Anyone using a sit/stand adjustable desk?

Author
Genghis
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 827
2016/04/30 15:38:48 (permalink)

Anyone using a sit/stand adjustable desk?

Hi,

This is more of a question for my work desk than for DAW use, but I have been experiencing some hip pain and several (including my Physical Therapist) have suggested the possibility of using a sit/stand desk that raises and lowers for working in a standing position so that I can get away from sitting for 8 hours a day.  Since I don't belong to any home office forums, I thought I'd ask here if anyone has any experience with some of these desks.  I've been looking at offerings from Human Solutions (expensive, but looks nice) and Varidesk.  Any other contenders?  While cost is a factor, stability and ease off use is the primary concern.  I need something big enough for a laptop with docking station, a MS Ergonomic keyboard, mouse, and an extra monitor. 48" would probably do it, but I'm considering a bit larger to have additional space for taking notes on conference calls, etc.

They call 'em fingers, but I've never seen 'em fing. 
My Music is Here
Studio Cat DAW

2 Replies Related Threads

Dave76
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 171
    Re: Anyone using a sit/stand adjustable desk? 2016/05/01 12:19:52 (permalink)
    I've been using a GeekDesk for a few years and love the thing (http://www.geekdesk.com/).  It's a great, sturdy desk with an ample work surface even without considering the adjustable height aspect.  The top is thick enough that you can safely clamp things to the edges and also attach things to the bottom with screws.  I've undermounted a 3M keyboard/mouse tray, a drawer, and a 60" 20 outlet Tripp Lite bench strip and at one point had three monitors attached with clamp-on monitor arms (currently down to just one huge monitor).  I have my PC setup towards one side of the desk and still have ample space on the other end to spread papers out on or do other non-computer work.  

Even without considering any health benefits, adjustable desks are a nice thing to have.  There's something mentally refreshing about the ability to sit or stand while working whenever you feel like it.  As a guitarist, I like to grab a guitar and stand while I'm reading email or documentation or whatever.  

If you are standing on a hard surface, you'll probably want to buy a nice anti-fatigue gel mat to stand on.

Genghis
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 827
    Re: Anyone using a sit/stand adjustable desk? 2016/05/01 12:34:32 (permalink)
    Thanks Dave.  Looks like another good one to research.  They have two sizes, big and huge. LOL. Pricing seems similar to the Human Solution I was looking at, just need to do some good comparisons.

I'll be on a carpeted surface, but I'm thinking the gel mat would still probably be a good idea.  I like to get those office carpet protectors that make a chair easy to roll around on when I'm sitting, so the gel mat would probably good on that for when I'm standing too.

They call 'em fingers, but I've never seen 'em fing. 
    My Music is Here
    Studio Cat DAW
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1