Anyone recorded a didgeridoo?!!

Author
jamescollins
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 747
2011/01/08 17:48:12 (permalink)

Anyone recorded a didgeridoo?!!

I've got an Aboriginal band coming in to make an album on Monday, and they've just told me there's a didgeridoo! 

I'd be interested to hear about your experiences recording this instrument, and things to watch out for. They, as usual, are on a tight budget, so I won't be able to stuff around for a long time experimenting.

I'll have three fingers of Glenlivet, with a little bit of pepper... and some cheese.

allthekingsmen.band
jamescollinsmusic.com

5 Replies Related Threads

MarlboroMan23
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 776
    Re:Anyone recorded a didgeridoo?!! 2011/01/08 20:54:18 (permalink)
    I've never recorded one but my Recording Engineers Handbook gives these three options:

1. Place dynamic or small diaphragm condenser mic about 4-6 feet from the bell.  Ideal distance from getting balance between low end and clarity.

2. Place small clip-on omni condenser on the end of the bell.

3. The Facebass is an alternative to microphones, it captures sounds from within the didj.

Good luck

most authors of novels regarded as classics are dead, classic novels are, therefore, most likely to be written by dead people.
    http://www.soundclick.com/opaquesounds
    mattplaysguitar
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1992
    Re:Anyone recorded a didgeridoo?!! 2011/01/08 21:08:10 (permalink)
    I have done about 10 minutes of experimental recording with a 58 about 2 inches out the front of the didge, on axis. From what I remember it sounded great. I don't recall too much bass issues, but be warned of that. Getting it pretty close and on axis should allow you to capture as many of the overtones as possible which is very important as it makes the entire character of the didge. As long as the bass isn't an issue then I would mic it there. Maybe even try a pop filter in between if the air is blowing into the mic too much. In fact, maybe just put on the pop filter regardless. Can't hurt. I would imagine a dynamic mic would probably work best for this application, but who knows. Let us know how it turns out!

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/mattlyonsmusic

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:Anyone recorded a didgeridoo?!! 2011/01/09 06:11:18 (permalink)
    I have recorded didge often. The player will often like to rest the end on the ground. I have got great results from a piece of wood about a foot square. They won't move the end around much. Put the microphone close to the end and looking down onto the timber where the didge reflects up. Still quite close eg 2 inches or so to the end of the didge.  Point the mike half at the end of the didge and the area of the wood it is hitting. You are more or less recording the reflection off the wood.

If they are all playing at once, you will get fantastic (lack of) spill too. Sound is always great with tons of power right from the deep low end up. Use a big fat condenser mike with a larger diaphragm. I have never used a pop filter, I think the wood dissipates any serious air problems. The sound will be easy to eq etc if needed. Signal level will be constant and lots of it too. Timber is better than carpet because it retains the top end much better. (Glass maybe, might break)
    post edited by Jeff Evans - 2011/01/09 08:32:28

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    jamescollins
    Re:Anyone recorded a didgeridoo?!! 2011/01/09 22:56:25 (permalink)
    Thanks a lot guys, they're laying down the rhythm section now, so we might get on to overdubbing the didge later on today - thanks for all the advice, I'll let you know how it goes!

I'll have three fingers of Glenlivet, with a little bit of pepper... and some cheese.

allthekingsmen.band
    jamescollinsmusic.com
    jamescollins
    Re:Anyone recorded a didgeridoo?!! 2011/01/11 04:44:53 (permalink)
    All was well! I ended up micing him with a Blue Kiwi in omni (started with a C414 but wanted a bit more presence), catching mostly reflected sound off my wooden studio floor. A great day had by all - definitely time for a beer now though...

allthekingsmen.band
    jamescollinsmusic.com
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1