Any suggestions for a good studio chair?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
droddey
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5147
2007/09/09 02:08:20 (permalink)

Any suggestions for a good studio chair?

I didn't see any threads on this subject, so I figured I'd ask. I'm selling my home theater and putting the money into studio upgrades, and that also means the home theater room can become the studio and get it out of my bedroom, with a dedicated quad core and better sound treatement and all that. That means I need a second chair, both so that I don't have to push my software development chair in there every time I want to work, and because that chair is not particularly quiet and I don't want squeaky chair noise in the mic.

I could obviously just to to the local office supply store, which is where I got the one I'm using. But are there any more specialized options out there that are super-quiet and also comfortable and supportive?

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
www.charmedquark.com

41 Replies Related Threads

mwd
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 627
    RE: Any suggestions for a good studio chair? 2007/09/09 12:16:48 (permalink)
    Droddey... been in Office Products for 40 years. There is a huge difference in the discount house chairs and a quality chair. HON is by far the leading chair maker with decades of experience. The ones that are good for you and would be considered an "all day" chair (as opposed to a 20 minute chair) is going to have ergonomic qualities.

The primary differences are going to come from:

Construction - Pick it up. A good quality chair is heavy. No if, and or buts.
    Adjustments - Higher quality chairs have tons of adjustments to custom fit the posture to you. Lower quality basically go up and down and the back sometimes raises up and down.
    Expense - While not always the case the better the chair... the more it cost. (***see below)
    Fabric - The better the fabric the more it cost. Sometimes the same chair can be had in say an A,B or C fabric grade which affect the cost.

*** If you can go to a mom and pop office furniture store you can sometimes save money in these ways. A custom chair that was ordered and the fabric came in wrong. They are sometimes either stuck with it or it was comped to them so they have zero in it. Shipping chair mistakes back is not feasible. Also we order chairs in bulk for a local Air Force Base and also our College. We might have a customer order 90 chairs and maybe we get another level price break at 100 so we order 10 extra. Those 10 chairs are super high quality that we got a huge break on. We can pass that along to our customers. That's why I say try a mom and pop store and they can cover the chair adjustments with you. Makes a big difference. Might let you concentrate on your music instead of why your legs are going numb. The big box stores usually can't do anything more than telling you aisle 7.

marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    RE: Any suggestions for a good studio chair? 2007/09/09 16:19:37 (permalink)
    I have to use 2 chairs. One without arms so I can be comfortable sitting recording guitars. The other with arms so I can rest my arms while mixing. Keep that in mind.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    losguy
    Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5506
    RE: Any suggestions for a good studio chair? 2007/09/09 18:24:49 (permalink)
    I tried this chair in a local boutique recording studio and I loved it:

Herman Miller Aeron

I would have bought one for myself, too, until I saw the price tag. I'm still waiting for some competition in this high-end arena to bring in some similar features at a lower price point.

Psalm 30:12
    All pure waves converge at the Origin
    coldsteal2
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 741
    RE: Any suggestions for a good studio chair? 2007/09/09 18:26:27 (permalink)
    I use Lazyboys, but thats just me......im lazy

Intel Core 2 Duo 6600
    Intel Extreme Edition 975BX2KR Mobo
    2Gigs DDR2 667
    2 250Gig WD SATA
    E-Mu 1616M PCI
    SB X-Fi Fatality Pro
    NVidia 8800 GTS
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=678085
    http://www.myspace.com/coldsteal2
    droddey
    RE: Any suggestions for a good studio chair? 2007/09/09 18:58:09 (permalink)
    The Aeron thing looks nice. How much was it? I assume it's probably like $500'ish or something? That's way more than I can justify. I have to put as much as possible into the equipment and room treatment. I'll probably just end up hitting the local office supply place and see what I can find.

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    mwd
    RE: Any suggestions for a good studio chair? 2007/09/09 22:31:59 (permalink)
    If you like the mesh chair there is a brand called Basyx (aka BSX). It's a subdivision of HON and these are decent chairs.

Sample of BSXVL701ST11 here

Can be had for about half of what you mention (250 or so) and some places have free shipping.

Any mesh chair you buy... sit in it first. They don't look comfortable on first glance but they really are but some of them the mesh seat is slick.

Almost slid into the floor first one I sat in.

The sample above is kinda' neat the back is mesh and the seat is standard.

droddey
    RE: Any suggestions for a good studio chair? 2007/09/09 22:43:51 (permalink)
    That's more reasonable. I'll have to see where I come out on funds in the end.

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: Any suggestions for a good studio chair? 2007/09/09 23:59:57 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mwd
    ...Any mesh chair you buy... sit in it first. They don't look comfortable on first glance but they really are but some of them the mesh seat is slick...

Also, for a studio chair, sit in it on a hard surface and rock back and forth and wheel it around. Pick it up and shake it. Take a look at the contruction (especially the wheels) and estimate how likely they are to remain silent.

I can't tell you how much money I and others I know have spent on comfortable, good-looking chairs that squeak, rattle, or creak after a few weeks of use, or that clatter across hardwood floors whenever the sitter shifts position. In a dedicated control room this is maybe not such a big deal but in a one-room home studio it's a royal PITA. And even most control rooms get a fair amount of use for tracking. Any time you're buying studio equipment, noise is a worthwhile consideration.

Cheers.
    droddey
    RE: Any suggestions for a good studio chair? 2007/09/10 00:52:48 (permalink)
    Yeh, that's the problem with my current chair (which will stay in the bedroom for software development after the studio moves to the other room.) It was quite solid and quiet for a while, but with some wear and tear it's loosened up a lot and has more creaks and groans (a lot like myself.)

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    themidiroom
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1170
    RE: Any suggestions for a good studio chair? 2007/09/10 10:05:01 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: losguy

Herman Miller Aeron

I would have bought one for myself, too, until I saw the price tag. I'm still waiting for some competition in this high-end arena to bring in some similar features at a lower price point.

We have those at work and they are really nice. If they ever decide to get rid of them, I would definately grab a few.

The MIDI Room
    We Make You Sound Great!
    http://www.themidiroom.com

Pro Tools HD
    Sonar Producer Edition
    Wavelab
    losguy
    RE: Any suggestions for a good studio chair? 2007/09/10 11:04:51 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: droddey
    ...but with some wear and tear it's loosened up a lot and has more creaks and groans (a lot like myself.)

I resemble that remark!

losguy
    RE: Any suggestions for a good studio chair? 2007/09/10 11:05:51 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: themidiroom
    We have those at work and they are really nice. If they ever decide to get rid of them, I would definately grab a few.

If they do, I'll fly out and stand in line with you at the auction.

cryophonik
    Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4724
    RE: Any suggestions for a good studio chair? 2007/09/10 11:35:05 (permalink)
    I have a couple of office chairs in my home studio that I bought from the big box office supply stores- one without arms for playing bass/guitar and one with arms that I use for pretty much everything that I do at the computer. I also have a keyboard bench that I sometimes use for bass/guitar - works great but not the most stable. The chair with arms has a high back and excellent support, but does get a little squeaky on occasion. A little WD40 usually takes care of that. But here's a simple and free solution: stand up when recording. I do this when I'm tracking my singers' vocals - it prevents any chair-related noise, gets me off my a$$ for a few minutes at a time, and makes long sessions much easier on my back. It's even easier if you have something like an AlphaTrack or a Tranzport.

Dean - is the floor in your studio carpeted?

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
    Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

droddey
    RE: Any suggestions for a good studio chair? 2007/09/10 12:25:47 (permalink)
    Yeh, it is. It's my 'living room', which is kind of a really over-glorified term given the size. Here is a picture of it as it currently is, as my home theater. I'm selling all the home theater stuff and putting the money into the studio, and this room will become the studio:

http://www.charmedquark.com/Web/Gallery/CQCDemo1/FrontView.jpg

The curtain will remain, and there's one on the back wall also. The room is open in the back in both directions, one into the kitchen and the other into the bathroom/bedroom. I'll be putting foam behind the curtain and on the side walls, and getting some bass traps for the corners and maybe for the walls if needed. Since it's open on both sides, it actually has fairly good bass response. It doesn't build up in the room too bad, and the rooms it opens into act kind of like elaborate bass traps themselves.

The bass response in the home theater (much more bassy than music would be) is pretty good with correct sub placement. There are a few peaks and dips which hopefully the bass traps will help with, and also the studio requires less space, so I'll offset the position a little to the right, which will further help with that, since it's always better to be a little asymmetrical in the placement of the listening position.
    post edited by droddey - 2007/09/10 12:28:58

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    yep
    RE: Any suggestions for a good studio chair? 2007/09/10 12:54:01 (permalink)
    If the studio is going in a living room, and if you're pretty good at dealing with wire runs (which you obviously are), allow me to suggest for consideration an idea I've been kicking around for awhile:

Forget about the typical "office-style" setup for a control room and consider the possibility of a "living room" style studio, where you sit on the couch and have a computer keyboard/control surface on the coffee-table or on your lap or whatever, and your rackmount gear like end-tables on casters or some such. The TV screen becomes your computer monitor.

Computer-based recording makes such a setup entirely possible, and may provide a better listening position than the traditional face-in-front-of-a-computer screen setup. It could also make the room more comfortable and more versatile, both for recording purposes and for general hanging out.

There are obviously a lot of peripheral considerations, for instance if you use a large-format mixing console it would probably be impractical. But if you're a home producer working mostly or entirely in the box, then all you really need in reach is a keyboard, mouse, a patchbay and maybe a few of pieces of rackmount gear. Instruments and such could be set up to create a comfortable jam room.

Not so much a recommendation, just an idea to consider.

Cheers.
    droddey
    RE: Any suggestions for a good studio chair? 2007/09/10 16:13:55 (permalink)
    These days though, you can't get anything that really sharp resolution at 1600x1200, much less at the 3200x1200 you'd get from a pair of 20" monitors. And I really need that much real estate to work productively myself (at least one 1600x1200 monitor, which is what I'll have, and two if I sell everything and have some left over.) Otherwise, it would be a nice idea and very comfy.

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    yep
    RE: Any suggestions for a good studio chair? 2007/09/10 16:53:02 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: droddey

These days though, you can't get anything that really sharp resolution at 1600x1200, much less at the 3200x1200 you'd get from a pair of 20" monitors. And I really need that much real estate to work productively myself (at least one 1600x1200 monitor, which is what I'll have, and two if I sell everything and have some left over.) Otherwise, it would be a nice idea and very comfy.

Well, I'm certainly not trying to push the idea down your throat, but I can't for an instant believe that someone with a home theater the likes of yours is not creative and capable enough to figure out a solution to *that* dilemma...

Cheers.
    droddey
    RE: Any suggestions for a good studio chair? 2007/09/16 00:08:35 (permalink)
    So I lucked up on a chair today. I went to Office Despot and they had a $600 mesh type chair on the floor. The little extensible headrest thingie had been broken off, so they sold it to me for $100. I don't need the headrest for a studio chair really, so I picked itup. It's quite comfy. The riser thing though leaks and it slowly sinks back down, unless I'm just not using it right. But the lowest setting is about right for this table anyway. This mesh stuff definitely is very comfortable and it breaths well.

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    jimboeric
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: Any suggestions for a good studio chair? 2007/09/16 21:03:43 (permalink)
    I like a high quality office swivelling chair with no arms. I can roll, spin, play guitar and keyboards and edit things. But I would always want something at least over $100 for comfort and good lumbar support.
    Jim
    mwd
    RE: Any suggestions for a good studio chair? 2007/09/16 22:45:55 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: droddey ~ The riser thing though leaks and it slowly sinks back down...

Interesting... the chair is still new.

The riser thing (pneumatic cylinder) should still be under warranty regardless if the head rest is broken off or not.

If it's slowly leaking that would be a manufacturers defect... if you care to pursue it I'm sure the manufacturer has a toll free number.
    losguy
    RE: Any suggestions for a good studio chair? 2007/09/17 12:30:59 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: mwd
    ORIGINAL: droddey ~ The riser thing though leaks and it slowly sinks back down...

Interesting... the chair is still new.
    The riser thing (pneumatic cylinder) should still be under warranty regardless if the head rest is broken off or not.
    If it's slowly leaking that would be a manufacturers defect... if you care to pursue it I'm sure the manufacturer has a toll free number.

Yeah... it's worth a call at least. I've gotten replacement pieces and parts on lots of stuff (including furniture) for free just by calling a customer support line. The pneumatic riser sounds just like something that they could package up and send to you.

krizrox
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4046
    RE: Any suggestions for a good studio chair? 2007/09/17 17:04:14 (permalink)

Herman Miller Aeron

Agree - this has been the closest thing to an industry standard studio chair for years and it's expensive (over a grand if I remember correctly). I saw something similar but less expensive at a local office supply store. Stay away from Office Max quality furniture. If it costs less than a hundred bux more than likely it's crap.

We have a really good hi end office furniture store not too far from here. They make their own products and sell other stuff too. You want something in the $300+ price range in order to get the quality you need for long term use. Life is too short to sit in crappy chairs for hours on end. Get a good one - your back and other areas will thank you for it

Yep is right about squeeks and rattles. This becomes even more of an issue if you're recording in the same room. It's been my experience that the cheaper stuff will start squeeking a whole lot sooner than the good stuff.

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com
    www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    balbs
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 132
    RE: Any suggestions for a good studio chair? 2007/09/19 19:28:00 (permalink)
    Yeah those Aeron chairs are awesome. We use them at work and I have a couple at home. Mine are all black though and no chrome like the pic, but still the same mechanically.

Balbs

SW: Sonar 8PE, Reason 3, Project 5v2.5, EWQLSO Platinum Pro XP, QL Goliath, QL RA, QL Gypsy 
    Controllers: Novation SL 61 Remote, Yamaha P120, Korg 01/W, Yamaha WX5 Wind Contr., Korg padKontrol
    HW: Yamaha VL70-m, Edirol FA-66, Alesis S4, Alesis DM5
    Mackie HR8
    Bonzos Ghost
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1112
    RE: Any suggestions for a good studio chair? 2007/09/24 19:10:35 (permalink)
    One that doesn't squeek when you're sitting in it.

Modulation
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 492
    RE: Any suggestions for a good studio chair? 2008/01/03 00:09:15 (permalink)
    I thought I'd revive this thread. I'm looking for a good chair to sit in all day. I've progressively gone up the 'office depot' type chairs. Started with the $40 then $70 then $100 chairs. But they all ended up hurting after a bit of sitting. However, $900 for a chair just doesn't seem to be able to register in my brain at this point. So what are you guys using to sit in all day that can be in the $150 or bellow range? What are you guys and gals using?
    losguy
    RE: Any suggestions for a good studio chair? 2008/01/03 00:42:10 (permalink)
    This is the absolute weirdest thing. I was looking for a computer chair for my kid, and wound up with a surprise find. Check out the IKEA SNILLE.

Looking at it, you'd think, "How could this ridiculous-cheap (and cheap-looking!) plastic chair ever pass for a comfortable studio chair?" That's what I thought, at least until I tried it out. Yes, the plastic is not soft like a cushioned cloth or leather fabric would be. But it is not completely hard, either. It has a slight "give", or "springy" feel. And then they molded the thing to the anatomical shape of a human posterior. It basically form-fits to your hind quarters like a glove.

What's surprising is that it's actually more comfortable than a cushioned chair at twice the price! I think it's because the cushion chairs have the cheap low-density type of foam in them, and not too thick besides (unless you spend maybe $200 or more on the chair), so when you sit on them, the foam, ahem, "bottoms out", and then your tailbone is in direct contact with a hard, un-anatomically flat surface. It's weird, but when I tried this ridiculous plastic SNILLE chair out with my desk, I could sit in it for hours without getting tired!

Another weird plus about this chair: It's quiet! Maybe it's the plastic "giving" like it does, but it's sort of like a shock absorber for the hardware. No groans or clicks when you twost or rock around on it.

Check it out if you can. At around 20 bucks, it's not much of a risk, and IKEA has an excellent return policy anyway.

Modulation
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 492
    RE: Any suggestions for a good studio chair? 2008/01/03 12:27:12 (permalink)

This is the absolute weirdest thing. I was looking for a computer chair for my kid, and wound up with a surprise find. Check out the IKEA SNILLE.

Looking at it, you'd think, "How could this ridiculous-cheap (and cheap-looking!) plastic chair ever pass for a comfortable studio chair?" That's what I thought, at least until I tried it out. Yes, the plastic is not soft like a cushioned cloth or leather fabric would be. But it is not completely hard, either. It has a slight "give", or "springy" feel. And then they molded the thing to the anatomical shape of a human posterior. It basically form-fits to your hind quarters like a glove.

What's surprising is that it's actually more comfortable than a cushioned chair at twice the price! I think it's because the cushion chairs have the cheap low-density type of foam in them, and not too thick besides (unless you spend maybe $200 or more on the chair), so when you sit on them, the foam, ahem, "bottoms out", and then your tailbone is in direct contact with a hard, un-anatomically flat surface. It's weird, but when I tried this ridiculous plastic SNILLE chair out with my desk, I could sit in it for hours without getting tired!

Another weird plus about this chair: It's quiet! Maybe it's the plastic "giving" like it does, but it's sort of like a shock absorber for the hardware. No groans or clicks when you twost or rock around on it.

Check it out if you can. At around 20 bucks, it's not much of a risk, and IKEA has an excellent return policy anyway.

That chair looks horrible! Have you tried it for long term sitting (8 hours or so)? I've got to go to IKEA anyway, so I'll check it out, but I'm highly dubious.....
    losguy
    RE: Any suggestions for a good studio chair? 2008/01/03 14:30:56 (permalink)
    Well, you were warned, I did say that it's ridiculous!

To be honest, I have not sat in that chair for 8 hours straight. Probably 4-5 hours with some breaks in between. (Breaks are healthy BTW. Maybe a seat like this could force you to take healthy breaks? ) I did get sore legs once, but it was because I had the height set too low and the edge of the seat was binding my legs. Once I set the height properly, it was no problem.

It's great that you have an IKEA to go to, because really, this is a matter of personal choice.

Infinite5ths
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3631
    RE: Any suggestions for a good studio chair? 2008/01/03 15:39:22 (permalink)
    Dean, you're gonna laugh, but I'm actually using a DRUM THRONE for my studio chair. I have a (short) history of back trouble thanks to injuries while I was a concrete test technician (summer job). I'm also a professional violinist, which can be pretty tough on the back, particularly an injured back. Add to that the fact that I've got a long torso, and I'm a great candidate for physical therapy.

That said, the drum throne, more so that any other chair I've used anywhere, requires that I sit upright with good posture. It also is incredibly easy to access and leave. So I find that:

1) While I'm on it, I sit correctly and strain my back less
    2) Since I don't have to pivot or move it to get up, I get up and move subconsciously all the time. I'll find myself standing up to listen to a take or jumping up to grab something just a few feet away.
    3) The posture that I have while sitting on the throne involves my leg muscles for balance and support. So it spreads the work of balancing my body to my largest muscles and keeps those muscles warm and active.

There was actually some recent research that points to long periods of sitting as a culprit for many Americans' weight problems. [My mom is an RD/LDN, so I talked to her about it.] Apparently there is some part of the metabolic functions that totally shuts down when one sits for a long time, resulting in a huge drop in burned fat (if I remember correctly - this is a bit out of my league). So the the drum throne is good for more than anatomical reasons.

If nothing else, it's cheap. You can get a simple but well-built throne from GuitarCenter for about $30. You might try it, because at that price you have nothing to lose. It's the best studio/computer chair I've ever found, in the 16 years or so that I've been tied to a computer. I've got mine set up at a height so that my knees are a few inches below the seat when my feet are flat on the floor.

NOTE: The throne was a bit uncomfortable for the first few days, until the seat pad broke in. I know that sounds kinda weird...but now you know.
    post edited by Infinite5ths - 2008/01/03 16:01:35

Mike
    MichaelDanchi.com
    IPM Productions
    Sonar 8PE, Project 5 v2.5, Rapture, Dimension Pro, Z3TA+, RME FF400 + Presonus DigiMax FS
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1