Anyone using large high quality (55-65in) 4K TVs for Sonar? I would like to explore this

Author
Vastman
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2508
2017/06/04 06:23:40 (permalink)

Anyone using large high quality (55-65in) 4K TVs for Sonar? I would like to explore this

67 yrs old, just moved to Idaho and beginning studio upgrades after selling farm in bay area.  My eyesight is poor and after using a couple 28/32 inch monitor/TV for years, I'd like to upgrade to a single large screen. Will also be doing video work next year and the other monitors still have uses.  I know I'll have to upgrade my graphics card and am fine with that.

Haven't found much here or at VI Control but google brings up some positive discussion on the Cubase forum where several folks are using large TVs even with what they call Cubase's scaling issues.

I plan on buying a high quality Samsung or lg C7 in the $2-3500 range (Costco has several and warrenty/exchange is stellar) and am hoping others have explored this with Sonar.
post edited by Vastman - 2017/06/05 01:43:59

Dana
We make the future... Climate Change Music
VastMaschine:SP4L/W10/i74930K/32GB/RME/CAD E100s; The Orchestra! NOVO!/Inspire/BohemianViolin&Cello, ARK1&2,/MinimalCapriccioMaximoSoto/OE1&2, Action&Emotive/Omni2/Tril/RMX/All OrangeTree/Falcon/APE Jugs/Alpha&Bravo/BFD3 & SD3
Gravity/DM307/AEON/DM/Damage/Diva/HZebra/Hive/Diversion/VC4/Serum/Alchemy/blablabla
Spitfire/8DIO/SL/KH/EW/NI; Shred1&2/AGF,G,M&T Torch&Res&Ren/GD-6; Ibanez SR1200&SR505
NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 

28 Replies Related Threads

qhtrvw425
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: Anyone using large high quality (55-65in) 4K TVs for Sonar? I would like to explore th 2017/06/04 09:03:48 (permalink)
    I use 40 inches 4K TV with the Samsung PLS panel. It works properly in Sonar platinum, and also Cubase 9. You can use HiDPI Setting to zoom the DAW, and Sonar also works under the HiDPI. Cubase 9 doesn't support HiDPI, so buttons and images are blurred, but it works anyway.
    One more, RGBW pixel TV isn't suitable for PC. Check pixel pattern, and buy RGB :)
    Vastman
    Re: Anyone using large high quality (55-65in) 4K TVs for Sonar? I would like to explore th 2017/06/05 01:47:37 (permalink)
    Thanks! I have seen a lot of talk about the 40ish inchers but little about the 55 to 65 inchers, which is what I'm considering, especially as they now come with hdmi2. Is there a reason why? 

Dana
    VastMaschine:SP4L/W10/i74930K/32GB/RME/CAD E100s; The Orchestra! NOVO!/Inspire/BohemianViolin&Cello, ARK1&2,/MinimalCapriccioMaximoSoto/OE1&2, Action&Emotive/Omni2/Tril/RMX/All OrangeTree/Falcon/APE Jugs/Alpha&Bravo/BFD3 & SD3
    Gravity/DM307/AEON/DM/Damage/Diva/HZebra/Hive/Diversion/VC4/Serum/Alchemy/blablabla
    Spitfire/8DIO/SL/KH/EW/NI; Shred1&2/AGF,G,M&T Torch&Res&Ren/GD-6; Ibanez SR1200&SR505
    NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
    qhtrvw425
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: Anyone using large high quality (55-65in) 4K TVs for Sonar? I would like to explore th 2017/06/05 03:00:17 (permalink)
    They are 4K TV, so PC recognize them just '4K displays' regardless of the panel size.
    HDMI 2.0 supports the 4K resolution with 60Hz, which is typical monitor's refresh rates. So you must consider the graphic cards that have HDMI 2.0 ports. Geforce gtx9XX, 10XX, Radeon rx4XX, 5XX have HDMI 2.0, but there are some differences between vendors.
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Anyone using large high quality (55-65in) 4K TVs for Sonar? I would like to explore th 2017/06/05 03:10:19 (permalink)
    I wonder about monitor placement
    mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: Anyone using large high quality (55-65in) 4K TVs for Sonar? I would like to explore th 2017/06/05 05:22:38 (permalink)
    That price range seems a little on the high side to me. I got a 55" 4K Smart LG TV in the January time frame and was less than $700. I didn't get too zealous with research, but the "smart" part of it seemed to raise cost a lot (aside from the LED, plasma, etc. of the display itself). In hind sight I would have ditched the "smart" on the TV completely (as well as upscaling), since a Blu-Ray player can do both better than the TV can. If you are going to be hardwired to a graphics card, the same would apply.

Others would have to comment on the resolution, since I have seen some reports that "other than 100%" resolution in Windows can still cause issues. But even at 100%, this will still yield significant more real-estate on a bigger area.

scook's placement comment is something also to seriously consider. The "legs" for a typical TV are not overly sturdy, so the TV could be tipped over by accident fairly easily. Wall-mounts are a better choice for survive-ability, but the also go up in price fairly quickly with more motion enabled, require a very rigid structure to anchor too, and pretty much make the TV stuck in one spot (plus mounting will require 2 people if chosen).

As far as viewing distance, I think you can get to within 3 feet or so of mine and still not get "pixilation" (check that out in person at a store before purchase), but the actual weight of the unit may be the part you want to take into consideration most (check that unit weight, and realize it is very awkward to manage solo).

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    Vastman
    Re: Anyone using large high quality (55-65in) 4K TVs for Sonar? I would like to explore th 2017/06/05 05:35:00 (permalink)
    scook
    I wonder about monitor placement

Hi, Scook!  I know this has been mentioned as an issue before.

I Just ordered a pair of Genelec 8340A monitors to replace my KRKs and plan on wall mounting the big screen above and behind my current monitors, angled down a bit... I've seen this done in some studio photos.  The bigger screen should result in larger fonts/images so being several feet behind everything will work.  I assume the OLED clarity of the newest  LG C7P or Samsung's which is stunning, would scale well enough in the larger screen to b useable. Mounting them shouldn't be a problem as the LG is. 1.8" thick and only weighs 50 lbs.  These screens have amazing color depth and clarity.

However the dirth of info leaves me flying a bit blind, DAW wise.  I'm not a technweeny by any means.  Yet I finally have funds from selling the farm to finally splurge on better visual tools and would love to move Sonar onto a large screen and am trying to get a sense of when "big" becomes too big and avoid returning things...
    post edited by Vastman - 2017/06/05 07:20:41

Dana
    NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
    Vastman
    Re: Anyone using large high quality (55-65in) 4K TVs for Sonar? I would like to explore th 2017/06/05 07:59:50 (permalink)
    mettelus
    That price range seems a little on the high side to me. I got a 55" 4K Smart LG TV in the January time frame and was less than $700. I didn't get too zealous with research, but the "smart" part of it seemed to raise cost a lot (aside from the LED, plasma, etc. of the display itself). In hind sight I would have ditched the "smart" on the TV completely (as well as upscaling), since a Blu-Ray player can do both better than the TV can. If you are going to be hardwired to a graphics card, the same would apply.

Others would have to comment on the resolution, since I have seen some reports that "other than 100%" resolution in Windows can still cause issues. But even at 100%, this will still yield significant more real-estate on a bigger area.

scook's placement comment is something also to seriously consider. The "legs" for a typical TV are not overly sturdy, so the TV could be tipped over by accident fairly easily. Wall-mounts are a better choice for survive-ability, but the also go up in price fairly quickly with more motion enabled, require a very rigid structure to anchor too, and pretty much make the TV stuck in one spot (plus mounting will require 2 people if chosen).

As far as viewing distance, I think you can get to within 3 feet or so of mine and still not get "pixilation" (check that out in person at a store before purchase), but the actual weight of the unit may be the part you want to take into consideration most (check that unit weight, and realize it is very awkward to manage solo).

Yo! Mettelus....
    So you are using the 55 inch with Sonar??? How does it work and how are YOU using it? 
    Tilt/motion wall mounts are only 125 for good ones and I'll use them.  Need to rise above the current monitors!
    I'll be at least 4 to maybe 6 feet back as I'll have my desk, keyboards/other dohickys separating.  I'll be stuck in a decent size bedroom for awhile but a huge  cathedral walled addition call "the sunroom" (currently full of mom's stuff that needs donating) is my final destination down the road for full recording/video production/green screening.

The pricey displays are a luxury but have full hdmi2, and the OLED's are just amazing, they have loads of inputs/outputs, can be viewed off angle, and don't blur at edges when you are close... and they'll b useful for video production if I'm every to effectively address climate change via youtube.  Finally, and believe it or not, it would be a dream come true, watching "the expanse" on such a screen. Yea, I'm that much of a space cowboy!  

Then again, if you're getting great results with yours, maybe I'll rethink the top of the line and get a Virus TI2 or the new Arturia MatrixBrute, both of which I'm drooling over!  In my 66 years I've never had discretionary funds like this and have a modest life... VERY frugal... so it's not really about the money for a change... but don't wanna be stupid either.

Dana
    NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
    batsbrew
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re: Anyone using large high quality (55-65in) 4K TVs for Sonar? I would like to explore th 2017/06/05 14:30:32 (permalink)
    i recently purchased a 49" 4K tv for a small living room,
    works great.....
    unless you are sitting more than 10' away,
    anything larger is too much.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

SERecords
    • Total Posts : 19
    Re: Anyone using large high quality (55-65in) 4K TVs for Sonar? I would like to explore th 2017/06/05 16:05:37 (permalink)
    Welcome to Idaho!!
    From a fellow Idahoan Sonar user
    mettelus
    Re: Anyone using large high quality (55-65in) 4K TVs for Sonar? I would like to explore th 2017/06/05 17:40:21 (permalink)
    Vastman

So you are using the 55 inch with Sonar??? How does it work and how are YOU using it?

Hey Dana, just to be clear I am not using the TV with my computer, so I do not have specific feedback for use with SONAR, sorry :(

I remember seeing BobF had posted buying a 4K display to use with SONAR (not sure what size), so he might be someone to specifically PM if another doesn't pop in here for you.

Unless you are going to watch movies, etc., from your computer, the OLED may be extreme overkill for your purposes; but you would know that better. SONAR itself is not know for "amazing contrast" or the need for high refresh rates.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    Vastman
    Re: Anyone using large high quality (55-65in) 4K TVs for Sonar? I would like to explore th 2017/06/05 18:08:59 (permalink)
    Hi Travis! I'm in Post Falls, next to Coeur d'Alene... Hope we're neighbors!

Dana
    NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
    Vastman
    Re: Anyone using large high quality (55-65in) 4K TVs for Sonar? I would like to explore th 2017/06/05 18:14:51 (permalink)
    mettelus
    Vastman

Hey Dana, just to be clear I am not using the TV with my computer, so I do not have specific feedback for use with SONAR, sorry :(

I remember seeing BobF had posted buying a 4K display to use with SONAR (not sure what size), so he might be someone to specifically PM if another doesn't pop in here for you.

Unless you are going to watch movies, etc., from your computer, the OLED may be extreme overkill for your purposes; but you would know that better. SONAR itself is not know for "amazing contrast" or the need for high refresh rates.

Hey Met! My thinking on OLED is it can't hurt and will be better for working on video down the road... Which I've always wanted to get into and now have the funds and time to explore! Oh, and yea, watching The Expanse would be amazing...

Dana
    NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
    mettelus
    Re: Anyone using large high quality (55-65in) 4K TVs for Sonar? I would like to explore th 2017/06/05 21:50:44 (permalink)
    Gotcha, if you intend to do video editing in the future, then you will notice a difference with the OLED.

A couple quick threads @4K TVs used with SONAR:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3432439
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3556344

The first one has quite a few helpful posts in it (and you can see others from here who use them). One comment that caught my eye in that thread was "The 49" tv is overkill," but this is also dependent on how far away you will be/not wear glasses while using. I got lasik done almost 20 years ago now, so forget the "blind as a bat" days; but if I hadn't gotten that done I could probably sit 3 feet from a 65" TV and be happy as a clam

SERecords
    • Total Posts : 19
    Re: Anyone using large high quality (55-65in) 4K TVs for Sonar? I would like to explore th 2017/06/05 21:55:42 (permalink)
    Dang it! I'm at the other end of the state where they filmed the movie classic "Napoleon Dynamite" - 6 miles from the Utah border.
    Vastman
    Re: Anyone using large high quality (55-65in) 4K TVs for Sonar? I would like to explore th 2017/06/05 23:13:00 (permalink)
    Oh well... Sir, that's aways!
    Mettelus... Thanks 4 all ur thoughts and the links... Yes, it's all relative regarding size! And my eyes yearn for bigger and the latest tech is in the 55 to 65 range. As no one seems to have posted about the new stuff yet, I'll just go with my gut and the important thing is... They work!

Will likely do this once I get the new studio up and running full speed and have decided on graphics card and have given some thought to video production tools.

Dana
    NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
    BobF
    • Total Posts : 8124
    Re: Anyone using large high quality (55-65in) 4K TVs for Sonar? I would like to explore th 2017/06/08 13:16:46 (permalink)
    If you use this calculator ( http://kingscalculator.com/en/other-calculators/pixel-density-calculator ) it will help you size your 4K display to prevent having to use Windows scaling.  A properly sized 4K display is a thing of beauty as long as you leave scaling at 100% (1:1).

My 4K is a 43" VIZIO designed to be used for TeeVee, PeeCee and casting from mobile devices.  As far as the display is concerned, it doesn't matter where the signal is coming from.

Keep in mind the comment above about monitor speaker placement.  With a 43" display, mine ended up pushed wider.  The result is the sweet spot is back a little further, or your spread is a bit wider than standard.  Workable, but something to consider when putting it all together.

Bob  --
    Angels are crying because truth has died ...
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    --
    Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
    Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
    Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

Vastman
    Re: Anyone using large high quality (55-65in) 4K TVs for Sonar? I would like to explore th 2017/06/08 20:55:07 (permalink)
    Thanks, Bob... I guess I'm misstating the scaling issue... What I meant to convey is that for me the larger screen {55 in } will spread the 4k over the larger surface area which is great for my 67 year old eyes. Placing it further away where my eyesight excels is ideal

My thought on the new OLEDs is they have fantastic edge to edge clarity and off center viewing. Don't plan on "scaling" windows.

Thanks for all your thoughts! New studio setup is beginning to take shape as I just received my mega Sweetwater shipment of things I only dreamed of before!

Glad I didn't order a computer upgrade given Intel's recent announcement! Plus, on the video front I seem to be falling in love with final cut X, and might actually add my first Apple products to my life (never thought this would occur)

Dana
    NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
    BobF
    • Total Posts : 8124
    Re: Anyone using large high quality (55-65in) 4K TVs for Sonar? I would like to explore th 2017/06/09 12:23:15 (permalink)
    I only mentioned scaling because I've seen a lot of complaint about things being too small with 4K, so people up the scaling in Display Settings.  The results aren't pretty.

In your case, going to 55", I doubt things will be too small.  But you might overshoot to too large.  That's where the PPI calculator comes in handy.

Using the calculator it's pretty easy to figure out what size display you need to increase the physical size of screen objects by whatever percentage you desire.

Bob  --
    Angels are crying because truth has died ...
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    --
    Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
    Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
    Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

Vastman
    Re: Anyone using large high quality (55-65in) 4K TVs for Sonar? I would like to explore th 2017/06/10 04:22:13 (permalink)
    Thanks Bob... before I make the move I'll definitely do that!

Dana
    NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
    Zo
    Max Output Level: -25 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5036
    Re: Anyone using large high quality (55-65in) 4K TVs for Sonar? I would like to explore th 2017/06/10 04:37:26 (permalink)
    Hi Dana , be sure to get mat display , and beware , extra resolution means you have to get bigger size to get confortable ....
    think maybe lower resolution but two screens ... i have 4 k resolution on my dell laptop and even close its a no go , i down scal ( you can feel the lost of crispness in my youtube video now versus when don on my elite book hd)

With the screenstes and x ray i really don t feel the need for two screen or extra resolution , may be a small screen for metering suites ...( you can even use your ipad like i do with an app called Duet)

Take your time

For sale  (PM me) : transfert ilok included
    Eventide Ultrachannel make offers
    Softube Summit EQ
    IK Neve 1081 , Neve precision Comp/Lim
    EastWest Goshtwriter
    Soundforge Pro 12

Zo
    Max Output Level: -25 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5036
    Re: Anyone using large high quality (55-65in) 4K TVs for Sonar? I would like to explore th 2017/06/10 04:37:29 (permalink)
    Hi Dana , be sure to get mat display , and beware , extra resolution means you have to get bigger size to get confortable ....
    think maybe lower resolution but two screens ... i have 4 k resolution on my dell laptop and even close its a no go , i down scal ( you can feel the lost of crispness in my youtube video now versus when don on my elite book hd)

With the screenstes and x ray i really don t feel the need for two screen or extra resolution , may be a small screen for metering suites ...( you can even use your ipad like i do with an app called Duet)

Take your time

For sale  (PM me) : transfert ilok included
    Eventide Ultrachannel make offers
    Softube Summit EQ
    IK Neve 1081 , Neve precision Comp/Lim
    EastWest Goshtwriter
    Soundforge Pro 12

GaryMedia
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 217
    Re: Anyone using large high quality (55-65in) 4K TVs for Sonar? I would like to explore th 2017/06/10 15:32:32 (permalink)
    Just to chime in here, I recently installed a 40-inch Samsung 4K screen (60Hz, 4:4:4 chroma subsampling) on my Sonar machine (2010 Mac Pro, Win7 Pro x64) to replace my 30-inch Apple Cinema screen.  Overall I'd say it was a baby step forward.  Here's why:

My working distance is 45-inches away due to the placement of my M32 mixer between me and the screen.  I was running the 30-inch (2560x1600) at 125% XP-scaling in Win7.  For my 60+ year-old eyes, it was right on the edge of tolerable for reading track names and the control bar.  

When I installed the 40-inch Samsung (3840x2160) I tried the 'Vista' style of scaling, and a mere 110% in Win7 was nicely visible but the horizontal 'gain' control in the track view would not work correctly.   Went back to the 125% XP-scaling and everything was about the same marginal discomfort level as the 30-inch.  As I type this, I'm using the re-purposed 30-inch Cinema at 125% on a Win10 machine at 32-inches viewing distance and my eyes are relaxed and happy.  

I may re-visit the unsupported use of Win10 in the 2010 Mac Pro and play with its superior video scaling.  I'm going slowly back into Win10 on Mac Pro because it was on an SSD that hadn't been booted since December 2016.  When I tried it two weeks ago, the Anniversary Edition update behaved like a raging bull with a hand grenade.  It destroyed my Yosemite partition, and broke all the permissions on my primary *and* backup data drives so that Win7 saw nothing at all when it was afterward booted.  I spent 72 solid computing hours restoring everything back, so as you may imagine, the "once burned, twice shy" rule applies here.  

Pertinent to your decision, the working distance is a critical decision.  If your eyes are at a distance approximately equal to the diagonal screen dimension, then i think you're going to find that 4k UHD is a challenge to read text at 100% (no upward scaling).  Closer than that, you'll have the "front-row-at-the-movies" needing to move your head to see all the screen real estate.

CbB Win10 | Mac Pro 12-core 3.33GHz/48GB | TCL 55" 4K UHD | 480GB SSD | 6TB HDD RAID-5 array| 1.5TB SSD RAID-0 array | Midas M32 | 2x Audient ASP800 |  UAD-2 Duo PCIe | Adam A7X.
    http://www.tedlandstudio.com/articles
    Vastman
    Re: Anyone using large high quality (55-65in) 4K TVs for Sonar? I would like to explore th 2017/06/11 07:39:49 (permalink)
    Hi Gary! Sounds frustrating! Personally I don't mind head scrolling as I do this already with multiple monitors and jumping to 55 inch yields significantly larger fonts at 4k with no scaling. Surprised no one's gone there on the forum! Will have to seriously think this thru as my new home  actually has a huge room (currently filled with family overflow) which might even handily 65 in, yielding even bigger fonts and allowing further placemet from the wall mount which will be better, spearker placement anyways!

I'll  report back once I've got video production sorted, which may entail finally adding my first Apple products to my life! Just love final cut X's  modern editing tools like the magnetic timeline and it handles my new GH5's 4k/60fps output. All of these will be the next big upgrade package and need to work together! May even learn LogicPro just to get my hands on the new Alchemy!

Dana
    NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
    CedricM
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 128
    Re: Anyone using large high quality (55-65in) 4K TVs for Sonar? I would like to explore th 2017/06/20 21:04:57 (permalink)
    For what it's worth, My experience with my iiyama 40" 4K monitor (not tv), in front of which I work at least 10 h a day.
    losguy
    Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5506
    Re: Anyone using large high quality (55-65in) 4K TVs for Sonar? I would like to explore th 2017/06/21 00:46:08 (permalink)
    GaryMedia
    Just to chime in here, I recently installed a 40-inch Samsung 4K screen (60Hz, 4:4:4 chroma subsampling) ...

Amid all of the great info Gary gave on scaling, size, and distance, I didn't want this little spec to go by unnoticed. Regardless of resolution, ensuring 4:4:4 chroma subsampling will save you from lots of trial/error when hooking up a TV as a PC monitor. Anything lower and text will be ghosted, which for me is a no-go from the starting gate.

Psalm 30:12
    All pure waves converge at the Origin
    Vastman
    Re: Anyone using large high quality (55-65in) 4K TVs for Sonar? I would like to explore th 2017/06/21 17:45:58 (permalink)
    Thanks, los great info, especially as I'll be doing video work and chroma key
    post edited by Vastman - 2017/06/21 21:00:12

Dana
    NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
    losguy
    Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5506
    Re: Anyone using large high quality (55-65in) 4K TVs for Sonar? I would like to explore th 2017/06/21 19:01:31 (permalink)
    @Vastman you bet. For those of you who want to be sure, you can take the torture image posted in this blog and if if every line is clear, then you're good to go.

Like the videos say, chroma subsampling (anything lower than N:N:N) is an easy way for manufacturers to cheap out on the display chipsets, because compressed video (like MP4 and QAM TV) is imperceptibly degraded by it.

On Edit, NB: While you're torturing the display, you may also want to check all supported resolutions and frequency settings. At the current stage of the game, some TVs could kick in subsampling of 4K at the higher refresh rates, so watch out!

Psalm 30:12
    All pure waves converge at the Origin
    filtersweep
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 194
    Re: Anyone using large high quality (55-65in) 4K TVs for Sonar? I would like to explore th 2017/07/07 01:37:12 (permalink)
    Very interesting discussion. Cant wait to hear what Vastman ultimately chooses. I dont have a 4k monitor but my understanding is that a 60in 4k would be essentially equivalent to 4 1920x1080 monitors. If I opened Sonar in this environment (no scaling) wouldnt it just fill 25% of the screen real estate. I get that being able to drag various views to other parts of the screen would allow for more on screen info (on a lesser scale I do that now with 2 HD monitors). What I do not get is the assertion that fonts (i take that to mean individual characters, not actually font sizes) would be bigger. It seems that, without scaling, one would need to sit at comfortable viewing distance for a 30 in HD screen. That results in the "front row" problem when the screen is 60 in.. On an HD monitor, if you zoom the scale, the characters obviously get bigger but some of the image will disappear off the screen edge and you'll get drag bars. The 4k will allow you to zoom without going "off screen" and without drag bars. Thats a big advantage - but only if scaling works well.
    Brian

Sonar Platinum (lifetime). Kurzweil PC3X. Native Intruments S61. Native Instruments Maschine Micro Mk2, Roland OctaCapture. JBL 4328 monitors and 4312 sub. Windows 10. Intel 6700X, 32 gB RAM,  3 Crucial SSD (250/500/500). Komplete 10, Ample Sound SG, AAS Lounge Lizard/Strum/Strings/Chromo/UltraAnalog/Tass, Addictive Drums 2, a few others.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1