Anybody using a Tascam FW-1082... ASIO vs WDM ???

Author
Stony Roads
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 37
2007/12/23 17:00:19 (permalink)

Anybody using a Tascam FW-1082... ASIO vs WDM ???

Hi, I am using a Tascam FW-1082 with SPE 7.01 I had been using WDM divers which seemed to work quite nicely for a while. At the time I had SPE 6 and SPE 7 on my computer (AMD 64 dual core 2 gig mem...) My clicking and poping issue started when I removed SPE 6.... in SPE 7, I adjusted latency till I was blue, was using WDM drivers.... got on with tech support (this guy was very sharp) we deleted the aud. file a few other things, and changed to ASIO drivers.... things were running ok but I still get a very sparse click or pop on ocassion. Adjusting the latency too much or too little locks up the software.... Don't want to over use my tech support welcome as I am sure this is just something I am overlooking. Anyone else using a Tascam FW-1082? Any tweeks or recomendations?? Thank you

If all else fails.... read the directions!

3 Replies Related Threads

riojazz
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1337
    RE: Anybody using a Tascam FW-1082... ASIO vs WDM ??? 2007/12/23 18:04:45 (permalink)
    I have the FW-1884, which I presume to be similar.

I never had success with ASIO, and only use WDM. I had timing problems on my system with ASIO. Your system is undoubtedly entirely different...

Several years ago, I discovered I could remove clicks and pops, and hesitation, by disabling my Internet card before using SONAR.

Are you using the latest Tascam drivers?

Software: Cakewalk by Bandlab; Adobe Audition; Band-in-A-Box audiophile; Izotope Ozone; Encore; Melodyne; Win 10 Pro, 64-bit.

Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd; Roland Integra-7; TCE Finalizer; Presonus Central Station, Behringer X-Touch.  Home built i7 with 16 GB RAM, SSDs.
    HeavyTRAFFIK
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 362
    RE: Anybody using a Tascam FW-1082... ASIO vs WDM ??? 2007/12/24 14:15:02 (permalink)
    I use the FW-1082. I've always run it in WDM mode, never had much luck with ASIO. I had some occasional popping issues myself before I got it running nicely. Seemed the key for me was making sure that all unnecessary cards on my system were disabled (for me that was just my network card and onboard audio device).

Also, if you had problems after uninstalling a previous version of Sonar, you might wanna try uninstalling the FW-1082 drivers from your system, do a system clean and defrag, and then reinstall. Then obviously you'll have to reassign the Tascam's ins and out, but that's no big (and don't forget the Sonar plugin). I think I recall needing to do this when I upgraded (I went from Sonar 4SE to Sonar 6PE). Things have been like butter ever since.

I've also heard that adjusting your buffer size settings in increments of 128 in the Audio options menu may help. I think I have mine set to 256. Not positive this has a huge impact on my system, but people here and there have suggested it might. Anyway, hope some of this helps.

You got ahold of a Tascam tech support guy?!?! TASCAM!?!? Wow! I'm impressed. Tascam is absolutey legendary for their dreadful customer service. Congratulations!
    Stony Roads
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 37
    RE: Anybody using a Tascam FW-1082... ASIO vs WDM ??? 2007/12/24 15:15:34 (permalink)
    Thanks for your input, sorry for the confusion.... this was a very sharp tech support guy from cakewalk..... not tascam....LOL He did recommend the newest drivers and firmware which I installed. I'll take a look at my cards and I'll try the defrag/reinstall idea. I may switch back to the AISO drivers ??? Thank you very much for your help...

If all else fails.... read the directions!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1