Any idea if the M1 LE synth can receive more sounds?

Author
rbowser
Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6518
2010/03/16 21:28:23 (permalink)

Any idea if the M1 LE synth can receive more sounds?

I've spent my afternoon on a wild goose chase.  I read online that the Korg Legacy Synth, M1 LE could receive more sound banks via Sys Ex.  But I'm thinking at this point that it may be only the full purchased version which can do this. 

The LE version can load Korg sound banks in the Fxb format, but I've tried all sorts of virtual MIDI cable tools (Yoke, LoopBe et al) to get some Syx Ex sound banks into the stand-alone version of M1 LE with no success.

I'm posting in case one of you Sonar whizzes have cracked this particular nut.

rbowser

Sonar X3e Studio
Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
Alesis i|O2 interface
Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
with dual monitors

11 Replies Related Threads

bvideo
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1707
    Re:Any idea if the M1 LE synth can receive more sounds? 2010/03/19 11:32:59 (permalink)
    Does the LE version have the tiny little [file] button under the MODE designation in the upper left corner (not the file menu)?
    Bill B.
    rbowser
    Re:Any idea if the M1 LE synth can receive more sounds? 2010/03/19 12:03:32 (permalink)
    bvideo

Does the LE version have the tiny little [file] button under the MODE designation in the upper left corner (not the file menu)?
    Bill B.

Thanks for the reply, Bill.  Yes, that's where banks are loaded on the LE, but the only options are either .fxb files, or "m1leall" files.

Info I've found online is that the software versions of the M1 can't receive sysex packets which have mutiple parts, combis and multis - So on a user Forum, a Korg user provided a sysex file splitter, to send each segment out separately.  But the M1 LE isn't responding when I send this data to it.  Like I said, I think it's possible that Korg didn't enable this light version to receive sysex - but that's just a theory that I haven't seen confirmed or dis-proven.

It's a great soft synth, one of the best I think - just rather limited with its one sound bank, and all those hundreds of other sounds tantalizingly listed in the GUI, but greyed out.

rbowser

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re:Any idea if the M1 LE synth can receive more sounds? 2010/03/19 12:06:47 (permalink)
    Try using Sonar with its sysex editor to send the sysex to the M1 inserted on a track.

Best
    John
    rbowser
    Re:Any idea if the M1 LE synth can receive more sounds? 2010/03/19 12:51:16 (permalink)
    John

Try using Sonar with its sysex editor to send the sysex to the M1 inserted on a track.

Thanks, John, that was a good idea.  The first method I tried the other day was using the Sysex window to hopefully send to an instance of M1 in the synth rack.  Reminded me of back when I only used hardware synths, and was always using the Sysex editor to include patch set ups for projects.

But I hadn't thought of inserting an M1 in a track, since I never work with soft synths that way.  I tried it - still no response.

Was still a good idea, thanks for it.

rbowser

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    John
    Forum Host
    Re:Any idea if the M1 LE synth can receive more sounds? 2010/03/19 12:57:50 (permalink)
    Try putting the sysex data in the track via the event list. Or drag and drop it if you can in the track.
    post edited by John - 2010/03/19 13:06:29

Best
    John
    rbowser
    Re:Any idea if the M1 LE synth can receive more sounds? 2010/03/19 13:50:10 (permalink)
    John

Try putting the sysex data in the track via the event list. Or drag and drop it if you can in the track.

H'lo again, John - Thanks for all your ideas. - I couldn't see how to get the data to the synth via the event list - ?  Drag and drop didn't work either.  Well, we're giving it the old college try at least.

rbowser

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    John
    Forum Host
    Re:Any idea if the M1 LE synth can receive more sounds? 2010/03/19 13:57:56 (permalink)
    Sorry man. I was hoping something would work.

Best
    John
    rbowser
    Re:Any idea if the M1 LE synth can receive more sounds? 2010/03/19 14:02:28 (permalink)
    John

Sorry man. I was hoping something would work.

You've been great, John.  I'll keep looking at that Korg user's Forum - I'm betting the info will be that only the purchased version of the soft M1 can receive sysex.  That would make some sense - being able to expand the free version's library could make a purchase seem unnecessary.

I was hoping a Sonar user had sussed this out with success.  Maybe someone here has done that and will see this thread.

Thanks again.
    rbowser

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    NoKey
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 974
    Re:Any idea if the M1 LE synth can receive more sounds? 2010/03/19 14:42:14 (permalink)
    I really don't see why a Sysex be required to send a bank-change...And I'd be surprised if it's so.

If there's no banks to change to, that'd be a different thing.

So, first I'd make sure where the Sysex requirement comes from.

What does the manual of the synth say about bank changes?
    rbowser
    Re:Any idea if the M1 LE synth can receive more sounds? 2010/03/19 15:19:47 (permalink)
    NoKey

I really don't see why a Sysex be required to send a bank-change...And I'd be surprised if it's so.

If there's no banks to change to, that'd be a different thing.

So, first I'd make sure where the Sysex requirement comes from.

What does the manual of the synth say about bank changes?

Thanks for the post, NoKey

I'm not trying to send a bank-change, I'm trying to get more banks In to the synth.  So yes, there are no banks to change to.  The synth comes with one bank, and a preview of others which you get if you purchase the full version.  I had the impression when I started Googling on the subject, that it was possible to send sysex to this unit, because the instruments are re-programming of the loaded samples.  But as I've said, I suspect that this light version can't receive sysex.

Thanks again anyway.

rbowser

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    NoKey
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 974
    Re:Any idea if the M1 LE synth can receive more sounds? 2010/03/20 00:30:46 (permalink)
    What you say makes all sense...The upgrade will give you more.

It's kind of bizarre that, in the past, LE (limitted edition) in a car meant that because it was above the usual it was a "Limitted Edition".

But in softwares now it means just the opposite..."Limited" means "diminished" in a literal way.

Isn't such use in sofwares a marketing depravity, at least when they started using the term so?

I'm glad my Sonar LE is still beyond me, though.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1