Helpful ReplyAny way to hear effects on vocals when recording with "zero latency" using audio interfce?

Author
Kerch
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 34
2014/07/25 11:03:00 (permalink)

Any way to hear effects on vocals when recording with "zero latency" using audio interfce?

Using a Scarlett 6i6 USB interface and Sonar X3 Producer. I'm starting to record vocals on a project I've been working on musically for awhile now, and using the "zero latency" preset on the 6i6. However, I'm much more comfortable singing while hearing a little reverb or chorus, which seems unattainable with zero latency - just hearing the totally dry vocal. I'm wondering if there's any way to get this working through Sonar while still using that "zero latency" preset. Once it comes to "sends" and routing, I start getting a little confused. Any help or thoughts on this appreciated. Thanks.
57Gregy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14404
Re: Any way to hear effects on vocals when recording with "zero latency" using audio inter 2014/07/25 11:23:19 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Kerch 2014/07/25 11:52:46
Focusrite includes some DSP effects, including reverb, with the 6i6.
I don't know if you can send the effects to the monitor mix without recording them.
I use an external mixer to monitor, with it's reverb on. That doesn't solve your dillema, though.
Ask in the X-series forum. This forum is for older Cakewalk programs, SONAR 8.5 and below.

Greg 
I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
Kerch
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 34
Re: Any way to hear effects on vocals when recording with "zero latency" using audio inter 2014/07/25 11:59:15 (permalink)
Thanks, Greg, will check there. Whoops!
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Any way to hear effects on vocals when recording with "zero latency" using audio inter 2014/07/25 16:54:49 (permalink)
Short answer is no, you can't use computer-based effects in real time. That's why some audio interfaces now include built-in effects that you can either record or just monitor while recording a dry vocal. But if you don't want to buy a new interface just for that, your best bet is to look around for a cheap effects unit on eBay or Craigslist. Most interfaces offer an effects loop, so there's a good chance your current interface will let you plug in an external reverb, delay or chorus with minimal hassle.

Because the effects in your DAW are usually better than any cheap hardware box, the best thing is to listen to the effects in your headphones while singing but record the vocal dry and add effects later. If you do it that way, you don't have to worry about the quality of the effects unit. You can find some very inexpensive units second-hand, often less for than the cost of a plugin.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
sock monkey
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 547
Re: Any way to hear effects on vocals when recording with "zero latency" using audio inter 2014/07/27 12:50:36 (permalink)
Forcusrite Scarlett interfaces come with a plug in suite that includes reverb. They are not DSP. 

You won't get low enough RTL to use them in any musical way. There will be latency.  So best solution is to add outboard reverb with a mixer. The 6i6 has lots of options via the mix control software for cue mixes. I use a mixer so have not tried adding a hardware reverb using it's in/outs on the back, but I do believe it would work. 

Cakelab - Sonar X3e Studio   
Singer Songwriter, Solo Performer, Acoustic Duo and semi pro Sound Monkey.   

lawajava
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2040
Re: Any way to hear effects on vocals when recording with "zero latency" using audio inter 2014/07/27 21:10:44 (permalink)
I have a standard response to this question. I also have Focusrite audio interfaces and really think they are great.

But for me, for now, I use a Line 6 KB-37 when I'm tracking (recording) vocals and guitars. With the KB-37 I can really get a zero latency experience, where I have input monitoring on, and effects are fully applied.

The signal records dry, but my ears hear the effected signal. Anything from reverb on vocals to a fully effected amp sim (not even a Line 6 / POD amp sim. I use Amplitube).

So in answer to your question, yes it can be done and I do it this way. KB-37s are not expensive, and offer a lot of capability. In Sonar I switch between the KB-37 as my audio interface (for recording vocals/guitars) and the Focusrite Scarlett for everything else, especially for mixing with the Scarlett. Switching interfaces is very easy in Sonar.

Here are two links with more about the KB-37:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRpCXWSC8TE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwBR1OfHRtM

Two internal 2TB SSDs laptop stuffed with Larry's deals and awesome tools. Studio One is the cat's meow as a DAW now that I've migrated off of Sonar. Using BandLab Cakewalk just to grab old files when migrating songs.
mixmkr
Max Output Level: -43.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3169
Re: Any way to hear effects on vocals when recording with "zero latency" using audio inter 2014/07/27 21:38:59 (permalink)
Actually in Sonar, I'm able to monitor with FX and get the latency down pretty low.  However, my Steinberg UR44 has built in DSP FX with their RevX reverb and mini channel strip.  This was mentioned above as a solution to use a card with these types of features.   Additionally, the FX are available as VST3 and my little ilock has a groovy light in it as well :-).
I like the suggestions of outboard cue systems with their own dedicated FX.  Keeps things tidy and you can get stuff for that dirt cheap nowadays.  Don't throw away all your 80's rack gear just yet.

some tunes: --->        www.masonharwoodproject.bandcamp.com 
StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44
videos--->https://www.youtube.com/user/mixmkr

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1