Any way to use Pro Audio 9 in Windows 7?

Author
Mike Alger
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2009/11/22 21:02:27 (permalink)

Any way to use Pro Audio 9 in Windows 7?

Hello all. Perhaps the more experienced of you out there can help. My wife uses Cahewalk Pro Audio 9, and I have just purchased a new 64 bit computer with the Windows 7 upgrade. I installed the Pro Audio 9 on it (a couple of minor glitches in the installation process, but it does open.) Here's the problem: she usually records digital audio on her projects, but it doesn't list that as a source option on the tracks. It plays midi back just fine, but doesn't seem to recognize digital audio... either as a playback or a recording option. All it lists when  I open the source boc is MIDI OMNI and the 16 MIDI tracks. Am I just SOL when it comes to ever using this program on my Windows 7 machine? I have WIndows 7 Home Premium, so the XP emulator that Windows put out isn't available.  Thanks for any help you can give me!

17 Replies Related Threads

larrymcg
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1310
    Re:Any way to use Pro Audio 9 in Windows 7? 2009/11/24 13:16:54 (permalink)
    PA9 was somewhat iffy on Vista and I'd guess that it might be similar or worse on Win7.
    Remember that PA9 was last supported (by Cakewalk) on WinMe!  That was a long time ago but most folks were successful with PA9 on WinXP. 

Go to PA9's Audio options (I don't have PA9 on this PC but I recall it is Options>Audio....) and select the Drivers tab.  Your soundcard should be listed but you must SELECT the driver by clicking on its name.  If your soundcard is not listed then you may need to visit the Windows Sound/Audio control panel (I have no idea what it is called in Win7) and make sure your soundcard is selected in the appropriate places.

If you can get your soundcard selected in the PA9 Audio Options Driver list, then one of the other tabs (maybe General) has a button to run the wave profiler on the soundcard.  Do that too.

Let us know what happens!

--Larry

Intel Core i7-4790 @3.6GHz; 8GB; Win10 Pro 64bit; 1TB disk + 3TB ext disk; Midiman Fineline mixer; MidiSport 4x4 midi I/F; Roland JV-30 kbd/synth; Yamaha TG55 synth; Rx with 3 piece Home audio speakers; Sonar X3e Studio
    Irrora
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Any way to use Pro Audio 9 in Windows 7? 2009/12/29 05:33:17 (permalink)
    Hi,

I, too, had this same problem on a Sony Vaio notebook running Windows 7 Ultimate. I followed larrymcg's excellent advice and it led me to first realize that there was no driver listed in the input drivers section. I'm not sure if it is because of the Vaio or Windows 7 but when I plugged in a microphone and reopened cakewalk there was a driver listed. So I highlighted the input driver and the output driver and ran the wave profiler. Then Cakewalk reported that the changes would take affect the next time Cakewalk was opened so I did that. Nothing changed... Again and again I tried that and still nothing... Then I just happened to notice that on the 'General Tab' under Options/Audio (where the Wave Profiler button is located) the first drop down "Playback Timing Master" was set to "None" ... I selected the driver (audio card), reopened Cakewalk and everything was 'Fine'.... Hope this helps!!  And thank you very much, larrymcg..
    Mike Alger
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:Any way to use Pro Audio 9 in Windows 7? 2010/01/13 23:48:49 (permalink)
    Hey guys...

First of all, thanks so much for all the help. I never got a chance to try what you said until tonight. It appears that it is up and working fine now. I was able to both record and play back digital audio. 

Thanks again, and sorry to take so long to tell you! 
    delight
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Any way to use Pro Audio 9 in Windows 7? 2010/01/30 20:58:36 (permalink)
    It works fine in Windows 7 32 bit
    Rob M
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re:Any way to use Pro Audio 9 in Windows 7? 2010/02/27 08:13:10 (permalink)
    Hello,

I'm having the same problem. I have a choice of two drivers 1. Realtek speakers or 2.Realtek digital output. I've tried them both in turn: highlighting in output drivers and in playback timing master and still nothing happens..... which one should I be using anyway? (or should I see something else that represents my soundcard?) 
    Whatever I do I never get the option of an audio track in the source option - just midi-omni and 16 channels.
    I can play and hear audio files through every other device on my computer except Cakewalk. First I thought it was because Pro Audio 9 didn't work in windows 7, but the posts above suggest it does.
    Can anyone help please?!!
    larrymcg
    Re:Any way to use Pro Audio 9 in Windows 7? 2010/02/27 14:42:01 (permalink)
    Rob M, there is some confusing info in your post.  You seem to be talking mostly about audio output/playback but you say there is no audio option in the track source option which is for audio input.
    If you want to play an audio track, the Port field (which is the output device selector) needs to be set to Realtek.  I'm not sure about the two output choices you mention (Speakers or Digital output).  Do you have the digital output of the soundcard connected to something?  Or do you have the speaker outputs (or line out) connected to something?  I'm guessing that you need to use the Realtek speaker option.
    --Larry

Intel Core i7-4790 @3.6GHz; 8GB; Win10 Pro 64bit; 1TB disk + 3TB ext disk; Midiman Fineline mixer; MidiSport 4x4 midi I/F; Roland JV-30 kbd/synth; Yamaha TG55 synth; Rx with 3 piece Home audio speakers; Sonar X3e Studio
    CorpPunisher
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 57
    Re:Any way to use Pro Audio 9 in Windows 7? 2010/02/28 20:45:12 (permalink)
    It sounds like RobM's motherboard has both Analog and Digital outputs. So Realtek Digital Out would be if he is using Digital Monitor speakers with either fiber optic or SPDIF RCA style connections as added (or only) speakers beside the normal speakers for the PC. It's possible to have both kinds hooked up to the PC and mute the PC speakers or select Digital Output Only in Windows Sound properties by selecting Advanced and then clicking the Digital Output Only box and then selecting the Realtek Digital driver in Cakewalk.

Otherwise, if Rob is using his speakers for the PC that are connected to the soundcard as usual it would be Realtek Speakers in Cakewalk more than likely. Windows Sound options can be a pain at times as well.
    Rob M
    Re:Any way to use Pro Audio 9 in Windows 7? 2010/03/06 11:21:12 (permalink)
    Thanks for your replies.
    I've settled on the speaker option for the output.
    I may have confused things with the audio channel...I've not used Cakewalk for a long time and I got the 'source' and 'port' options muddled...however..in 'Port' in the track properties the only option I have is 'Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth'
    If I import a Wave file I can see the file but I know I have to select 'audio' (left or right or stereo) to make it play or record an audio input...I just can't remember what I have to do make this happen.
    thanks, Rob
    larrymcg
    Re:Any way to use Pro Audio 9 in Windows 7? 2010/03/06 13:49:23 (permalink)
    I'm still not sure if you are trying to play a wave file or record one or both.  Let's start with playback of a wave file.

For Playback of wave file:  The GS Wavetable Synth is a software midi synth and it is for playing a midi track.  You have to get your Port set to your soundcard for audio playback.  Since your soundcard is not listed as an option for the Port field, that means that PA9 is not seeing your soundcard.  Here are some things to look at:
    1. Go to the Sound an Audio Device Control Panel.  Click the Audio tab.  The Sound Playback and Sound Recording fields must be set to your soundcard's Output and Input, respectively .  If your soundcard is not a listed option then I would think there is a driver issue.  If it is listed, select it for both Playback and Recording.

2. Then in PA9, menu  Options>Audio...  click the Drivers tab and make sure your soundcard input and output are listed in the appropriate fields and that they are SELECTED.  That is, click the soundcard name and ensure that it is highlighted.
    Then on the General tab, make sure your soundcard is listed and selected for Playback and Recording timing masters.

Let me know how that all goes.

--Larry

Rob M
    Re:Any way to use Pro Audio 9 in Windows 7? 2010/03/07 15:22:40 (permalink)
    Hello again Larry,
    At the moment I'm trying to play a wave file that I have imported into a track. (later, if I ever get this sorted! - I hope to record wave files)

For point 1. My computer's control panel looks different because I'm using windows 7, and so I can't select the options you describe....however, Playback is defaulted to the Realtek speakers device and Recording gives me a choice of 3 devices: mic, front mike, line in.
    I can play wave files using another programme - Easy Audio Cutter - but it says 'input driver error' when I try and record.
    2. In Options/Audio in Cakewalk, there are only Output Drivers listed  as available to select (the 2 mentioned in my first post) and nothing listed in the Input Drivers box. Likewise, in the General tab there is nothing available to select in the drop down box for Record Timing Master.

I'm guessing I need to somehow get an Input Driver listed...but how?

Any help very much appreciated, I really want to start using Cakewalk again!

thanks, Rob
    larrymcg
    Re:Any way to use Pro Audio 9 in Windows 7? 2010/03/07 17:20:36 (permalink)
    An input driver would be good if and when you want to record something.  Let's stay with playback for now.

For playback -- In PA9 you said the only Output drivers listed were the same as those mentioned in your first post.  I think you only listed midi drivers/interfaces and they should not be listed as Audio Output Drivers (or as Audio Input Drivers either).   Are you sure that the Audio Output Drivers shown in PA9 are MIDI OMNI and the 16 Midi Channels?  Do not look at the Source options for a track. 

Make sure you are looking at the PA9 menu for Options>Audio.... and then the Drivers tab.
    Tell me what you see there.  You should not be seeing anything midi related there.

--Larry

Rob M
    Re:Any way to use Pro Audio 9 in Windows 7? 2010/03/08 16:59:19 (permalink)

I have a choice of two drivers in the output drivers list (in Options>Audio/Drivers tab) : 1. Realtek speakers or 2.Realtek digital output
    The previous poster explained that the Realtek Speakers option is probably the right one...that represents the sound card.
    The midi omni/16 channels that I previously mentioned are listed in the Source dropdown in Track Properties.
    Rob M
    Re:Any way to use Pro Audio 9 in Windows 7? 2010/03/08 17:31:32 (permalink)
    Larry,

I've done it!!

I followed Irrora's post above...I just stuck a jack in the front mic input on the PC and then the computer recognised it, ran some tests, wave profiler and then hey presto - the input driver appeared as did the Audio channel in the track properties.
    It seems that Cakewalk doesn't recognise Audio until it detects an input.
    So now I can play my wave file. Now however, I've got to try to record audio from a CD...I'll no doubt get back to you on that one!!
    Thanks very much for your help
    Rob
    larrymcg
    Re:Any way to use Pro Audio 9 in Windows 7? 2010/03/09 14:42:16 (permalink)
    I'm amazed that PA9 "demands" an audio source.  I wonder if that's true on all the operating systems.  Win 7 is a lot different from WinMe which was the last operating system that Cakewalk supported PA9 on.  I'm not going to experiment on my system (WinXP) though.  I like that it works!

--Larry

CorpPunisher
    Re:Any way to use Pro Audio 9 in Windows 7? 2010/03/10 23:16:25 (permalink)
    Hey Larry,

I did finally get PA9 to work with Analog Audio with WinXP and Creative Audigy 2 zs Platinum (My Sound card and front drive patch bay).

Some of the detected inputs were not there in the past for me about 9 or so years ago. I got real busy with work and now that the economy has slowed down I have tried it all again.

Now everything detects, Analog, Digital, and MIDI (Digital and MIDI were never a problem). Some things that changed since before till now is I was at Service Pack 2 and now at Service Pack 3 for WinXP, I have more recent drivers for my sound card, and I just recently updated my Version 2 of PA9 from the CD to Version 3.

Win XP works very very well except that Nemisys Gigasampler LE and Gigapiano is not compatable with WinXP.
    post edited by CorpPunisher - 2010/03/10 23:18:04
    CorpPunisher
    Re:Any way to use Pro Audio 9 in Windows 7? 2010/03/30 20:17:01 (permalink)
    gothicpr Quit your spamming.
    Softarno
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Any way to use Pro Audio 9 in Windows 7? 2010/05/25 12:11:27 (permalink)
    Hi all i have Cahewalk Pro Audio 9 was using it on my vista home but now i got new vaio f with win 7 pro 64 bit and everything is ok with the program except when am trying to insert a video file, it reach up to level then it want continue and when i hit cancel i can see the video file in but no sound any help?
    post edited by Softarno - 2010/05/25 12:13:23
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1