Archive question

Author
Rickenbacker
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 22
2005/12/29 09:55:59 (permalink)

Archive question

So I've been experimenting w/ MC the last several days & the help section says it's better to archive then delete. Something about RAM space. So before I read that, I did a whole bunch of deleting. Stuff like portions of clips I didn't need etc. So 2 things:

Have I created more junk on my RAM & in what instance would I *need* to archive something?

4 Replies Related Threads

bargainboy1
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: Archive question 2005/12/29 12:11:24 (permalink)
    Ahhh...., archiving is my best friend. To me, the archive feature is a lifesaver. Yur computer does no process a track when it is archived. Why is this good, you ask? Well, for one thing, it saves a bunch of processing power if you are using a lot of effects. Second, say you delete the track, then later you think, boy - I wish I had that track back, there was one section I really liked. If it's archived, there you go.

But, the main advantage for archiving is that you can reduce processing power and free up fx spots, since you're limited to 8 or 10 in MC. You can record a track, insert the fx, then monkey with the fx until you get your desired result. If you have 2 or 3 fx in one track, you're pretty limited as to how many fx you can use elsewhere. Plus, if you have an older computer, processing the fx can be taxing on your system. So, hello archive. Once your original track is set, bounce it - with the fx on - to print it to a new track. Then, archive the original track. You now have an archived track that isn't bing processed; therefore, you reduced the processing time - the fx are printed in the new track, not processed.

If you add a few more tracks and you need to adjust the fx on the printed track, you can mute the printed track, un-archive the original and adjust away.
    post edited by bargainboy1 - 2005/12/29 12:13:59

Jeff
    Rickenbacker
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: Archive question 2005/12/29 13:22:30 (permalink)
    Ahhh! Ok. So is there a way for me to "undo" those deletes? I wanna waste as little hd space as poss'.

Damn. Wish I hadn't done all those deletes now....
    bargainboy1
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: Archive question 2005/12/29 14:55:57 (permalink)
    The only way I know to undo the deletes, is to use the "Undo" function - but, if you saved and closed the program I think the data is gone.

You can get rid of all sound files that MC isn't using. Go to TOOLS>CLEAN AUDIO DATA. A box will pop up, hit FIND FILES and let MC search. (Hmmm, your deleted clips will show up in this list - you might be able to recover them from here - I'm not sure.) You can listen to the clips and delete as necessary, or you can delete them all.

Jeff
    fixerman
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 386
    RE: Archive question 2005/12/29 20:55:22 (permalink)
    Here's a nice feature that MC has... open the project that you had all those deleted tracks. On top of the screen choose Edit - History. The drop down box will open and all the things that you did in that project is listed there. Pick a spot and hit enter or click it and you can pin point where you want to start over again. Provided that you did't clean your audio disc yet. I hope that works out for you.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1