Applying effects causing increase of volume

Author
Peter Rabbit
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1305
2006/06/30 14:24:23 (permalink)

Applying effects causing increase of volume

OK, maybe this is just another one of those weird quirks that happen to me occasionally for no apparent reason. Then again maybe someone can offer an explanation or shed some light.

I have a vocal track with a number of effects in the effects bin. At the highest point the volume meter reads at –2.7

I want to clone the track so I can apply the effects in the cloned track and then archive the original one, thereby decreasing the CPU.

In this vocal track, after applying the effects, the volume meter is now clipping at +0.3

I have not changed anything in the track. The only thing I have done is to apply the effects to the track that were in the effects bin and then delete the effects from the bin. I have tried this over and over again with the same results. Before applying the effects it’s at -2.7, after applying effects it’s at +0.3

This has never happened to me before and I’m thinking it’s just one of those odd and unexplainable occurrences.

Here’s the effects in the bin:
Cakewalk Pitch Shifter
Sonitus EQ
Spitfish De-esser
Sonitus Compressor
Sonitus Reverb

"Creating a bad song takes just as much time and energy as creating a good one. The problem is that you don't know it's a bad song until someone tells you, and by then it's too late."
P. Rabbit

19 Replies Related Threads

Peter Rabbit
    RE: Applying effects causing increase of volume 2006/06/30 16:30:28 (permalink)
    OK, I figured it out.

When you insert Cakewalk's Pitch Shifter into an audio track it changes that track to a mono track and it can not be changed to stereo as long as the pitch shifter remains in the effects bin. However the audio comes out of the track in stereo if you have also inserted stereo effects into the bin, even though the little stereo/mono icon implies that it's set to mono. After applying the effects and removing them from the bin, the audio coming out of the track becomes mono and you have to click on the little stereo/mono icon and change it to stereo before the audio will come out of the track in stereo which accounts for the difference in db levels. (If I remember correctly mono is appx. 3 db louder than stereo.)

So that's it. Carry on folks. I'll leave this post here in case anyone else encounters this problem and they can do a search.

"Creating a bad song takes just as much time and energy as creating a good one. The problem is that you don't know it's a bad song until someone tells you, and by then it's too late."
    P. Rabbit
    Robomusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: Applying effects causing increase of volume 2006/06/30 17:49:15 (permalink)
    It just goes to show, that there is usually an expaination for most things if'n you just look at the facts. I have noticed that many issues are caused by plugins, or VSTis

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    joeh20_444
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 865
    RE: Applying effects causing increase of volume 2006/06/30 20:27:41 (permalink)
    Hey Pete,

Good job w/the trial and error. Now why on earth are you using that nasty pitch shifter? You've got S4PE right? Then use MPEX, it's in another ballpark as far as timescaling goes...
    Peter Rabbit
    RE: Applying effects causing increase of volume 2006/07/01 09:41:35 (permalink)
    You're right Robo. I can usually figure things out. But this one kept me stumped for hours. Seems I learn something new everyday because the learning curve is endless.

Joe20:

You've intrigued me. I tried to find MPEX in my Sonar4 PE program. The only thing I could find in the help menu of my Sonar4 when I ran a search on "MPEX" was Cakewalk's Time/Pitch Stretch 2 which can not be used in real time. It has an advanced tab where you can select either Normal or MPEX for the algorithm. Is this what you were referring to?

The only other tool I could find in my aresenal for changing the pitch was the one I already used which was Cakewalk's Pitch Shifter. But I couldn't find any tool called MPEX.

P. Rabbit
    joeh20_444
    RE: Applying effects causing increase of volume 2006/07/01 11:23:26 (permalink)
    Cake's time/pitch stretch is an offline effect (added after the fact). You can find it in process > audio effects> cakewalk> time/pitch stretch 2. There you can use MPEX. In all honesty, it's one of (if not the) best pitch shifters out there. Your only problem runs w/not being able to use it in realtime.
    Peter Rabbit
    RE: Applying effects causing increase of volume 2006/07/02 09:51:47 (permalink)
    Thanks Joe,
    Yes, I have played with that before but I haven't used it in a project yet. I guess my ears are not as attuned as yours because I can't really notice a difference in the sound quality between that one and the Cakewalk Pitch Shifter. Although the Time/Pitch Stretch does have the time stretch feature that the other one does not. I do like the regular pitch shifter becaused it can be used in real time. I have seldom used any of the offline features because working in realtime is so much easier when trying to mix.

Another point of interest: The Cakewalk Pitch Shifter only forces the track to mono if it is placed first in the chain of effects in the effects bin. But even if it is placed first, and you add other stereo effects, the audio will come out of the track in stereo even though the little stereo/mono icon indicates that it's a mono track.

BTW: Joe, a bit off topic but I purchased the upgrade to my PODxt with the additional amps & effects and have to say IMO it is well worth the 100 bucks. I purchased the combined 3 pack.

P. Rabbit
    Robomusic
    RE: Applying effects causing increase of volume 2006/07/02 21:59:38 (permalink)
    Pettey Wabbit, i think it is always better to do heavy audio work in a true audio editor like sound forge, or gold wave. these are so good at taking a wave file and doing powerful things with it. Cake like almost any sequencer/tracker is kind of like a swiss army knife it will do a lot in a pinch, but the little saw blade is no match for a chainsaw.

Music Town
    joeh20_444
    RE: Applying effects causing increase of volume 2006/07/03 09:16:05 (permalink)
    BTW: Joe, a bit off topic but I purchased the upgrade to my PODxt with the additional amps & effects and have to say IMO it is well worth the 100 bucks. I purchased the combined 3 pack.

I hear that. I recently added the 2 amp packs (XT live comes with the FX pack already) and the Bass Expansion. It is as close to endless possibilities as you can get, methinks. Glad you like it!
    Peter Rabbit
    RE: Applying effects causing increase of volume 2006/07/03 09:52:18 (permalink)
    Pettey Wabbit, i think it is always better to do heavy audio work in a true audio editor like sound forge, or gold wave.

Robo, I'm really confused here. I thought Cake (especially Sonar) was one of the two best audio editors on the market. Right up there with Pro Tools.

I'm really very happy with the way Cake works. But I'm always open and interested in hearing about something better. I've noticed that Sound Forge seems to come up frequently in these forums and a lot of folks are using it but I never really understood why since the Cake software can already do just about any kind of audio or midi editing. I suppose I should do some research and find out more about it.

P. Rabbit
    joeh20_444
    RE: Applying effects causing increase of volume 2006/07/03 10:21:50 (permalink)
    Pete,

The short and sweet of it is SONAR is a sequencer, not an audio editor. Personally, I don't think that you'd run into a problem applying offline effects in SONAR. The advantage of proggy's like SF and Audition is that they allow a more isolated approach to individual wave files. Personally, I save it mostly for any noise reduction and any mastering, and I leave the rest up to SONAR. I've always done time-pitch as an offline effect, mainly because if the algorithm is good, it'll eat up CPU at astonishing rates.

That being said, I don't even think you can use mpex in another host, I've never tried, though.
    Robomusic
    RE: Applying effects causing increase of volume 2006/07/03 18:23:29 (permalink)
    As Joe is pointing out , Cake does a very decent job at almost anything, but it again is the swiss army knife of programs, as is Profools i might add. The knife blade is a great blade, the screw driver is a decent screw driver, you would not want to dis-assemble a car with it, but you could fix the loose rear view mirror. With sonar it will do all the things one wants, but there are other apps that tackle a specific task head on! Sound forge is a very powerful audio editor that does only one thing, no midi, no multitracking, no softsynths, just editing an audio wave file.
    post edited by Robomusic - 2006/07/03 18:34:09

Music Town
    Peter Rabbit
    RE: Applying effects causing increase of volume 2006/07/04 00:03:47 (permalink)
    OK. I understand now. Thanks guys.

I did a search in these forums and came accross some interesting posts on the subject of Sonar vs. Sound Forge for audio editing. Seemed to be about 50/50 pro and con. Most agreed that Sound Forge was the better program for mastering though.

But I see your point and it makes perfect sense. Again, thanks guys for the help. Now I have something else to chew on for awhile.

I recently installed Reason and have been working with it because I thought it would be a better program for working with midi. (I mention this because now I'm thinking that Sound Forge is better for audio but I just went through this same kind of thing with Reason) It works well with the rewire feature but quite frankly I like Cakewalk's midi much better. Although I do like some of the samples that Reason uses. The drum samples that Reason uses sound better than the other things I've been using and I've just finished creating the drums for my new song using Reason, creating the drums one note at a time. But in all honesty I think Cakewalk's midi program is a lot better than Reason's IMHO, although there are many similarities

Anyway, I'm way off topic from my original post here but things just kept getting more and more interesting as this thread continued and I was intrigued. LOL Thanks again guys.

P. Rabbit
    Robomusic
    RE: Applying effects causing increase of volume 2006/07/04 01:48:01 (permalink)
    Reason is a midi softsynth/sampling program, it plays midi very well and allows you to turn midi into audio with amazing quality, but cakewalk is a true sequencer with a gazillion tools to actually edit midi. Look at them this way cake builds and alters midi reason processes it to audio.

Music Town
    joeh20_444
    RE: Applying effects causing increase of volume 2006/07/04 03:41:57 (permalink)
    Uh... you can't really be OT, seeing as it's your topic to begin with! You make the rules and all...

I'm not a Reason junkie myself. The sounds are a bit too dated and overused for my taste. I'd recommend the full nskit_7 w/either Kontakt or HALion for drums and the sample library from the sampler you chose along with any other specific plugin to take care of your other sounds.
    Robomusic
    RE: Applying effects causing increase of volume 2006/07/04 15:52:41 (permalink)
    Reason i would not call dated, more vintage, if one wants true old school synths it is the way to go, and it has such versitility. But i agree on the fact that i am a believer in good old samplers for a live instrument feel.

Music Town
    Peter Rabbit
    RE: Applying effects causing increase of volume 2006/07/04 21:24:28 (permalink)
    I think the only sampling program I have is rgc: audio sfz.

But the only sound fonts that I have for sfz are the free ones because I've only downloaded the free sfz program. I've also searched the internet and have downloaded a few other sound fonts that I thought sounded interesting. I suppose I should invest in a good sampling program with high quality samples. Of course it would have to be a dxi or vst, vsti. or at least something that could be used with rewire. I have seen nskit mentioned several times throughout these forums. Seems it is widely used by a lot of folks.

Reason does have several sample files that came with the program but not a huge amount of them. I'm sure more can be purchased. Of course it has a ton of synth sounds I could use.
    The drum samples in Reason's Redrum are fairly decent but it limits you to only 10 sounds per track which can be very limiting if you want to use several different cymbol sounds plus several toms and a couple snares, etc. It's surprising how quickly you can use up 10 sounds in a project. It also limits which drum sounds you can use together in a project. I think there's a way to create your own drum kits but it will still limit you to only 10 sounds.

P. Rabbit
    Robomusic
    RE: Applying effects causing increase of volume 2006/07/05 01:53:48 (permalink)
    I know joe and I dis agree on this one but i find Jamstix to do all i want. Plus i could use the NSkit in Jamstix, but i love the jampacks 1 and 2 and i get what i want with them

Music Town
    joeh20_444
    RE: Applying effects causing increase of volume 2006/07/05 09:21:11 (permalink)
    Pete,

The FREE nskit is used by a lot of people. I think only like 150 or so people have the full kit (it's about 100 bucks for the samples). They get so mixed up it's hard to say "Hey, I use nskit" because then people consider you cheap, so it turns into "hey I use nskit (the full one) (I paid (a lot) for it) (really)." Okay, maybe not that bad...

Reason is not a bad program, it just won't end up in my studio, I guess that's what I was saying. Rebirth has been released for free, that will take care of the only other thing that Reason could have even offered.
    Peter Rabbit
    RE: Applying effects causing increase of volume 2006/07/05 10:23:11 (permalink)
    I think everyone has chosen thier favorite programs that they use. Therefore there's going to be an abundance of recommendations for different products. I think it never hurts to investigate all possibilities and then choose your own favorite. But it certainly helps to hear what others are using, and why, so that we can make more informed decisions.

Thanks guys, you've given me a lot to think about here. A lot......a whole lot....I think I'll get the free this...or pay a little for that...or maybe pay a little more for the other one...even though I could pay a whole lot for the superb one. Well, I'm off to see my therapist now. blubbada, blubbada, blubbada...

P. Rabbit
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1