Any case modders out there??

Author
Carl Jensen
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 621
2006/11/02 07:52:24 (permalink)

Any case modders out there??

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to reuse one of my old Gateway cases for a new DAW and I realized that the I/O panel on the back is machined to only fit the motherboard that originally came with it. Since my new motherboard has a different layout I figured I would have to get another case...unless.

Anyone know how hard it is to cut a square hole in the back of a metal case? What kind of tool would I need? I'm not sure if it's even worth messing with.

Thanks,

Carl Jensen

3 Replies Related Threads

themidiroom
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1170
    RE: Any case modders out there?? 2006/11/02 08:55:18 (permalink)
    You could probably use a jig saw with a blade for cutting metal. (would have to drill a hole for the blade) I had a rack case that I modified. I cut holes in the top for additional fans and custom scsi connections.

Note, I only did this because it was an expensive case and I didn't want to scrap it just because of a few flaws it had.
    post edited by themidiroom - 2006/11/02 09:12:19

The MIDI Room
    We Make You Sound Great!
    http://www.themidiroom.com

Pro Tools HD
    Sonar Producer Edition
    Wavelab
    RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: Any case modders out there?? 2006/11/02 14:43:43 (permalink)
    Anyone know how hard it is to cut a square hole in the back of a metal case? What kind of tool would I need? I'm not sure if it's even worth messing with.

Carl,
    Thes two questions give me the sense that you might be better off just buying a case. I'm not trying to be condescending, just realistic. A Dremel with a cutting wheel would be the ideal tool. A jigsaw with a fine tooth blade might work, but they tend to grab and curl the thin sheet metal.
    Your opening needs to be pretty precise for alignment if you are using the snap-in plate that probably came with your Mobo.
    Wear eye protection! This may seem like a minor project, but those tiny filings will fly, and they are very painful.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Carl Jensen
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 621
    RE: Any case modders out there?? 2006/11/02 16:36:28 (permalink)
    Thanks for the responses guys. Yeah, I ended up buying a new case today which I wasn't expecting to have to do. At least I'll be able to upgrade down the road with the new case.

Carl Jensen
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1