Anyway To Reverse Part Of An Audio Clip?

Author
jamester
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1481
2005/06/20 00:42:31 (permalink)

Anyway To Reverse Part Of An Audio Clip?

I have a guitar melody I recorded, it's basically the same phrase played twice. I'd like to make the first one play in reverse. Can't seem to find a way to do this in P5, and there's no "hot-button" to send a clip to Sound Forge like Sonar has (P5 wishlist...). I've split the clip, thinking it's at least a step in the right direction (isolating the part I want to flip). But that's as far as I can get.

Any thoughts??? Thanks...

Purrrfect Audio DAW built by Jim Roseberry
Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
Reaper, Live, Sound Forge, Pyro

18 Replies Related Threads

slohanjo
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 48
    RE: Anyway To Reverse Part Of An Audio Clip? 2005/06/20 01:32:09 (permalink)
    Hey Jamester..
    Nice/good question.. seems that the ability to split it.. well, yes.. is a step in the right direct..
    then.. select.. now to Export/import? into Sound Forge to twist it around.. Bring the graduate back.. I'd certainly like the answer to that.
    a save as (?)..or?

slo
    Why not just reverse (playing)the guitar chords?
    tradersx
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 20
    RE: Anyway To Reverse Part Of An Audio Clip? 2005/06/20 02:49:31 (permalink)
    I'm with you, this is a remarkable piece of software but in future updates I'd love to see more ability to manipulate audio clips, reverse
    l and r invert, cut up etc........won't be too long I'm sure.
    wz061s
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 385
    RE: Anyway To Reverse Part Of An Audio Clip? 2005/06/20 03:14:13 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jamester

I have a guitar melody I recorded, it's basically the same phrase played twice. I'd like to make the first one play in reverse. Can't seem to find a way to do this in P5, and there's no "hot-button" to send a clip to Sound Forge like Sonar has (P5 wishlist...). I've split the clip, thinking it's at least a step in the right direction (isolating the part I want to flip). But that's as far as I can get.

Any thoughts??? Thanks...

jamester,

You could drop your part into the cyclone DXi and reverse it there. I think you need to export the audio clip to a .wav file and then load into cyclone unless someone on the board knows a way to drag the file in to cyclone from P5 directly...
    post edited by wz061s - 2005/06/20 03:18:53
    DarkSynergy
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: Anyway To Reverse Part Of An Audio Clip? 2005/06/20 03:39:52 (permalink)
    Here is something very simple. You have Windows Right?

Go to start
    =Programs
    =Accesories
    =Entertainment
    =sound recorder

In sound recorder just open the wav file and reverse it. =)
    post edited by DarkSynergy - 2005/06/20 03:43:11
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Anyway To Reverse Part Of An Audio Clip? 2005/06/20 06:10:16 (permalink)
    I'd like to make the first one play in reverse.
    You could also use the DS864 or Velocity samplers for the reverse. Let's see: drag & drop from Dimension, but not to (AFAIK). Import/Export is possible. You might be able to save a step by doing an interim Save of the project, then navigate to the Audio Folder within the Open Folder dialog of one of the DXis mentioned. HTH
    techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: Anyway To Reverse Part Of An Audio Clip? 2005/06/20 07:54:58 (permalink)
    How about exporting the clip to .wav and then use Sound Forge to setup the meta data for looping. Then bring the loopable clip into Dimension as a sample and use MIDI in Project5 to trigger it in Dimension.

See this Wiki: http://p5.sonarama.com/p5/index.php/DimensionalTips_The_Loop_Wave

I wonder if the forward/reversing of the loop playback can be controlled via MIDI using a CC? oh, man...that could get wild!
    SuperGreenX
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 973
    RE: Anyway To Reverse Part Of An Audio Clip? 2005/06/20 14:27:54 (permalink)
    In Acid you can just select a piece and press U to reverse it. Its sooo great . I would love for P5 to get more into clip modifying (outside of the pattern editor). If that and some more bussing options were added, I'd have no use for Acid anymore.

pwal
    Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2909
    RE: Anyway To Reverse Part Of An Audio Clip? 2005/06/20 14:51:34 (permalink)
    you can also use VSampler to reverse a zone - but all of this requires exporting/importing...

on a similar 'would-like-to-have' tip, I'd like the interface to be drag'n'drop compliant from Windows Explorer, in a similar way to Sonar

p
    René
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Anyway To Reverse Part Of An Audio Clip? 2005/06/20 14:56:11 (permalink)
    Definitely we'll need a fast way to reverse clips. It's a common trick, how could those guys not think of it ts-ts.

Ok, I have this workaround which will allow the job done. Not straight, but it works:

1- Once you got the audio clip you want reversed, right click on it and hit Ctrl-L to grooveclipize it (that's not a word is it?)
    2- Select 'Export to WAV file' from the Editor Pattern menu. Enter a name for the wav file.

You can now reverse the clip copy it in SF and bring it back to P5, or:
    Let's say you named it 'ClipToReverse.wav'.

3- Create a text file in the same folder where the wav is, rename it to .sfz and write this inside:

<region> sample=ClipToReverse.wav direction=reverse

Then drag-and-drop the .sfz inside Dimension. No editing is needed, and you can now even play and process your reversed clip. Hope this helps.

-René

zipdigital
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 218
    RE: Anyway To Reverse Part Of An Audio Clip? 2005/06/20 16:59:14 (permalink)
    Is it too soon to start looking for features to add to P5 v2.02? =p Sound manipulation would be wonderful, and I'm surprised I haven't wanted it yet.

So far the simplest method I've used it loading into velocity and using the reverse option - I have only needed to reverse short clips like cymbols or snares (I use a reversed snare to lead in to an actual snare hit a lot). I'm not sure how well a long clip will work using this method though.

-Sol

"If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside." Robert X. Cringely
    Heliotrope68
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 54
    RE: Anyway To Reverse Part Of An Audio Clip? 2005/06/20 18:16:32 (permalink)
    I swear by E-phonics "Retro-Delay" - do a quick search in effects at KVRaudio for the link.
    This has alot of great tweaking options.
    One of which is a reverse delay - you could try slapping that on a track and automating the send level for a similar effect also .
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Anyway To Reverse Part Of An Audio Clip? 2005/06/20 18:38:31 (permalink)
    loading into velocity and using the reverse option ... I'm not sure how well a long clip will work using this method though.
    Really well, up to an apparent 60 sec. limitation (shades of Groove Player/1.5). You can split up a longer sample and spread it out over the 18 pads for even greater control, and trigger the sequence with MIDI notes. The only pain with long audio is in waiting for the click-on automatic preview to play through in the Open dialog. Once the sample is in Velocity, though, you can truncate the playback with a quick CCW twist of the End knob in the Sample Edit Controls.

You can shift the Start time (often 'dead space in a reversed sample) and change the End knob [think sample length with this one] in increments as fine as a thousandth of a second when adjusted in conjunction with the Shift key.

Just to clarify: we are talking about samples that actually have the data reversed, not simply a gradual increase in volume. You'll often see hardware with "reversed reverb" algorithms that share a similar amplitude envelope to 'plectrum' reversed samples, but it's not the same thing. Reversed grains in a granular effect; well, now we're talking ...
    post edited by b rock - 2005/06/20 18:42:33
    harmony gardens
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3490
    RE: Anyway To Reverse Part Of An Audio Clip? 2005/06/20 18:42:19 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: René

Definitely we'll need a fast way to reverse clips. It's a common trick, how could those guys not think of it ts-ts.

Ok, I have this workaround which will allow the job done. Not straight, but it works:

1- Once you got the audio clip you want reversed, right click on it and hit Ctrl-L to grooveclipize it (that's not a word is it?)
    2- Select 'Export to WAV file' from the Editor Pattern menu. Enter a name for the wav file.

You can now reverse the clip copy it in SF and bring it back to P5, or:
    Let's say you named it 'ClipToReverse.wav'.

3- Create a text file in the same folder where the wav is, rename it to .sfz and write this inside:

<region> sample=ClipToReverse.wav direction=reverse

Then drag-and-drop the .sfz inside Dimension. No editing is needed, and you can now even play and process your reversed clip. Hope this helps.

-René

Rene sure seems to know a lot about Dimension.

Thanks for the tip
    LabDog
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 913
    RE: Anyway To Reverse Part Of An Audio Clip? 2005/06/20 19:13:00 (permalink)
    jamester, this klanglabs BackMan or Tempo Sync Reverser may get you what you're looking for, for that time being, that is until Cakewalk does something internal to fullfill the need.

LabDog
    post edited by LabDog - 2005/06/20 19:21:59

I am creativity's Master, I'll Be In the Lab, creating, If You Need Me
    René
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Anyway To Reverse Part Of An Audio Clip? 2005/06/20 20:12:56 (permalink)
    One of my favorite tricks to get evolving textures and soundscapes when looking for swirling, strange stuff consists of:

1- Play a couple of chords in any synth, in sequence
    2- Export to wav.
    3- Create a patch that loads the wav in two layers, with one of the layers backwards.
    4- Assign a controller to crossfade between both layers.

Then play a note and move the controller to death. Here's a small example, done in Dimension by loading two z3ta+ chords (warning: sicko material follows):

http://www.rgcstuff.com/External/xf.mp3

And here's the magic, in case anyone wants to try it (for mod wheel):

<group> sample=wave_name_here.wav xf_cccurve=gain
    <region> xfin_locc1=0 xfin_hicc1=127 direction=reverse
    <region> xfout_locc1=0 xfout_hicc1=127

-René
    post edited by René - 2005/06/20 20:16:05
    LabDog
    RE: Anyway To Reverse Part Of An Audio Clip? 2005/06/20 22:14:37 (permalink)
    That's some unique stuff, I have to try that!
    jamester
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1481
    RE: Anyway To Reverse Part Of An Audio Clip? 2005/06/21 02:36:55 (permalink)
    Great feedback guys, thanks!

Well, I'll admit it - as I usually do, I took the easy way out:

Copied the audio clip and renamed it. Opened it in Sound Forge. Highlighted portion I wanted reversed, and hit the Reverse command. Save. Re-open P5, and import the new clip (replacing the original). Save. Done!

Took about a minute. If P5 had the "hot-button" for S.F. like Sonar does, it would've taken less than a minute.

Purrrfect Audio DAW built by Jim Roseberry
    Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
    Reaper, Live, Sound Forge, Pyro
    LabDog
    RE: Anyway To Reverse Part Of An Audio Clip? 2005/06/21 03:41:45 (permalink)
    Both of those plugs are pretty good for live performance as well as recording, I've been playing with both of then quite a bit and they work quite well. I like ndc's a bit better than Kanglabs though, it feels more exacting. I definitely recommend everyone give them a try, I think you'll all enjoy them!

LabDog

I am creativity's Master, I'll Be In the Lab, creating, If You Need Me
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1