Any way to get rid of this hum - laptop output?

Author
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
Cakewalk Staff
  • Total Posts : 6475
2007/03/25 09:10:50 (permalink)

Any way to get rid of this hum - laptop output?

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on this apparent grounding problem I am having. Some background:

I have a newish laptop that I've been using with SONAR (an HP DV6125, dual core) with a built in Realtek audio chipset.
For serious use I use my MOTU firewire audio device with this.
However due to the convenience, I often use this laptop for practice away from my studio where I don't have my MOTU.
I've been using the built in Realtek audio and it works great with SONAR and other applications especially with ASIO4ALL.
What I do is hook the line out using a miniplug to dual 1/4" Y-adapter, into the second channel and aux return inputs of my amp (nice fullrange acoustic image lightweight amp), so essentially I have control over each channel sent from the laptop, and can play my instrument hooked into channel 1 along with this.

This has been really handy for practicing away from the studio and the audio output sounds very good. So here's the problem. This setup sounds great as long as the laptop is hooked up this way and running on internal batteries. The moment I plug in the power supply, I get this God awful hum. I have tried everything I know - I plugged both the amp and power supply into the same outlet to eliminate potential ground loops, tried a better quality power strip, tried a different power supply, but nothing helps.
The interesting thing is if I plug in headphones to the laptop, I don't hear this hum audibly - its only when plugged in to the amp that this occurs.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to solve this? I can continue to use battery power but that means I have to shut down and recharge periodically.

post edited by Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk] - 2007/03/25 09:12:10

Noel Borthwick
Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile

28 Replies Related Threads

Joe Bravo
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1870
    RE: Any way to get rid of this hum - laptop output? 2007/03/25 09:36:50 (permalink)
    I don't want to sound too obvious, but are you sure the cord going to the amp isn't just poorly shielded?
    Lemonboy
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 679
    RE: Any way to get rid of this hum - laptop output? 2007/03/25 10:00:48 (permalink)
    Hi Noel

I think a lot of us who use laptops have exactly the same kind of problems, some have tried lifting the ground or using three to two prong adapters. You could have a look at the ground hum eliminator on this page http://www.21best.com/21_best/electronic/security/video/filters/for_sale_.html

I've not tried it myself (it won't fit a UK plug!) but my local music shop has something similar http://www.gear4music.com/Recording_Accessories/Useful_Boxes/ART_Cleanbox_II_ground_loop_eliminator.html which you plug the audio cables into rather than the power supply, but I haven't researched it further as yet.

Suprised to see the CTO has this kind of problem!!!

Andy

PS and as a SP6 user, thanks for a fantastic program
    post edited by Lemonboy - 2007/03/25 10:01:13
    macflooze
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 544
    RE: Any way to get rid of this hum - laptop output? 2007/03/25 13:56:14 (permalink)
    +1
    2 - 3 prong adaptor
    - worked for my Dell

Is it safe?

1. Specifically on a laptop, where the power comes thru a 'lump' and is transformed to low voltage, and where the laptop is mostly plastic, pretty much yes.

2. Ground loops mean that the device is being grounded in two different places, so eliminating the 'power' ground for the device means that it is still grounded to whatever other ground is causing the hum. Better be very sure when using this rule that the hum is indeed a ground loop before you go eliminating ground connections.

Pmac
    ToneZone

Information spreads at the speed of light, while ignorance is instantaneous at all points in the known universe - Dmitry Orlov
    Cakewalk Staff
    RE: Any way to get rid of this hum - laptop output? 2007/03/25 14:21:02 (permalink)
    No the amp cord is pretty good - in fact it has one of those RF filter type things built into the end of the cord. AI makes pretty high end components so I'd be surprised if they were the weak link here. The more likely culprit is the poor quality electronics in the laptop itself. And if you were referring to the jack from the comp to the amp itself, its not very high end but its a standard HOSA Y cable.
    post edited by Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk] - 2007/03/25 14:22:39

Noel Borthwick
    Cakewalk Staff
    RE: Any way to get rid of this hum - laptop output? 2007/03/25 14:31:38 (permalink)
    Intreresting, I never thought of trying a 3-2 prong adapter for the laptop PS. I'll see if that works and if so perhaps consider the ground hum eliminator. I'm not much of an electronics geek - my understanding was plugging all the gear into the same outlet or power strip would eliminate ground loops.

Pmac, if it was a ground loop shouldn't plugging into a single power strip have eliminated the hum? Also pretty wierd, even minimizing and maximizing windows causes audible noise (only when the power is plugged in though). Definitely seems to indicate some funky internal shielding in the laptop itself. I also had a wierd problem once on this same laptop where the mousepad seemed to go crazy when the PS was plugged in, unless I would touch one of the metal parts of the laptop. I bet this is somehow related as well.

Noel Borthwick
    Joe Bravo
    RE: Any way to get rid of this hum - laptop output? 2007/03/25 15:34:03 (permalink)
    "HOSA"

You may have just said the magic word. Really, they make the worst shielding out there. I bought two different HOSA Y-cords for using my DBX compressor with the effects loop on my Boss AD-5 acoustic preamp and I was picking up trucker's CB radio signals left and right with both of those cords. I know Frank and a few others here have talked about how bad their shielding is too.
    Thomas Campitelli
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 598
    RE: Any way to get rid of this hum - laptop output? 2007/03/25 15:59:51 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
    Also pretty wierd, even minimizing and maximizing windows causes audible noise (only when the power is plugged in though). Definitely seems to indicate some funky internal shielding in the laptop itself.

I've noticed similar noises coming from my desktop on occasion. Before you go out an buy a HumX, however, go to a hardware store and pick up a 3-prong to 2-prong adapter. They will probably be less than $2. See if that fixes the issue. If not, there's no need to go out and spend $60.

To those that say defeating the ground is dangerous, that is partly true. However, when you have a three prong plug, both the neutral and the ground should both go to the ground. The difference is that the neutral may go to a grounding source a little further away. Good luck, Noel.

Just as an aside, I think it's mighty cool that Cakewalk employees occasionally post on these forums.

Thomas Campitelli
    http://www.crysknifeband.com
    macflooze
    RE: Any way to get rid of this hum - laptop output? 2007/03/25 18:08:14 (permalink)
    Pmac, if it was a ground loop shouldn't plugging into a single power strip have eliminated the hum?

Yeah, you would think so, and according to the theory, you are in effect creating a 'star ground' system, but sometimes the only thing that works is breaking the ground. My laptop had more of a 'sizzle' than a hum, so it may have been some other grounding issue, but 3 to 2 fixed it.

Pmac
    ToneZone

Information spreads at the speed of light, while ignorance is instantaneous at all points in the known universe - Dmitry Orlov
    Cakewalk Staff
    RE: Any way to get rid of this hum - laptop output? 2007/03/25 18:36:48 (permalink)
    What do you know - I dug up a 3 pin to 2 pin plug that I had and plugged in the DC adapter using that - tada no more hum!
    So that was it, thanks to all of you for your tips! I never thought of getting rid of the ground completely. BTW, the hum itself was a combination of some kind of HF noise (sizzle as you put it) and some LF noise - quite annoying.

So whats the theory - although I plugged the amp and adapter into the same power strip, why was I still getting hum? Also should I bother getting a hum filter for this, now that the problem was solved with this simple solution?

This makes me wonder if I have a generic bad grounding problem in my house. I have noticed some other wierd problems occasionally as well that makes me wonder if they could be attributed to it. For example, I mentioned my touchpad behaving erratically sometimes when power was plugged in. I also have some of my outboard gear in my studio that picks up radio stations intermittently. Joe mentioned poor cables as possibly causing this, but I spent a lot of time trying to isolate it including higher quality cables, but it made no difference.

Do you guys think I should get an electrician to look into my house wiring?

Noel Borthwick
    Joe Bravo
    RE: Any way to get rid of this hum - laptop output? 2007/03/25 18:42:39 (permalink)
    I don't know if this would have anything to do with yours or not, but the only laptop I ever had was an old one with a 286 processor. I opened it up once to try to change the BIOS chip and noticed that there was a ground wire attached to the keypad (it had a metal base). So maybe you're right about your occassional keypad problem and the ground having something in common.
    macflooze
    RE: Any way to get rid of this hum - laptop output? 2007/03/25 19:38:18 (permalink)

Only if 12 tone pays you a lot more than I think they do!

You can get a circuit tester for pennies at Home Depot that'll test your grounding, live & neutral connections just by plugging it in to your receptacle(s). If that shows a problem, then get a sparky.

Also you can check your main electrical grounds visually - there's usually connections in the basement to the water pipes and a main ground wire running from the distro box to a copper spike in the ground outside somewhere - clean off any corrosion and use a continuity tester (simple VOA meter will do) to check connections are OK.

There was a big electrical/grounding/studio wiring thread not long ago on the forums - try a search - it was informative.

Pmac
    ToneZone

jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: Any way to get rid of this hum - laptop output? 2007/03/25 21:38:31 (permalink)
    noel, i'm almost certain the laptop is the problem. i've owned a couple dells and both had the humming issue. on battery they were fine. rather than spending money on an electrician spend it on a decent internal laptop card (like an indigo or whatever) and use that instead of the realtek. believe me, i've tried all sorts of things and i've had my laptop plugged into all manner of different outlets including battery backups and the only thing that fixes the hum is to unground the power cord.

- jack the ex-cynic
    Cakewalk Staff
    RE: Any way to get rid of this hum - laptop output? 2007/03/25 21:59:28 (permalink)
    Hehe, I'll take your advice and get a tester first.

Noel Borthwick
    Cakewalk Staff
    RE: Any way to get rid of this hum - laptop output? 2007/03/25 22:05:11 (permalink)
    Jack, yeah I wont be using the onboard sound for anything serious - definitely not for recording. I have my MOTU for that.
    Its surprising that electrical specs in laptops are still so dismal these days. This is supposedly a HD audio device too and in theory by the HD audio spec, manufactures are supposed to conform to more stringent specifications. I suppose nobody enforces these.

Noel Borthwick
    Thomas Campitelli
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 598
    RE: Any way to get rid of this hum - laptop output? 2007/03/25 23:13:24 (permalink)

So whats the theory - although I plugged the amp and adapter into the same power strip, why was I still getting hum? Also should I bother getting a hum filter for this, now that the problem was solved with this simple solution?

I'm not an electrician, so take what I say with a grain of salt. Since both the neutral and and the third prong go to ground, you have the classic setup for a ground loop. Circuit breakers and power strips don't solve this issue. As to whether or not a hum filter is necessary, I would say maybe. The $60 hum filter is safer in theory, but I would be highly surprised if you ran into problems by using the cheaper solution.

Only if you can find one that knows something about audio. I have a feeling that your house is wired to code, but a subtle grounding issue is causing some noise.

Thomas Campitelli
    http://www.crysknifeband.com
    Joe Bravo
    RE: Any way to get rid of this hum - laptop output? 2007/03/25 23:38:44 (permalink)
    By the way, any of you guys ever try to take a laptop apart? Man, I will never go through that again! Uh uhhh....
    Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    RE: Any way to get rid of this hum - laptop output? 2007/03/26 02:37:37 (permalink)
    Its surprising that electrical specs in laptops are still so dismal these days.

Hi Noel,

FWIW, Grounding problems are *very* common with laptops.
    I have a client who uses an M-Audio FW410 with his laptop... and he experienced the same exact symptoms.
    The solution was also the same... (lift the ground)

If you've played out a fair bit... you've likely run into the same scenario.
    Plugging everything into the same strip can help...
    But it doesn't always eliminate ground loop problems.
    ie: When I DI my two keyboards to FOH, I often have to use the ground lift button to eliminate hum.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: Any way to get rid of this hum - laptop output? 2007/03/26 12:46:33 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Joe Bravo
    By the way, any of you guys ever try to take a laptop apart? Man, I will never go through that again! Uh uhhh....

yes. it was the most pointless 2 hours i've spent in my life...

- jack the ex-cynic
    losguy
    Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5506
    RE: Any way to get rid of this hum - laptop output? 2007/03/28 23:08:32 (permalink)
    Hey Noel, glad you got it (basically) solved. Like others have said, it's most likely nothing wrong with our wiring; ground loops like this happen all the time, especially on laptops having an AC adapter with a third prong on the AC. Usually this is in conjuction with one or more pieces of audio gear in the setup also having a third AC prong (almost always the case). Plugging everything into the same power strip is a nice gesture in the right direction, but unfortunately computers are not nice neighbors when it comes to injecting noise currents into the ground circuit.

The ground-lift is the way to go in this case, either on the AC side, or the audio side using an iso box or direct box. The Hum-X is purportedly safer than the 99-cent hardware-store adapter, but in any event, I would not leave either adapter plugged in to the wall unsupervised. You see, neither one is UL listed. So, if the unthinkable happens, your insurance will not cover it! So, proceed cautiously, and above all, be sure to unplug it from the wall before closing down for the evening.

Psalm 30:12
    All pure waves converge at the Origin
    lazarous
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1461
    RE: Any way to get rid of this hum - laptop output? 2007/03/29 11:34:22 (permalink)

Ever have a mechanic hand you a box of extra parts when he's done fixing your car? That's the way my last experience taking a laptop went... NOT fun! lol

Noel: While you're probably ok, I'd be a bit concerned about using a power ground lift. It can be dangerous... there's a reason they have a ground on amps and laptops these days. Just something to think about.

Corey

Ath 64 3500+
    MSI K8N N2 Plat ATX 939 Mobo
    2Gb DDR2 400
    RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652
    UAD1 4.2
    WinXP Pro SP2
    Sonar 8.3PE
    New Henry and Buster episodes available!
    Mike Fisher
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1374
    RE: Any way to get rid of this hum - laptop output? 2007/03/29 15:55:40 (permalink)
    ...sorry...side-topic:

Hey Bill,

What's up with the 'Larry Norman' avatar?

Joe Bravo
    RE: Any way to get rid of this hum - laptop output? 2007/03/29 19:29:07 (permalink)
    What, you8 don't think that's me?
    Mike Fisher
    RE: Any way to get rid of this hum - laptop output? 2007/03/29 19:59:47 (permalink)

What, you8 don't think that's me?

Nope!

I've got a ton of Larry's Albums back to 1969.
    Joe Bravo
    RE: Any way to get rid of this hum - laptop output? 2007/03/29 21:18:21 (permalink)
    I've put up several videos of him at YouTube in recent months. Did you hear he's gonna do a couple of concerts near his home in Oregon where he's going to play every song from the trilogy? I'd love to go but it's just too far for me to travel and justify the expense. I would sure love to videotape it though. I hope somebody else does.
    Mike Fisher
    RE: Any way to get rid of this hum - laptop output? 2007/03/29 21:24:05 (permalink)

I've put up several videos of him at YouTube in recent months.

Cool!

Did you hear he's gonna do a couple of concerts near his home in Oregon where he's going to play every song from the trilogy? I'd love to go but it's just too far for me to travel and justify the expense. I would sure love to videotape it though. I hope somebody else does.

I hadn't heard that. I haven't checked his website for a while or gotten a newsletter from him. I saw him here in Indianapolis a few years back. He had been in pretty poor health recently. I hope they make a DVD of the Oregon concert.

And yes, I have the whole Trilogy collection.
    Joe Bravo
    RE: Any way to get rid of this hum - laptop output? 2007/03/29 21:49:06 (permalink)
    Well he just had the first of two eye surgeries and this concert is suppose to pay for the second one. They posted it on his website a few days ago. I just found out about it too. I drove out to Louisville with a friend to see him solo around ten years ago. He played for four hours! I left wondering how any human being could possibly remember the words to so many songs without the use of music sheets, and he seldom missed a word. Johnny Cash is the only other person I've ever known who could do that, but Johnny's memory is legendary. I once saw him on some country cable show where the host asked him about some old poem he used to quote from back in the 60's. Cash said he had nearly forgotten the poem after all these years and then proceeded to recite the whole thing. And it was a very long poem; I think it took him a good five minutes to recite it, and he didn't skip a beat.
    Mike Fisher
    RE: Any way to get rid of this hum - laptop output? 2007/03/29 22:26:08 (permalink)

He played for four hours! I left wondering how any human being could possibly remember the words to so many songs without the use of music sheets, and he seldom missed a word.

He did the same kind of thing when I saw him last, although I don't think it was planned. He came out solo for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, then played with a band for about the same amount of time after that. They were recording that night and I knew one of the engineers. I found out after the concert that night that they were having some kind of problem with the recording setup which delayed the band set. Larry filled the time with songs, stories and started taking requests from the audience. As you know, this is a guy who has written hundreds of songs and he didn't decline any requests.

That's amazing about Johnny Cash, too. I never got to see him in person.
    newfuturevintage
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1848
    RE: Any way to get rid of this hum - laptop output? 2007/04/04 15:42:07 (permalink)

Late to the game here, but I'll fire with a theory: It's noise from the switching power supply traveling up the ground AC pin and into your audio lines. This is why it's much nastier than the classic 60Hz + overtones sound of a ground loop.

I get the same issue on both my laptops, regardless of the audio interface used (either on-board, or fireface), and it happens everywhere I've tried it, even on old houses with no ground at the AC recepticle.

I wouldn't bother with the electrician, nor the hum filter, especially if your adapter is all plastic (I'm sure it is). After all, AC ground doesn't go to the laptop (check it with a continuity meter) so it's not adding safety to the computer, just to the power brick which, being all plastic, presents little shock hazard.

I suspect this is one reason apple uses ungrounded power supplies for their laptops.

My inner child is an angry drunk.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1