Anyone Try Drumtracker Yet?

Author
space_cowboy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9813
2009/02/04 18:33:43 (permalink)

Anyone Try Drumtracker Yet?

If so, how is it working?

I have a toon that I recorded with a live drummer where his part is pretty complicated and while the groove is on the move, a fixing - it could behoove (poetry in motion - Bam!)

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!

11 Replies Related Threads

stratton
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1446
    RE: Anyone Try Drumtracker Yet? 2009/02/04 20:01:06 (permalink)
    Good (perfect) results on the kick "in" and snare top tracks, dicey on the hat because of bleed. Seems do-able, though. Mapped output to S20 and it worked great.

I wanted to simply replace a boingy snare and add some kick to the, uh, kick.
    post edited by stratton - 2009/02/04 20:05:53
    space_cowboy
    RE: Anyone Try Drumtracker Yet? 2009/02/04 20:04:19 (permalink)
    so does it work as a plug in sonar or external?

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    fitzj
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1487
    RE: Anyone Try Drumtracker Yet? 2009/02/05 07:16:45 (permalink)
    What exactly does it do.
    I have sd2 and ezdrummer plus the pro-player. Do I need more?
    Dave Modisette
    • Total Posts : 11050
    RE: Anyone Try Drumtracker Yet? 2009/02/05 09:40:03 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: fitzj

What exactly does it do.
    I have sd2 and ezdrummer plus the pro-player. Do I need more?

It is like an external drum replacement work station. It exports a midi file that you import into your project to drive a drum sampler. I've tested it by using SUPERIOR 2 drum track that had tempo changes gradually picking up speed at each section throughout the entire track. I froze a couple of tracks and used them as the source audio tracks for Drumtracker. When the rendered midi file was reimported back into the original piece I checked the result and I found that the rendered midi gave me a midi track that (timing wise) matched my original midi. That, I thought was pretty impressive.

However, if anyone thinks that this program is going to automatically figure out what your drum part should have been when it's being fed a track of mush, it ain't gonna happen. It's not a product for the experimenter to do endless "what if" scenarios. IOW, it's a repair tool not a gadget for experimentation. It's really to fix a problem with a drum recording that must leave the studio sounding satisfactory. It works best (meaning easiest) when fed a series of individual instrument tracks that have distinct transients that are higher in volume than the bleed from other instruments. IOW, don't feed it the stereo OH mix of the kit. Feed it the close mic tracks and let your drum sampler create the OH mix.

That's not to say that you can't work a stereo drum mix. You will have a lot of manual decision making in that case as you let Drumtracker know what instrument should be rendered for the transients that it finds but you will have all the tools you need to do that efficiently. The more you learn to work the program, the better and faster your results will come.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    fitzj
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1487
    RE: Anyone Try Drumtracker Yet? 2009/02/05 10:29:59 (permalink)
    Thanks for the update Mod Bod
    space_cowboy
    RE: Anyone Try Drumtracker Yet? 2009/02/05 10:31:25 (permalink)
    Dave
    I usually track 9 channels of drums.
    Kiok
    Snare
    Hat
    Tom 1
    Tom 2
    Tom 3
    OH pair

We are pretty careful to try to minimize bleed (though you cannot eliminate it obviously).

I am just looking to fix places where the timing lagged a bit or where a snare or tom hit didn't come in where it was supposed to.

How does it perform under that scenario?

Thanks

Dave Modisette
    RE: Anyone Try Drumtracker Yet? 2009/02/05 10:39:49 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: space_cowboy

Dave
    I usually track 9 channels of drums.
    Kiok
    Snare
    Hat
    Tom 1
    Tom 2
    Tom 3
    OH pair

We are pretty careful to try to minimize bleed (though you cannot eliminate it obviously).

I am just looking to fix places where the timing lagged a bit or where a snare or tom hit didn't come in where it was supposed to.

How does it perform under that scenario?

Thanks

Although I could do what you are asking and utilize DT to do the job, I don't think that was the vision of the product.

It's more like, I've got a good performance but the the Hi Hat wasn't loud enough or the snare drum sounds like crap. It's geared to replace the SOUND of the drum instrument by means of a midi instrument/drum sampler.

If you want to keep your instrument recording but correct certain timing issues, it would require you to create samples of your current drums and load them into a sampler.

If you want to correct the performance as well as replace the sound you would be on target with the scope of the product.

My music.
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    RE: Anyone Try Drumtracker Yet? 2009/02/05 10:40:02 (permalink)
    the timing lagged a bit or where a snare or tom hit didn't come in where it was supposed to.

Wouldn't audiosnap be better suited for that scenario?
    Dave Modisette
    RE: Anyone Try Drumtracker Yet? 2009/02/05 10:42:56 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bapu

the timing lagged a bit or where a snare or tom hit didn't come in where it was supposed to.

Wouldn't audiosnap be better suited for that scenario?

That would be the tool that I would reach for in this case. Though I wish Audiosnap worked a little more like Drumtracker in it's transient detection and transient editing.
    post edited by Mod Bod - 2009/02/05 10:47:54

My music.
    space_cowboy
    RE: Anyone Try Drumtracker Yet? 2009/02/05 10:51:49 (permalink)
    My first choice too. However, the bleed issue makes Audio Snap very hard to work with. If I quantize a snare around here and there to fix some off beats, it creates phasing unless I try to quantize the hats, overheads, toms....
    I have tried using gates on the toms and wherever else but still, the snare shows up lots of places no matter how careful we are with mic techniques. It is nearly impossible to get it out.

I am happy with the sound we are getting. I want to fix bad hits without the phasing issue from fixing the snare but not the other channels picking it up. I guess the alternative is to retrack.

Thanks though.

rxfox3
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 107
    RE: Anyone Try Drumtracker Yet? 2009/02/08 11:59:57 (permalink)
    Most of the time I run 12 drum tracks (yes overkill). I try my best to get everything sounding good before I start, so I am not having to go back and fix things later, but honestly sometimes things just go bad and I don't catch it untill after the drummer has torn the kit down and left!

When I saw Drumtracker I was excited and thought it was going to be new tool for me, but after trying to use it I found it to be hard to work with with. Another $125 app taking up space on my drive! Maybe it works for other people, but it just makes me want to rip my hair out.

If you have a solid performance and just want to deal with the sound of the drums (boxy toms, thin snare, boomy kick), check out Drumagog. It's a plugin that works with the audio of individual recorded drum tracks. Just place it in in as an effect and you can replace or blend new kick,snare,tom samples with the original drum track. Its easy to use, comes with good samples, lets you use other samples, and is a cool plugin for the money. It works with the recorded audio, so you don't have to mess around with converting stuff to midi. If the performance was good this plugin my be what you are looking for and it's fast!!!!!!!

It's probably one of the most used plugins I have (for drum stuff), and has saved more recorded drum tracks than I can count! Here is a link for it http://www.drumagog.com/

ADK Proaudio workstation, Sonar7 Producer, Sound Forge 9.0, Mackie MCU PRO + Expansions, RME HDSP 9652, Presonus Digimax FS x 2, , Korg TR61 workstation, Ozone 3, Har-Bal, all things guitar!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1