"Aranjuez" adaptation of Rodrigo's concierto d'Aranjuez for solo guitar

Author
morenoise
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1074
2011/02/09 16:49:34 (permalink)

"Aranjuez" adaptation of Rodrigo's concierto d'Aranjuez for solo guitar

Hi all, did this recording from memory so it's more of a pastiche than a faithful reproduction of the original. The huffing and puffing you can hear is me having a bad cold, so please ignore it . I'm mostly interested in hearing what you think about the actual sound of the guitar as I mixed(?) this with headphones and am not sure about eq etc. Also exported this as a flac file to Soundcloud , to me it sounds better than a mp3 on Soundclick.

http://soundcloud.com/rik-frieling/aranjuez

Greetings, Rik

13 Replies Related Threads

Janet
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:"Aranjuez" adaptation of Rodrigo's concierto d'Aranjuez for solo guitar 2011/02/09 21:14:34 (permalink)
    It sounds great to me!  Beautiful playing and full of emotion.  I didn't hear the huffing and puffing you mentioned.  :-) 
    giankap
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 387
    Re:"Aranjuez" adaptation of Rodrigo's concierto d'Aranjuez for solo guitar 2011/02/09 21:44:54 (permalink)
    I have listened the track also on headphones so I'm not so sure what's the feeling when played on actual monitors, but i have some observations that might help your mix.

Try to bring down the bass frequencies of the reverb, since you've chosen to represent the melodic line on the bass strings you don't need the reverb on those frequencies. this way the melody will shine more. Or try to slightly eq-decrease the bass and bring a little bit more of high. Other than that I think that the whole thing is absolutely amazing. Please let me know the guitar brand. I just dig the sound of this guitar and your playing is great. If you are into solo guitar kind of recordings I have another advice for you. Invest in a set of pencil paired mics. They don't have to be expensive. Behringer or samson will do the job just fine. Then place one mic about 20-30cm in front of you (assuming you are sitting when recording) pointing your 14th fret and place the second mic 20-30 cm above your head and 10 cm to the right of your head, pointing vertically down your right shoulder. This is a combination stereo recording which captures the sound as a listener listens to the sound, plus as the performer himself listens to it. Now when mixing pan your "in front" guitar track 100% left and move it 10 ms to the left. Then pan your "shoulder" guitar track 100% right and move it 10 ms to the right. You won't believe what just happened!!!

sincerely,

Ioannis

Windows - some Dual Core CPU - a little bit of RAM - not so bad soundcard - i think it's called Sonar - a silver mixer with colorful knobs - black speaker monitors - my ears

some work
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:"Aranjuez" adaptation of Rodrigo's concierto d'Aranjuez for solo guitar 2011/02/09 21:53:50 (permalink)
    Rik - it's a little "boomy" - sounds like you recorded very near the sound hole.  did you use only 1 mic (sounds like it), if so, I'd move it back up the fretboard and you'll get a better sound that's not as "bassy." 

giankap's got some good advice on mic'ing the acoustic as well.

(and I do hear the breathing, but I'm ignoring it! )

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    giankap
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 387
    Re:"Aranjuez" adaptation of Rodrigo's concierto d'Aranjuez for solo guitar 2011/02/09 22:03:29 (permalink)
    I actually like the breathing noise very much. It makes it very real. the problem with the "boomy" sound in my opinion starts because of the room he recorded the guitar. it looks like the reflection from the walls enhanced the bass frequencies too much. try to cover the walls around with blankets or something which will absorb as much as possible of the reflection sound.

sincerely,

Ioannis

Windows - some Dual Core CPU - a little bit of RAM - not so bad soundcard - i think it's called Sonar - a silver mixer with colorful knobs - black speaker monitors - my ears

some work
    geeare1
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1906
    Re:"Aranjuez" adaptation of Rodrigo's concierto d'Aranjuez for solo guitar 2011/02/10 10:49:14 (permalink)
    Hi Rik,

Great playing!  I'm listening on a laptop but the guitar sounds good to me.

Are you using a mic or are you still recording direct?

Well, either way, I like it.

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
    morenoise
    Re:"Aranjuez" adaptation of Rodrigo's concierto d'Aranjuez for solo guitar 2011/02/10 11:22:17 (permalink)
    Hi Gary, it's a combination of di and mic. There's just to much noise were I live to record only with a nice mic. To avoid traffic noise and noisy neighbors and such, I use the pickup for the low frequencies, no rumble, and the mic for middle and higher frequencies. Thanks for listening.

Greetings, Rik
    morenoise
    Re:"Aranjuez" adaptation of Rodrigo's concierto d'Aranjuez for solo guitar 2011/02/10 11:34:44 (permalink)
    Hi Janet , thanks for listening, I should have written that the huffing and puffing was my expression of my deepest emotions, but it's just a cold .

Hi Beagle, the boomy part is actually the direct recorded track and I used to much reverb on that it seems. The extranious noises, thanks for ignoring ,  were faithfully captured by the mic at the 12th fret on a second track and also captured the higher frequencies.

Greetings, Rik
    patm300e
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 845
    Re:"Aranjuez" adaptation of Rodrigo's concierto d'Aranjuez for solo guitar 2011/02/10 11:47:47 (permalink)
    Very nice emotional playing.  Listening on ear buds...sounds good through these!

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.
    morenoise
    Re:"Aranjuez" adaptation of Rodrigo's concierto d'Aranjuez for solo guitar 2011/02/10 11:50:17 (permalink)
    Hi Ionannis, thanks for listening and comments. I like your idea for recording with two mics and this would certainly create a wider soundstage. I often use Voxengo Stereotouch to do that when I'm recording my guitar direct. In this piece I was looking more for a "mono" sound just like I hear when playing. I recorded to two tracks, one direct for low frequencies and one with a omni pencil mike at the 12th fret really close for high frequencies. It's not room reflexions you're hearing but I used to much reverb on the direct track , difficult to judge this on headphones. The guitar is just a plywood Lag 112nce but if I mix some direct recording with a mic it doesn't sound bad at all, if I don't over cook the bass that is.

Greetings, Rik
    morenoise
    Re:"Aranjuez" adaptation of Rodrigo's concierto d'Aranjuez for solo guitar 2011/02/10 11:54:20 (permalink)
    Hi Pat , thanks. Funny thing is on my Senheisser earbuds it sounded way to thin and I almost wanted to raise the bass frequencies.  Glad I didn't. it's already to boomy it seems.

Greetings, Rik
    Beagle
    Re:"Aranjuez" adaptation of Rodrigo's concierto d'Aranjuez for solo guitar 2011/02/10 12:04:33 (permalink)
    morenoise

Hi Janet , thanks for listening, I should have written that the huffing and puffing was my expression of my deepest emotions, but it's just a cold .

Hi Beagle, the boomy part is actually the direct recorded track and I used to much reverb on that it seems. The extranious noises, thanks for ignoring ,  were faithfully captured by the mic at the 12th fret on a second track and also captured the higher frequencies.

Greetings, Rik

That makes sense - I didn't think about DI - the pickup for the acoustic is going to be in the soundhole, so it's going to be boomy by nature - then if you add too much reverb with a lot of low end on the verb then that will complicate matters even more.

very good guitar work, tho, I must say.  I listened again.  thanks for sharing!

morenoise
    Re:"Aranjuez" adaptation of Rodrigo's concierto d'Aranjuez for solo guitar 2011/02/10 12:40:23 (permalink)
    Hi Beagle, it's a nylon string guitar so the pickup is a piezo under the bridge saddle, it doesn't sound boomy actually, just the opposite. You really have to mess it up to get it to sound boomy so by itself it's quite an achievement .

Greetings, Rik
    Beagle
    Re:"Aranjuez" adaptation of Rodrigo's concierto d'Aranjuez for solo guitar 2011/02/10 12:42:46 (permalink)
    ah, ok. 

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1