Helpful ReplyAnyone using a CS400 4u Sweetwater computer?

Author
Unknowen
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1276
2017/08/02 15:31:12 (permalink)

Anyone using a CS400 4u Sweetwater computer?

I'm thinking of getting a Sweetwater Custom Computing CS400 4u.
The problem I always have is with Sonar Splat and a few Wave plugins on my laptops?
Sweetwater says that this system can be rack mounted and is "silent running" so basically I would use it in a rack to replace my laptop for around the house. :)
Anyone having issues with the CS400 system running Sonar with plugins? other info about this unit?

Thanks!

Hay look,
Somethings are not locked in stone... lol 3/18/2019
listen
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 593
Re: Anyone using a CS400 4u Sweetwater computer? 2017/08/02 15:35:21 (permalink)
It is what I am currently using - LOVE IT!!!!!   You are going Windows 10, correct???

- Listen -
FOH Mixer & Recording Studio Manager
Nothing but the grace of God - mggtg.

VS 700C - R / CONSOLE 1 / NEVE PORTICO 5017 / TASCAM UH-7000 / SONAR PLATINUM  / REASON RECORD 9 / VMP 2 / UREI 7110's / UA LA-610 MkII / AUDIENT ASP 880 / CREATION STATION 450 V 5 WINDOWS 10 / HOME 64 - BIT / SKYLAKE CORE i7 (i7 - 6700, 4 CORES/8 THREADS)
JonD
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
Re: Anyone using a CS400 4u Sweetwater computer? 2017/08/02 16:02:31 (permalink)
These systems are designed and optimized to be used for audio production.  They are a far cry from your laptop -- or any other "off the shelf" PC.

The system you describe is encased as a rackmountable unit.  You commented, "system can be rack mounted... so basically I would use it in a rack to replace my laptop for around the house".  Just to be clear, it is rack-mounted (not "can be"), and while you can move it around if necessary, it's really meant to be stationary, in a rack.

If you need to move "around the house", then maybe you should be looking at a laptop. I'm not sure if Sweetwater offers a laptop solution, but there are other Custom DAW PC builders who do -- for example, ADK Pro Audio and Studiocat (Both of whom are well known and regarded here on these forums).

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
Unknowen
Re: Anyone using a CS400 4u Sweetwater computer? 2017/08/02 18:23:29 (permalink)
listen
It is what I am currently using - LOVE IT!!!!!   You are going Windows 10, correct???

Cool! I don't really want to use win 10 but... that's what is comes with... I may go 10pro. just to keep the updates from installing randomly...

Thanks! :)

Hay look,
Unknowen
Re: Anyone using a CS400 4u Sweetwater computer? 2017/08/02 18:30:08 (permalink)
JonD
These systems are designed and optimized to be used for audio production.  They are a far cry from your laptop -- or any other "off the shelf" PC.

The system you describe is encased as a rackmountable unit.  You commented, "system can be rack mounted... so basically I would use it in a rack to replace my laptop for around the house".  Just to be clear, it is rack-mounted (not "can be"), and while you can move it around if necessary, it's really meant to be stationary, in a rack.

If you need to move "around the house", then maybe you should be looking at a laptop. I'm not sure if Sweetwater offers a laptop solution, but there are other Custom DAW PC builders who do -- for example, ADK Pro Audio and Studiocat (Both of whom are well known and regarded here on these forums).

Yea, I will put it in a portable case and have two stations setup where I now use laptops. It will be nice to setup to record and not have to cable/snake and run back and forth from my main system to the drums or recording someone in the same room will work out great! My laptops bite! lol this really opens up a lot better setup options for me...

Thanks! :)

Hay look,
Brian Walton
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 584
Re: Anyone using a CS400 4u Sweetwater computer? 2017/08/02 19:42:16 (permalink)
PCs like this are fine for those that don't know how to buy components and install software.

Otherwise they are drastically overpriced.  The idea they are that much better than an off-the-shelf machine is misleading.  You can get a computer with the same kind of specs from a number of sources for less.  Though you may need to either run a program to get rid of bloatware or do the Win install yourself.  (the Sweetwater system comes with bloatware also).  

A 6th Gen i5 computer with 16 gigs of ram a reasonable size SSD and a HD for $1800 is rather steep.  

I'd only go this route if you want to save time or lack the knowledge to buy parts and put them in a case.  (you can buy a quiet rack mount case without the help of Sweetwater).  And frankly, you can get a Tower system that would be quieter than a rackmount system.  

http://www.silentpcreview.com/
Unknowen
Re: Anyone using a CS400 4u Sweetwater computer? 2017/08/02 19:44:33 (permalink)
wow! I'm sorry for posting in the wrong area. I thought that wanting to know if Sonar would work well with this system was just like asking if midi controllers would work and maybe a bit more relevant then multiple monitors non sense... lol

So this belongs in [Studio]. That's cool! I was a bit confused...  

Hay look,
Unknowen
Re: Anyone using a CS400 4u Sweetwater computer? 2017/08/03 00:22:57 (permalink)
Brian Walton
PCs like this are fine for those that don't know how to buy components and install software.

Otherwise they are drastically overpriced.  The idea they are that much better than an off-the-shelf machine is misleading.  You can get a computer with the same kind of specs from a number of sources for less.  Though you may need to either run a program to get rid of bloatware or do the Win install yourself.  (the Sweetwater system comes with bloatware also).  

A 6th Gen i5 computer with 16 gigs of ram a reasonable size SSD and a HD for $1800 is rather steep.  

I'd only go this route if you want to save time or lack the knowledge to buy parts and put them in a case.  (you can buy a quiet rack mount case without the help of Sweetwater).  And frankly, you can get a Tower system that would be quieter than a rackmount system.  

gad... lol I've installed, built and repaired more computers that I care to remember. You know? When you had to set your IRQs manually on your mother board and components, type all your info for boot-up into your config.sys and autoexe.bat within dos 1.1. ha! until like 04... Then realize that time is more important then shopping for parts, wait for them to ship, hoping they shipped the right parts, buy a full version of windows and spend a week updating said windows to date before you can start installing the software and plugins I will need to install as it is. lol
I like that it can buy it, put it in a rack and use it right next to where I'm recording. I could care less how much it is if I can be creating and recording new music next week with it and not still waiting for parts.
Thanks for the advise just the same.  I'm sure some would rather build a system as it really is plug and play theses days... but I'm too lazy... hum? Was that one of your options for "why buy" one already put together? lol
have a good one! :)

Hay look,
KingsMix
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 498
Re: Anyone using a CS400 4u Sweetwater computer? 2017/08/03 11:25:28 (permalink)
11Dreams
Brian Walton

gad... lol I've installed, built and repaired more computers that I care to remember. You know? When you had to set your IRQs manually on your mother board and components, type all your info for boot-up into your config.sys and autoexe.bat within dos 1.1. ha! until like 04... Then realize that time is more important then shopping for parts, wait for them to ship, hoping they shipped the right parts, buy a full version of windows and spend a week updating said windows to date before you can start installing the software and plugins I will need to install as it is. lol
I like that it can buy it, put it in a rack and use it right next to where I'm recording. I could care less how much it is if I can be creating and recording new music next week with it and not still waiting for parts.
Thanks for the advise just the same.  I'm sure some would rather build a system as it really is plug and play theses days... but I'm too lazy... hum? Was that one of your options for "why buy" one already put together? lol
have a good one! :)

It's really not as complicated as that nowadays....much easier and wayyyy less expensive to build more system for bang for your buck.  Although I do understand that some people find the task daunting or super tedious and time consuming, so nothing wrong with giving computer builders business if that works for you.
JonD
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
Re: Anyone using a CS400 4u Sweetwater computer? 2017/08/03 14:02:59 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby 11Dreams 2017/08/05 03:59:56
KingsMix
... Although I do understand that some people find the task daunting or super tedious and time consuming, so nothing wrong with giving computer builders business if that works for you.

Absolutely. 

The guy who buys all of his PCs at Costco is different from the DIY'er who insists on building his PCs, who is also different from the guy who runs a business along with a busy home life and has maybe two free hours a weekend and doesn't want to spend months of his free time planning and building a PC, who is different from the guy who is all thumbs when it comes to computers but wants a powerful, highly customized DAW PC and the ability to call someone and have them remotely take over the PC when he runs into trouble... (I'm sure I've forgotten other categories of PC buyers, but you're tired of reading this, so hopefully it illustrated the point).

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
stxx
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 406
Re: Anyone using a CS400 4u Sweetwater computer? 2017/08/03 20:28:12 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby 11Dreams 2017/08/05 03:59:21
YEP and its working GREAT!  Im running Win 8.1 with tons of plugins and UAD etc.   AWESOME MACHINE.   I was using an HP Pavillion before, quad core and it also ran great!   Still have it as emergency backup but the CS400 kills it!

Sonar Platinum, RME UFX, UAD 2, Waves, Soundtoys, Fronteir Alphatrack, X-Touch as Contl Srfc,  , Console 1, Sweetwater Creation Station Quad Core Win 8.1, Mackie 824, KRK RP5, AKG 240 MKII, Samson C-Control, Sennheiser, Blue,  AKG, RODE,  UA, Grace, Focusrite, Audient, Midas, ART

Song Portfolio:
https://soundcloud.com/allen-lind/sets/oth-short
Hangdog Cat
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 146
Re: Anyone using a CS400 4u Sweetwater computer? 2017/08/04 13:12:37 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby 11Dreams 2017/08/05 03:56:47
I have a Creation Station CS450v3 (an earlier version of the top of the line CS), and I often stop to consider that it has been one of my best investments in terms of facilitating productivity and minimizing hassles. 

But have them install at least one extra removable drive bay. It comes standard with one bay, and there is room for two more.

Never do more in the morning than you can undo in the afternoon.

Computer: Creation Station CS450 V3 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1275 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 4 Cores, 8 Logical Processors
Windows 10: Latest update
Audio Interface: RME Fireface UFX
soens
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5154
Re: Anyone using a CS400 4u Sweetwater computer? 2017/08/05 02:37:52 (permalink)
I wonder how performance stacks up to "off the shelf" units. Other than the rackmount case, sata and pci slots, my gaming laptop has better specs for a few $$ less (on sale) AND it has a 4K monitor. It has 2 M2 slots and one sata. It's also the most quiet system I've ever seen... erm, heard.
Unknowen
Re: Anyone using a CS400 4u Sweetwater computer? 2017/08/05 03:56:21 (permalink)
soens
I wonder how performance stacks up to "off the shelf" units. Other than the rackmount case, sata and pci slots, my gaming laptop has better specs for a few $$ less (on sale) AND it has a 4K monitor. It has 2 M2 slots and one sata. It's also the most quiet system I've ever seen... erm, heard.

A few years ago I did build a music system for like $600.00 It's still rolling. but it's a tower in a closet. the fans are crazy loud. I used to build Graphic computers and back it was a lot cheaper to build your own. Now days off the shelf is fine for a graphics and DAWs but you need to get the right CPU they are not all the same... They main system I would replace is a 2013 TashShba... (i3 with 4 gigs ram). It does really well until you start adding plugins. multiple tracks and over dubs are fine. I only use AD2 as a drum click. So yes you can get an "off the shelf" but when you can afford it... and LAZY like me Think Large! :) One other item to mention is the audio interface. some use up your CPU faster then others... PEACE!

Hay look,
soens
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5154
Re: Anyone using a CS400 4u Sweetwater computer? 2017/08/05 23:46:59 (permalink)
Performance is important, but for me quiet is more important as my system is in-studio. The last tower I built is as quiet as I could make it but still nowhere near my new laptop. It's so quiet you think it's off. It does get warm when left on several hours but not critically so. The tower's fans put me to sleep after a while.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1