Anyone using P5 on a Mac???

Author
Rosco
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 168
2008/10/15 16:10:36 (permalink)

Anyone using P5 on a Mac???

Hi all,

Just got myself an imac and will soon be moving P5 onto it.
I was wondering if anybody else had done the same and what did they think,
any issues/problems, general comments or advice to offer?

Have loaded windows XP onto the maxc and will be running P5 on that.

Many thankx

Rosco

5 Replies Related Threads

inmazevo
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3276
    RE: Anyone using P5 on a Mac??? 2008/10/15 19:10:02 (permalink)
    I ran it on XP with:
    My iMac 2.16 Core 2
    My Macbook 2.16 Core 2

No issues. It ran like it always does.

I'm torn on my most recent machine as to whether to put it on the bootcamp partition, or run it in Fusion.
    I pretty much only use it for midi loop creation these days, so it seems odd to have to shut down the Mac, boot to Windows, create the loops, shut down the Mac, boot to Leopard, etc.
    With Fusion, I can fire it up alongside Logic Pro or Live, hack out some midi, drop it in my shared folder, import, and off I go.

As long as your midi/audio interfaces are fine, P5 on XP on Mac should be fine (who'd have ever seriously thought we could make statements like that... and mean it).

Take care,
    - zevo
    Rosco
    RE: Anyone using P5 on a Mac??? 2008/10/15 20:14:05 (permalink)
    That's interesting.

Seems like you got a very similar setup to mine, I also run Live7 and am getting Logic Pro 8 any day soon.

Mine is 2.66, core 2 with 2GB of memory and I've just installed Fusion, (I'm using the 30 day free evaluation copy.)

I still use P5 a lot though, and will continue to do so even when I have Logic.

So its good to go, I'll install.

Cheers

Rosco
    inmazevo
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3276
    RE: Anyone using P5 on a Mac??? 2008/10/15 20:38:20 (permalink)
    Excellent.
    One thing about Fusion:
    Double your RAM. 2GB won't cut it.

On my new machine, I have 6GB, and with Fusion running Vista 32bit and very little going on in either OS, I can get down to less than 1GB total available memory. If I fire up a second VM (ubuntu) at the same time, my machine starts swapping memory, which increases CPU usage, and bogs the machine down.

It's WELL worth it to spend the money to make things run smoothly. 4GB will make XP pure along quite well. 2GB... not so much.
    We have loads of virtual machines here at work. I picked Vista at home, but we generally use XP at work, and in a max 4GB memory machine, I'd strongly suggest leaving Vista out and sticking to XP.

I'm experimenting now with Fusion and limited P5/Sonar use within it. It's actually quite promising, and I frankly didn't expect it to be. You don't get your audio device exposed "proper," but you do get WDM drivers for limited connectivity. If you set up a shared folder, you can swap data pretty easily.

I don't expect to be doing any serious DAW work within Fusion. For that, I'll bootcamp. However, it will be nice to fire up P5 for midi editing, or Sound Forge for Audio Editing, and NOT have to reboot the machine.

Very cool.

- zevo
    post edited by inmazevo - 2008/10/15 20:42:09
    Rosco
    RE: Anyone using P5 on a Mac??? 2008/10/16 07:01:36 (permalink)
    Thanks for the advice.

I'll keep an eye on the memory thing.

I'm using XP, I won't be using Vista, so many people I know who use it have ditched it and gone back to XP.

Cheers

Rosco
    PaintedBlue
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 651
    RE: Anyone using P5 on a Mac??? 2008/10/18 00:03:00 (permalink)
    Although you plan on using Windows XP, I wanted to let you know that some of the iMac models have integrated audio issues (i.e., snaps/crackles/pops) when the integrated AirPort wireless adapter is enabled in Windows Vista (i.e., when using Boot Camp).

Accordingly, you will most certainly want to use a dedicated audio interface if you plan on using a wireless network connection within Windows Vista. Additionally, I would recommend using Boot Camp to boot to Windows instead of running Project5 inside of a virtual machine.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1