Anyone build your own Isolation Booth?

Author
CAW
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 337
2006/06/10 12:39:21 (permalink)

Anyone build your own Isolation Booth?

Have any of you built your own isolation booth and if so, how successful was the project and who's plans did you use. I currently have the DAWBOX plans and am about to get started building one with some augmentation to the plans such as a sound proof window from soundsuckers, a ventilation system and a layer of Auralex sheetblock in the walls. Any tips or suggestions for a comfortable, functional and quiet booth construction would be appreciated.

Great things happen in a vacuum.

http://www.coronaampworks.com

25 Replies Related Threads

Zef
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 46
    RE: Anyone build your own Isolation Booth? 2006/06/10 12:58:57 (permalink)
    Just be sure that its far from the street. cus passing cars. kids with basket balls or car radios. will kill a good take.

Also ventalation. CRITICAL!!!! If the singer cant breath in fresh air, and dies... thats bad. lol.

I had an "indent" in my production room, so I foamed it out, added two fans... [half window fans I got at walmart for $12] then called my brother who is a contractor. he built a wall and a door with a window. It looks great... but, there is a window on the end twords the street. NIGHTMARE!

So now I am hitting walmart, picking up "batting" they toss in quilts I plan to put like at least 8" of it from floor to top. then toss ply wood in front of that, then 3" of convoluted foam over that. Ventalation is still a pain.. but Ill work that out latter. SIngers are a dieme a dozen anyways. if a few die Ill still be ok. KIDDING!

For real... you hsould be good. Never saw your kit. but Ive got good takes with much less. just be sure your far from the street. And if your on the second floor, be above a room that makes little noise. First floor. make sur the second floor isnt a constant party.

Also, sometimes a booth can be a pain to work with. SOmetimes it cna "iso" a bit too much.

But in no way would I ever not want one. Dif progs require dif things.
    All in all you should be cool.

but as always.... its the performance, not the producer, room, or gear. Ive done great with cheap crap, and crap with thte top of the line gear. lol.
    Good luck!
    Forgive the horrible text im in a rush.
    ~Zef
    post edited by Zef - 2006/06/10 13:09:22
    jungfriend
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 746
    RE: Anyone build your own Isolation Booth? 2006/06/10 15:17:05 (permalink)
    If you are a renter like I am and you can't make permanent modifications you need something portable. If you are also cheap (uh...I mean frugal), and not trying to impress customers because it's basically a vanity project, then you can do something like what I did. I bought one of those folding screens at an estate sale, then mounted acoustic foam on both sides. It doesn't really collapse all the way now but closes small enough for easy storage. Then I drape a couple of heavy blankets across two microphone stands (clothespins actually work); this forms the back of the isolation area. I put the mic on an overhead and hang it over the edge of the folding screen which forms the front of the booth. Granted the top is still open to sounds coming in, but my studio is in a second story room facing the backyard and I'm in a fairly quiet area (at least it's quiet in the evening) and this setup reduces the sound floor to a nominal level. It absorbs all the noise in the room, and unless my next door neighbor decides to open/close his garage door then I get clean takes.

Paul

Sonar X2 PE, ADK Core i7 920 3.6ghz 12gb, UAD-2 Quad,  2x20"+2x19" LCDs, Focal CMS 50, POD HD500, Layla 3G, PoCo mkII PCI-e, Tranzport, Edirol M-16DX, Remote SL61, Mackie MCU, NI Kore 2, NI Komplete, NI Maschine, etc.
    Zef
    RE: Anyone build your own Isolation Booth? 2006/06/10 15:54:30 (permalink)
    Just a few things that I was thinking after reading the last post and thinking about this.

Keep in mind Im not all "up" on how the shape of foam messes with the shound. Ive been recoridng music for 12 years... but I dont know everything. If your new to recording, feel free to private mail meif you have an questions. Be more then happy to help. Im nto the best or most wise. But I am a recording addict and its not just something I do for fun. I record for atleast 3 or 4 hours a day...... well. I try to but most days I do.

Somethings to ponder:
    I have found that the smaller the "bumbs" the better looking it is.
    I used to pick up a bunch of "Bed foam" at wallmart. was like $8 or $12 for a twin...

But now I am a HUGE fan of the Queen size stuff at the "target" stores here in south NJ.

Its all ONE "shape" little bumps. Sure.. its the same stuff you lay on your bed. but when recording clients.... you want to look good. Its one thing to have "bed foam" on the wall. but like if its got 7 diffrent "shapes" to the foam. it looks REALLY cheap. With the Target stuff.. it doesnt look so cheap and it does work!

If you must go cheap, check around. Target is my fav at the moment for "bed foam". but you never know. You may find a place thats going under... and you might get a HELL of a deal. Also, if you find foam with "shapes" you like on it...... buy as much of it as you can. You just dont know if this is the last batch they ever make. A store called "clover" used to sell 2" foam for beds, that was NO diffrent from the stuff they sell in music stores today. I still kick myself for not getting more of it.

Also, keep in mind the stuff doesnt stay "bright" over the years. I dont smoke. no smkoe in my production room. Yet, they whent from white..... bright white.... to mid yellow in 3 years. Just some info you may not have knowen of expect.

Why I like "bed foam" from target over the auralex*? [Spel?]

1. Its thick! Its bumbps. but SMALL bumps. so your really getting almost 2" worth in a queen size for around $16 tops. Granted it not "the best" But, come on.... unless your recording a "national act" you dont need the best. If its just you or a local band... "good" or "ok" will be fine.

2. It looks better. People want to walk into a place and "feel" they are in a studio. At least the people Ive recorded. Its like a mind thing. You can have the best gear in the world. but if your set up dont look pro.... people Ive recorded tend to not work so hard. Dont just "thumb tack" the cheap stuff.. be creative with it. Music is art.. make the production room look calming, and artistic.

I like to use "bating" they put in quilts that I get at walmart for like $7 or $8 for a queen size. I never use it as a "final layer" But as an extra level below the "bed foam". I have a nice wood [forget the name] on some 70% of my walls in my production room. I cover the windows and drywall. But, thats jsut me. Its all about what YOU want, and how YOU want it to sound. I think its always best to do things "your own way" after takeing others thoughts into account.

I am by no means a "know it all" and I find many people get flamed by just about anything no matter if they are right or wrong. So dont do all or say, or take it all as fact. Just as advice.

These are all just ideas. I think its AWSOME you have a booth. When people come here and see mine. its a massive shock. Its big. 7 feet+long and like 5+ feet wide or so. all foamed out.

That alone will shock clients. It lets them know your "the real deal" and not kidding around. I prefer people to come in, and not play around. I want them to feel this is their first steps to stardom even if its only a local band with no plans or desire to make it big.

Even if your, your only client. It just puts the person in a mind set. like a football player with all his pads on. Its kinda like a "ok, lets do this thing" type of thing. It puts you in a "zone" if you will.

Like Jungfriend I rent too. But I can build here. One thing that might help you or someone else who reads this post years from now. Hit the local hardware store, but a few 2x3's. Make a few stand up, and have one have one running from the top of one, to the bottem of the other, and thumb tack the foam to it. WOrked for me, for a wile. Not the best... not the worst.

Its not "pro" but its not "that bad" if you foam both sides. The inside, where the singer sings, and around the outside of the makeshift "booth"

Four queen size sheets of foam aprox 2" thick.... $62
    2x3's at home depo aprox $4 each
    Depo will even cut it for you in the store!

You cant use this set up to record a band live..... cus of "bleeding" but for single person tracking...... it aint that bad.

Try it. At worst, your out the money for the 2X3's. Cus the foam.... you can put on your bed... your partners bed and a kids beds. Aperently bed foam is not bad for sleeping on either! Who knew?
    LMAO

take care, good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ~Zef
    Muladhara
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Anyone build your own Isolation Booth? 2006/06/10 17:24:57 (permalink)
    I'm facing a similar nightmare right now. I'm renting and my recording room is in the city with a window facing the street about eight feet away. I get that car passing/doppler effect pretty consistantly. Plus the room has wood floors and tends to reverberate pretty badly.

Of course everything is on a budget so this is my recording/tracking/mixing/everything room, and I'm trying to figure out some sound isolation ideas ghetto style. Might have to try that foam bedding.
    danp2000
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 494
    RE: Anyone build your own Isolation Booth? 2006/06/10 18:49:12 (permalink)
    SE Electronics makes a neat item that can help when you can't build a vocal booth.

Check out this months issue of Sound on Sound for the SE Electronics Reflexion Filter. I plan on purchasing 4 of these to reduce the need for a dedicated Vocal booth.

Dan Proctor
    me@PwPCentral.net
    jungfriend
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 746
    RE: Anyone build your own Isolation Booth? 2006/06/10 19:31:29 (permalink)
    Zef,
    I didn't think of the batting layer beneath the foam. Sounds like a good idea. I did use Auralex tiles but they're grey; I don't think discoloration will be a problem, but you never know. Also I did buy a 4-panel folding screen; three panels would be too small to work with. If I needed to I would get a second screen to expand the size for a drum kit or say a group of background singers, but since I only use mine for one vocalist at a time the size isn't a problem.

Paul

Sonar X2 PE, ADK Core i7 920 3.6ghz 12gb, UAD-2 Quad,  2x20"+2x19" LCDs, Focal CMS 50, POD HD500, Layla 3G, PoCo mkII PCI-e, Tranzport, Edirol M-16DX, Remote SL61, Mackie MCU, NI Kore 2, NI Komplete, NI Maschine, etc.
    CAW
    RE: Anyone build your own Isolation Booth? 2006/06/10 20:56:12 (permalink)
    Lots of good information. Zef, thanks alot buddy. Everyone else too. I own, so I can do whatever I want here. I am thinking about building a 6 X 8 booth or there abouts. I want to be able to put a drummer, or more then one vocalist in there at a time. I've already got a bunch of Auralex and other brand foam of different configurations. I am planning on doing some local bands and I do want to project and air of seriousness when they enter the studio. One thing I am wrestling with is the ventilation system. Has anyone used the Soundsuckers unit or any other brand or homemade unit?:

http://www.soundsuckers.com/vents.htm#vents

I don't want to kill any vocalists or geetar players.
    post edited by CAW - 2006/06/10 21:07:20

Zef
    RE: Anyone build your own Isolation Booth? 2006/06/10 22:50:38 (permalink)
    Hey guys.. no prob. Glad I can help.

With regards to the floor... depending on the size of your floor.. it can get really out of hand in price to rug it. I almost fell dead when I found it would be $500 for a "industrial" rug.. not some fancy thing. the cheastest... was $500 for my room.

WIle a floor with NO rug is pretty good for recoding. its a nightmare if your in a building with others or dont want the reverb.

SO check out the local carpet store. Be honest with them. But dont ask for a rug. just ask for Padding. get at least 1/2" maybe even 1" thick padding for the lenth of your floor if you can. Its now expensive as a rug... but it works. Not as well as a rug. but... it works.

I am the type who walks EVERY Isle of walmart, and every other store looking for things I can buy that can improve my production room. I spent over 2 hours at home depot asking guys there how to insulate walls the cheapest. Not so much for "heat/cold" but for sound supression. They had good tips there. Butthe bill for that here would be over $500. Kinda hard to do when its a rental place.

but for real. hit target. Im sure they have the sheets of bed foam, the same across the country. I like the smaller the lumps, the better. This [to me] means that 1. the small lumps deflect/disrupt more sound. 2. Its not "missing foam" from spaces cut out where they made the lumps. Thus, leaveing room for the sound wave to pass into the wall at a higher density, and bounce back. The thicker the foam THE BETTER... if you want "dead space"

Batting. OMG. Best thing I ever came across. I knew guys that would run out to "good will" and buy as many sheets they could. To me. thats just... bleep'd up. Beware though..... if your a dude.... going into the back of walmart or a crafts store to buy batting.. can be a non-hoot. Many are only back there to knit. Believe when I tell them "I record music, this helps prevent reverb"... they dont believe me. I am sure you can guess what they "really" think of me.

I have a MAJOR prob with ventalation. cept when people who cant sing show up.if they die. I wouldnt mind. so long as im paid for the hour. KIDDING!!!!!!!! For real its so bad that I am now thinking of just hitting home depo. I saw a 5,000 BTU[?] unit for $86. Why not just set that up/on for 3 or 4 min between takes? Heck. the singer has to rest the voice anyways right?

in a perfict world, we all would have central air... Ill check that link and let you know what I think.

I had/have a massive problem with the computer and heat aswell. I was able to find a co that makes VERY tiny AC units. I forget the name of them or their products but Illl search again in a bit.

Just dont ever give up. and think outside the box. Ive seen sheets of foam sell for hundreds.. and got he same lenth and thickness with walmart batting for under $50. I know its notthe best...... but youve got to draw a line somewhere.
    I hope to get back to you on that link in an hour or so.
    ~Seth
    Sid Viscous
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1532
    RE: Anyone build your own Isolation Booth? 2006/06/10 22:51:58 (permalink)
    Like the one in Altered States?
    Zef
    RE: Anyone build your own Isolation Booth? 2006/06/10 22:59:46 (permalink)

Was it just me or did they not mention how many DB those fans run at? Could sound like a damn jet when they run. Also with ALL fans that have ball bearing in them. over time. they become LOUDER as the parts rub. THis takes months/years... but for the $ they are asking. man. Im sure you can do better.

The two things I think is most important is
    1. Getting cool air in
    2. geting hot, deadly air out.

Dont think of this in an only "iso booth" related mindset. remember people all over the world need ventalation systems coal minners for example. Think outside the box, and I think youll get a great deal on something no one would suspect. the client wont care where it came from. Just that it works.

Keep in mind too that anything "recording" or even "music" related is often over priced. As they KNOW we would be willing to pay more. So think of an air system, that filters massive amounts of air quickly, and silently.... the google it. and. ah.. post the best one here. cus I need to find one too! LMAO!

Good luck dude.
    ~Seth
    lawbass
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Anyone build your own Isolation Booth? 2006/06/10 23:13:11 (permalink)
    Yes, I built a 7 X 8 iso booth a couple of years ago, and took care of the air issue by buying a portable AC unit (you can get them this time of year at Home Depot, Walmart, Best Buy, or Fry's for 300-400) generally following the ventilation box discussed on Auralex's site, it pushes cool air in, and suctions hot air out, which I routed into a return vent of my main upstairs AC, works like a charm.
    Zef
    RE: Anyone build your own Isolation Booth? 2006/06/10 23:13:12 (permalink)

And their prices are NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dude, just go out to home depo. talk to someone who works there and ask about it. Say you need.. a 4x4 fllor with 8 ft walls. Put 1" of floor padding on the floor.... some 2" convo bed foam on the walls and 2" convo bed foam on the roof, with a small cut out for a "attac" fan. you know the kind they sell at home depo that clears out an entire attaic in under 4 min.

Total cost would be under $300 TOPS and Depo would cut the wood for you. 50 cents each cut after the first.

My god. what they want for price is nuts. 2 grand for that... it better have LEAD walls, come with a hot chick and free beer for a year.

Or better yet...... go to moose fri
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Auralex-SheetBlok-Sound-Barrier-?sku=422611

They now allow you to make payments on ANY order $250 if you call and place the order over the phone. 3 payments one a month. no intrest. If the order is over 1 grand its five payments.

use that stuff to coat the walls of your ISO. .. still havnt worked out the air flow yet. but at least this way you wont have to hear the singing scream about how they cant breath........ LMAO.
    ~Seth
    Zef
    RE: Anyone build your own Isolation Booth? 2006/06/10 23:15:42 (permalink)
    the "po" has a 5,000 BTU on sale TODAY!!!
    [in NJ] for $98 walmart is often just as cheap.

May as I ask what you do withthe "run off water"? or what you do to prent it from hitting the floor?
    Zef
    RE: Anyone build your own Isolation Booth? 2006/06/10 23:32:53 (permalink)
    I'm facing a similar nightmare right now. I'm renting and my recording room is in the city with a window facing the street about eight feet away. I get that car passing/doppler effect pretty consistantly. Plus the room has wood floors and tends to reverberate pretty badly.

I UNDERSTAND. forgive me if I replied before. im on oxycodone from an operation I just had. and a beer assulted me as I went tot he fridge to get a drink of ice tea. I had to drink it. to defend myslef! LMAO

Ive got hese kids who play basket ball ALL nice long in front of my ISO. I have found two ways to deal with this.

Aim 100W PA speakers out the window. And BLAST gregorian chant and or therion an dhope they leave.

I used to have a wall up in front of the window. I had it there when I built the booth. But I wanted to put the AC in the window. and it KILLED the wal when I cut a hole in it for the AC unit.

Now Im thining 2 things. Rebuild the wall. "batting" 3" thick, ply wood [cus its thin, you dont want to lose space] "sound stop" or some sort of "sound off" they sell at home "po" its 1/2" thick. then A 1/2" layer of drywall..... then 2" of convo bed foam from target.

Its not a cure. But off the top of my head, id say it killed a good 80% of the signal. NOthing I couldnt edit out later with a gate wile downing mixdowns. Keep in mind too that its not just the "front wall" the sound comes in. It comes in the roof, floor, and all other walls. You cant just treat the one wall and expect it all to go away.

Another thing I thought of, was to get a sheet of plywood cut down to TIGHTLY fit inside the window frame..... then add as much "batting" as I could ["HIGH LOFT" IS A MUST!] Smash the batting up on the window, then puch that stuff in there till the edge of the window ledge is flush with the ply wood. you want this to be TIGHT!

Use glue if you can, as nails can carry vibrations, thats bad for all of us. Ever DB we cut, the better right? Then add the walls I mentioned above... or not. if yu find that works. Kinda like a "batting sandwitch" if you will.

For real, I am SO glad I can help some of you. hopefully ALL. Thanks as well for honestly lending me your ears. I mean how many people can I have this type of conversation with right?

Feel free to coment or ask for more ideas.
    ~Seth
    Guitarpima
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4125
    RE: Anyone build your own Isolation Booth? 2006/06/11 01:13:42 (permalink)
    Kudos to the guy who made a joke about ventalation so your singer does not die. LOL. going to build one and since he typed that, I know a way around the singer dying on me. No plans, just going to build it. going to put a muffler in the wall. I will use dryer vent hose and snake ut up and down in the wall. one for intake and one for exaust. The muffler reference is a car muffler. If done properly you should not hear a fan connected to the intake so air moves through the booth. I know it sounds silly but if I could see, I would have been a carpenter as well as a musician.

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
    Zef
    RE: Anyone build your own Isolation Booth? 2006/06/11 02:35:14 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Guitarpima
    Kudos to the guy who made a joke about ventalation so your singer does not die. LOL.

I like the way you think! have any ohter Ideas? lol
    ~Zef
    CAW
    RE: Anyone build your own Isolation Booth? 2006/06/11 11:26:20 (permalink)
    Ok, I've done a little more research and since my booth will be inside my studio which is already air conditioned I've decided to build and external baffled circulation system which will only circulate air from and to the studio space and the booth. I found a very quiet ventilation fan (0.3 sones) but it does move 70 cfm which is a bit too much for the space and would cause air noise. If I can't find a similar model with about 25cfm I'll have to make a dampered bypass to reduce the airflow through the booth. This should do it:

http://www.designerhardware.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=PAN%2DFV%2D07VQ2&Show=ExtInfo

edit: I found a 50cfm with less than 0.3 sones

http://www.westsidewholesale.com/index.cgi?pid=859&CATEGORY=634&gclid=CJTPr-3IvoUCFQMmHgodgFLqug

post edited by CAW - 2006/06/11 11:43:19

Zef
    RE: Anyone build your own Isolation Booth? 2006/06/11 21:59:13 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: CAW
    http://www.designerhardware.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=PAN%2DFV%2D07VQ2&Show=ExtInfo

edit: I found a 50cfm with less than 0.3 sones

http://www.westsidewholesale.com/index.cgi?pid=859&CATEGORY=634&gclid=CJTPr-3IvoUCFQMmHgodgFLqug

I am VERY impressed with them... but one thing remains. What is the DB levle of these things. It kinda worries me that they dont show them.... at least wile I glanced over the page. I have found over years that when dealing with audio stufff... if the unit being silent is a "sell point" then they have tat listed in big bold letters somewhere.

CAW, great find!

One thing on the mind now though is... I could get an AC unit cheaper then those two. Sure they are smaller, and Id hope not as loud as an AC unit. But an AC unit makes cool air, wile these just "move" air.

I am honestly going try and spend the next two or three hours looking for a wicked cool soloutoin for ALL of us..... no promises. But I hope.....
    ~Seth
    Zef
    RE: Anyone build your own Isolation Booth? 2006/06/12 03:17:02 (permalink)
    I have done a TON of searching on the net searching for the "best" way to cool the booth. about 3 hours worth. Everything from AC units mounted on small boats... to wine racks that I could rip the "cooler" out of and install in the booth... the list is endless. lol.

Here is what Ive come up with.
    1. I dont want any fans anymore. At least as the "main" cooling system. I **may** use one either on the roof or just above the door like I have now, in efort to get air movinout between takes, but beyound that, I dont want any fans in/near there.

Each fan, means a new hole in the walls of the booth. That cuts down on its sound stoping effectiveness. Plus, some fan parts can rattle or shake and MAKE noise even when off.

2. I am going AC all the way. But I dont/didnt want a "gheto" look. I wanted it to look nice, work great, and be cheap. SO that ruled out getting a 5,000 BTU unit from walmart for $89.

A thing with A/C units to think about. 1 person in an Iso booth will need atleast a 2,000 BTU per hour AC unit to keep the room cool.

I didnt want to go overkill and spend $600 on a portable A/C unit. SO I spent most of my time looking for a 2k to 3k A/C unit. My goodness you wouldnt believe how much of a hoot that was not to do. lol.

I did find one co, here in NJ that makes ALL sorts of small A/C units. From 1k BTU to I think even up to 10K BTU. All small in size. They dont list prices online but I emailed them to find out the prices of the ones im looking at.
    Heres the link:

http://www.kooltronic.com/ac/ac.htm

Good luck
    ~Zef
    CAW
    RE: Anyone build your own Isolation Booth? 2006/06/13 23:39:51 (permalink)
    To convert Sones to Decibels audio:

dBA = 33.2 Log10 (sones) + 28, Accuracy +/- 2dBA

therefore, 0.3 sones ~ 23.5 to 23 DBA:

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculatorSonephon.htm

post edited by CAW - 2006/06/13 23:53:35

CAW
    RE: Anyone build your own Isolation Booth? 2006/06/14 00:02:14 (permalink)
    By the way Zef, Recording magazine did an article on studio A/C in their September 2005 issue. They addressed an entire studio not just a booth, but the manufacturer of the A/C unit they used was Soleus Air and the model they used was a 12,000 btu unit KFR 12GW. It was a split system with the blower coming in at 42 DB. Here's a link to their industrial models which include the one mentioned:

http://www.soleusair.com/Industrial/index.htm

Barry

natsway
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Anyone build your own Isolation Booth? 2007/11/10 10:37:59 (permalink)
    hey caw, have you actually built the recording booth? Were the plans easy too follow?
    Dave Modisette
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11050
    RE: Anyone build your own Isolation Booth? 2007/11/10 10:57:53 (permalink)
    Yes I did. I used all the recommended techniques that I gathered via the Internet. You can visit my site to see my project studio as well as plans that I formulated before actually banging nails into wood. The isobooth is floating on three inches of rock wool.

I set aside money for a separated AC unit for the studio. I tried running off the home system in my first studio so I knew that I wanted a dedicated system for this one. Comfort is everything. I'll take that over isolation.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    SilkTone
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1566
    RE: Anyone build your own Isolation Booth? 2007/11/10 13:59:38 (permalink)
    I also built my own iso booth a while ago. Mine is pretty small, about 3x5x7 feet. I also struggled with the air issue, but finally solved it by buying one of those cheap ($100) window mounted AC units at Home Depot. I mounted it in my garage, made two holes in my garage wall, snaked two flexible ducts through it and build shrouds around the intake and exhaust vents of cold air circuit of the AC unit. I also added an additional in-line duct fan to boost air flow, as these units are not designed to push air along ducts.

On top of the booth itself, I built a "muffler box". Basically, this is a heavy 4'x2'x6" box built out of sheetrock. It has two compartments running along the length. Each compartment has pieces of sheetrock sections that causes the air to "snake" through it until it reaches the hole that is made in the bottom at the other end. These holes are connected with matching holes on the top of the booth. I then placed one of those foam exercise pads (with two matching holes) on top of the booth and put the muffler box on top of that. The inlet and outlet ducts feed into the other end of the muffler box.

One of the biggest problems with this method is that these window mounted AC units have built-in controls, and you need to move the thermostat to the booth itself. I solved this by getting a regular wall mounted thermostat, ripping out the controls of the AC unit and wiring in the remoted thermostat. This involves an external 12V DC power supply, additional relays etc etc so some people might not be comfortable doing this. But it worked out great in my case.

While in the booth, it is almost impossible to tell when the ac unit is on or off. There is just a faint rumble of air flowing. By switching in the mic pre-'s low freq filter, I can effectively cut out just about all of that rumble.

SilkTone
    The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: Anyone build your own Isolation Booth? 2007/11/10 16:19:28 (permalink)
    Sound Studio Construction on a Budget is a great book... you should get a copy.

edit spelling
    post edited by mike_mccue - 2007/11/10 16:31:03
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1