Anyone using X32 with X-USB interface + Sonar: New Driver available

Author
tenfoot
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2186
2017/06/29 04:13:49 (permalink)

Anyone using X32 with X-USB interface + Sonar: New Driver available

Just a heads up for anyone using the X32 X-USB interface with Sonar. There is a new driver available (X-USB 4.11). Combined with the latest version of Platinum (2017-06 early access) it has solved a few issues on both my studio and live rigs. Well worth the download:)

https://www.music-group.com/Categories/Behringer/Mixers/Digital-Mixers/X32-PRODUCER/p/P0AWQ/downloads

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.

9 Replies Related Threads

BMOG
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 638
    Re: Anyone using X32 with X-USB interface + Sonar: New Driver available 2017/08/27 16:28:29 (permalink)
    Are you using the X32 as your main recording interface?  If so are you pleased with the results?  I have been speaking with some sound engineers and they state the X32 is good for live production but not so much for being your main recording device?  I just bought one and wanted to know thanks in advance

www.jsuntylermusic.com
    Youtube Channel
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBWfLp0D4F0l_YWiQpN5AN_HbSpaIe8bk
    Sonar Platinum |ASUS Desktop PC|Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.6GHz|8 GM of Memory|64Bit|Yamaha 01v96i|Motu MK3 Ultralite not active|Roland Octa Capture not active|Motif XS7|Ravenscroft 275 VST|KOMPLETE 10
    reginaldStjohn
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 485
    Re: Anyone using X32 with X-USB interface + Sonar: New Driver available 2017/08/27 22:36:53 (permalink)
    BMOG
    Are you using the X32 as your main recording interface?  If so are you pleased with the results?  I have been speaking with some sound engineers and they state the X32 is good for live production but not so much for being your main recording device?  I just bought one and wanted to know thanks in advance

I would like to know this as well. I have been eyeing one to replace my StudioLive 16.0.2 but I have not been convinced that this will adequately replace it. It certainly has all the bells and whistles and gets some good reviews but I don't like the groups of 8 assignments you have to make for the inputs and outputs. It seems like for my recording setup I would have to route my main bus out of Sonar to an auxiliary track rather then regular track so as not to have to use up a whole block of 8 card inputs just to have a two track output from the computer.

Any input is welcome.

AMD Phenom II x6, 8 GB Ram, 2 Internal SATA III HD
    Windows 10
    Presonus Studio Live 16.0.2 Interface/Mixer
    Cakewalk Sonar Platinum
    Line6 Helix Guitar Processor 
    Custom Made (El Bandito) Telecaster
    LTD ESP EC-1000
    PRS El Torrero SE
    tenfoot
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2186
    Re: Anyone using X32 with X-USB interface + Sonar: New Driver available 2017/08/28 01:15:25 (permalink)
    I have two X32's that I use for live production, at which they certainly excell. Whilst I have used them for live recording, I do not use them as my main recording interface in the studio. For that I have an RME Fireface. Whilst it does give superior recording performance, bear in mind it costs more than the X32 and is a dedicated audio interface only, so you would expect that.

I have used the X32 for some editing in the studio. The real drawback is that the ASIO driver is not nearly as efficient as the RME driver and requires higher buffers resulting in higher latency. Not a big issue if you are doing only audio recording, but not ideal if you use midi soft synths or real-time input FX in your setup.

@reginaldstjohn. You are correct. All assignments including the X-usb card are done in banks of eight. That said, the routing is extremely flexible.

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
    GaryMedia
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 217
    Re: Anyone using X32 with X-USB interface + Sonar: New Driver available 2017/08/28 13:28:58 (permalink)
    reginaldStjohn
    BMOG

I would like to know this as well. I have been eyeing one to replace my StudioLive 16.0.2 but I have not been convinced that this will adequately replace it. It certainly has all the bells and whistles and gets some good reviews but I don't like the groups of 8 assignments you have to make for the inputs and outputs. It seems like for my recording setup I would have to route my main bus out of Sonar to an auxiliary track rather then regular track so as not to have to use up a whole block of 8 card inputs just to have a two track output from the computer.

Any input is welcome.

I used an X32 as my main recording interface starting in the spring of 2013.  I now use an M32, but the exact same logical setup of signal routing topology. 

I've found it most convenient to map the Card-in from the computer to the Aux-in's in the following way:  The first stereo pair is the master out from Sonar.  The next stereo is mapped for the metronome, and the third stereo pair is for soft-synth outputs.  During tracking, it's very nice to fade out the metronome in the ears of the musicians.  It's like dimming the lights in an auditorium; but in this case it ensures that they all wait for the sustain tails and cymbals to decay at the end of a take.  Soft-synth output being managed independently of the main mix playback during overdubbing is vital to keeping the audio focus where it needs to be for the best headphone mix.  That layer also has the USB port hard-wired to the fourth stereo pair, and I never use it. 

The other 32 inputs remain on the upper two layers and work as expected.  That's my ITB (in the box) scene in a nutshell.  I also have experimented with an OTB (out of the box) scene in which I mapped 12 stereo busses to the X32/M32 inputs, and then some fancy P16 to Card-out-to-computer routing to provide the summed result. Having done the OTB thing, it reaffirmed my commitment to ITB workflow. 

For me, the best features of the X32/M32 for a recording studio is the fact that you can control multiple headphone mixes, apply comfort reverb as needed, EQ and compress for the artists' tracking preferences while capturing 'vanilla' sound, control over multiple stereo pairs of speakers, quickly balancing tracks via the Mackie Control when doing post-production on live recordings, and proper talkback to the artists. 

HTH

CbB Win10 | Mac Pro 12-core 3.33GHz/48GB | TCL 55" 4K UHD | 480GB SSD | 6TB HDD RAID-5 array| 1.5TB SSD RAID-0 array | Midas M32 | 2x Audient ASP800 |  UAD-2 Duo PCIe | Adam A7X.
    http://www.tedlandstudio.com/articles
    reginaldStjohn
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 485
    Re: Anyone using X32 with X-USB interface + Sonar: New Driver available 2017/08/28 19:04:05 (permalink)
    GaryMedia, Thanks for your input

AMD Phenom II x6, 8 GB Ram, 2 Internal SATA III HD
    Windows 10
    Presonus Studio Live 16.0.2 Interface/Mixer
    Cakewalk Sonar Platinum
    Line6 Helix Guitar Processor 
    Custom Made (El Bandito) Telecaster
    LTD ESP EC-1000
    PRS El Torrero SE
    Charlyv
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re: Anyone using X32 with X-USB interface + Sonar: New Driver available 2018/09/06 04:04:56 (permalink)
    I use an X32 with a Sonar Artist  DAW

On the X32, I use 8 mixbus channels for my FOH
    1,2   QSC K12 pair
    3,4   JBL 615  pair
    5,6   Bose L2 pair (columns only, no base modules)
    7,8   QSC KSUB pair
    There are 2 Bose S1 Pro on the monitors bus, used as monitors.

My input channels use varying output to all of these mixbus sound systems, according to voice/instrument needs.
    Each mixbus pair has it's own EQ settings to compensate for the differences in hardware and can be individually controlled with the 8 mixbus level controls.

I use 1 DCA fader assigned to all 8 mixbus channels as a master level control.  
    This setup works very well on stage.

I use SONAR Artist as a DAW and use the 32 channel X-USB for all recording.

The Question is:  I would like to be able to assign the Master output from Sonar to send the output to all of these mixbus channels when playing back, just like it works when playing live.  Does anyone know how this should be accomplished? 

Presently, I must assign a couple of unused output channels (9,10) and put speakers on them to hear playback and route the 9-16 USB to just get stereo out of 9,10.  I would like to hear the entire recording coming back out of all of these mixbus channels.    Thanks for any help here.  I have tried so many things.

Sonar Artist, CoreI7 32gb/2Tb SSD, X32, TD30 KV-PRO, Roland VR-09, Vocalist Live-3, BOSS SY-300's.  Amps: Fender Twin Legacy, SWR 15 Bass w/twin 10 bottom, Leslie S10 Vib.  PA: QSC K12's, QSC subs, 2 Bose L1 towers running off a Crown amp., 2 JBL 615 Eon's (Floor Monitors), 2 Bose S1 as studio monitors. SM58's for all mics, 
    GaryMedia
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 217
    Re: Anyone using X32 with X-USB interface + Sonar: New Driver available 2018/09/06 14:01:39 (permalink)
    The nice thing (and the madness-inducing) about the X32 is that there are a zillion ways to route signals.  If I understand the situation correctly, you'd like for SONAR output 1-2 to appear on an input that has a normal range of mixbus choices so you can treat the blend/levels you send out to the speaker pairs just like any other.  I'm assuming (ugh) that you've not already used the TRS Aux-In ports. If so:

On the 'Setup>>Card' screen, make sure you have either 32in/32out or 32in/8out selected.
    On the 'Routing>>Home' screen, choose 'Aux-in Remap>>Card 1-2' (1-4, 1-6 will work equally well)
    On the layer that lets you see the 'Aux USB and Effects' the first two inputs will be the first two outputs from SONAR.
    The 'Home' screen for that first two inputs should be set to 'Link' as stereo, and that pair's mixbus behavior will be just like any other channel.

If you already have the Aux-In TRS ports committed, and can't move them, then post back with details, and I'll suggest another routing solution. 

CbB Win10 | Mac Pro 12-core 3.33GHz/48GB | TCL 55" 4K UHD | 480GB SSD | 6TB HDD RAID-5 array| 1.5TB SSD RAID-0 array | Midas M32 | 2x Audient ASP800 |  UAD-2 Duo PCIe | Adam A7X.
    http://www.tedlandstudio.com/articles
    Charlyv
    Re: Anyone using X32 with X-USB interface + Sonar: New Driver available 2018/09/07 08:23:24 (permalink)
    Thanks for the comeback Gary. I will get right to that this weekend when I have some down time.  
    I do not have the Aux-In TRS ports committed, so should not be a problem.
    I will post back results, and thanks again!!!!

PS.  You are not kidding about the madness inducing router possibilities. I got the entire studio into such a feedback loop by messing with the X32 routing while live, that I had to pull the studio breaker before I lost my hearing (not to mention the potential of blowing out a mess of speakers!). All I had to do was push the mute group, but PANIC!!!
    post edited by Charlyv - 2018/09/10 04:42:01

Sonar Artist, CoreI7 32gb/2Tb SSD, X32, TD30 KV-PRO, Roland VR-09, Vocalist Live-3, BOSS SY-300's.  Amps: Fender Twin Legacy, SWR 15 Bass w/twin 10 bottom, Leslie S10 Vib.  PA: QSC K12's, QSC subs, 2 Bose L1 towers running off a Crown amp., 2 JBL 615 Eon's (Floor Monitors), 2 Bose S1 as studio monitors. SM58's for all mics, 
    Charlyv
    Re: Anyone using X32 with X-USB interface + Sonar: New Driver available 2018/09/10 03:55:25 (permalink)
    Gary,
    I cannot thank you enough. You have solved my problem completely and finally, the band can hear what we put into the system.  You rock.

Regards,
    Charles Viau

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1