Apogee PC Compatible Audio Interfaces Released.

Author
thomasabarnes
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3234
2014/09/14 12:36:08 (permalink)

Apogee PC Compatible Audio Interfaces Released.

Apogee joins Avid and releases 2 audio interfaces that are PC compatible. The one thing I don't like is iLok has to be used, if you want to use the ProTools sowftware that comes with the package.

But I must admit I'm intrigued by the PC compatible audio interfaces. What do you all think? They are: Apogee Duet and Quartet.

I tried to post the Avid link to the products, but the Cakewalk forum doesn't like the Avid links. If I try to post the link, my post disappears, and if it's a thread I started, the thread disappears! No kidding!

"It's not a song till it touches your heart. It's not a song till it tears you apart!" Lyrics of Amy Grant.

SONAR Platinum X64 (jBridge), Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit, Core i7 990X Extreme Edition Processor 3.46 GHz 6 Cores, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, Crucial Ballistix 24GB 1333MHz DDR3 @1333 MHz, TASCAM UH-7000, Behringer X-Touch, EVGA GTX 980TI Superclocked 6GB, 1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD, 150GB, 320GB, 1TB 7200rpm HDDs

8 Replies Related Threads

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: Apogee PC Compatible Audio Interfaces Released. 2014/09/14 12:55:03 (permalink)
    I think Apogee missed the boat.  A few years ago those interfaces would have been bought in spades - name recognition, of course, and the quality for price would have been winners for them.  Today - esp. with the proliferation of quality interfaces at every price range, not so much.  I'd certainly consider Apogee, but it would be one among others, instead of just Apogee or Lynx.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    rumleymusic
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1533
    Re: Apogee PC Compatible Audio Interfaces Released. 2014/09/14 14:52:07 (permalink)
    Yeah with the new RME and UA gear, Apogee is a little late, and the market it a lot tougher at this smaller I/O scale level because the competition also includes lower cost pro-sumer interfaces.  These interfaces include Pro Tools which explains the price.  But it is a slow starting point.  I would like to see windows drivers for the Symphony and other Apogee gear.  Even Metric Halo has windows drivers in the works.  

Daniel Rumley
    Rumley Music and Audio Production
    www.rumleymusic.com
    SuperG
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1371
    Re: Apogee PC Compatible Audio Interfaces Released. 2014/09/14 15:01:24 (permalink)
    AT
    I think Apogee missed the boat.  A few years ago those interfaces would have been bought in spades - name recognition, of course, and the quality for price would have been winners for them.  Today - esp. with the proliferation of quality interfaces at every price range, not so much.  I'd certainly consider Apogee, but it would be one among others, instead of just Apogee or Lynx.

@

Agree. Apparently, Apogee always stuck with Apple because it's consumers are [supposedly] less cost conscious. They haven't moved too far off that mark since they're hitching up with Avid.

I'd rather go for market share.

laudem Deo
    Rain
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9736
    Re: Apogee PC Compatible Audio Interfaces Released. 2014/09/14 16:17:37 (permalink)
    I don't think Apogee themselves ever intended to catch that boat.

It's Avid who's bringing those licensed and rebranded interfaces to the PC. A bit like the first M-Box featured Focusrite preamps.

If I were to buy anything by Avid, I would:

1: Make sure that it is mainly for use with Pro Tools, because Avid's drivers tend to be terrible and their audio interfaces have a history of performing poorly with other software.

2: Make sure that I am willing to replace the audio interface in a few years, because Avid products often have a relatively short lifespan. 

Apogee makes terrific converters and interfaces. On Mac, they're a standard and an excellent choice. On the PC - there are equivalent just as good.

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
    SuperG
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1371
    Re: Apogee PC Compatible Audio Interfaces Released. 2014/09/15 20:01:10 (permalink)
    Rain
    I don't think Apogee themselves ever intended to catch that boat.

It's Avid who's bringing those licensed and rebranded interfaces to the PC. A bit like the first M-Box featured Focusrite preamps.

If I were to buy anything by Avid, I would:

1: Make sure that it is mainly for use with Pro Tools, because Avid's drivers tend to be terrible and their audio interfaces have a history of performing poorly with other software.

2: Make sure that I am willing to replace the audio interface in a few years, because Avid products often have a relatively short lifespan. 

Apogee makes terrific converters and interfaces. On Mac, they're a standard and an excellent choice. On the PC - there are equivalent just as good.

Quite possibly true - my bet is the Avid branded duets [must] go through Avid support drivers, etc.

I've always felt indifferent about Avid. They might have advantages for large, integrated studios with large budgets, in terms of one-stop shopping. But I've never felt limited without real time hardware FX, and some things like offline bouncing and such (newish to Avid) are always behind the competition.

laudem Deo
    musicroom
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2421
    Re: Apogee PC Compatible Audio Interfaces Released. 2014/09/19 09:40:00 (permalink)
    Reading through their website I get the impression they are releasing a few PC compatible products at a distance. All support runs through Avid would be a concern along with not selling their interfaces tethered to Protools is of little interest to me. My opinion is the new PC support would be something they should be proud of and would want to openly market instead of the pc-isum approach or feeling I get from that website. I say, nope, but ahh, thank you? They would have joined my list of future interface considerations should I want to make a change. But for now, I'll keep that list short without Apogee's reluctant pc support. 

Dave
    Songs

rumleymusic
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1533
    Re: Apogee PC Compatible Audio Interfaces Released. 2014/09/20 13:15:33 (permalink)
    Apogee made it clear the have no intention for developing for the PC.  Avid was responsible for the PC drivers for these interfaces.  I don't expect them to wise up anytime soon.  They are doing fine with the Mac only market.  

Daniel Rumley
    Rumley Music and Audio Production
    www.rumleymusic.com
    Vastman
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2508
    Re: Apogee PC Compatible Audio Interfaces Released. 2014/09/27 00:04:33 (permalink)
    When I was considering RME vs Forte, I read lots of comparisons to Duet and the general consensus favored the Forte... and I love it.  

Dana
    We make the future... Climate Change Music
    VastMaschine:SP4L/W10/i74930K/32GB/RME/CAD E100s; The Orchestra! NOVO!/Inspire/BohemianViolin&Cello, ARK1&2,/MinimalCapriccioMaximoSoto/OE1&2, Action&Emotive/Omni2/Tril/RMX/All OrangeTree/Falcon/APE Jugs/Alpha&Bravo/BFD3 & SD3
    Gravity/DM307/AEON/DM/Damage/Diva/HZebra/Hive/Diversion/VC4/Serum/Alchemy/blablabla
    Spitfire/8DIO/SL/KH/EW/NI; Shred1&2/AGF,G,M&T Torch&Res&Ren/GD-6; Ibanez SR1200&SR505
    NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1