohhey
    RE: Any Firebox users yet??? - UPDATE! 2005/02/11 14:13:34 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Silence Please!

Ohhey,
    Will Do... BTW, The Firebox PDF manual is now online at http://www.presonus.com/firebox.html under downloads.
    The DSP mixing looks pretty flexible - similar to FW-410.
    Also, from talking to the guys at PreSonus on the phone, it sounds like DSP mixing is in the works for your FirePod now that they've (hopefully) got it working in the Firebox. Probably similar options - just more inputs. It will likely be a driver/firmware update, I thought he said in the next few months - but the Firebox seemed to take longer than they've been predicting also.
    I'll post my findings when I get the FireBox.
    Bill

Thanks Bill.. I guess I'll hold on to my Firepod a while and see what happens. I might have to get another card just for mixing and mastering sessions. It's breaking my consentration having to deal with all the reconfigs every time I go to downsample to 44.1 for CD. I'm going to do some more testing with latency tonight and find out what the "rules" are about changeing that.. I'll post a list of does and don'ts and exact steps for ASIO and WDM when I'm done. I'm trying to document as I go on this so I won't forget and goof up.
    Silence Please!
    RE:FIREBOX UPDATE 2005/04/02 11:43:24 (permalink)
    Okay, It's been over a month, but my local music store finally got the Firebox in stock. I picked it up yesterday and after calling tech support I found I needed a patch for SP2. After downloading it and reseating my Firewire PCI card, it appears to be working.

Ohhey, The Firebox does let me change sample rates without crashing. When you click (In Sonar) Options-Audio you can change the default rate for Sonar, but also at the bottom it lets you click ASIO Panel and change the sound card to match. No restart required. It doesn't automatically change to match the sample rate of the demo file, but once you change it manually it plays without crashing or having to restart Sonar as you described for the Firepod.

Now I have a rainy weekend ahead of me to put this box through it's paces. The store is giving me 7 days to return for full refund if I want, so I would like to be thorough and test everything. Since I'm kind of a newbie and barely used Sonar 4PE, I'd like some ideas from those of you who have owned or tested several sound cards as to what you do to test the card. So far, I've been able to record my voice at 24bit 88.2 khz although I only have an SM58 Mic right now. I didn't hear any noise, but I'm not shure if this mic will let me hear the full sonic range. I don't really have anything previously recorded other than the cake demo stuff and some smartloops drumloops CD's I bought. Any suggestions on putting this box through it's paces would be appreciated. I will post my findings for everyone when I'm done.
    Thanks,
    Bill

montezuma
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2520
    RE: RE:FIREBOX UPDATE 2005/06/02 08:32:40 (permalink)
    Well, I have just given the Firebox a little test with Guitar Tracks Pro3 (which supports ASIO) and all I could get was a very weak and quiet signal. I plugged in a CAD m177 Condenser mic into XLR 1, I turned on the 48V, selected LEFT Presonus 1/2 for both recording and playback. The best I could do was as I said a weak signal.

Previously, I tested the Firebox on Guitar Tracks Pro 2, with WDM drivers, and all worked fine.

Right now I am pretty despondent. I plugged the XLR mic cable in while the Firebox was turned on. All the levels were turned down, but I am afraid maybe I cooked it or something. I doubt it though.

I am at a loss about why the signal is so crap. Everything is set fine I think...the bit/ sampling are matched in Firebox settings and in software.

If anyone can turn the light on for me on this, I would appreciate it
    johndale
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3228
    RE: RE:FIREBOX UPDATE 2005/06/02 11:50:40 (permalink)
    What about the +10 and -4 settings (Balanced/unbalanced)............JDW
    montezuma
    RE: RE:FIREBOX UPDATE 2005/06/02 16:08:36 (permalink)
    What do you mean exactly?

One difference is, this time I used a new XLR cable...brand new...I assumed it was balanced?

I have a feeling that it is something simple I am overlooking.
    montezuma
    RE: RE:FIREBOX UPDATE 2005/06/02 17:48:47 (permalink)
    Well, I tried it this morning because it was bugging me all night. This time I tried it with my old cable and the signal was a lot better. I had the gain for the xlr pre set to around 3 o'clock (the max being about 5 or 6 o'clock). The signal was a lot clearer...but I can not seem to get the signal up to around 0db in my software. It hovers around -30db...I assume that 'around' the 0db mark is what you want.

If I turn the preamp to 6 o'clock, I can get it much closer to the 0db, but I also get a lot more chain noise/ ambient noise on the track.

Can anyone help...especially the Firebox/ pod users?

thanks
    montezuma
    RE: RE:FIREBOX UPDATE 2005/06/03 06:04:43 (permalink)
    I contacted Presonus with the specs of my PC and of my mic. This is what they said...

You should be aiming for just below 0dB in the software, however, your
    mic requires 56dB of gain to reach unity (0dB)...the Firebox has about 57dB
    of gain with the +12dB boost engaged, so you should have just enough gain to
    record...make sure that on our control panel, you have the +12dB boost
    engaged.

For those of you who know the Firebox, you would be familiar with the 12db boost in the control panel. I never had that turned on because I thought my condenser mic would be fine with the 48v on the Firebox.

So, do any of you other users use a condenser mic and DO use the 12db boost in control panel?

edit: I get it now. The preamp has a pump up range of +14 to +55 making a total of 45db preamp boost. My mic needs 56db of gain to deliver a good signal. So, I need to use the extra 12db boost.

I can only guess that the numbers -10 to +30 on the gain knob refer to the gain for 1/4" cables?
    post edited by montezuma - 2005/06/03 07:17:49
    johndale
    RE: RE:FIREBOX UPDATE 2005/06/03 11:02:56 (permalink)
    For those of you who know the Firebox, you would be familiar with the 12db boost in the control panel. I never had that turned on because I thought my condenser mic would be fine with the 48v on the Firebox.

2 different things

I can only guess that the numbers -10 to +30 on the gain knob refer to the gain for 1/4" cables?

Just to dail in your gain

............................JDW
    montezuma
    RE: RE:FIREBOX UPDATE 2005/06/03 18:51:09 (permalink)
    johndale, I get it now...the numbers were confusing me. I suck with numbers.
    johndale
    RE: RE:FIREBOX UPDATE 2005/06/03 19:49:05 (permalink)
    Hey whats up. After we have kinda got to know each other here. I think there are a series of books I'll recomend. I have like 8 of them, they fit in a back pocket they are great IMHO. They are like $8 (US) for each one. By a guy named Paul White. They explain everything in "musician" terms and they tell you the techie name for what you are doing, with examples. Here is a LINK to his books. Here is an EXAMPLE of his writing style. Check them out. They have really helped me at 4 O'clock in the morning...........................JDW
    montezuma
    RE: RE:FIREBOX UPDATE 2005/06/04 00:50:06 (permalink)
    Hey johndale, thanks mate, I checked on some Australian sites, and those books seem to be in the country, so I will spend some time looking them up. I have been doing everything very slowly with this Firebox, like installing a dedicated slave drive for music, purchasing GTP3...sad to see GTP2 go...but 3 has the ASIO drivers and a little more in the way of features/ capability. Presonus have been very prompt in replying to my emails. They aren't even using capital letters in reply to my dumb questions. I think I have it sorted now. It's been so long since I actually played the guitar, I wonder if I still can.
    johndale
    RE: RE:FIREBOX UPDATE 2005/06/04 05:52:00 (permalink)
    montezuma, play guitar while your doing all this. My music is my testing ground so to speak. You got to remember I play live for a living. This NG and my studio are actually my relaxation. I stay busy. What I do is take my ideas and develop them in my studio and as I do that I get better at everything. Like I got my own loops for just practicing. I just read and play with stuff till I get it right. There's guys on here like Donnyair and Chaz that are outright experianced producers and engineers. Yjey post, read and take it to heart. speris is like that also. Then you got like Yep he's always right on. Ohhey (Frank) I think kinda does what I do. But he will give you a knowledgable answer. Point being your in the right place. I was looking through my Paul Cook books after my last post (I went to go play, I get their early so I'm at ease when I walk on stage) the only one I don't have is Basic digital audio. So I just ordered it. I I don't think I go a week without picking up one of those books. I have others, to many to name. But they are far more technical and really the best way is to just do it. Thats whats nice about those "Basic" books is with them you can make sure you are not totalaly screwing up. They have some nice wiring diagrams in them also. Well I been up 20 hours with nothing but Pepsi and a fellow band member is coming to get me in 6 hours to go talk to a Pub owner about future engagements. So I'll see you on the return. Play some guitar relav, best teacher there is......................JDW
    montezuma
    RE: RE:FIREBOX UPDATE 2005/06/04 06:03:21 (permalink)
    Exactly johndale. I have now set things up as best I can. The Firebox is operating very well and things are in order. Time to get back into playing. One thing I will have to get used to is the tone/ sound when recording with the condenser mic. This chain is a big step up from my SBlive, radio shack mic days. I will have to pay more attention to room sounds/ background noise etc.

I have played in bands before, but never for a living. I am strictly a home studio hobbyist. I look forward now to getting back to doing what I did in the SBlive days...which is recording for hours on end!

All the best with your gigs. And by the way, I'm on the lookout for those books.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1