Any automated way to export mutliple songs from one project?

Author
Xavier
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 563
2017/06/03 21:53:48 (permalink)

Any automated way to export mutliple songs from one project?

Hello All,

I've been using Sonar since 1.0 and have used it for all the normal production purposes. I play in a band, who practices at my studio. I also host "open" jams at my studio. For band practices and jams, what I do is just press record. Since all the instruments are mic'ed up for writing situations, they are ready to go for jams and practices. I usually only have to do one or two quick wiring adjustments for jams, then I'm ready to record.  Which brings me to my question....

When recording jams & practices, I end up with about 2-4 hours worth of audio in ONE PROJECT -- with many songs. I'll split the songs into individual sections in the time line, then export each song. However, this takes a TON of time that would be better spent practicing my guitar! I'd like to be able to select all the clips I want to export it and have each song exported to it's own file. Either with markers or some combination of features... Anyone know of a way to do this?

I'm a software engineer, so if there was a programming/scripting way I would not have a problem doing it. It would be simple logic to write -- look for all grouped clips between the same points in the timeline and export as individual songs. Can Cakewalk CAL do something like this, or is it really only for MIDI like the help file indicates?

Peace,
Xavier

10 Replies Related Threads

interpolated
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 830
    Re: Any automated way to export mutliple songs from one project? 2017/06/03 22:09:19 (permalink)
    I think CAL mainly works with MIDI Commands although actual host scripting would be a good idea, so you could or someone like yourself could create a Macro to automate a series of action as above.

Using the regions you can solo a selection in the timeline and render only specific parts of it. However as for any other useful methods they don't spring to mind.

I have computer stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/sigmadelta
    Jesse G
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4282
    Re: Any automated way to export mutliple songs from one project? 2017/06/03 23:09:39 (permalink)
    Xavier,

One song at a  time, you can select and highlight all of the tracks for each separate song and go to "Clips> bounce to tracks". After you do that, you will see the tracks for the chosen song bounce down to the first empty track at the bottom of your song. 

Next do the same thing for the second song and then the next songs...  Now you should see a singe track for each song you have at the end of your project.  The beauty of this is that the bounced down song sits underneath of  where your song was on the time line.

Finally,  Move all of the bounced down files to the beginning of the time line. Highlight all of the bounced down files you came up with and select FILE > Export > AUDIO >

Select the following:
    * Source Category > Select Tracks
    * Preset > Raw Tracks
    This will allow you to export each song to a separate wave file wile still in the project.

I hope this helps.

Peace,
    Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
    ==============================
    Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
    Xavier
    Re: Any automated way to export mutliple songs from one project? 2017/06/03 23:14:51 (permalink)
    interpolated
    ...actual host scripting would be a good idea, so you could or someone like yourself could create a Macro to automate a series of action as above.

Oh, interesting idea! Are you talking about Windows Scripting Host or something like AutoHotKey?

I'll look into that and see if there is a way for the script to determine the start and stop of each song in the timeline. If there is then the rest of it can definitely be done by the host scripting...
    Kev999
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3922
    Re: Any automated way to export mutliple songs from one project? 2017/06/04 01:13:40 (permalink)
    Xavier
    ...When recording jams & practices, I end up with about 2-4 hours worth of audio in ONE PROJECT -- with many songs. I'll split the songs into individual sections in the time line, then export each song. However, this takes a TON of time that would be better spent practicing my guitar! I'd like to be able to select all the clips I want to export it and have each song exported to it's own file...

If it was the mix that I wanted to be split, then I would export the whole thing in one go and split it in Audacity.

On the other hand, if I wanted to keep the original tracks and split into multiple projects, I would make several copies of the original project (keeping them in the same project folder), one for each song. Then in each project I would delete everything but the required song. At a later stage I would probably "Save As" each project to a separate project folder.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
    FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
    Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
    Having fun at work lately
    Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Any automated way to export mutliple songs from one project? 2017/06/04 01:18:18 (permalink)
    I think you missed Jesse's post~ It can be done as he described. 

Another option that I use is to break the night into smaller chunks. 

I make a project that has all my inputs armed and ready and named. 
    I "save as"  as many times as required and number them= Saturday Jam 1, Saturday Jam 2 and so on. 
    On the night of the jam I fire up the Laptop and open and minimize all those projects. They will spread out across the bottom of your screen and you can see them if you float Sonars screen. 

So now it takes all of 3 seconds to maximise those projects and they are ready to hit the big R. No fumbling around so I can focus on playing. I multi track live gigs this way and it ends up with 2 - 5 songs per project. Just basically anytime there is a pause in the show I can quickly get a new project recording. On the break I save them all. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Xavier
    Re: Any automated way to export mutliple songs from one project? 2017/06/04 02:45:37 (permalink)
    Jesse G
    Xavier,

One song at a  time, you can select and highlight all of the tracks for each separate song and go to "Clips> bounce to tracks". After you do that, you will see the tracks for the chosen song bounce down to the first empty track at the bottom of your song. 

Next do the same thing for the second song and then the next songs...  Now you should see a singe track for each song you have at the end of your project.  The beauty of this is that the bounced down song sits underneath of  where your song was on the time line.

Finally,  Move all of the bounced down files to the beginning of the time line. Highlight all of the bounced down files you came up with and select FILE > Export > AUDIO >

Select the following:
    * Source Category > Select Tracks
    * Preset > Raw Tracks
    This will allow you to export each song to a separate wave file wile still in the project.

I hope this helps.

Hi Jesse, I appreciate your response!

I think I understand your suggestion. I just tested it out. Unless I'm missing something, doesn't this add a lot more steps to the process?  Currently I do the following for each song:

1. Left-Click highlight the tracks for a song in the Track View
    2. <CTRL+F> -> <E> -> <Enter>
    3. Type name of song
    4. <Enter>
    5. Long Wait..........
    6. Repeat 1-5 for all songs
    7. Done.
    My interpretation of your steps would be:
    1. Left-Click highlight the tracks for a song in the Track View
    2. Click "Tracks -> Bounce To Tracks".
    3. Long Wait..........
    4. Repeat steps 1&2 for all songs
    5. Left-Click highlight newly bounced tracks in the Track View
    6. Move all songs to start of timeline
    7. Slide all the offset new tracks to 0
    8. Left-Click highlight newly bounced tracks in the Track View
    9. <CTRL+F> -> <E> -> <Enter>
    10. Type some name
    11. <Enter>
    12. Go to export folder
    13. Select file
    14. Press <F2>
    15. Type name of song
    16. <Enter>
    17. Repeat 13-16 for each song
    35mm
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1105
    Re: Any automated way to export mutliple songs from one project? 2017/06/04 02:48:57 (permalink)
    I've done this a lot with my band - live recorded rehearsals. I first of all split the recording into songs. Then I create a new project for each one but in the same directory and audio folder. Then I mix each one and master it separately. This works well for me. We do this with 8 channels so it's a bit of a compromise. When we record properly we normally start with drums and lay everything down separately like the old days (which is where I came from).

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
    Xavier
    Re: Any automated way to export mutliple songs from one project? 2017/06/04 02:54:17 (permalink)
    Cactus Music
    Another option that I use is to break the night into smaller chunks. 

I make a project that has all my inputs armed and ready and named. 
    I "save as"  as many times as required and number them= Saturday Jam 1, Saturday Jam 2 and so on. 
    On the night of the jam I fire up the Laptop and open and minimize all those projects. They will spread out across the bottom of your screen and you can see them if you float Sonars screen. 

So now it takes all of 3 seconds to maximise those projects and they are ready to hit the big R. No fumbling around so I can focus on playing. I multi track live gigs this way and it ends up with 2 - 5 songs per project. Just basically anytime there is a pause in the show I can quickly get a new project recording. On the break I save them all. 

Thanks, I can see using these ideas for a few different types of situations. Great idea!

I actually do a similar project thing for these jams and practices: My default start-up project matches my studio wiring. I do File->New Project, type some name, press <Enter>, then press record and forget about the PC.
    For these jam and practice sessions I need to be completely hands-off Sonar. I hit record and forget about it. That way I can focus on my guitar and voice. If I start managing the PC then I start screwing up my playing   Apparently I'm not as multi-task oriented as you are...
    Xavier
    Re: Any automated way to export mutliple songs from one project? 2017/06/04 03:07:12 (permalink)
    35mm
    I've done this a lot with my band - live recorded rehearsals. I first of all split the recording into songs. Then I create a new project for each one but in the same directory and audio folder. Then I mix each one and master it separately. This works well for me. We do this with 8 channels so it's a bit of a compromise. When we record properly we normally start with drums and lay everything down separately like the old days (which is where I came from).

Yah, if I were making an actual album or otherwise distributing songs to the public, I do it this way -- with those extra steps. Or if it was a killer jam that we'd want to listen to over and over, I do this. I agree that each song usually needs it own personal attention and mixing.

For these band practices they are just notebook recordings to generally review how we are doing and have talking points. I just set the levels once for average listen-ability then I export. That set-levels-once-for-all-songs is nice, because it trains us to manage our volumes through the instruments better. Plus I'm recording to 18 tracks. We all know how when we start mixing we can go on forever trying to perfect things In this case I just don't care about perfect, I care about fast...

I'm trying to minimize my time mixing and distributing so that I can spend more time on other things, like playing music and serious recording/mixing of finished songs.

Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Any automated way to export mutliple songs from one project? 2017/06/04 16:09:57 (permalink)
    "For these band practices they are just notebook recordings to generally review how we are doing and have talking points. I just set the levels once for average listen-ability then I export. That set-levels-once-for-all-songs is nice, because it trains us to manage our volumes through the instruments better. Plus I'm recording to 18 tracks. We all know how when we start mixing we can go on forever trying to perfect things In this case I just don't care about perfect, I care about fast..."

For this I use my Tascam DR 40. Most of those recordings are actually 85% OK mostly because we balance the sound while playing. After all the goal is not to be releasing this to the public so as long as you can hear each part I'm happy. The multi track live recordings I do are attempts to make public releases after editing. It's always worth a shot, you might get a dozen good songs out of a night. 
    The Tascam is certainly fast and hi quality. I often don't even break these sessions up much. Just remove all the in between song babble, convert to MP3 and pass it back to the band on USB sticks. In one case I left all the babble to point out how bad a job the front person was doing and how much time was spent flipping though stupid song books between songs. 
    I only ever listen to these recording in the car for educational purposes. I love the new player my son gave me with USB playback. No more burning CD's. 

I agree when playing music no distraction, keep moving and bang 'em off. That's why I always had time to mess a bit with the stop/ start of recording, the rest of them were already fussing with the song books. 
    I'm not about to fill my hard drives with multi track recordings of stuff we will only listen to once. So it's only when I think a performance will be worth it do I drag along my suitcase with the extra stuff needed,, this ( multi track rig) also takes an extra 15 minutes or more during set up, the Tascam about 2 minutes. 

Oh and not to mention the 30 minutes needed to prepare Sonar for the session. Which brings up the fact that you can spend the time before the session getting things ready which will make it nice and easy, or spend time latter sorting out a huge project after the fact..it's still time consuming one way or the other. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1