LockedAnybody have a problem with my sig file?

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
space_cowboy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9813
RE: Anybody have a problem with my sig file? 2009/03/16 13:41:06 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: AT

I have a shirt that sez:

"Guns don't kill people, people in Texas with daughters do."

Its a good one when boys come over that remind me of myself at their age.

;-)

I like that one.

I believe if guns are the root cause of murder, then pencils are the root cause of mispelling. (notice I misspelled that - and didn't use a computer).

It is odd, if you go back and read the second amendment to the Constitution, it does not try to protect hunting or even home defense. It is written so that people can protect themselves from an over-powerful government.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Militia -ordinary citizens - Free State - I think they are talking about keeping the freedoms granted by the constitution intact. So people are to be armed to prevent the government from usurping too much power and taking away freedoms.

I own a bunch of guns. I have been trained. I practice frequently. I have never shot anyone - yet. But if someone comes into my house after my family, they are in a heap of trouble.

I kind of liken that to an occupational hazard. If you are a lineman for the county, you have to worry about getting electrocuted. If you are a coal miner, you have to worry about black lung disease and mine collapses. If you are a home burglar or a rapist, you have to worry about me and my brethren. Occupational hazard. Don't like it? Get a different job.

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
SteveJL
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4644
RE: Anybody have a problem with my sig file? 2009/03/16 13:45:40 (permalink)
I don't have a particular problem with the sig, BUT can see how some might question the appropriateness of putting (flaunting?) it on a music-software forum begging the question "WTF is that here, of all places, and WTF is this person trying to say to us?....." It could seem, to some, as a tad confrontational at worst, provocative at best, gnome sayin'?

Roflcopter
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6767
RE: Anybody have a problem with my sig file? 2009/03/16 13:50:25 (permalink)
I believe if guns are the root cause of murder, then pencils are the root cause of mispelling.

That's not entirely correct, of course. Guns don't have a 'normal' use. Tools and weapons are close cousins, so you can use a hammer as a weapon. The reverse is not automatically true, however. Guns are not tools, only machines of death.

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
OffAnAirplane
Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1386
RE: Anybody have a problem with my sig file? 2009/03/16 13:55:27 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Roflcopter

I believe if guns are the root cause of murder, then pencils are the root cause of mispelling.

That's not entirely correct, of course. Guns don't have a 'normal' use. Tools and weapons are close cousins, so you can use a hammer as a weapon. The reverse is not automatically true, however. Guns are not tools, only machines of death.

Not true. I heard of many circumstances where a pistol was used to remove a doorlock without a key. ;)

Guns have been fired in the air to scare away wolves and such.

And there are nail-guns that actually use bullets to power them.

Though killing is the primary function, it's not the only function.

I think the point of the pencil comment is that guns were not invented to take innocent lives. They were made to protect the innocent. So murder is a misuse of a firearm just as mispelling is a misuse of a pencil.

post edited by OffAnAirplane - 2009/03/16 14:09:48

Rom 8:18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us.
Roflcopter
RE: Anybody have a problem with my sig file? 2009/03/16 13:57:58 (permalink)
Not true. I heard of many circumstances where a pistol was used to remove a doorlock without a key. ;)

That's stupid.

Shoot the hinges. Much smarter.

OffAnAirplane
RE: Anybody have a problem with my sig file? 2009/03/16 13:59:47 (permalink)

That's stupid.

Shoot the hinges. Much smarter.

Usually there are 3 hinges and only 1 or maybe 2 locks. Gotta conserve bullets. ;)

Rom 8:18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us.
Roflcopter
RE: Anybody have a problem with my sig file? 2009/03/16 14:00:19 (permalink)

Now that's one I have call BS on. You can use it as a hammer, too. But that's not what it was made for. It was made to kill. No use trying to weasel out of that fact with me.

Nailguns don't use bullets btw, they use cartridges.

Roflcopter
RE: Anybody have a problem with my sig file? 2009/03/16 14:01:44 (permalink)

Usually there are 3 hinges and only 1 or maybe 2 locks. Gotta conserve bullets. ;)

Ah but the number of hinges is visible, and fixed - imaging trying to kick in the door and there's a lock you missed. No kicked in door, hurt leg+pride, lost the moment, and next thing you know they fire through the door and you are history. That's why.

space_cowboy
RE: Anybody have a problem with my sig file? 2009/03/16 14:04:27 (permalink)

I love you man, but that is wrong.

I do a ton of competitive shooting - long range rifle shooting, metal targets, skeet... there are lots of uses besides machines of death. But make no mistake, if someone messes with my family, these tools have other purposes

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
OffAnAirplane
RE: Anybody have a problem with my sig file? 2009/03/16 14:07:26 (permalink)

Now that's one I have call BS on. You can use it as a hammer, too. But that's not what it was made for. It was made to kill. No use trying to weasel out of that fact with me.

Nailguns don't use bullets btw, they use cartridges.

Using a gun for a hammer is no more out of place than using a hammer for a weapon.
Either of them can do either task, but each is decidedly better at doing the task for which it was created.

I'm nit-picking, I know.

But for instance, I carry a pocket-knife with me 24/7. I've been doing this since I was about 13 years old. (I'm 30 now.) I use that thing every single day in one way or another. And in all those years I've never once used it as a weapon.
But some would argue that knives are killing machines and that is what they were invented for.

OffAnAirplane
RE: Anybody have a problem with my sig file? 2009/03/16 14:08:43 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: space_cowboy
if someone messes with my family, these tools have other purposes

If someone is threatening my family, ANYTHING can be a weapon.

Pillows have been used many times to murder people by suffocation. Should we have to have a background check before purchasing a pillow?
post edited by OffAnAirplane - 2009/03/16 14:15:38

Roflcopter
RE: Anybody have a problem with my sig file? 2009/03/16 14:10:44 (permalink)
I love you man, but that is wrong.

I do a ton of competitive shooting - long range rifle shooting, metal targets, skeet... there are lots of uses besides machines of death. But make no mistake, if someone messes with my family, these tools have other purposes

Hey, I already said I am not against weapons per se. But just to be straight about tools and weapons - just about every weapon you know *started* out as a tool, or some practical purpose other than doing damage to humans.

It's just not correct to reverse that thinking, as if guns were ordinary 'tools'. Ask any 4-year old, he/she'll put you straight on that. You are doing some mighty wishful thinking here.

Again, I'm not against guns, but let's not take the euphemism thing too far.

Dave Modisette
  • Total Posts : 11050
RE: Anybody have a problem with my sig file? 2009/03/16 14:11:59 (permalink)
Your signature doesn't bother me a bit. Your intent is up for interpretation. I have a Bushmaster AR15 and a .38 revolver at home. 200 rounds of .223 ammo and a box of .38. The ammo and the key to the trigger locks are always kept in my safe. My wife has the combination and I don't so you see it's not something that is going to be used in haste. Me, I live in a hurricane area and sometimes when a disaster hits, you need a means of communicating that there are easier houses to loot than yours. Not to mention, I enjoy shooting the thing.

I don't think the moderators should ban your signature but it is their forum, not mine.
post edited by Mod Bod - 2009/03/16 14:18:27

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
My music.
... And of course, the Facebook page. 
Roflcopter
RE: Anybody have a problem with my sig file? 2009/03/16 14:12:30 (permalink)

I make wooden tonfas for friends (original Okinawa quality) - those started out as millstone handles, apparently - they were not allowed weapons on Okinawa after the Japanese invaded.

With those you can even keep an armed samurai at a very respectful distance.

OffAnAirplane
RE: Anybody have a problem with my sig file? 2009/03/16 14:15:00 (permalink)

I make wooden tonfas for friends (original Okinawa quality) - those started out as millstone handles, apparently - they were not allowed weapons on Okinawa after the Japanese invaded.

With those you can even keep an armed samurai at a very respectful distance.

But they aren't adequate in a gunfight. That's the problem.
Bad guys use guns. To defend yourself you need a gun.

Guitarhacker
  • Total Posts : 24398
RE: Anybody have a problem with my sig file? 2009/03/16 14:17:57 (permalink)
so you can use a hammer as a weapon. The reverse is not automatically true, however. Guns are not tools, only machines of death.

not true... a gun is only a tool.... the person carrying it is the one who decides how it is used.

I have a .22 with a telescopic sight that you can use to drive nails.... if you have a steady hand and good trigger control.

A hammer is a tool that will allow you to do a specific job.... drive nails...and you can use a brick, a piece of pipe, a nice set of lineman's pliars will work too...but really, nothing works as well as a hammer for that job...

A gun is a tool that will allow a 70 year old grandmother or a young mother to properly defend her home at 3am against a 200lb man intending to do her harm. Sure she could use a hammer, or a bat, or a brick as a self defense tool, but I think you'd agree..the gun works best in that situation.

I have studied martial arts for a number of years and am quite proficient with open hand & traditional weapons like knife, staff, and sword.... but in a life or death situation..... I prefer the right tool for the situation.....it's stupid to come to a gun fight with a knife.

oh...yeah... this is a music forum, but it's also in the coffee house where anything goes..... until they decide to censor the 2nd amendment and free speech.....

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
Roflcopter
RE: Anybody have a problem with my sig file? 2009/03/16 14:20:01 (permalink)

Sometimes, and in some places you do, yes. Usually a war zone. I don't live in one, fortunately. But if I were, I'd be packing, too. License or not, war zones aren't high on Law anyway.

The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
RE: Anybody have a problem with my sig file? 2009/03/16 14:20:48 (permalink)
"To defend yourself you need a gun."

I don't agree with this at all... how may bullets have they brought?

spacey
  • Total Posts : 8769
RE: Anybody have a problem with my sig file? 2009/03/16 14:38:40 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SteveJL

I don't have a particular problem with the sig, BUT can see how some might question the appropriateness of putting (flaunting?) it on a music-software forum begging the question "WTF is that here, of all places, and WTF is this person trying to say to us?....." It could seem, to some, as a tad confrontational at worst, provocative at best, gnome sayin'?

+1

The originator questioning it supports it being questionable. Whatever that means lol.

Guns are part of life where I live. Most don't even know I own mine since I quit hunting, but I do keep them with my wife's. And yes she is much more accurate with any of them. And we don't leave home without at least one. I know if I had to protect my family I would...just not sure I'd beat her to the task.

And at the risk of trying to be helpful, not funny.....If some of the gun owners here like to keep a supply of ammunition in the house...please notify your local fire department chief if you haven't already.

tarsier
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3029
RE: Anybody have a problem with my sig file? 2009/03/16 14:45:36 (permalink)
Guns are not tools, only machines of death.

They're also good for sound effects.

The guy I learned sound from was out getting ricochet sounds. They had taken precautions to not shoot the mic, but ricos can be unpredictable and one rico went right into the mic--a Calrec (AMS) ST-250. He sent it in for repair as a joke since it was completely shredded. Sadly, I forget the punchline.

The rico sounds are incredible tho.

I have guns. I don't like the NRA. I can't imagine being a lifetime member of anything. My rule about signatures is to ignore them.
OffAnAirplane
RE: Anybody have a problem with my sig file? 2009/03/16 14:48:24 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: mike_mccue

"To defend yourself you need a gun."

I don't agree with this at all... how may bullets have they brought?

Huh?

What difference does that make?

But to answer your question for hypothetical purposes, let's just say they have an average capacity automatic 9mm pistol and a full magazine. So let's say 13 bullets?

To clarify my statement. I meant if your enemy has a gun and intends to kill you with it. It is nearly impossible to stop him from doing so if you don't also have a gun. Even if you do have a gun and are skilled at using it, it doesn't gaurantee survival, but without the gun it almost gaurantees failure (i.e. death.) Now your enemy may not have a gun, but they do often enough that it's a fairly safe assumption. If I have a gun and I only really needed a knife to defend myself properly, oh well. I'd rather be over-prepared, than under-prepared.
post edited by OffAnAirplane - 2009/03/16 14:57:53

OffAnAirplane
RE: Anybody have a problem with my sig file? 2009/03/16 14:49:48 (permalink)

Sometimes, and in some places you do, yes. Usually a war zone. I don't live in one, fortunately. But if I were, I'd be packing, too. License or not, war zones aren't high on Law anyway.

Do you mean a literal warzone, or a figurative one? Because I don't consider my old neighborhood a warzone, but I've heard gunshots at night before. And even seen a couple of kids with guns at school before.

Guitarhacker
RE: Anybody have a problem with my sig file? 2009/03/16 14:56:53 (permalink)
how may bullets have they brought?

It doesn't matter.

All it takes is one properly placed round to stop the attack. All the rest of his bullets are useless.

Just remember the lady in the church in Colorado with her CCW. He'd already killed several at another church....then headed south....The perp was found to have a bag full of bullets.... he was intending to do much more killing, but one round from her stopped it.

That's why you practice, and go to the range, and work scenereo's.

BMI/NSAI

Guitarhacker
RE: Anybody have a problem with my sig file? 2009/03/16 15:05:09 (permalink)
The latest church shooting.... state of Illinois. The state does NOT allow it's citizens to carry handguns in the open (open carry) in public places or concealed. So no one legally had a gun to stop the shooting that happened there. Only after the shooter's gun jammed were the people closest to him able to jump him, and they were injured because he was smart enough to have a knife as a backup weapon.

"Gun Free zones" like whole states with no legal means to carry, schools, government buildings, college campuses, and other such GFZ's are the most dangerous places for citizens to be, because the criminals know with a reasonable certainty that no one is going to be able to stop them from their criminal acts.

BMI/NSAI

OffAnAirplane
RE: Anybody have a problem with my sig file? 2009/03/16 15:07:39 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Guitarhacker

"Gun Free zones" like whole states with no legal means to carry, schools, government buildings, college campuses, and other such GFZ's are the most dangerous places for citizens to be, because the criminals know with a reasonable certainty that no one is going to be able to stop them from their criminal acts.

It's hard to imagine how anyone could argue with that logic, isn't it?

I guess that's the difference between the liberal and conservative mind. Some people are just wired differently.
post edited by OffAnAirplane - 2009/03/16 15:14:24

Guitarhacker
RE: Anybody have a problem with my sig file? 2009/03/16 15:11:36 (permalink)
Off....

yep.

But that's the reason our country is in the mess it's in now.... because of flawed liberal logic.

NC=83
TX=91
Alaska=99 wooo hooo!!!!

on the freedom scale

Ill=29
NJ=18

DC & NYC...don't even think about it!
post edited by Guitarhacker - 2009/03/16 15:21:36

BMI/NSAI

Roflcopter
RE: Anybody have a problem with my sig file? 2009/03/16 15:26:59 (permalink)
not true... a gun is only a tool.... the person carrying it is the one who decides how it is used.

I don't want to repeat myself, but I (and most others) make a *logical* or *functional* distinction between the two, not so much a moral one.

Weapons started out as tools in most cases, but they have transcended that use, and that's a one-way street. Try using a war-hammer on a nail. It's no longer suitable for it, even though you *could* conceivably ram it home.

@tarsier

They're also good for sound effects.

Yes indeedy.

@OffAnAirplane
Do you mean a literal warzone, or a figurative one? Because I don't consider my old neighborhood a warzone, but I've heard gunshots at night before. And even seen a couple of kids with guns at school before.

I don't really know what you mean with 'figurative'. Maybe you mean 'relative'?

I don't think there's such a thing as a peaceful neighbourhood with regular shootings. That's more of a relative warzone. But hey, you can get used to that.

Doesn't make it 'normal' though. Maybe take a long vacation to a *real* peaceful place, and then decide for yourself when you get back.

That same principle can work for whole countries, BTW. Some have been at war for such a long time now, they think that's just the way of life.

I just happened to read some (pretty official documents, BTW) comparisons of Swedes and people in the US, I don't even recall what it was about, exactly, just some demographic. But it also listed at the top when both countries had last been at war. Sweden: last war 1814, or something like that. US - permanently. Dunno how correct that is, factually, but probably not too far from the truth.

And that is pretty depressing.

space_cowboy
RE: Anybody have a problem with my sig file? 2009/03/16 15:31:12 (permalink)
GH - congrats - saw NC up there with us. WTG.

Ever look at the DC crime statistics? Out of control.

Which would you chose with robbers in your house? Wait 30 minutes for the cops to show up while your family is raped and tortured? Wait about 3 seconds until you have them in your sights?

The cops are stretched too thin. I am not waiting.

OffAnAirplane
RE: Anybody have a problem with my sig file? 2009/03/16 15:33:57 (permalink)
I don't really know what you mean with 'figurative'. Maybe you mean 'relative'?

I don't think there's such a thing as a peaceful neighbourhood with regular shootings. That's more of a relative warzone. But hey, you can get used to that.

Doesn't make it 'normal' though. Maybe take a long vacation to a *real* peaceful place, and then decide for yourself when you get back.

That same principle can work for whole countries, BTW. Some have been at war for such a long time now, they think that's just the way of life.

Warzone (to me) is a military term, and a neighborhood in an small Texas town doesn't qualify. (Unless we are at war and Texas is the battlefront.) Yet you could easily be shot there.

Most of the people who lived in my neighborhood would never kill anyone. They were peaceful folks. But there were enough criminals out there to make it a considerably dangerous place to live. And by the way we did move, 15 years ago, for that reason. Sucks for those who couldn't afford to leave.

post edited by OffAnAirplane - 2009/03/16 16:01:15

jackn2mpu
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2765
RE: Anybody have a problem with my sig file? 2009/03/16 15:37:04 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: space_cowboy

GH - congrats - saw NC up there with us. WTG.

Ever look at the DC crime statistics? Out of control.

Which would you chose with robbers in your house? Wait 30 minutes for the cops to show up while your family is raped and tortured? Wait about 3 seconds until you have them in your sights?

The cops are stretched too thin. I am not waiting.

And the courts have said that the police are under no obligation to protect individuals, but society at large.
Want to stop a criminal in the middle of the night that's broken into your house without firing a shot? Try racking a shell in a pump shotgun.
Or just line your laser sights on them - that little red dot will make them fill their underwear in no time.

Jack
Qapla!
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1