Anyone with Kontakt jBridge Sonar 32 bit loading issues?

Author
noiseboy
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 419
2010/07/25 15:50:34 (permalink)

Anyone with Kontakt jBridge Sonar 32 bit loading issues?

The excellent João from jBridge has been helping me with a problem I have, but we're kinda drawing a blank.  I thought I'd post here to see if anyone has a similar issue - it's quite specific.

THE PROBLEM

Since installing Kontakt 4, I'm experiencing trouble loading Kontakt instruments in either K3.5 or K4.1 when using jBridge.  Usually the system will hang for a while before loading, frequently stop while loading, and hang again at the end.  Sometimes the system crashes out, sometimes it gets there eventually (and then behaviour seems normal, though I have had some playback glitching too).  Loading and performance is completely normal when not using jBridge but within Sonar, or when in standalone.  Tried all the options within jBridge, but nothing seems to fix it.  Occurs the same whether or not using the new background loading function with Kontakt.  No disc or CPU activity while hanging.  The problem occurs on otherwise blank projects, on the first instrument to be loaded (and subsequent ones).

THE SYSTEM CONFIG

Windows XP 32 bit SP2
Sonar 8.5.3
jBridge (latest version)
Kontakt 3.5 / Kontakt 4.1 32 bit 8 out dlls
4GB RAM, using 3GB switch

Before anyone asks, am using jBridge to maximise RAM within 32 bit.

Not so much asking for ideas for a solution, just doing a trawl to see if anyone else has the same symptoms, and if they do what a common element might be, so as to help João diagnose this.

13 Replies Related Threads

John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re:Anyone with Kontakt jBridge Sonar 32 bit loading issues? 2010/07/25 15:59:43 (permalink)
    Why use the 64 bit Kontakt?

Best
    John
    noiseboy
    Re:Anyone with Kontakt jBridge Sonar 32 bit loading issues? 2010/07/25 16:22:01 (permalink)
    I'm not!  32 bit, 8 out dlls.
    John
    Forum Host
    Re:Anyone with Kontakt jBridge Sonar 32 bit loading issues? 2010/07/25 17:26:31 (permalink)
    Then why use Jbridge? I'm confused. You are on XP 32 bit, right?

Best
    John
    strikinglyhandsome1
    Max Output Level: -3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7224
    Re:Anyone with Kontakt jBridge Sonar 32 bit loading issues? 2010/07/25 18:07:51 (permalink)
    It's for this reason, John

or even bridging 32bit plugins to 32bit hosts, allowing to overcome the memory limitations of a single 32bit process

John
    Forum Host
    Re:Anyone with Kontakt jBridge Sonar 32 bit loading issues? 2010/07/25 18:13:45 (permalink)
    I thought as much but with a total of 4 GB I don't see the point.

Best
    John
    A1MixMan
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1706
    Re:Anyone with Kontakt jBridge Sonar 32 bit loading issues? 2010/07/25 18:27:27 (permalink)
    I have the solution to your problem. Go 64bit and be done with it. :-0

A1
    noiseboy
    Re:Anyone with Kontakt jBridge Sonar 32 bit loading issues? 2010/07/26 04:51:03 (permalink)
    Makes a HUGE difference in 32 bit John - Sonar craps out at around 1.8gb, I've been able to get over 3gb using VE Pro or jBridge.  That's over 40 orchestral instruments in my template!

Sadly can't go 64 bit yet cos the PC also has to run the Pyramix DAW which is strictly 32 bit only.
    John
    Forum Host
    Re:Anyone with Kontakt jBridge Sonar 32 bit loading issues? 2010/07/26 12:48:37 (permalink)
    Sadly can't go 64 bit yet cos the PC also has to run the Pyramix DAW which is strictly 32 bit only.
    It should run just fine in 64 bits.

Best
    John
    noiseboy
    Re:Anyone with Kontakt jBridge Sonar 32 bit loading issues? 2010/07/26 17:33:07 (permalink)
    John

It should run just fine in 64 bits.

Nope.  From http://www.merging.com/pages/pcconfig:

All versions of Windows operating systems mentioned are 32-bit. Pyramix is currently not compatible with 64-bit versions of Windows operating systems.

I don't mind that no-one has commented whether or not they've ever experienced anything similar - I take it that they haven't, then!  It's just kinda funny that often I seem to post a problem on the Sonar forum and get three pages of "why on Earth are you doing it like that?" before it fizzles out with an "oh, ok" and the problem untouched....

Tried to anticipate it in the OP this time, but obviously failed! 
    John
    Forum Host
    Re:Anyone with Kontakt jBridge Sonar 32 bit loading issues? 2010/07/26 17:55:17 (permalink)
    Even CW will say certain versions of Sonar will not run in some OSs. But many users have run those version in those OSs. You really wont know for sure unless you try.

Most of what I have on this machine is not suppose to run in Vista Ultimate 64 yet they do. Odd isn't it?

As to the forum saying that is not the way to do something well you asked the forum answered. No one said you will always get an answer you will like.

BTW if memory is important to you then wouldn't using a wrapper use memory that could be better allocated to the plugin or program rather then the wrapper?

Best
    John
    noiseboy
    Re:Anyone with Kontakt jBridge Sonar 32 bit loading issues? 2010/07/27 00:59:42 (permalink)
    John

Even CW will say certain versions of Sonar will not run in some OSs. But many users have run those version in those OSs. You really wont know for sure unless you try.

Most of what I have on this machine is not suppose to run in Vista Ultimate 64 yet they do. Odd isn't it?

As to the forum saying that is not the way to do something well you asked the forum answered. No one said you will always get an answer you will like.

BTW if memory is important to you then wouldn't using a wrapper use memory that could be better allocated to the plugin or program rather then the wrapper?

Well, put it this way - I'm part of a team that uses Pyramix day to day professionally, and not a single one is running 64 bit or will even consider it until it is officially supported.  We all know that it's a great program but the specs not to be trifled with - goodness knows its hard enough tracking problems in Pyramix when you rigidly adhere to the specs.  Merging have said 64 bit support will come, but it's still a year away... I don't consider my knowledge greater than theirs!  When you need it for your job with unmoveable deadlines, it needs to be totally reliable.

Not sure what you mean by the third para - as I said, I don't mind at all that the question hasn't been directly answered because that does effectively answer the question.  Look at my OP - I think it's clear enough, but every reply has questioned my methods rather than answering the question (even with a simple "no problems here with a similar setup").  Again, that's ok - not having a hissy fit or anything, just an observation!  In this case, it looks like very few people use a setup like mine cos most can go 64 bit or they don't need the memory so much or perhaps don't know the benefits, so that's cool.... just doing a quick info trawl.

The jbridge wrapper uses around 30mb, and there is an option in jBridge to share the host - so you lose 30mb but gain over 1GB.  Honestly, it really DOES make sense if you want to use all your RAM in 32 bit land!  VE Pro works in a similar way - as I say my orchestral template is well over 40 instruments using Kontakt and Play, and I still have well over 1GB to load specific ones for a project.  I'm sticking with VE Pro for now while I'm having the jBridge issues which is proven and works, but ultimately jBridge would be neater and more flexible for me.

Freddie H
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3617
    Re:Anyone with Kontakt jBridge Sonar 32 bit loading issues? 2010/07/27 10:47:07 (permalink)
    noiseboy

The excellent João from jBridge has been helping me with a problem I have, but we're kinda drawing a blank.  I thought I'd post here to see if anyone has a similar issue - it's quite specific.

THE PROBLEM

Since installing Kontakt 4, I'm experiencing trouble loading Kontakt instruments in either K3.5 or K4.1 when using jBridge.  Usually the system will hang for a while before loading, frequently stop while loading, and hang again at the end.  Sometimes the system crashes out, sometimes it gets there eventually (and then behaviour seems normal, though I have had some playback glitching too).  Loading and performance is completely normal when not using jBridge but within Sonar, or when in standalone.  Tried all the options within jBridge, but nothing seems to fix it.  Occurs the same whether or not using the new background loading function with Kontakt.  No disc or CPU activity while hanging.  The problem occurs on otherwise blank projects, on the first instrument to be loaded (and subsequent ones).

THE SYSTEM CONFIG

Windows XP 32 bit SP2
    Sonar 8.5.3
    jBridge (latest version)
    Kontakt 3.5 / Kontakt 4.1 32 bit 8 out dlls
    4GB RAM, using 3GB switch

Before anyone asks, am using jBridge to maximise RAM within 32 bit.

Not so much asking for ideas for a solution, just doing a trawl to see if anyone else has the same symptoms, and if they do what a common element might be, so as to help João diagnose this.

My friend!

Upgrade to Windows 7 x64bit OS instead then take all this time doing pointless work around about features that already exist and work much better in SONAR x64bit and Windows 7 x64bit then on old Xp32.

Its like use a banana to hit a nail when you can use a hammer...

Regards
    Freddie

-Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds. -It really matters!
    noiseboy
    Re:Anyone with Kontakt jBridge Sonar 32 bit loading issues? 2010/07/27 16:30:32 (permalink)
    Freddie H

My friend!  

Upgrade to Windows 7 x64bit OS instead then take all this time doing pointless work around about features that already exist and work much better in SONAR x64bit and Windows 7 x64bit then on old Xp32.

Its like use a banana to hit a nail when you can use a hammer...

Regards
    Freddie

Ha ha ha ha!  Very good....

(just in case you were serious, read the other posts in the thread....)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1