Any way to copy/paste only controllers?

Author
John6528
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 409
2010/08/14 17:36:05 (permalink)

Any way to copy/paste only controllers?

Want to copy volume or expression from one track to another without the notes (midi). Any way to do that?
I tried the select tool. Also tried, in piano roll view, to open the other track's control pane and copy but didn't work.

Or...

Is there a way to group tracks so entering midi control on one enters it on all of them?

Thanks
John

14 Replies Related Threads

lorneyb2
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1667
    Re:Any way to copy/paste only controllers? 2010/08/14 18:15:32 (permalink)
    The method I use is to get the controllers completed for 1 track.  When done I clone that track and rename it expression track.  Then I delete all the notes in the expression track by select - lassoo (can not do it by time line as it will delete controllers as well).  Extend the clip's start completely over to the left(so it is set at measure 1) to ensure that the clip will align properly.  Then just copy/paste it into what ever tracks you want it using blend/paste into existing clips.  This will copy only the controllers.
    post edited by lorneyb2 - 2010/08/14 18:17:12
    MarioD
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 901
    Re:Any way to copy/paste only controllers? 2010/08/14 19:27:09 (permalink)
    In the Piano Roll View go to the track that has the controllers you want to copy from then highlight the area you want to copy. Then right click on copy and have only track/bus automation checked. Go to the track you want paste the controllers on and click on paste. This works on Sonar PE 5.2 so I’m going to assume it works on the later versions also.

I hope this helps.
    John6528
    Re:Any way to copy/paste only controllers? 2010/08/14 20:30:13 (permalink)
    Nope. I vaguely remember that. I',m 8.5 and automation is grayed out.
    In piano roll It has a very simple method of copy/past between controllers within one track but not between tracks.

I'm wondering why you would ever want to copy one controller event to another controller event?  What is that feature for?
    John

MarioD

In the Piano Roll View go to the track that has the controllers you want to copy from then highlight the area you want to copy. Then right click on copy and have only track/bus automation checked. Go to the track you want paste the controllers on and click on paste. This works on Sonar PE 5.2 so I’m going to assume it works on the later versions also.

I hope this helps.

John6528
    Re:Any way to copy/paste only controllers? 2010/08/14 20:32:56 (permalink)
    I'm gonna wait for something better. Jeez... they are just data. Why is it so hard to go in and copy some data?  It seems to me it would be pretty common to want to copy volume events from track to track. There has to be some way to do it.
    John

lorneyb2

The method I use is to get the controllers completed for 1 track.  When done I clone that track and rename it expression track.  Then I delete all the notes in the expression track by select - lassoo (can not do it by time line as it will delete controllers as well).  Extend the clip's start completely over to the left(so it is set at measure 1) to ensure that the clip will align properly.  Then just copy/paste it into what ever tracks you want it using blend/paste into existing clips.  This will copy only the controllers.

rbowser
    Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6518
    Re:Any way to copy/paste only controllers? 2010/08/14 23:44:17 (permalink)
    Is there a way to group tracks so entering midi control on one enters it on all of them?

If you have a keyboard you can record any MIDI controller on multiple tracks at the same time.  Just arm them all. 

Not recommended though - Music sounds much more - musical, when controller data is unique and varying for each track.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
    8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    with dual monitors
    Jose7822
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10031
    Re:Any way to copy/paste only controllers? 2010/08/15 00:12:22 (permalink)
    lorneyb2

You can also do it this way:

In Track View, hold down Ctrl+SHIFT and drag the expression clip to Copy/Paste it to the other tracks.  Holding down Crtl makes a copy of the selected clip, and SHIFT is used to lock it in position while you drag it.  I would then use a "Bounce to Clip" operation to ensure eveything is one single clip.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's an easy method to do what the OP wants.  Only work-arounds :-(

Intel Q9400 2.66 GHz
    8 GB of RAM @ 800 Mhz
    ATI Radeon HD 3650
    Windows 7 Professional (SP1) x64
    Cubase 6.03 x64
    Sonar PE 8.5.3 x64
    RME FireFace 400
    Frontier Design Alpha Track
    Studio Logic VMK-188 Plus

http://www.youtube.com/user/SonarHD
    Chappel
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2300
    Re:Any way to copy/paste only controllers? 2010/08/15 00:52:31 (permalink)
    John6528

Want to copy volume or expression from one track to another without the notes (midi). Any way to do that?
    I tried the select tool. Also tried, in piano roll view, to open the other track's control pane and copy but didn't work.

Thanks
    John

Yes, you can select different kinds of Midi data in a track by using Select By Filter. Edit>Select>By Filter. Let's say you want to copy Modulation data from one track to another. Select the origin midi track and open Select by Filter. In that box, click None in the bottom right corner. Then put a check mark in the Control box on the left. Then change both Min and Max to 1. That ensures you will only copy controller 1. Then make sure the MIN value is 0 and the MAX value is 127.

EDIT: Click OK to select the data.

Then select Edit>Copy or Ctrl-C to copy the data.

Then select the destination track and select Edit>paste or Ctrl-V to paste the controller data in the new track.

That's the basics... you can fine tune the process with practice.
    post edited by Chappel - 2010/08/15 02:49:48
    cliffr
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 539
    Re:Any way to copy/paste only controllers? 2010/08/15 01:21:44 (permalink)
    Hi John,

1)  In Track view, select the track you want to copy controller data from.

2)  Click Views -> Event List , or Alt+4 to bring up that track in the event list view.

3) In Track view, click the Track once again to de-select all the events in the track.

4)  In the Event List window, you can now either click the "Note Icon" to hide all the note events, or select all the controller types that you want to copy using the "Event Manager" and checking the box beside the various event types. There may be only a few that you actually want to copy, like aftertouch, controller, pitch wheel maybe ?.

5)  With the event types you want checked in the event manager, Click on the track in the Track View again to select it.
    Now, all the event types which are checked in the Event Manager are select, and those that are not checked will not be copied.

6)  From the main menu bar - Edit -> Copy or Ctrl C.  The Copy dialog box pops up. Make sure "Events in Tracks" is checked.
    You may bea able to check other boxes too like Tempo Changes and Meter/Key.

7)  In Track view, select the track you want to copy to and use Edit -> Paste, select the appropriate options (Start time, Blend Old and new ...) for what you're doing and paste it - you're done !.
    Note - for this last step here, you may have to select the same starting time as the first event as the track you copy from. EG: first event in track you're copying from is at 2:04:640 MBT, enter that as the start time when you paste.

Once you've done it a couple of times it's easy.

Cheers
    -Cliff

Jose7822
    Re:Any way to copy/paste only controllers? 2010/08/15 01:29:00 (permalink)
    Damn Cliff,

Cakewalk should make this much simpler.  It's too convoluted.

I tried Chapel's method, which seem simple enough, but it didn't work for me.  I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I created some Mod wheel events on one MIDI track and proceeded to follow his steps.  The problem is that after pressing "OK" in the Filer dialog window, the clip becomes unselected and I'm back to square one.  Re-selecting the clip and doing a Copy/Paste operation doesn't work as it copies everything.  Any ideas what's going on?

Intel Q9400 2.66 GHz
    8 GB of RAM @ 800 Mhz
    ATI Radeon HD 3650
    Cubase 6.03 x64
    Sonar PE 8.5.3 x64
    RME FireFace 400

Chappel
    Re:Any way to copy/paste only controllers? 2010/08/15 01:40:06 (permalink)
    I just tried it again and it worked for me. It is normal for the track to become unselected. Don't have either of the midi clips open, just select the tracks in the Track View pane by clicking the track number. After selecting the data in the origin track (don't check the EXC box) the clip will appear to become unselected. Then copy the data. Then select the destination track by clicking the track number. Then paste the data. Works fine when I do it.
    cliffr
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 539
    Re:Any way to copy/paste only controllers? 2010/08/15 01:57:48 (permalink)
    Jose7822

Damn Cliff,

Cakewalk should make this much simpler.  It's too convoluted.

I tried Chapel's method, which seem simple enough, but it didn't work for me.  I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I created some Mod wheel events on one MIDI track and proceeded to follow his steps.  The problem is that after pressing "OK" in the Filer dialog window, the clip becomes unselected and I'm back to square one.  Re-selecting the clip and doing a Copy/Paste operation doesn't work as it copies everything.  Any ideas what's going on?
    Hey Jose,

One of the things I love about these forums, I just tried Chapel's method too, so I just learned another way to do the same thing and more !.
    It worked fine for me, I think from your description I know what's up.

After pressing the "OK" in the Filter dialog, the clip may look like it's unselected - but it's not. It doesn't give the full highlight because it's only partly selected - it's trick'n ya !.

Don't re-select the clip, that's what's grabbing the whole track again. Instead, just ignore that it looks like the track de-selected, Just Hit "Ctrl C" to copy and then paste into your new track.

Actually, I think this way's easier than what I was doing.
    Thanks Chappel :-)

Cheers
    -Cliff
    Chappel
    Re:Any way to copy/paste only controllers? 2010/08/15 02:05:25 (permalink)
    cliffr

Thanks Chappel :-)

Cheers
    -Cliff

I'm glad that bit of obscure information I've been hoarding has finally become useful.
    Jose7822
    Re:Any way to copy/paste only controllers? 2010/08/15 02:42:40 (permalink)
    Ah, I see!  That's what I was doing wrong. 

Thanks guys!  I've learned something cool today.

Intel Q9400 2.66 GHz
    8 GB of RAM @ 800 Mhz
    ATI Radeon HD 3650
    Cubase 6.03 x64
    Sonar PE 8.5.3 x64
    RME FireFace 400

John6528
    Re:Any way to copy/paste only controllers? 2010/08/15 10:17:20 (permalink)
    EXCELLENT! Thanks a lot. I tried this before but it threw me when the original track looked de-selected.
    John

Chappel

John6528

Thanks
    John

Yes, you can select different kinds of Midi data in a track by using Select By Filter. Edit>Select>By Filter. Let's say you want to copy Modulation data from one track to another. Select the origin midi track and open Select by Filter. In that box, click None in the bottom right corner. Then put a check mark in the Control box on the left. Then change both Min and Max to 1. That ensures you will only copy controller 1. Then make sure the MIN value is 0 and the MAX value is 127.

EDIT: Click OK to select the data.

Then select Edit>Copy or Ctrl-C to copy the data.

Then select the destination track and select Edit>paste or Ctrl-V to paste the controller data in the new track.

That's the basics... you can fine tune the process with practice.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1