Anybody know how to install windows xp in the leanest way? !!!SOLVED!!!!

Author
frankjcc
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 383
2010/07/23 11:54:33 (permalink)

Anybody know how to install windows xp in the leanest way? !!!SOLVED!!!!

I have a decent setup but I continually get this zipper type noise for the simplest projects.  Lately all I have on is the input monitoring on 1 track and the rec button armed, and I still got the noise without even recording anything.

I've done the dpc latency thing and everything is fine.  I've done all the simple tweaks.

I just bought a 32 gig solid state hard drive in hopes to relieve me of this madness.

I want to have just the OS and Sonar including a temporary Audio data folder.  I must also install my synths because the what I make music with.

I want to somehow be able to transfer the temp files to the real audio drive without Sonar making a big fit about it.  and when it's time for vocals I want to be back on the lean system.

Experienced advice on this situation would be much appreciated

Thanks

post edited by frankjcc - 2010/07/24 20:35:43

Sonar platinum (life)
Scarlett 18i20  2nd gen
Intel i7 7700k 4.2ghz  16gig ram
Geforce GTX 550 ti
Win 10 Pro 64

21 Replies Related Threads

slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re:Anybody know how to install windows xp in the leanest way? 2010/07/23 12:24:42 (permalink)
    zipper type noise for the simplest projects

You are assuming that the noise is from dropouts (i. e. the system cannot keep up with processing)--otherwise there would be little point in tweaking the system. With a core 2 quad and a reasonable amount of memory that would be an unlikely cause of the noise.
    brundlefly
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re:Anybody know how to install windows xp in the leanest way? 2010/07/23 12:41:39 (permalink)
    I have a decent setup but I continually get this zipper type noise for the simplest projects.

I run a system similar to yours - 1820m, Q9550, GEForce 8600GT. It's Win7 x64 now, but was XP SP3 for a long time, and ran flawlessly (better than Win7, in fact). 

What exactly does this noise sound like, and under what circumstances do you hear it? Is it present in exported mixes played on other systems?

What sample rate do you run with your 1820m, and what ASIO buffer size? 44.1 kHz should be fine, but I found slightly better performance with small buffers at 48kHz. In either case, the smallest buffer setting of 2ms works fine here, so long as the CPU stays under about 70%.

Have you checked to be sure the 1820m is not sharing an IRQ with anything else? If it is, you might try moving it to a different PCI or disabling whatever it's sharing with. I had to disable one USB hub in my system. Also, it's generally recommend to put the 1820's card in the PCI slot furthest from the video card.

frankjcc
    Re:Anybody know how to install windows xp in the leanest way? 2010/07/23 13:31:00 (permalink)
    thanks for your reply brundlefly,  I use 44.1 kHz. The noise sounds like a high pitch nnnnnnnnnnnn that lasts for 1/4 sec. and it interupts recordings or playing soft synths.  I normally get it when I am recording a soft synth in real time.  i was really thinking it is midi related some how.  but I also got it with just one audio track with input monitoring on and the rec button armed.

I never get it while mixing, or playback in general, so maybe is has something to do with recording midi or audio.

I use 2ms cause i need low latency while recording.

My card in the exact slot that you decribe furthes from the video card, and it is not sharing and irq. I checked that long ago but I'm going to check again incase i missed something

thanks for all of your help

Sonar platinum (life)
    Scarlett 18i20  2nd gen
    Geforce GTX 550 ti
    Win 10 Pro 64
    dontletmedrown
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1722
    Re:Anybody know how to install windows xp in the leanest way? 2010/07/23 13:33:40 (permalink)
    I get a zipper noise too using an AES16e on an i7 965 system.  Been trouble-shooting it for months now and still haven't solved it.  The most difficult thing is that it's very intermittent.  I'll work for 8 hours and only hear it happen once or twice.  Even Paul from Lynx is baffled.  CPU load is somewhere around 1% and it happens at ANY buffer setting.  Any help is appreciated. 
    brundlefly
    Re:Anybody know how to install windows xp in the leanest way? 2010/07/23 14:51:28 (permalink)
    The noise sounds like a high pitch nnnnnnnnnnnn that lasts for 1/4 sec. and it interupts recordings or playing soft synths.

This sounds a little like what I have described in the past as "soft dropouts" with my 1820m, where the analog output level drops to near nothing for a second or less, and then comes back. It happens so rarely, and it's so brief  that I've never been able to determine for sure whether it's on the input or output side and whether it's rooted in the digital or analog realms.  I seldom or never hear it in playback, either, but I this isn't too surprising, as I spend a lot more time just playing live with input monitoring than I do listening to playback.

But a while ago, I found references to a similar-sounding issue here: http://www.productionforums.com/viewforum.php?f=5

that suggested it's due to failing capacitors in the output section of the 1820m, which is apparently a common problem.

I haven't gotten around to opening up my 1820m to see if this might be the issue. The symptoms seem right, but I haven't ruled out a driver problem.
    johnnycee7
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 26
    Re:Anybody know how to install windows xp in the leanest way? 2010/07/23 15:12:24 (permalink)
    How much memory is your comp running? 1 gb 2gb etc. 
    frankjcc
    Re:Anybody know how to install windows xp in the leanest way? 2010/07/23 15:21:13 (permalink)
    johnnycee7

How much memory is your comp running? 1 gb 2gb etc. 

4 gb in the machine but access to whatever windows gives me, I'm on xp home so I don't think the 3gig switch works for me

Thanks

Sonar platinum (life)
    Scarlett 18i20  2nd gen
    Geforce GTX 550 ti
    Win 10 Pro 64
    frankjcc
    Re:Anybody know how to install windows xp in the leanest way? 2010/07/23 15:24:57 (permalink)
    Thanks Brundlefly, I will check the forum to see if i can find the one you're talking about.   I'm thinking it might be a driver issue as well, and probably why they discontinued it.

I still at it looking for solutions
    dr.hash
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 220
    Re:Anybody know how to install windows xp in the leanest way? 2010/07/23 18:53:54 (permalink)
    Look i know how to configure windows, but to tell you over the forum would be hard.  First have you changed xp to give more memory to your background sevices.  Change your paging file to match your memory and turn off all the fancy ****.  Get rid of the secondary login as well.  IN the services tools there is raft of things you can turn off automatic updating, themes, secondary logon and the list goes on.  I dont have my book with me at the moment but there is a book that you can buy that gives a guide on how to do this.  when it arrives next week and if i remember i will shoot you thru the title.  Remember folks this is for xp not vista or seven these are different beasts and need to be configured accordingly.

Peace and Love The Doctor B.CT (Bachelor Of Creative Technology)  I will be adding Master of Music Technology at the end of the year, sorry i am an egotist but you need to know my credentials.
    http://www.myspace.com/audiomystics
    NoKey
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 974
    Re:Anybody know how to install windows xp in the leanest way? 2010/07/23 19:04:26 (permalink)
    I haven't seen this mentioned in this forums, but in the past some noise was coming from some soft synth having input from the mic, which is allowed for it, because it can add its effects to audio, but even without the mic on seems to me there could be some noise show up in the outputs.

And, by the way, the input could also be any other audio channel, but I really wanted it and changed it to none.

That instrument is the Native B4, which is meant to receive MIDI signals, but also has settings for Audio INPUT, and eve settings for MIDI output..

So inputs/outputs that are not needed, might be set for some default other than none.

I doubt this be your case, but mention it just in case it could be something similar.

Songs I've produced with Sonar LE: http://www.soundclick.com...ult.cfm?bandID=1086857
    daveny5
    • Total Posts : 16934
    Re:Anybody know how to install windows xp in the leanest way? 2010/07/23 22:29:11 (permalink)
    Turn down graphics acceleration in your display properties.

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    Guitarpima
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4125
    Re:Anybody know how to install windows xp in the leanest way? 2010/07/24 00:03:28 (permalink)
    [<font]To streamline XP go to www.blackviper.com.

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
    brundlefly
    Re:Anybody know how to install windows xp in the leanest way? 2010/07/24 03:35:36 (permalink)
    First have you changed xp to give more memory to your background sevices

First it's not memory, it's processor scheduling. And second that particular tweak is long since discredited - debunked once and for all by noneother than the CTO of Cakewalk, Noel Borthwick.
    mattplaysguitar
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1992
    Re:Anybody know how to install windows xp in the leanest way? 2010/07/24 04:49:53 (permalink)
    brundlefly

First it's not memory, it's processor scheduling. And second that particular tweak is long since discredited - debunked once and for all by noneother than the CTO of Cakewalk, Noel Borthwick.

You got a link to that? This is the first I have heard of this. It has always been my first tweak after turning off all the cr@p.

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/mattlyonsmusic

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

Susan G
    • Total Posts : 12016
    Re:Anybody know how to install windows xp in the leanest way? 2010/07/24 05:12:34 (permalink)

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
    Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
    SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64
    brundlefly
    Re:Anybody know how to install windows xp in the leanest way? 2010/07/24 11:03:08 (permalink)
    Susan G

Hi Matt-

See http://forum.cakewalk.com...30&mpage=1#1239881

-Susan
    Hi Susan. Good to see you prowling around here. Thanks for hunting up that post. 

Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    Re:Anybody know how to install windows xp in the leanest way? 2010/07/24 11:17:04 (permalink)
    brundlefly
    It almost made sense when we had 1 CPU...
    dr.hash
    • Total Posts : 220
    Re:Anybody know how to install windows xp in the leanest way? 2010/07/24 19:35:01 (permalink)
    Ok is that all you are going to poo poo me on.  Processor scheduling.  How juvenile i was trying to help this member out.  I have done countless hours of research and I'm pretty sure the book that will be arriving with the rest of my stuff next week suggests this tweak.  Look if i have got it wrong, fine!. 
    I've noticed though you haven't poo poo any of my other suggestions.

This is the kind of crap that i will have to put up with for the rest of my life no doubt.  Oh you have academic credentials, the common man and the masses don't like people with a bit of confidence and knowledge (It's called the tall poppy syndrome).  It's called fear!!!  Look i will happily admit that i was wrong and when i am wrong. 

It's time to realize that the democratization of music and software is killing our industry.  Just because you can use a step sequencer and a preset, it doesn't make you an artist, a musician or anything else.  I believe firmly in the pursuit of knowledge.  I have learnt in the last month and i have made this statement on this forum, that i have learnt more by putting together two beatle tracks than i have ever learnt at collage.  I now know something special and something that most of you will not ever understand.  I could not have done this, if i had not been doing what i have been doing for the last 10 years.  5 of those were in institutional education.

I learnt a lot by my own means, then used the education to tweak that knowledge.

Peace and Love Ben B.CT (Bachelor Of Creative Technology)
    Crg
    • Total Posts : 7719
    Re:Anybody know how to install windows xp in the leanest way? 2010/07/24 20:23:27 (permalink)
    Anybody know how to install windows xp in the leanest way?

Yeah, install Win 7.

Craig DuBuc
    frankjcc
    Re:Anybody know how to install windows xp in the leanest way? 2010/07/24 20:39:57 (permalink)
    I thought I was OK with dpc latency checker since I remain in the green area, but I was wrong, I disable the pci card that allowed me to keep my plextor cdr drives, since they were ide drives,  and the latency checker went way down and hovered at the bottom with very little upward movement.  I flew to everything I use to do that caused the zipper noises and I'm freeeee.  I'm very happy like I just got a super computer.

Thanks to everyone that helped and those that tried.

God bless you all

Thanks again
    post edited by frankjcc - 2010/07/24 20:41:50

Sonar platinum (life)
    Scarlett 18i20  2nd gen
    Geforce GTX 550 ti
    Win 10 Pro 64
    GHOSTNOTES
    • Total Posts : 210
    Re:Anybody know how to install windows xp in the leanest way? 2010/07/24 20:49:10 (permalink)
    dr.hash

Ok is that all you are going to poo poo me on.  Processor scheduling.  How juvenile i was trying to help this member out.  I have done countless hours of research and I'm pretty sure the book that will be arriving with the rest of my stuff next week suggests this tweak.  Look if i have got it wrong, fine!. 
    I've noticed though you haven't poo poo any of my other suggestions.

This is the kind of crap that i will have to put up with for the rest of my life no doubt.  Oh you have academic credentials, the common man and the masses don't like people with a bit of confidence and knowledge (It's called the tall poppy syndrome).  It's called fear!!!  Look i will happily admit that i was wrong and when i am wrong. 

It's time to realize that the democratization of music and software is killing our industry.  Just because you can use a step sequencer and a preset, it doesn't make you an artist, a musician or anything else.  I believe firmly in the pursuit of knowledge.  I have learnt in the last month and i have made this statement on this forum, that i have learnt more by putting together two beatle tracks than i have ever learnt at collage.  I now know something special and something that most of you will not ever understand.  I could not have done this, if i had not been doing what i have been doing for the last 10 years.  5 of those were in institutional education.

I learnt a lot by my own means, then used the education to tweak that knowledge.

Peace and Love Ben B.CT (Bachelor Of Creative Technology)

Facepalm

Equipment:
    Sonar
    MSI Z170A Titanium Gaming motherborad
    Intel i7-6800K
    32Gb DDR4 3400
    6X1TB Samsung SSD
    EVGA 1080 Graphics
    Alesis IO-26
    PreSonus DigiMAX D8
    http://www.myspace.com/peartfan1