Apply Effects - again

Author
smoddelm
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 447
2018/02/07 15:27:11 (permalink)

Apply Effects - again

I know there are numerous threads about apply effects, but I am experienced at doing this and suddenly it is not working for me.  Using 32-bit SPLAT, because I use MusicLab's SlicyDrummer which is a MIDI plugin not supported in 64-bit Sonar and NOT a VST that can be wrapped.  It "plays" a drum loop throughout a project.  For more than 10 years, I've started with the plugin to have a drum background while I'm putting a song together, then while on the track, hit Process/Apply Effect/MIDI Effects.  This puts (or used to put) MIDI notes into the track, repeating the looped notes through to the end.  Then I could edit the drum MIDI track (or not), and eliminate the plugin.

Now, with SlicyDrummer active in my MIDI track, I highlight the track and try to do what I have done literally hundreds of times, and the option to apply MIDI effects is greyed out. Weirdly, if I add a few MIDI notes to the track, it is no longer greyed out, but hitting Process/Apply Effect/MIDI Effects does nothing.  Maybe it got broken in Sonar?  Help!  I really want to do this - I'm trying to migrate to 64-bit Sonar but my old projects will be drumless unless I can make it work again.

7 Replies Related Threads

martins guit
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 241
    Re: Apply Effects - again 2018/02/07 16:31:47 (permalink)
    if you freeze the track does it work?

apologize for my english

martin

CAKEWALK BY BANDLAB
    windows 10 x64bit,i7-6700,12G-ram-DDR-4
    roland-quad capture,tascam us122l,
    NTK Rode mic,Apex 160 mic,JBL & JVC speakers
    Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Apply Effects - again 2018/02/07 18:33:19 (permalink)
    You really are missing out on a lot by limiting yourself to 32 bit. Drum tracks are much easier to create than your method. I would recommend you learn a new approach and move on.  Session drummer and others also have many loops built in that will play same as you have been doing so lots of 64 bit options. 
    Here I give clear instructions on how to make a drum pattern in PVR and use Groove looping to drag it out. 
    Go to part II for instructions. 
    http://www.cactusmusic.ca/Sonarmidi.htm

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

smoddelm
    Re: Apply Effects - again 2018/02/08 02:28:48 (permalink)
    Cactus Music
    You really are missing out on a lot by limiting yourself to 32 bit. Drum tracks are much easier to create than your method. I would recommend you learn a new approach and move on.  Session drummer and others also have many loops built in that will play same as you have been doing so lots of 64 bit options. 
    Here I give clear instructions on how to make a drum pattern in PVR and use Groove looping to drag it out. 
    Go to part II for instructions. 
    http://www.cactusmusic.ca/Sonarmidi.htm

Thanks for the reply.  I do know how to do all that - but it's an added step.  And SlicyDrummer is actually way more user-friendly in terms of finding the "right" loops, modifying them, etc.  Too bad MusicLab didn't maintain it.

Nevertheless, as I said, the reason I want to apply the MIDI FX is so I can migrate some 80 projects, with the drum patterns intact, form 32-bit to 64-bit SPLAT.  Also having to deal with many of them using dxi's, mostly dxi's of older versions of Native Instruments stuff.  I can replace the dxi's with the corresponding VST's, but there are more little twists to that than you might think. 
    msmcleod
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 920
    Re: Apply Effects - again 2018/02/08 02:43:01 (permalink)
    Have you tried AIR Strike 2 ?

I quite often use this for jamming along to as it is so easy to use.

Once I've got some music down, I tend to switch to a combination of playing myself though and electronic kit and Jamstix, running through Addictive Drums 2. But AIR Strike 2 is fantastic for getting started.

M.
    smoddelm
    Re: Apply Effects - again 2018/02/08 13:36:24 (permalink)
    msmcleod
    Have you tried AIR Strike 2 ?

I quite often use this for jamming along to as it is so easy to use.

Once I've got some music down, I tend to switch to a combination of playing myself though and electronic kit and Jamstix, running through Addictive Drums 2. But AIR Strike 2 is fantastic for getting started.

M.

I haven't heard of it.  I'll take a look.   Thanks.

Cactus Music
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Apply Effects - again 2018/02/08 19:49:36 (permalink)
    Air Strike 2 is cool, but very complicated to set up with GM. 
    Session drummer is included free with the older Sonars, don't you have that? 
    And even AD2  plays GM if set to do so, no reason your older files shouldn't  play any of the newer drum VST's. 

If your old projects contain the midi data that is all you need to play a modern drum VST. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

chuckebaby
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re: Apply Effects - again 2018/02/08 20:08:08 (permalink)
    To use process/apply effect/midi effects you must have the midi track selected.
    Sounds like you forgot to select the track you are working on.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1