Anybody using the new EastWest 'PLAY' engine in P5?

Author
cryophonik
Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4724
2008/05/18 13:57:01 (permalink)

Anybody using the new EastWest 'PLAY' engine in P5?

I just picked up 'Voices of Passion' and it's very cool, but the PLAY System Manual has very specific instructions for inserting it into Sonar (and some other DAWs), but it does not provide any special instructions for P5. I'm just wondering if others are using the PLAY system in P5 and if you've had any problems with it that I should be aware of before getting too far into a project using VoP.

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

6 Replies Related Threads

Digital Aura
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5118
    RE: Anybody using the new EastWest 'PLAY' engine in P5? 2008/05/20 12:19:06 (permalink)
    Shoot! That thing is like $500. How does this work? Can you actually make your own melody line for the 'oooh's and 'ahh's? Looks like a cool package but steep for a bedroom producer! LOL
    I'd like to hear what you come up with using this...gimme a holler!

I'm actually surprised you'd bother with this app, seeing as you have so many talented vocalists at your disposal.
    post edited by Digital Aura - 2008/05/20 12:38:53
    :10:
    Max Output Level: -38.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3678
    RE: Anybody using the new EastWest 'PLAY' engine in P5? 2008/05/20 12:43:25 (permalink)
    I'm actually surprised you'd bother with this app, seeing as you have so many talented vocalists at your disposal.

I know,..he needs to start sending a few of them my way...

cryophonik
    RE: Anybody using the new EastWest 'PLAY' engine in P5? 2008/05/20 14:38:20 (permalink)
    'Voices of Passion' is not designed to replace a real singer - it's more for ambient music, film scoring, etc. where you'd be creating the impression of language, rather than actual phrases/lyrics. It contains high quality sample phrases, vowels, oohs/aahs, etc. from several Middle Eastern, Welsh, and American vocalists and you've got a lot of flexibility (e.g., keyswitches) with the articulations, but it's not designed to sing lyrics. It's very cool and creates vocals that I can't get from any of the real singers that I work with. If you're familiar with Delerium at all, you'd probably better understand what I'm talking about - their trademark sound uses these types of samples in the intros, breakdowns, and outros of many of their songs. I'll post some samples once I find time to get comfortable with it and create something worthwhile. The sound quality is absolutely amazing and it has a built-in convolution reverb, stereo doubling, artificial tape delay (chorus-type effect), etc. If you get a chance, search youtube for EastWest Voices of Passion and you'll see the three tutorial videos that I'm talking about (WARNING: you may want to let your wife protect the credit card ).

Regarding the price, yeah, it's expensive ($445 USD street price) and the only reason I got it is because I had a credit for returned merchandise and this VSTi was high on my list of "dream toys that I don't need" ever since I came across the tutorials on youtube.

cryophonik
    RE: Anybody using the new EastWest 'PLAY' engine in P5? 2008/05/20 14:51:16 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: :10:

I know,..he needs to start sending a few of them my way...

If any of you guys ever need female vocals for your tracks, let me know. The girls I work with are eager to write/record and I honestly don't have time b/t family and work to write enough songs to keep up with them. I've got 3 songs of theirs that still need to be completed! If you guys have any songs that you want vocals for, send me an email with an idea of what you're looking for and an mp3 and I'll pass it on to them. I won't make any promises for them, but if any of the singers like it and want to record it, I can handle recording the vocals. I may even be interested in collaborating musically. Of course, I put this offer out there at the risk of being bombarded with more requests than I can handle, but I'll do what I can do. Writing, recording, producing, etc. is one of my passions and my pressure release valve.

:10:
    Max Output Level: -38.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3678
    RE: Anybody using the new EastWest 'PLAY' engine in P5? 2008/05/20 15:25:29 (permalink)
    do you mind putting up a link of all teh girls you work with? I would like to listen to some examples.

cryophonik
    RE: Anybody using the new EastWest 'PLAY' engine in P5? 2008/05/20 15:39:08 (permalink)
    If you click on my 'cryophonik' signature below, you'll be taken to my myspace page with several songs featuring Aliciya and Avonlea (the two singers I work most closely with) and Pasha, Jessi, and Arlene. The song titles in the mp3 player indicate which singer is featured on each song. Unfortunately, I don't have any samples of Arlene on the myspace player, but I can post a short sample later. She is the only one of the bunch who doesn't write lyrics, so you'd need to provide them for her.

Also, the way we usually work is that I provide a piano track with a melody idea and give them the freedom to use it for their lyrics, change it, or ignore it (they usually use it or tweak it). I don't write lyrics at all, so I leave that up to the singers.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1