Anyone used all three of these Protools, Cubase & Studio 1?

Author
bits2tubes
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 38
2018/02/06 20:55:22 (permalink)

Anyone used all three of these Protools, Cubase & Studio 1?

Okay... so I'm late getting to this switch to another DAW.  I'm looking into purchasing a new computer and DAW software.  I'm sure you've all seen these questions before.

PC or Mac?

Protools, Cubase or Studio 1?

I'm considering the switch to Mac & PT.  Thinking it will be a combination that will stay around the longest.

Has any one used all of these three DAWs before? Have you used both PC and Mac?

I'm open to a new start.  Any and all comments/jokes/etc. welcome at this point!

12 Replies Related Threads

JoeHans
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 149
    Re: Anyone used all three of these Protools, Cubase & Studio 1? 2018/02/07 12:19:22 (permalink)
    I have Protools 11, tried Studio One demo last spring and switched recently to Cubase.

Protools is stiff and feels old. Liked Studio One but it felt a bit stripped down compared to Sonar. The arranger track was really great tho. I've used Cubase 9.5 for a month and digging it very much. :) It has many cool features and has been rock solid so far.

I guess it comes down to what are your priorities for a DAW.

Sonar Platinum running on: Intel i7-2600k, ASUS P8Z68-V Pro, Kingston V300 SSD 240GB + OCZ 60GB SSD + Samsung 1TB HDD, 16GB Ram, E-MU 0404 USB
    The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    . 2018/02/07 12:46:19 (permalink)
    post edited by Splat Chat O'samplemashy - 2018/12/06 13:33:16

BassDaddy
    Max Output Level: -33 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4232
    Re: Anyone used all three of these Protools, Cubase & Studio 1? 2018/02/07 15:42:54 (permalink)
    bits2tubes
    Okay... so I'm late getting to this switch to another DAW.  I'm looking into purchasing a new computer and DAW software.  I'm sure you've all seen these questions before.

Any and all comments/jokes/etc. welcome at this point!

guy walks into a bar with a duck on his head...

It's Bass, not Bass.
    i7 2700K, 16GB DDR3, 2 SSD sample drives and OS drive, HDD SATAIII for projects, 2 24" monitors
    Focusrite Saffire Pro 24, Focusrite VRM Box, LAVA Lamp, SONAR Platinum 64 bit, Mackie MCU and 1 MCU XT, Akai Advance 49, Windows 10,
    Komplete 9 Ultimate, Cakewalk, Toontrack, IK, AAS, XLN, UVI, Air Music Tech, Waves Factory, Sample Tek and Sonivox VSTi's. Overloud, T-Racks, Audio Damage, D16, Nomad Factory, Waves Gold FX 
    Marshall
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 602
    Re: Anyone used all three of these Protools, Cubase & Studio 1? 2018/02/07 17:33:57 (permalink)
    Last time I switched computers - about 18 months ago - I wanted to buy a Mac, but I didn't because I thought moving from Sonar would be impossibly difficult. So I bought another PC - a classic case of letting the tail wag the dog.

In fact, switching to Studio One a couple of months ago was painless, and frankly, it's light years ahead of Sonar in many ways and I wish I'd done it years ago.

So, whilst I get why you might want to go with Pro Tools and Mac because of potential longevity, my point is that if you ever have to learn a new DAW again in the future, it's not a big deal.

I can't comment on PT or Cubase, and I have no idea what your requirements are as such, but I find SO extremely intuitive and user friendly.
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re: Anyone used all three of these Protools, Cubase & Studio 1? 2018/02/07 18:56:26 (permalink)
    Avid isn't going to stop making ProTools for PC.
    It's a much larger user base than the Mac.

Another thing to consider:
    Current generation Macs are *FAR* behind the performance curve.
    ie: You can't get a Mac running an i7-8700k at 4700MHz... or an i9-7900x running at 4500MHz.
    If you go iMac, you can't change the boot drive without voiding the warranty. 
    There is zero internal expansion or adding drives.  All additional drives have to be external (USB-3 or Thunderbolt). 
    A 1TB Thunderbolt HD is $200.  If you've got a lot of drives (I have ten SSDs), it's expensive to have them all external.  IMO, Having zero internal room for additional drives was short-sighted... both from cost and ergonomic/logistic standpoints.
    Otherwise, Mac is a slick looking machine... that performs well for what it is (dated hardware).

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re: Anyone used all three of these Protools, Cubase & Studio 1? 2018/02/12 10:41:14 (permalink)
    I have and use all 3 of the programs on PC. I’m sticking with Cubase. 9.5

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    SupaReels Music
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 370
    Re: Anyone used all three of these Protools, Cubase & Studio 1? 2018/02/12 11:30:35 (permalink)

Hi, I hope this helps a bit but this is what I've discovered.

I used studio one for the demo period to see if I would like it and it did seem like the DAW worked much the same as Platinum (My choice in Cakewalk) but, and I'm being a little unkind here, it was like using a cheap 'knock off' of what I was used to. I did try a few others including Pro Tools and it's probably me, but I agree with JoeHans comment.

In the end I bit the bullet and went with Cubase 9.5. I've been using the DAW for a couple of months every day and I'm just getting used to the new workflow. My opinion is that, although it's different it offers a new approach that Platinum has in spades, but it takes a lot of getting used to … Having said that doesn't any DAW ? I use them both for different tasks although I find now CB 9.5 is the main go to.

For my money I'd stay with PC don't fix it till it's broke JMO

Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re: Anyone used all three of these Protools, Cubase & Studio 1? 2018/02/12 12:16:59 (permalink)
    @OP
    What types of projects are you working on?
    Are they heavy on the MIDI side?  If so, are you making extensive use of outboard/hardware synths?
    Do you need notation?
    Are you primarily tracking audio?

With more details... we can make better recommendations.

Studio One has the cleanest UI... and has a nice balance of audio/MIDI features.
    Has a gap-less audio engine, lots of included content, no notation

Cubase has extensive (more esoteric) MIDI editing, notation, etc.
    As such... Cubase is popular with composers.

ProTools 2018 has just about caught up with the best native DAWs (feature wise).
    If you haven't used ProTools, it'll take some time to get configured (setting up the I/O, etc).

You really can't make a bad decision with any of those three.
    Spend some time with all three.
    One will likely "jump out" as a better fit for your scenario.

You might also want to check out Samplitude Pro X3.
    Ableton Live is a great DAW application, but it's focus is more on the creative/performance side (much different from a standard "linear" type DAW).  IMO, Live is best paired with another more traditional type DAW.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    bits2tubes
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 38
    Re: Anyone used all three of these Protools, Cubase & Studio 1? 2018/02/12 17:43:38 (permalink)
    Many thanks to all of you for your input. So now I know I'm sticking with PC.

Jim, I will contact you in the coming weeks.

As for DAWs I guess I'll just try a few. As I under stand it SO is a one-screen UI. I always like being able to switch from Edit to Mix screens in Plat. Don't know if I'd like the one screen only idea? I don't do much MIDI but do need it. Also don't need notation. Cubase maybe a better option thought overall. Not sure what the I/O hassle is with PT, but I've always liked the rather straight forward look.

Jim, thanks for bringing up Samplitude Pro X3. I used Samplitude years ago and liked it. Just didn't think it would stick around and not have great support. I've used Sound Forge for years.

Again, my sincere thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond with good information.
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re: Anyone used all three of these Protools, Cubase & Studio 1? 2018/02/12 17:51:56 (permalink)
    Studio One can be setup to switch from Mix window to Arrange window as per Pro Tools with one key stroke.  It also works very nice over two screens as well.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    abacab
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4464
    Re: Anyone used all three of these Protools, Cubase & Studio 1? 2018/02/12 18:22:14 (permalink)
    bits2tubes

As I under stand it SO is a one-screen UI. I always like being able to switch from Edit to Mix screens in Plat. Don't know if I'd like the one screen only idea?

You can detach the console from the docked position in the lower area (click on the little angled arrow icon on the console), and resize it or drag it to another monitor.  If you are only working with one screen, you can resize it to full screen, then toggle the view off/on with the F3 key.  Instant edit or mix with one key.  Works very well!

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
    mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: Anyone used all three of these Protools, Cubase & Studio 1? 2018/02/12 18:34:30 (permalink)
    +1 to the above with SO. I had the same reaction when I first read about the single page UI, but you are not limited to such.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1