Anyone here tried Garageband?

Author
Amateurmuso
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 59
2005/01/13 07:40:39 (permalink)

Anyone here tried Garageband?

Just wanted to hear peoples comparison of Garageband with Soundclick.

13 Replies Related Threads

MofineStudios
    • Total Posts : 85
    RE: Anyone here tried Garageband? 2005/01/13 07:42:11 (permalink)
    Garageband costs money,soundclick is free.

steve
    Amateurmuso
    RE: Anyone here tried Garageband? 2005/01/13 08:00:07 (permalink)
    It only costs money if you open an account to sell CDs etc.
    You just have to do some work reviewing other songs to upload, it's still free though.
    pilfa
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 410
    RE: Anyone here tried Garageband? 2005/01/13 08:23:53 (permalink)
    this was mentioned in another thread but i found on that site... if you say to someone... the drums sounded poor on this song. Rather than the poster saying ok how do we fix the drums they usually come back and slag you and your opinion of. Use sound click!!
    Seems a real childish place for people that cant take any critism.. In my experience anyway
    rossipsu1
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1030
    RE: Anyone here tried Garageband? 2005/01/13 08:27:57 (permalink)
    Garageband is a great tool to get some feedback. Yes, you need to keep thick skinned and be able to filter through the flame reviews, but overall it can give you a good idea of how well your stuff reaches people. GB does not cost money unless you want to sell CD's or want your music to get reviews WITHOUT your reviewing anyone elses.

Soundclick is just like the old MP3.com and really is just a hosting site. GB exists for the primary reason of getting your music a set # of plays with a set # of reviews. The two are not very comparable, IMO.
    Amateurmuso
    RE: Anyone here tried Garageband? 2005/01/13 08:33:49 (permalink)
    Soundclick just needs to give the occasional personal opinion on peoples songs ie.. it's a bit too anonymous and it needs to offer the opportunity to sell CDs but apart from that it's a lot more 'peaceful' a website than Garageband
    mlockett
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2099
    RE: Anyone here tried Garageband? 2005/01/13 12:36:53 (permalink)
    There was a recent thread in the CH on worst garageband reviews... you might find interesting. While I've done garageband, the reviews were of limited value. People would say it sucked or they loved it, but very little constructive feedback. GB also uses Real only (no WMP). If I want to host stuff and have Cakewalk folks listen, I go to soundclick; next time I get a song well polished, I may put it on GB.
    danhazer
    • Total Posts : 2053
    RE: Anyone here tried Garageband? 2005/01/13 12:39:13 (permalink)
    For me GB was a colossal waste of my time. My advice; don't.

Dan Monaghan
    wrench45us
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4991
    RE: Anyone here tried Garageband? 2005/01/13 13:17:19 (permalink)
    fwiw,

almost all the folk on the P5 forum that don't have personal web sites hosting their music are using soundclick

may have just been a ball that started rolling.

once the initial self-promotion fades the soundclick charts do give some indication if a tune has 'legs'
    but it's also very much a machine that feeds on a ready supply of new material

if i want constructive criticism as a P5 user i post on that forum, here and at kvr

granted this is all for electronica, others mileage may vary

Amateurmuso
    RE: Anyone here tried Garageband? 2005/01/14 10:13:14 (permalink)
    Pilfa,
    From my experiences with GB it's hard not to agree with your opinion, they are way too 'in your face' for my liking and that goes for not only songs that you put up there but reviews that you do of other peoples songs.
    If you don't say exactly what they want about their songs ie..mindread they spit the dummy.
    So from my point of view Soundclick is a breath of freshair, although it dosen't have personal reviews/feedback and has a less 'sexy' looking webpage this is more than compensated by the speed with which your songs are charted/ranked, (a lot quicker than GB) time saved in not having to do reviews and less stress due to no aggresive 'hatemail'

BTW What's kvr and is P5 anything to do with Sonar?
    Also REAL means real player I presume but what's WMP?
    < Message edited by Amateurmuso -- 1/14/2005 10:24:04 AM >
    mlockett
    • Total Posts : 2099
    RE: Anyone here tried Garageband? 2005/01/14 11:24:52 (permalink)
    Also REAL means real player I presume but what's WMP?

Windows Media Player

I have WMP on all my Windows-based machines (work and home), but not Real. In my experience, Real is prompting me to upgrade, get the newest, etc. way to much for my taste.
    < Message edited by mlockett -- 1/14/2005 11:34:08 AM >
    NTX
    • Total Posts : 69
    RE: Anyone here tried Garageband? 2005/01/14 12:05:49 (permalink)
    Just wanted to hear peoples comparison of Garageband with Soundclick.

I have done both. Soundclick is just a place to host you songs. For the most part no one will go there to listen to your stuff unless you promote your Soundclick page. By posting here for example. Your page activity and downloads will determine your song ranking but again that has everything to do with your own promotion. A popular band that gigs and heavily promotes their soundclick site will have an obvious advantage over a single artist with limited exposure.

Garageband is different. Your songs will go through a blind review cycle. If you review other peoples songs, your songs will go through the process faster, which seems to help their ranking. It is a good place to get a wide range of feedback. Some of the reviews will be garbage but you may be surprised at the quality of some of the reviews.

I would advise you not to get your heart set on winning at garageband. It is a real crapshoot but to a large extent the better material rises to the top. I have gotten a real rush when some of my tracks have moved up to higher positions on the charts there because it is not easy for a track to do that.

One disadvantage of garageband is that once your track gets posted you cannot update the track, so it is a good idea to polish it up first.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you can post on both soundclick and garageband.

More Balls = Less Brains

NTX
    http://www.soundclick.com/ntx
    bdfutch
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 340
    RE: Anyone here tried Garageband? 2005/01/14 12:27:17 (permalink)
    I have two songs on GB that are in the contests. Not sure whether I'll see any benefit from putting them in the contest or not. They are doing quite well in their genre and have had good reviews and a few where you could tell the reviewer new very little about music. The difference between the two, obviously, is that on Soundclick reviewing and getting reviewed is optional on GB, your song will either get reviewed or you'll review. On Soundclick, I like the website setup, I pay the $10/mo and get that stats so I can see overall response to my songs. My only problem is that I get practically no response on the Soundclick community forums so I stick with the Cakewalk, plus there's some really cool musicians on this forum.
    Amateurmuso
    RE: Anyone here tried Garageband? 2005/01/15 05:22:59 (permalink)
    I certainly won't miss the slagging off that goes on at GB as well as the time it takes in writing reviews to gain the right to upload and the time it takes to get your own song reviewed. The speed of chart rating and freedom to upload anytime were amazing after the hassles at GB.
    Would anyone hazard a guess at which (GB,Soundclick or others) is a better chance for selling CDs?
    < Message edited by Amateurmuso -- 1/15/2005 5:36:35 AM >
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1