Anyone done the QX6700 to Q9550 upgrade?

Author
space_cowboy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9813
2009/02/20 10:20:06 (permalink)

Anyone done the QX6700 to Q9550 upgrade?

Looking at the option of upgrading the processor on my MB versus changing processors. Cheap and fast vs a whole new system. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!

14 Replies Related Threads

dcastle
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2623
    RE: Anyone done the QX6700 to Q9550 upgrade? 2009/02/20 10:24:49 (permalink)
    Greetings Willy,

I haven't done that particular upgrade, but I have upgraded CPUs before — if you motherboard is compatible with both, then no problems.

Recently, I upgraded my motherboard/CPU/DRAM all in one simple process by purchasing a complete kit from http://www.pcboost.com — best $360 I ever spent — when I rebooted, XP asked for new drivers, rebooted again, and "Shazam!," I am running on a quad-core 2.6GHz 8GB beast.

Regards,
    David

ASUS M3A78 AMD 9950 Quad 2.6G 8GB
    Shure • Rhode • Audio-Technica • Allen&Heath GL2200-24
    MOTU 24i • Presonus Firepod • E-MU 1212m • Zoom H2
    SONAR 2XL-8PE • Sound Forge 1-9 • Audacity 0.1-1.3
    Mididreamer
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 422
    RE: Anyone done the QX6700 to Q9550 upgrade? 2009/02/20 10:51:51 (permalink)
    Went from e6600 to q9550 gwhich gave a ood improvement. Luckely my motherboard Asus PW64 could handle the new CPU. Why don't go for the Intel i7? Also did upgrade my memory! The harddisk is now the slowest according to the Vista index

My music: https://soundcloud.com/midimine
    Sonar, Reason, Live, Project5, Fruityloops, Cubase / maschine 2/ Komplete /Intel i7 3770/ Asus Maximus V /Oxygen 8 V2/ Oxygen 61/ Novation Zero SL /Windows 10 / 64 

Komplete Audio 6
    space_cowboy
    RE: Anyone done the QX6700 to Q9550 upgrade? 2009/02/20 10:53:45 (permalink)
    I am seriously consideing the upgrade to the i7. $$$ and the danged time to reinstall everything from scratch (I have too much stuff) is the limiting factor.

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    ChristopherM
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1921
    RE: Anyone done the QX6700 to Q9550 upgrade? 2009/02/20 11:04:54 (permalink)
    the danged time to reinstall everything from scratch
    You don't necessarily need to start again if you are swapping mb cpu and/or ram, providing you diasble or uninstall all old-hardware-specific drivers before surgery. The new hardware will p&p itself or Windows will ask for new drivers, which you can then install. The $$$ I can't help you with, although maybe Obama can.
    space_cowboy
    RE: Anyone done the QX6700 to Q9550 upgrade? 2009/02/20 11:09:53 (permalink)
    I think if I change out the MoBo, I have to do a reinstall. I am pretty sure that there are issues in the registry that are MoBo specific, but I could be wrong. Last time I did a Pent D to Core2Quad upgrade I tried to use my old system disks - no go. BSODs and all kinds of issues. When I did the reinstall, all of that went away.

B-Ho is not helping me. He is holding me hostage. He helps those who fall below the halfway mark in income at the expense of those above. He is also hurting my kids and grandkids.

But I do get $16 more a month. That will almost pay for a 12 pack of Corona.

jcschild
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3409
    RE: Anyone done the QX6700 to Q9550 upgrade? 2009/02/20 11:25:31 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ChristopherM

the danged time to reinstall everything from scratch
    You don't necessarily need to start again if you are swapping mb cpu and/or ram, providing you diasble or uninstall all old-hardware-specific drivers before surgery. The new hardware will p&p itself or Windows will ask for new drivers, which you can then install. The $$$ I can't help you with, although maybe Obama can.

ah very very very bad idea... the Core i7 is completely different than say going from 965 to P45. that would work with that but still not recommended.

FYI i tried this with my HTPC (would never try it with a pro box) and it did not work quite right. i ended up doing a reinstall

Scott
    ADK

Scott
    ADK
    Home of the Kentucky Fried DAW!
    ChristopherM
    RE: Anyone done the QX6700 to Q9550 upgrade? 2009/02/21 03:24:03 (permalink)

ah very very very bad idea... the Core i7 is completely different than say going from 965 to P45.
    Sorry - don't agree. From the OS's point-of-view, the cpu and all of the devices on it (i.e. chipset and on-board peripherals, like disk controllers, networking devices, etc.) are all seen as discrete plug&play items. The fact that you change a lot of them at once when you do a mobo + cpu swap doesn't really bother the OS - it just gets on and p&p's them one-by-one. The secret, though, is to disable all of the old devices on the old mobo in the OS and to reboot it before you take the PC apart. This entails forcing the OS to use its basic "vanilla" drivers for any essential stuff and simply disabling the rest. This all sounds more complicated than it is in practice, as a scan through device manager allows you to see most of what is needed.

Once the PC is running vanilla, shut it down, swap the hardware, and bring it up again. The OS will p&p basic vanilla drivers for the new hardware, after which you can install all necessary hardware-optimised stuff.

Certainly, there will still be registry entries for the old hardware, but these are dormant as long as the old hardware is not present. If this really bugs you, you can clean up the registry. Being superstitious, I have tended to do this, but there is no valid reason otherwise for doing it.

It is a lot quicker and much less tedious than re-installing from scratch and having to go through the mind-bending process of installing all apps, recreating all set-ups, etc. etc. Probably two hours versus two days.

And (although I have full confidence in this approach) if it were to fail, then you would be no worse off than before, as you would then just need to start an OS re-install.
    Lanceindastudio
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4604
    RE: Anyone done the QX6700 to Q9550 upgrade? 2009/02/21 03:28:29 (permalink)
    Ive done the motherboard transfer three times successfully by deleting the ide drivers and anything to do with motherboard and graphics drivers.

You just have to try ti and hope, but MAKE SURE you back things up.

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
    i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
    Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
    Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
    Presonus Eureka
    Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
    Litewave
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 138
    RE: Anyone done the QX6700 to Q9550 upgrade? 2009/02/21 05:48:30 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: space_cowboy

Looking at the option of upgrading the processor on my MB versus changing processors. Cheap and fast vs a whole new system. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Better look at FSB speed between the 9550 and the 6600. No sense in swapping out if your existing mobo cant match the speed. Also, if you are upgrading, look at the AMD phenom , it works great here and is/was about a hundred bucks less than the intel. (at time of build)

Good Luck !

Sincerely,
    Litewave

AMD 9950 Quad, Asus M3a78-T, 8gb G-Skill, 630 watt pwr, Vista Ult 64, 2 WD RE 500gb internal, 2WD 500GB MyBook EXT, Axiom 49, Cubase5.5, Sonar X1 PE, Profire 2626, Komplete 5, BFD2, Groove Agent 3.x Omnisphere
    24 " LCD and 22 " LC
    Lanceindastudio
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4604
    RE: Anyone done the QX6700 to Q9550 upgrade? 2009/02/21 06:21:48 (permalink)
    The OP has QX6700 not Q6600 but yeah have to check if the mb supports the fsb of the chip you will upgrade to!
    post edited by Lanceindastudio - 2009/02/21 06:22:01

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
    i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
    Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
    Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
    Presonus Eureka
    Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
    jcschild
    RE: Anyone done the QX6700 to Q9550 upgrade? 2009/02/21 13:52:28 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ChristopherM

ah very very very bad idea... the Core i7 is completely different than say going from 965 to P45.
    Sorry - don't agree. From the OS's point-of-view, the cpu and all of the devices on it (i.e. chipset and on-board peripherals, like disk controllers, networking devices, etc.) are all seen as discrete plug&play items. The fact that you change a lot of them at once when you do a mobo + cpu swap doesn't really bother the OS - it just gets on and p&p's them one-by-one. The secret, though, is to disable all of the old devices on the old mobo in the OS and to reboot it before you take the PC apart. This entails forcing the OS to use its basic "vanilla" drivers for any essential stuff and simply disabling the rest. This all sounds more complicated than it is in practice, as a scan through device manager allows you to see most of what is needed.

Once the PC is running vanilla, shut it down, swap the hardware, and bring it up again. The OS will p&p basic vanilla drivers for the new hardware, after which you can install all necessary hardware-optimised stuff.

Certainly, there will still be registry entries for the old hardware, but these are dormant as long as the old hardware is not present. If this really bugs you, you can clean up the registry. Being superstitious, I have tended to do this, but there is no valid reason otherwise for doing it.

It is a lot quicker and much less tedious than re-installing from scratch and having to go through the mind-bending process of installing all apps, recreating all set-ups, etc. etc. Probably two hours versus two days.

And (although I have full confidence in this approach) if it were to fail, then you would be no worse off than before, as you would then just need to start an OS re-install.

you are going to debate a system builder on this?
    as well as someone who tried it? and yes i am full aware HOW to try this.

as i said from 965 to P45 should not be an issue to a core i7 it is.

lastly this recommendation is at best only good for hobbiest who can afford down time.
    NOT for anyone who makes money with their DAW.

Scott
    ADK
    ChristopherM
    RE: Anyone done the QX6700 to Q9550 upgrade? 2009/02/22 03:14:38 (permalink)

you are going to debate a system builder on this?
    as well as someone who tried it?

Happy to debate ('cos that's what forums are for), although I find it unconvincing when someone throws their weighty credentials around, rather than presenting any sound technical or economical arguments. If you approach the swap as I described, it is technically sound and not at all risky. There is no fundamental difference for the OS in swapping to an i7 - it is "just another cpu". And the economics of it are clear - it takes only a short time to prep the existing OS to try the "hot swap" and that's all you lose if it doesn't work. (But why should it not work? There is no great mystery about the OS and its relation to the hardware. It's not black magic, although I agree that it sometimes seems that way).

As someone who has tried it, I am in no doubt that this is an efficient and effective approach. Others present similar experiences.

What are you suggesting are the specific reasons for not doing it? ... or is that a system builder's trade secret?

jcschild
    RE: Anyone done the QX6700 to Q9550 upgrade? 2009/02/22 16:38:42 (permalink)
    and i wont bother wasting my time
    suffice it say the differences in architecture alone make it an issue.
    there is no northbridge/on die memory controller jusdt to name a few

with previous gens everything was the same

Scott
    ADK
    ChristopherM
    RE: Anyone done the QX6700 to Q9550 upgrade? 2009/02/23 03:12:44 (permalink)
    and i wont bother wasting my time
    So why do you participate in this (or any) forum?
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1