Anyone willing to help me out on a mix?

Author
eternal85
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 337
2007/11/26 15:29:12 (permalink)

Anyone willing to help me out on a mix?

I need some advice. I have a new song I am working on, and I am getting some heavy clipping (I presume it to be) at 1 part of it. If someone would like to put a little more "professional" ear to it and maybe identify what I am doing wrong, that would be awesome. It is the part of the song when the double bass kick comes in over the guitars. I don't want to give away too much yet of what I have done so far as to not taint anyones listening of it.

http://www.fragilesyndrome.com/songs/natural_selection.mp3

Let me know what you guys think, and what would help.

I'll say this much
5 layers of guitars
Drums all are single layer, with each sound divided into a different audio track, with compression and Boost 11 on each drum track.

Let me know!

3 Replies Related Threads

skullsession
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1765
    RE: Anyone willing to help me out on a mix? 2007/11/26 15:54:15 (permalink)
    I'm not on the best speaker system where I am currently listening, but what I'm hearing is in the lower frequencies that are a common buildup problem area for palm muting distorted guitars. Especially for simulated guitar tracks. These tend to build up and multiply....and it's commonly right where the kick drum body likes to live.

A creative notch in the guitar EQ would probably resolve your issue. It's probably a fairly narrow band that is spiked when the two sounds happen together.

Overall, though....I dig this track....FAT and BOLD!! Cool stuff!

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
    eternal85
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 337
    RE: Anyone willing to help me out on a mix? 2007/11/26 16:04:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: skullsession

I'm not on the best speaker system where I am currently listening, but what I'm hearing is in the lower frequencies that are a common buildup problem area for palm muting distorted guitars. Especially for simulated guitar tracks. These tend to build up and multiply....and it's commonly right where the kick drum body likes to live.

A creative notch in the guitar EQ would probably resolve your issue. It's probably a fairly narrow band that is spiked when the two sounds happen together.

Overall, though....I dig this track....FAT and BOLD!! Cool stuff!

Awesome! Thanks for the feedback. Feel free to check out the site, www.fragilesyndrome.com for more songs like it.

The thing is though I have a low-pass filter EQ on all the guitar tracks, rolled off starting at 40Hz, perhaps I should move that up to the 80 or 100Hz range?
    skullsession
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1765
    RE: Anyone willing to help me out on a mix? 2007/11/26 16:15:20 (permalink)
    I'm sure you mean HI PASS.....right?

And, yes....you might be surprised how far you can roll that off and still get great sounding guitar sitting in your track.

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1