Any issues installing 32-bit AFTER 64-bit SONAR X1 (or X2) is installed?

Author
planetearth
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 763
2014/04/16 01:22:34 (permalink)

Any issues installing 32-bit AFTER 64-bit SONAR X1 (or X2) is installed?

Since E-MU's Proteus player won't work in a 64-bit DAW (even with jbridge or Sonar's own bridge), I'll have to install the 32-bit version of Sonar X1 (and maybe X2) to get what I can out of the many projects where I used Proteus.

To that end, has anyone installed the 32-bit version of Sonar after installing the 64-bit version and then had problems with either? I know everything is supposed to have its own directory and Registry entries, so I doubt the 32-bit version will overwrite anything. And I know I'll have to install the 32-bit versions of the VSTs. I just don't want to screw up my 64-bit environment now that I have it running smoothly.

Thanks!

Steve

SONAR Platinum ▪ NI Komplete, Korg DLC, Arturia V5 Collection, Dimension Pro, IK Multimedia & other synths ▪ Les Paul, Peavey and Yamaha guitars. Listen to some of my stuff here: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife . Comments from other SONAR users are always welcome!
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Any issues installing 32-bit AFTER 64-bit SONAR X1 (or X2) is installed? 2014/04/16 01:27:13 (permalink)
I have never installed a 32bit version before or after a 64bit version but since there is no way to install them concurrently the choices are limited? This is one reason restore points and backup software exist. The software and registry entries are separate. One thing that happens when installing 64bit only (or first) is the 32bit plug-ins that work in a 64bit host are installed in the 64bit VSTPlugins directory. I do not know if the 32bit plug-ins are duplicated in the 32bit VSTPlugins directory.

post edited by scook - 2014/04/16 01:39:13
planetearth
Re: Any issues installing 32-bit AFTER 64-bit SONAR X1 (or X2) is installed? 2014/04/16 03:34:49 (permalink)
When you say they can't be installed concurrently, is that in the license? I ask because I thought I'd read here that you actually could install both--as long as you're not using both at the same time, or on two computers at the same time. I wouldn't be using both at the same time, of course. I just want to be able to render tracks from the projects that use Proteus, and then import the audio into the 64-bit version.

Steve

SONAR Platinum ▪ NI Komplete, Korg DLC, Arturia V5 Collection, Dimension Pro, IK Multimedia & other synths ▪ Les Paul, Peavey and Yamaha guitars. Listen to some of my stuff here: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife . Comments from other SONAR users are always welcome!
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Any issues installing 32-bit AFTER 64-bit SONAR X1 (or X2) is installed? 2014/04/16 08:10:25 (permalink)
I mean the installer uses a radio button to select the version to install. When installing both versions on the same machine, one must be installed before the other. There is no licensing issue and people have written about having both on the same machine. Since the 64bit installation does place 32bit plug-ins in the 64bit VSTPlugins directory, I when installing 32bit SONAR after 64bit, some plug-ins get duplicated in the 32bit VSTPlugins directory.
planetearth
Re: Any issues installing 32-bit AFTER 64-bit SONAR X1 (or X2) is installed? 2014/04/16 19:22:46 (permalink)
scook
I mean the installer uses a radio button to select the version to install. When installing both versions on the same machine, one must be installed before the other. There is no licensing issue and people have written about having both on the same machine. Since the 64bit installation does place 32bit plug-ins in the 64bit VSTPlugins directory, I when installing 32bit SONAR after 64bit, some plug-ins get duplicated in the 32bit VSTPlugins directory.

Ah, ok. Thanks.

I'm not too worried about the VSTs; I can sort them out or back them up before hand. I'm more worried about any other settings. But, based upon what you've said, it sounds like it should work well enough for me to render the Proteus sounds out of the old projects. Then all I have to do is make sure I don't change the song in the new project.

Too bad nothing reads the Proteus presets....

Thanks again!

Steve

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1