Anyone experienced instability with the ARC2 vst?

Author
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
2014/07/04 00:36:25 (permalink)

Anyone experienced instability with the ARC2 vst?

I had a project that was crashing every time it got to the end of a loop, and after some detective work the problem seemed to be caused by having the ARC2 plugin turned on. As soon as I turned it off, the problem went away. Hasn't happened in any other project yet but it does worry me a bit. Just wondered if anyone else had seen anything like it. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!

10 Replies Related Threads

wizard71
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 836
    Re: Anyone experienced instability with the ARC2 vst? 2014/07/04 05:41:47 (permalink)
    I've just recently installed ARC2 on my new PC along with quite a few other plugins. I am now having an issue with sonar crashing whenever I load channel tools into a track and select a preset. I will check on this when i get home.

Bibs

http://www.youtube.com/SpaceTimeAces
    https://soundcloud.com/space-time-aces
    Sonar Platinum - Win 8.1 x64 - Haswell 4770k - ASrock Z87 pro3 - 32gb ram - Fractal design R4 case - 3x HDD 1 USB 2.0 external 1x cr M4 ssd for samples - Octa-capture - Sontronics Aria - Sontronics STC-1s - BX8 monitors - ARC 2 system - Kawai CA63 piano - Kawai MP6 Stage piano - Fender custom Telecaster FMT - Yamaha LL6 - Fender P bass

DeeringAmps
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2614
    Re: Anyone experienced instability with the ARC2 vst? 2014/07/04 08:42:06 (permalink)
    No issues here

T

Tom Deering
    Tascam FW-1884 User Resources Page
    Firewire "Legacy" Tutorial, Service Manual, Schematic, and Service Bulletins

Win10x64
    StudioCat Pro Studio Coffee Lake 8086k 32gb RAM

RME UFX (Audio)
    Tascam FW-1884 (Control) in Win 10x64 Pro
    Phonic
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 291
    Re: Anyone experienced instability with the ARC2 vst? 2014/07/04 11:42:45 (permalink)
    Its been rock solid here.

i7 4770k @ 3.5 Ghz 24
    GB DDR 3
    Windows 7 64 bit
    Sonar Platinum Foxboro 64 bit
    MOTU 828 MK3
    UAD-2 Quad 
    batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re: Anyone experienced instability with the ARC2 vst? 2014/07/04 11:52:52 (permalink)
    rock solid here as well.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

SvenArne
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2719
    Re: Anyone experienced instability with the ARC2 vst? 2014/07/04 14:39:48 (permalink)
    I had a problem after some seemingly unrelated hardware upgrades after which all projects containing ARC 2 would crash upon loading. Removing the ARC plugin and reinstalling fixed it and I've had no problems since.

gustabo
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2591
    Re: Anyone experienced instability with the ARC2 vst? 2014/07/04 15:19:50 (permalink)
    Never had an issue...

Cakewalk by Bandlab - Win10 Pro x64 - StudioCat Platinum Studio DAW - 32 GB Ram - MOTU UltraLite-mk3
    M-Audio Keystation 88ES - Akai MPD26 (hot-rodded) - Alesis DM10 - a few guitars, a few amps
    Novation Launch Control - Korg nanoKONTROL2 - PreSonus FaderPort - DAW Remote HD on iPad
    Adam A7X - Behritone C50A
    PreSonus Monitor Station v2 (controlling the mons)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/sonarusergroup/

DPete
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 27
    Re: Anyone experienced instability with the ARC2 vst? 2014/07/05 00:39:24 (permalink)
    Interesting that you would have this happen at the end of a loop, sharke. Last night I was looping a section and experienced dropouts just before the end of the loop. I thought it was due to the heavy processing needed for that project. I usually set my latency at 1024 samples for mixing/mastering and I never had dropouts, until now.
    I went back to the project tonight after reading your OP and experienced the same dropouts. It stops every time just before the end of the loop and will not repeat. I turned off ARC2 and still had dropouts. I turned off Ozone5 and the dropouts continued. I turned off all plugs/effects. More dropouts. But no issues when not using loops.
    Then I went to another project. No problems with dropouts in loops. Then another project, and another. Still no dropouts. So, in my case, I think it's the project, not ARC2. If I find a correlation with the dropouts, I'll post again. Other than this single issue with the one project, my current setup with X3 has been very stable.

DPete

Sonar Platinum / Win10 Pro / RME Fireface UFX / RME Octamic II / Focal CMS65 / PCR-800 / ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 / Intel Core i7-4790 / 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws
    sharke
    • Total Posts : 13933
    Re: Anyone experienced instability with the ARC2 vst? 2014/07/05 00:47:39 (permalink)
    DPete
    Interesting that you would have this happen at the end of a loop, sharke. Last night I was looping a section and experienced dropouts just before the end of the loop. I thought it was due to the heavy processing needed for that project. I usually set my latency at 1024 samples for mixing/mastering and I never had dropouts, until now.
    I went back to the project tonight after reading your OP and experienced the same dropouts. It stops every time just before the end of the loop and will not repeat. I turned off ARC2 and still had dropouts. I turned off Ozone5 and the dropouts continued. I turned off all plugs/effects. More dropouts. But no issues when not using loops.
    Then I went to another project. No problems with dropouts in loops. Then another project, and another. Still no dropouts. So, in my case, I think it's the project, not ARC2. If I find a correlation with the dropouts, I'll post again. Other than this single issue with the one project, my current setup with X3 has been very stable.

That sounds like exactly what's happening at my end - playback stops at the end of the loop and then it hangs. But in my case disabling ARC made the problem go away. I tried re-enabling it a few times and every time the same thing - a hang. I've had other projects with ARC that have had no such problem however, so it sounds like one of those "perfect storm" combinations of things which includes ARC. Do you have any other IK Multimedia plugs in the project in question? 

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    DPete
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 27
    Re: Anyone experienced instability with the ARC2 vst? 2014/07/05 16:56:47 (permalink)
    ARC2 is my only IK plug.
    I discovered something interesting today. I made a copy of the problem project. Same dropouts on the loop. Then I started deleting stuff from the copied project until the dropouts went away. I deleted some unused drum tracks from previous recording sessions. That brought my track count down from 42 to 27. Problem resolved! Went back to the original project and archived the unused drum tracks (never know when I might need them!). Problem resolved there too. Deleted copied project and I'm good to go. Lessen learned. Archive unused tracks.
    So, my issue seemed to be CPU related. That doesn't help your ARC problem, but ARC was definitely not the issue with me. btw, ARC has given my low end new life with my recordings. Bass traps and other sound treatment could only do so much in my studio.

DPete

Sonar Platinum / Win10 Pro / RME Fireface UFX / RME Octamic II / Focal CMS65 / PCR-800 / ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 / Intel Core i7-4790 / 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws
    Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re: Anyone experienced instability with the ARC2 vst? 2014/07/08 15:42:54 (permalink)
    Yeah I've had a few crashes here and there. Sharke. One I reported to the bakers (which we chalked up to being an older version of ARC 1) and the other anomalies I experience only seem to happen in Sonar X3 x64.

Nothing ever gets me while working on a project though, thank God. My issues come after an export. I've tried the exports with ARC both turned off and left on (though the bus it's on is always not in use) and every 30-40 exports, I'll get an app crash AFTER the export is done. It's never ruined anything for me though thankfully. I wish I could come up with a recipe for it, but it's just one of those "every once in a while" things and it's NEVER happened while using Sonar x86. So that makes me wonder a bit. I also don't use ARC 2 which *may* have something to do with your issue.

I don't use the loop thing often but when I do, I've never experienced any drop-outs or inconsistencies. I'll keep an eye out for this and will try a few things with ARC 2 to see if it brings on any crashes.

-Danny

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1