Anyone using Edirol UA 1000? I need advice.

Author
ezkey
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 79
2005/05/28 11:26:35 (permalink)

Anyone using Edirol UA 1000? I need advice.

I bought my Edirol and received it this week and have successfully (as far as I can tell) loaded and connected it to my computer via USB. However, I'm having some issues, not serious, but need some recommendations or insight. I was assuming that the interface would act as my soundcard as well.

1. I thought I could just hook up the USB and be able to hear everything through the speakers connected to my computer via the 1/8 stereo jack. Instead, I have to hook them to the 1/2 main out on the back of the Edirol, which is not a big issue, except then I have to switch it back to hear all the Windows prompts and such.

2. I can hear and play back audio samples with Sonar, but I cannot hear any midi samples. Again, I didn't think I would need to use the midi in/out on the back of the Edirol unless I was hooking another midi device(s) to use, and that everthing was communicated between the computer and Edirol.

What I have done is:

read through the manual under driver settings, using the WDM driver, it looks as if I am to select "Edirol UA-1000 for Playback, Recording and Midi in the Windows "Sound & Playback" window under the control panel. Which I have done, and the manual recommends. They are my defaults.

In Sonar's Audio options:
GENERAL: I have selected all the PLAYBACK: EDIROL 1/2; RECORD: EDIROL 1/2
ADVANCED: DRIVER MODE: WDM/KS
DRIVERS: INPUT: EDIROL 1/2; EDIROL 3/4; EDIROL 5/6...ETC.
DRIVERS: OUTPUT: EDIROL 1/2; EDIROL 3/4...ETC.

In Sonar's Midi drivers Input and output, I have selected the Edirol only for each I have deselected MPU-401 on both including midi mapper.

I have all Sonar's software and have recently built a new system loading just Sonar 4.0 Producer Edition, so I'm not completely new to all of this. Here is my system:

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
Athon 64 3200+
Windows XP Professional
Sonar 4.0
1 GB Ram
Dual Monitor
Edirol UA-1000 interface

Thanks for any help you can offer!

23 Replies Related Threads

Parsley
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: Anyone using Edirol UA 1000? I need advice. 2005/05/28 12:28:42 (permalink)
    I'm not an expert, so hopefully others can correct any mistakes, but I think that:

It's normal that you need to plug your speakers into the UA1000 - it's that which is making the sounds in this case, not your computer.

It's normal that the UA1000 isn't making any sounds for your midi tracks, because it isn't a synthesiser. It _is_ probably trying to send them out of its midi interface, though, so if you connected a sound module to it with a midi cable, and then put the audio outs of the sound module into your speakers, you'd hear something. Or, you could try setting up your midi tracks to play a soft-synth within Sonar. This would come through your UA1000 as the (digital) audio would be generated by your pc and sent over USB to the UA1000.

I hope this helps, and that I've not goofed!
    luckyg
    • Total Posts : 71
    RE: Anyone using Edirol UA 1000? I need advice. 2005/05/28 12:54:10 (permalink)
    I've got a similar setup with the UA-1000 and I've yet to find a better way to run the sound. Right now I have the phones monitor on the UA-1000 running into my computer's onboard soundcard and my speakers are connected to the computer's soundcard as well. Windows system sounds are played through the soundcard and everything in Sonar is run to the UA-1000 > soundcard > speakers. Again not the best.... I'd like to have separate monitors for the UA-1000. But it gets me by for now.

...everything is fine, nothing is ruined...
    luckyg
    • Total Posts : 71
    RE: Anyone using Edirol UA 1000? I need advice. 2005/05/28 12:56:59 (permalink)
    Oh, forgot to mention about midi!! Midi is played through the onboard soundcard.... unless I want to route it to a soft synth in sonar.

...everything is fine, nothing is ruined...
    ezkey
    RE: Anyone using Edirol UA 1000? I need advice. 2005/05/28 14:30:28 (permalink)
    Thanks, this will help! I also did a system restore back to the factory settings on the UA1000. I have been able to hear all the window prompts as well as the audio now too.

I still have to work out the midi, but your comments will help.

I have on other problem...

I have been watching the "Sonar 4 Master" DVD and trying to do things while it is demonstrating. However, I do get an error saying that the drivers for the Edirol are incompatible or in use with another program. Is this expected, or can I fix it some how. Under Sonar's Driver settings I have "share driver with other programs", but maybe I'm not supposed to do that.

Any insight? Thanks for the timely responses.

Scott
    jamester
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1481
    RE: Anyone using Edirol UA 1000? I need advice. 2005/05/28 16:36:02 (permalink)
    I have -and love- the UA-1000, it is rock solid and sounds great. Parsley's advice was pretty much right-on.

Personally, I have all Windows internal sounds disabled - why do I need to hear all those stupid little blips and blings? The internal soundcard still works for Media Player, but only if the Edirol is off. If I turn the Edirol on, Media Player will play through it and out of my main speakers.

Why would you want to hear your recorded music through laptop speakers, anyways? At the very least, run the main outs on the Edirol into your home stereo receiver with 1/4inch-to-RCA jacks.

HTH! If you have any other questions, I'll be happy to help if I can. I found the manual for the UA-1000 to really suck, so some things I had to learn by trial and error. Still haven't fully sussed out how the Direct Monitoring works, but it's not a biggie for me...

Purrrfect Audio DAW built by Jim Roseberry
    Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
    Reaper, Live, Sound Forge, Pyro
    ezkey
    RE: Anyone using Edirol UA 1000? I need advice. 2005/05/29 00:13:20 (permalink)
    Great advice! I thought about disabling all of that too. However, in the meantime I will deal with it. As for the speakers, you are right. I'm saving for some good monitors and surround speakers, but I have found that it is good to test out the mixes in the desktop speakers, home stereo, car stereo, etc. I've come up with some good mixes.

I will certainly take you up on the advice deal in regards to the Edirol. I think the manual is crap too.

- Scott
    jamester
    RE: Anyone using Edirol UA 1000? I need advice. 2005/05/29 00:27:03 (permalink)
    I have found that it is good to test out the mixes in the desktop speakers, home stereo, car stereo, etc. I've come up with some good mixes.

Definitely! Like I said before, Media Player will still play through the laptop speakers even with internal sounds turned off. I just save to a Wav, then when the daw is off just click to play it!

Here's some PC voodoo: When I first started alternating between the Media Player playing between the Edirol and the internal soundcard, I used to have to set it manually in XP's Sounds dialog box. But after a while, it just started switching itself automatically! I used to have that dialog box on my desktop for quick access, but no longer. It's like XP "learned" what was going on and adjusted itself. weird...

Good luck, man. That manual makes me feel stupid! LOL

Scouser Boy
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: Anyone using Edirol UA 1000? I need advice. 2005/05/30 16:08:42 (permalink)
    I have had the same problems with a UA25. No-one has solved them yet.

Good luck and let me know if you get any good advice.

Follow my thread below to check on the responses

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=471327&mpage=1&key=񳄟

System Info:
    Athlon 2.0 Processor
    Edirol UA-25 USB Audio Interface
    Memory 512mb
    Windows XP SP 1

ezkey
    RE: Anyone using Edirol UA 1000? I need advice. 2005/05/30 16:29:01 (permalink)
    What helped out significantly is that I did a system restore on the Edirol itself. I haven't really changed anything else. However, to get my midi to work, I need to use a built in DXi midi within Sonar. In this case, the Cakewalk TTS-1.

- Scott
    ezkey
    RE: Anyone using Edirol UA 1000? I need advice. 2005/05/30 16:32:47 (permalink)
    Jamster:

Are you using the Edirol for midi too? When I selected the Edirol for my Default Midi in the Windows Sound/Recording/Midi window and selected it for Midi in Sonar's midi setup... I still get nothing when I open the samples. I have to load a DXi to hear anything. Everything else is working fine otherwise.

I was just curious as to what you thought since you were generous in offering a little help.

- Scott
    ezkey
    RE: Anyone using Edirol UA 1000? I need advice. 2005/05/30 17:08:13 (permalink)

Here's some PC voodoo: When I first started alternating between the Media Player playing between the Edirol and the internal soundcard, I used to have to set it manually in XP's Sounds dialog box. But after a while, it just started switching itself automatically! I used to have that dialog box on my desktop for quick access, but no longer. It's like XP "learned" what was going on and adjusted itself. weird...

That is weird!
    RonsZound
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 316
    RE: Anyone using Edirol UA 1000? I need advice. 2005/05/30 22:14:25 (permalink)
    Jamster:

Are you using the Edirol for midi too? When I selected the Edirol for my Default Midi in the Windows Sound/Recording/Midi window and selected it for Midi in Sonar's midi setup... I still get nothing when I open the samples. I have to load a DXi to hear anything. Everything else is working fine otherwise.

I was just curious as to what you thought since you were generous in offering a little help.

- Scott

Scott,

I don't have the UA-1000, but I do own the UA-100 and FA-101. The edirol products are very similar to one another for the most part. Anyway, selecting the UA-1000 as the default midi device for playback isn't going to work for you because the UA-1000 is an Audio/Midi interface and not a Synth. It allows you to pass analog audio, digital audio, and midi messages to and from the computer. Therefore, you need to connect a hardware synth to the UA-1000 to get playback from recorded midi performances, or use a software synth (a.k.a DXi or VST plug-in).

The way I use my edirol interfaces with Midi is as follows:

1) Midi Controller keyboard Midi-Out to Edirol Midi-In.
    2) Edirol Midi-In to Midi track in sonar.
    3) Midi Track to Audio Track with Plugin
    4) Audio Track to Master Bus
    5) Master Bus to Edirol Audio Out1/2
    6) Edirol Audio Out 1/2 to speakers

If I'm using a surface controller or midi device that utilizes midi messages from Sonar (i.e. GR33) then I use a second midi cable to patch the Edirol Midi-Out to the device Midi-In. Also, for the Edirol products I've never been able to use WDM drivers for low latency realtime performance playback. I always have used ASIO drivers for this.

Hope this helps,
    Ron
    GREGi
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: Anyone using Edirol UA 1000? I need advice. 2005/05/30 23:32:34 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ezkey.......When I selected the Edirol for my Default Midi in the Windows Sound/Recording/Midi window and selected it for Midi in Sonar's midi setup... I still get nothing when I open the samples. I have to load a DXi to hear anything. Everything else is working fine otherwise.......
    I was just curious as to what you thought since you were generous in offering a little help.- Scott

Correct me if I'm wrong.... but the UA 1000 doesn't have a midi synth in it does it?

Remember...midi is NOT audio.....you have to send it to a synth to hear it .
    Either routed to an internal softsynth and then out to the UA 1000 or directly
    to an external synth, in wich case you'd need a mixer to mix the output of the UA 1000
    and the external synth( unless the UA 1000 has extra inputs for this purpose..I don't know.)

I'm not sure what you mean when you say you still get nothing when you open the samples.

What are you opening them in?

You have to either load them in a sample player or add them to an audio track.

You can't play samples directly from a midi track.

Midi is not audio!

ezkey
    RE: Anyone using Edirol UA 1000? I need advice. 2005/05/31 00:10:29 (permalink)
    RonZound & Gregi:

Yes, you are right. I do realize it is just an interface, and I feel like an idiot now, but I thought it would process the generic (i.e. General) midi sounds for me and I could plug in what I wanted later. I realized earlier that if I use a Plug-In I could hear them. I used the Cakewalk TTS-1 and it worked.

I've very rarely ever used midi for anything if at all... everything is direct audio recording for me... so I'm very, very naive as to the midi stuff and how to make it work.

Thanks for the input!
    GREGi
    RE: Anyone using Edirol UA 1000? I need advice. 2005/05/31 00:54:41 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ezkey
    ........................I've very rarely ever used midi for anything if at all... ...............
    everything is direct audio recording for me... so I'm very,
    very naive as to the midi stuff and how to make it work.
    Thanks for the input!

Hey no problem mate.

I got into midi sequencing before I knew anything about audio recording,
    back in the days of Steinberg Pro 24 on an Atari 1040ST......

Back then, home computers simply weren't fast enough or powerful enough
    to do audio....

I tend to forget that other people, such as yourself,
    might not have even a basic understanding of the midi concept...
    so forgive me if I came across as arrogant or condescending!

post edited by GREGi - 2005/05/31 00:56:16
    jamester
    RE: Anyone using Edirol UA 1000? I need advice. 2005/05/31 01:04:41 (permalink)
    Well, it seems everything's already been covered! Glad you're working things out EZ; midi has a pretty steep learning curve, at least it does for me. Sounds like you're on the right track.

FWIW, I don't 'do' midi at all with the Edirol. I use the Oxygen8 midi keyboard through a USB cable (since the USB also powers it, that's one less thing plugged into the rats nest under my desk).

GREGi
    GREGi
    RE: Anyone using Edirol UA 1000? I need advice. 2005/05/31 01:11:18 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jamester
    Well, it seems everything's already been .........

Hi Jamester.......

Looks like you still haven't finished that beer mate!

jamester
    RE: Anyone using Edirol UA 1000? I need advice. 2005/05/31 01:31:07 (permalink)
    Funny, could've sworn I finished off quite a few just today!

ezkey
    RE: Anyone using Edirol UA 1000? I need advice. 2005/05/31 13:23:42 (permalink)
    No, you didn't come across that way, but I'm making it a point to work more on this midi stuff. I need more for my interactive drum kit than anything else.

Thanks for all the links too.
    ezkey
    RE: Anyone using Edirol UA 1000? I need advice. 2005/05/31 13:27:38 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the help everyone. This information helps a lot.
    ezkey
    RE: Anyone using Edirol UA 1000? I need advice. 2005/06/21 20:07:49 (permalink)
    Hey Jamester!

Well, I'm taking you up on your offer and I have a question about the UA1000's patch bay control panel.

The manual really seems to blow, can you tell me if this is correct:

Does WAVE IN 1-2 / INPUT 3-4 (does this mean 1 & 2 on the UA1000 goes to Inputs 3 & 4 on the computer?)
    Does OUTPUT 1-2 / WAVE OUT 3-4 (does this mean Outputs 1 & 2 on the computer will come out of 3 & 4 on the UA1000?)

Thanks for any suggestions or help

MWalsh
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Anyone using Edirol UA 1000? I need advice. 2005/08/17 17:04:49 (permalink)
    Hey, I could sure use your help and sounds to me like you are the wizard here. So far I am loving the Edirol UA-1000. For me, I finally have clean audio. I am using Sonar 4 and recording audio and it is great.

2 spots where I am having trouble so far:

1. The ADAT optical connection to the Edirol. I pushed the two ADAT buttons on the front panel simultaneously and the lights got yellow. The syncing worked and it recorded audio onto 5 tracks from the ADAT. But when I listened to it, it was all distorted. Is there a secret to make this work?

2. I have the O2R digital mixing board and I have one of the digital outputs from the board routed to the coax digital input of the Edirol UA-1000. I am thinking that I should be able to do a mix of all tracks, midi through my many keyboards and modules and audio onto a single stereo track in Sonar and that if I assign the input to Stereo 9/10 that I should get this digital sigal coming from the board. I am not getting any signal when I set up a track like that. Are there Word Clock issues? On the board, I have word clock set to the Edirol Digital Input.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Michael Walsh
    www.TheSmoothSpot.com
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1