Anyone mixing in 5.1 surround?

Author
jimmyrage
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 238
2010/11/14 07:06:35 (permalink)

Anyone mixing in 5.1 surround?

Just got a new 5.1 system and after listening to a Tom Petty live concert ( which sounded incredible )  I decided to check out a song I had mixed on a pair of Event 20/20's.  I was a bit disappointed with the results. It sounded fine on the old house two channel system.  I guess my question now is, are there now two standards of mixing ?  One for regular stereo and one for surround systems?  And if there are,  I guess there are also mixing / mastering programs to deal with panning issues and such?

6 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Anyone mixing in 5.1 surround? 2010/11/14 08:14:34 (permalink)
    Actually..... no. But....

It all depends on the Interface and the DAW I guess. And I don't know if the DAW is even a big factor in it as long as you can get the 5 channels out. And to my understanding on the topic (limited) I would guess the Interface played a bigger part.

The interface I use is the Saffire. With 2 channels of input and 8 different assignable outputs. If I remember correctly...Once upon a time, when I first bought the Saffire and read the manual I seem to recall reading that the Saffire interface I have is actually designed to allow for the mixing of  7.1 surround sound for game music production. So 5.1 would also be possible with it.

I simply use it for stereo mixing. I use several of the other outputs for my stereo (headphone useage) and for the sub. If I was writing for games possibly I would be using the 5.1 setup.

That's all I can offer at the moment.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    jimmyrage
    Re:Anyone mixing in 5.1 surround? 2010/11/14 10:12:24 (permalink)
    There's no telling what can be done these days with blue ray and all the new stuff coming out. This is all new to me.  You probably can run an actual 5 or 7 channel system but from what I can tell , I just have 2 mono inputs from a DVD or whatever going to 2 ft stereo speakers, a mono center speaker, and a sub. I think the rear speakers are simular to what a stereo enhancer dose. Probably flip the phase and add a slight delay or something like that. The system has a room analyzer and I noticed that the front and rear speakers are crossed over at different points from each other, as well as the sub of coarse.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Anyone mixing in 5.1 surround? 2010/11/14 16:08:14 (permalink)
    I think I would have to set up the mix in the saffire mixer. I have MC4 and it only allows stereo out..... so the 7.1 thing would probably not work to well in stereo I'm guessing.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    Re:Anyone mixing in 5.1 surround? 2010/11/14 17:06:24 (permalink)
    I'm still struggling to master 1.0 :-)

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    jimmyrage
    Re:Anyone mixing in 5.1 surround? 2010/11/14 18:00:33 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker

I think I would have to set up the mix in the saffire mixer. I have MC4 and it only allows stereo out..... so the 7.1 thing would probably not work to well in stereo I'm guessing.

Actually I think there have probably been some stereo releases that were simulated 5.1 , that were mixed to sound good on a surround sound system. 
    jimmyrage
    Re:Anyone mixing in 5.1 surround? 2010/11/14 18:09:12 (permalink)
    droddey

I'm still struggling to master 1.0 :-)

Good point. I feel the same way but apparently it's still new enough that there's not an industry standard way of doing things yet , which kinda opens up a new door for me. One positive thing is that your media will have to be burned to at least a DVD which eliminates dithering down to 16 bits.  
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1