Anyone Using the Muse Receptor?

Author
Nick P
Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3112
2008/02/02 19:54:53 (permalink)

Anyone Using the Muse Receptor?

The Muse Receptor came across my radar last night. Looks like a cool product. Bummer - Rapture is not one of the "receptorized" instruments. Neither is DimPro. But Z3TA+ is. However they seem to have created a new way of loading plug-ins where they don't need to be "receptorized".

I read much of the Muse Research marketing materials so I understand what this is about. However it's not magic (I don't think). Since their big competition seems to be people using PCs and Macs on live gigs, they keep talking about 1) The complexity of creating a computer setup, i.e. interfaces etc., for a live gig, which is debatable if not entirely not true, 2) The quick recovery time if the power is interrupted - probably true 3) Low (2ms) latency amounts, which I believe can now be achieved on a "regular" PC or Mac, 4) Looks better than a laptop for certain ensembles - totally disagree with this.

With laptops and small form-factor computers getting smaller, more powerful, and more reliable, it seems this piece of hardware is less and less unique.

And one question to someone who actually uses it live - what is the time between "patch" changes, especially if changing multis? Is it more or less instantaneous like a Korg Triton or Roland Fantom, or, like I suspect, since we are still dealing with software synths, is there a delay?

Thanks!

Cakewalk Forums - A Great Learning Resource For All Things Cakewalk!

10 Replies Related Threads

techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: Anyone Using the Muse Receptor? 2008/02/02 21:30:00 (permalink)
    I've not played with a Receptor, but I have studied over what information I could find because I thought they seemed pretty interesting (but that was a while ago). From what I had gathered it is a standard computer in rackmount form (possibly an industrial small format board?) running a custom version of Linux. Since it is Linux then that means that these VST plugins are either ported and re-compiled to the Receptor "platform" or Receptor is employing the use of some type of compatibility layer (like WINE?) to load and execute Windows DLL files.

I would expect that latency and patch change times would be more in line with a typical PC platform than it would be with dedicated hardware.

I, too, am curious as to the experiences people have had with these units.
    auricle
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 492
    RE: Anyone Using the Muse Receptor? 2008/02/02 23:47:19 (permalink)
    Go over to KVR as it is hosted by Muse Research. There's dedicated forums there for the Receptor so you can browse and ask questions there.

The forum is here
    agincourtdb
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4753
    RE: Anyone Using the Muse Receptor? 2008/02/03 01:34:28 (permalink)
    I want the Receptor "Komplete Inside" version. You basically get a regular receptor, with NI Komplete 5 thrown in half price.

auricle
    RE: Anyone Using the Muse Receptor? 2008/02/03 03:01:41 (permalink)
    The Receptor does look good, and it removes the strain from your CPU for your processor hungry plugins but remember that any plugin with complex registration procedures probably won't work on Receptor, including any plugins that 'call home' for challenge-response, etc. That's why Muse are offering NI complete pre-installed, it has to be installed in the factory and cannot be done by the end-user.

Installation of new plugins is also complicated, that's why there is a database of plugins on Muse's site that tells you which plugins work or don't.
    Nick P
    RE: Anyone Using the Muse Receptor? 2008/02/03 03:53:38 (permalink)
    Well there is a pretty impressive list of soft-synths that do work with Receptor, and they have this new software introduced at NAMM which supposedly allows you to use just about any other VST plug with it.

Assuming someone can verify latencies as low as 2ms with the right keyboard controller and MIDI interface to a PC, which I believe is very do-able these days, then that's one of its big selling points which is sort of negated.

Also, if patch and combi changing takes just as long on the Receptor, due to its noise-generating insides being comprised of VST soft-synths, then really it's the same experience of playing keyboards trigging soft-synths from a PC, assuming eveything's working right.

I think if I had 2 grand to invest, I'd buy a Creation Station or a PC from Studio Cat, a good reliable audio/MIDI interface, and just deal with whatever minor issues come up.

A big thing missing from Receptor, of course, is the lack of any hosting software which allows sequencing and audio recording, such as Sonar, Project 5, Reason, FL, etc.

techead
    RE: Anyone Using the Muse Receptor? 2008/02/03 05:03:30 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Nick P

A big thing missing from Receptor, of course, is the lack of any hosting software which allows sequencing and audio recording, such as Sonar, Project 5, Reason, FL, etc.

Receptor is an instrument, not a sequencer or recorder. It was intentionally designed without the ability to run DAW host software. As an instrument, however, it has a very unique feature: Uniwire. Uniwire is the bridge to your DAW. Using standard Ethernet networking to transport audio and MIDI the Uniwire makes the Receptor appear as a softsynth or effects plugin within SONAR on your main DAW computer. Thus, you buy Receptor as your "hardware" instrument (which runs softsynths) and plug it into your computer DAW system to control it.

ORIGINAL: http://www.museresearch.com/receptor.php
    One instrument... Two rack spaces... Millions of sounds... Infinite possibilities.

That's the Muse Research Receptor™—a unique and versatile musical instrument that takes the best software-based synthesizers and effects processors available, and turns them into real instruments. With the push of a button, Receptor can transform itself from a sampler into a guitar processor; from a drum module into a synthesizer; or from a delicate mastering tool into a screaming drawbar organ.

ORIGINAL: http://www.museresearch.com/uniwire.php?u=overview

UniWire™ allows you to connect one or more Receptors to a computer-based digital audio workstation using only Ethernet cables—no audio or MIDI cables are needed. By instantiating UniWire instrument and effects plugins, your digital audio workstation communicates with Receptor as if it were both a virtual instrument and a virtual effect. This means that, unlike 'old school' external sound and effects modules, Receptor integrates with your digital audio workstation exactly like a locally hosted plugin—but without using your host computer's precious CPU cycles. And the best part of all this? UniWire ships FREE with every Receptor.
    techead
    RE: Anyone Using the Muse Receptor? 2008/02/03 05:08:03 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Nick P

I think if I had 2 grand to invest, I'd buy a Creation Station or a PC from Studio Cat, a good reliable audio/MIDI interface, and just deal with whatever minor issues come up.

Now, if you want an instrument like the Receptor but also a host environment like SONAR/Project5 without having to have separate hardware (Receptor + general computer), then take a look at the offerings from OpenLabs. They have built a custom computer with a customer and optimized version of Microsoft Windows running host DAW software and softsynths all packaged into a music keyboard.

http://www.openlabs.com/
    Nick P
    RE: Anyone Using the Muse Receptor? 2008/02/03 17:44:34 (permalink)
    Great responses. Thanks! I'm not so sure how beneficial this thing would be for me. I definitely play live and would love a module which offers more than "rompling". However I would first need to see how fast this thing switches patches/multis. If there is a delay, then it's pretty much useless, since my gigs usually don't involve a set show order, and there can be patch/multi changes in the middle of songs. They need to happen pretty much instantaneously.

Another thing is that when using the thing in recording, you're still going to be using a computer to record in to, and since you want to keep the signal from the Muse all-digital, you'll want to use their method of interfacing. Thus, if you were recording with a hardware unit such as an MPC5000 (I want one), Roland MV-8800, or other type of hardware recorder, you'd have to send the output of the Muse in analog.

Further, the thing must be programmed with a computer.

So, it's not like getting this will allow you to use soft-synths such as the NI line without a computer. Far from it. It just allows you to do this live, mainly when sending audio via analog outputs is not an issue. Now for some people this must be a Godsend. For me, I'd rather "risk" having a PC on the gig, either small form-factor desktop (i.e Shuttle) or laptop. They're getting lighter, more powerful, more reliable. That takes the advantage away from the Muse.

And of course you can run sequencing/audio software on the PC. Thus, if you're doing a gig which uses backing tracks, you're covered. In order to do that with the Muse, you'd need it and an MPC5000 or MV8800. That's 2 pieces of hardware.

This is probably why Mike McKnight, the premier guy for putting together computer setups for major tours using sequencing and audio tracks is not listed as a Muse user in their artists lists. Nothing against the Muse. Just that he needs the full package.

I see single-space rack-mount audio PCs with super-rugged roadworthy design in the very near future. Combine them with a small LCD monitor and portable wireless keyboard/mouse interface, and you're good to go. Keep the price under $2,000 and most major acts would purchase at least a second as a spare. It looks like they're doing that with the Muse anyway.

Thus, I think the Muse was a great idea a few years ago, when bringing a PC on a gig meant lots of boxes, wires, and unreliability. Laptops were, at the time, too underpowered. But today, a top-line laptop has great power. And a small form-factor PC is most likely very reliably on a gig. So I think the Muse is losing its niche factor a little.

auricle
    RE: Anyone Using the Muse Receptor? 2008/02/04 02:50:35 (permalink)
    Have a look at the connectivity of the Receptor:

http://www.museresearch.com/support.php?r=connectivity

There are ports for mouse/keyboard, USB and a VGA monitor. You don't really need a computer to program it.
    post edited by auricle - 2008/02/04 03:06:41
    Nick P
    RE: Anyone Using the Muse Receptor? 2008/02/04 20:49:23 (permalink)
    Thanks, I didn't know that. That makes a big difference. Pretty cool.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1