Any flute players in the house?

Author
foxwolfen
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8256
2009/09/08 18:35:41 (permalink)

Any flute players in the house?

I have some questions about how to pitch to flats or sharps. I am having a heck of a time matching all the phrases on a piano (I realize it does nt have the same range, but it must be able to do flats and sharps, no?

Is this embouchure based?

TIA

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum

17 Replies Related Threads

julibee
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2826
    Re:Any flute players in the house? 2009/09/09 01:59:54 (permalink)
    Fox, I thought I replied to this HOURS ago... apparently not. 

Not embouchure based, although different positioning can effect the tonality of sound.  Meaning, yes, there are keys for sharps and flats, but I think that one can "over or under blow" also... I'm thinking waaaaay back to my HS band days here.  No.  I played Sax.  But I listened.

She who must be obeyed. ***New and Improved with a Scarlett 8i6!***
    Soundcloud     www.juliannamcduffie.com
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re:Any flute players in the house? 2009/09/09 04:57:54 (permalink)
    All woodwind instruments have sharps and flats. Its the fingering that makes them. No different on a sax or flute. Flutes are often in the key of C though.

Best
    John
    Spaceduck
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2499
    Re:Any flute players in the house? 2009/09/09 08:58:19 (permalink)
    Are you talking about the transverse flute like in most orchestras? If so, John & Jules are right: sharps & flats are not embouchure based. The keys take you thru the full chromatic scale, but it's not always obvious where to find the accidentals. And to make it even more confusing, often there are 2 or more ways of fingering the same note (I think this is to make it easier to do trills depending on what note you're coming from).

If we're talking about a traditional end-blown, open-hole flute or recorder, I think you're stuck with the diatonic scale for the most part. I've seen some superhuman players who can do the embouchure thing and bend a note to the moon & back. But for mere mortals, there only Cakewalk FX > Pitch Shift

I don't actually play the flute. I just use it as a tool to annoy the dogs. Man they go crazy, running around like "wuzzat? the mother ship has finally returned!"

Spaceduck music [HERE]
    Spaceduck videos [HERE]
    Mitch_I
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 212
    Re:Any flute players in the house? 2009/09/09 10:51:17 (permalink)
    Sounds like you need a fingering chart for your instrument. Google "woodwind fingering guides."

If your question is about trying to play each note in tune, there are things you can do with changing the shape of the inside of your mother (letter O lowers pitch), the position of your chin, and the position of the flute (rolled out or in). You can learn these things with just the head joint.

Mitch I.
    rumleymusic
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1533
    Re:Any flute players in the house? 2009/09/09 14:28:36 (permalink)
    "Fox, I thought I replied to this HOURS ago... apparently not. "

Odd, I replied to this post also, and it vanished.  Weird....
    julibee
    Re:Any flute players in the house? 2009/09/09 18:10:54 (permalink)
      ^
    Completely!

foxwolfen
    Re:Any flute players in the house? 2009/09/10 16:00:15 (permalink)
    Odd indeed. Up till a few minutes ago, this thread appeared empty to me....

Bizarre.

Thank you everybody for replying.

I have a cheapo Jupiter flute, the kind you buy for practice. It seems to have the full range of keys:

http://www.jupitermusic.c...=2&sId=1&pId=6

Looking at that picture, it also seems I have had it assembled wrong for the last year. That may explain some of my confusion heheh.

I noticed that the pitch is very mutable depending on the embouchure, but its a lot of work. Part of the other problem is the keys are nonlinear... you have to close some lower keys to hit a higher note, though the holes themselves are linear it seems. This is confusing the heck out of me.

Looking over the fingering chart (I dunno why I did not think of that myself) it seems I was on the right track, but I (or my flute) am out of tune.

This is a bloody difficult and cryptic instrument to play. At least I dont get dizzy anymore. And maybe the new assembly will be easier on my left thumb tendons as there seems to be more support this way.

Back to practicing.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    Spaceduck
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2499
    Re:Any flute players in the house? 2009/09/10 16:11:30 (permalink)
    foxwolfen

Looking at that picture, it also seems I have had it assembled wrong for the last year. That may explain some of my confusion heheh.

I'm picturing all sorts of hilarity.

I hope at least you know to strum it with your right hand.

Spaceduck music [HERE]
    Spaceduck videos [HERE]
    foxwolfen
    Re:Any flute players in the house? 2009/09/10 16:51:42 (permalink)
    Actually, it turns out I and the picture above are both wrong. It is halfway in-between. I had the keys lined up with the foot, the pic above has the pads... in reality, it should be the bar assembly. That makes a lot more sense now.

Yes, strumming is ok, but pick work is turning out to be a challenge

Composers Forum
    julibee
    Re:Any flute players in the house? 2009/09/10 19:28:03 (permalink)
    HINT!  When we were tuning up in band, I remember the flutists adjusting sharp or flat by pulling the mouthpiece section in or out.... Right?  Yeah, I think so.  But agian... Loooooong time ago!

foxwolfen
    Re:Any flute players in the house? 2009/09/11 14:16:04 (permalink)
    I DO NOT UNDERSTAND THE FINGERING CHARTS!!!!

GAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

I need fingering charts for dummies... one with pictures... of a real flute, not some symbolic drawing.

So, it turns out that its both embouchure and keys, kinda like brass. Octaves are velocity based.

Jules - yeah, I actually found a vid where they teach you to first learn to blow into the mouthpiece alone, it is not connected to the body. It seems the pitch is slightly off naturally, but I may be able to tune it as you suggest.

In the right hands it is a remarkable instrument... in mine... OUCH!

Composers Forum
    julibee
    Re:Any flute players in the house? 2009/09/12 00:50:08 (permalink)
    I couldn't ever play it, either.

Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Any flute players in the house? 2009/09/14 14:54:48 (permalink)
    Tuning is affected both by the how you blow into it and by the distance you set the headpiece in... Usually one pulls the head joint out about the width of a quarter.

The flute can be rolled while playing into the mouthpiece... I think rolling it away from you causes it to go flat. Rolling toward, sharp.

Also there is a stick that looks like an oversized needle that you should have. You stick it into the headpiece of the flute, (without it attached to the rest of the flute) with the side that looks like the eye of a needle sticking out. There is a line that should be on the oversized needle close to where the end of the headpiece is ... If this is off, there is a screw-type cap on the headjoint of the flute, to the left of the mouthpiece... Clockwise sends the cork on the end outward. Counter, inward.  The goal is to line the line on the stick up with the edge of the flute.

Please tell me if this helps!
    ~Caleb

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    foxwolfen
    Re:Any flute players in the house? 2009/09/14 15:33:58 (permalink)
    I had no idea about the stick trick. I thought that was to clean it with. I also had no idea the end cap came off. I think my flute may slightly different - indeed when I put the stick into the end, the line lines up close to the center of the hole in the mouthpiece - kinda like a carpenter's level.

It seems to be slightly off center, but my cap is just that, a cap. There is a rod the cap screws too, so I put the cap back on about half way and pushed it toward the headpiece body a bit and sure enough, it went in. I then measured it again and it was now too far the other way (which is good) so I tightened the cap and that pulled it back to where it should be and remained tight.

Not only is it now in tune, it is actually easier to play.

I also just blew into the headpeice (covering the end hole to lower the tone) and rolled the mouthpiece as you described. Sure enough... flat to sharp.

Very good advice. Thank you Caleb.

Composers Forum
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Any flute players in the house? 2009/09/14 18:22:51 (permalink)
    I am more than happy to share a pearl of wisdom with those willing to accept!
    ~Caleb

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    julibee
    Re:Any flute players in the house? 2009/09/14 20:30:51 (permalink)
    Now... are you going to share a flute solo with us??? :)

foxwolfen
    Re:Any flute players in the house? 2009/09/14 22:35:03 (permalink)
    I dunno how much more the forums can take of my horrible musical abilities. But yeah, one of these days. I was hoping to get some on the last two songs, but progress has been slower than I had hoped.

Thanks for asking.

Cheers
    Shad

Composers Forum
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1