LockedAnybody have a problem with my sig file?

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
OffAnAirplane
Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1386
RE: Anybody have a problem with my sig file? 2009/03/16 15:38:16 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Roflcopter

not true... a gun is only a tool.... the person carrying it is the one who decides how it is used.

I don't want to repeat myself, but I (and most others) make a *logical* or *functional* distinction between the two, not so much a moral one.

Weapons started out as tools in most cases, but they have transcended that use, and that's a one-way street. Try using a war-hammer on a nail. It's no longer suitable for it, even though you *could* conceivably ram it home.

@tarsier

A warhammer and a roofing hammer have very little in common.
Not a good comparison. And even when warhammers were used for battle, there were blacksmithing hammers being used as tools. Certain hammers were created as weapons and certain hammers were created as tools. They didn't evolve as you suggest.
Knives are the same way. There are swords and there are utility knives. One didn't evolve from the other. A Native-American could've used his skinning knife to protect himself if necessary, but that isn't what it was normally used for.

And as was already said, it is the choice of the person holding the gun. Guns without shooters are harmless pieces of metal. They can murder. They prevent murder. They can be used for target practice. They can be used for hunting. They can be used as paper-weights. They are not evil. They can be used for evil. But they can be used for good.
It's the choice of the the user. There are some avid gun-owners who have never even shot their guns outside of the shooting range, and they pray to God they will never need to. I would actually suspect that describes most gun owners.
post edited by OffAnAirplane - 2009/03/16 15:53:26

Rom 8:18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us.
jackn2mpu
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2765
RE: Anybody have a problem with my sig file? 2009/03/16 15:44:13 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SteveJL

I don't have a particular problem with the sig, BUT can see how some might question the appropriateness of putting (flaunting?) it on a music-software forum begging the question "WTF is that here, of all places, and WTF is this person trying to say to us?....." It could seem, to some, as a tad confrontational at worst, provocative at best, gnome sayin'?

So it's confrontational? So it's provocative? BFD. It's what I believe in, and those beliefs don't change depending on where I am. I'm as consistent in what I say and do as much as possible and don't believe in so-called political correctness.

Jack
Qapla!
Guitarhacker
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24398
RE: Anybody have a problem with my sig file? 2009/03/16 15:45:05 (permalink)
Want to stop a criminal in the middle of the night that's broken into your house without firing a shot? Try racking a shell in a pump shotgun.
Or just line your laser sights on them - that little red dot will make them fill their underwear in no time.

Agree 100%

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
SteveJL
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4644
RE: Anybody have a problem with my sig file? 2009/03/16 15:55:10 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jackn2mpu
BFD.

I guess that says it all about your attitudes and the actual intent of this thread (ie, lack of respect for others' opinions, and general closedness).

In light of that, I change my vote to "Yes, I DO have a problem with your sig."

Roflcopter
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6767
RE: Anybody have a problem with my sig file? 2009/03/16 15:57:47 (permalink)
They didn't evolve as you suggest.

Oh, they sure as heck did. If you use something for peaceful purposes first, and then it suddenly gets used in some freakishly huge and threating form, making it unsuitable for it's original task, that is evolution, yes, although I am beginning to suspect that your problems with the word stem entirely from a different meaning of that word, and you shouldn't do that either.

Things evolve, yes. We are not walking around in skinned animals either. Fashion is one of those things. Nothing to do with Darwin, no reason to shoot down everything that evolves just on the grounds of some negative connotation.

And I already said that to me, it's not so much of a moral thing. For you, there is ONLY morality, it seems, about who uses what when and why. That's a totally DIFFERENT discussion, my friend, and one that could take forever.

But do not confuse the two things, I would say. Guns don't become tools because you say so, or want them to be, or prefer it that others equate them as such, so they seem more normal.

That's a political statement, not a factual one.

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
The Maillard Reaction
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31918
RE: Anybody have a problem with my sig file? 2009/03/16 15:58:21 (permalink)

So it's confrontational? So it's provocative? BFD. It's what I believe in, and those beliefs don't change depending on where I am. I'm as consistent in what I say and do as much as possible and don't believe in so-called political correctness.

"Too many music toys to list"

Jack, some people might think the "come rob my house" billboard announcement is provocative enough ;-)

I suggest that a low key profile all the way around is far more gracious and good neighborly.

best,
mike

edit spelling
post edited by mike_mccue - 2009/03/16 16:05:51

OffAnAirplane
Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1386
RE: Anybody have a problem with my sig file? 2009/03/16 16:05:28 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SteveJL

BFD.

I guess that says it all about your attitudes and the actual intent of this thread (ie, lack of respect for others' opinions, and general closedness).

In light of that, I change my vote to "Yes, I DO have a problem with your sig."

Why? Because you disagree with it's message?
Do you have some right to only have information that you agree with in your field of view?
You may be offended by my sig. In fact if you aren't a Christian, I feel pretty confident you would disagree with my sig. But does disagreeing necessitate being offended? It doesn't have to. So why let it?

A sig (usually) is designed to be a short blurb that represents you as a person. That's exactly what mine does. That's exactly what jackn2mpu's does. If you say you have a problem with his sig (or mine), that means you have a problem with him (or me) personally. Because those are personal statements about who we are.

So in essense it would be as if you were a muslim and walking into a local pub and you see a man wearing a necklace with a crucifix on it, and telling him that you don't like it and he needs to take it off. You have the right to not like it. You even have the right to tell him you don't like it. (though I would question your character if you did.) But you do not have the right to make him remove it. Nor should you.

Rom 8:18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us.
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1