Are Busses Worth it?

Author
Metaphasic
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 262
2011/09/05 19:02:25 (permalink)

Are Busses Worth it?

I've reached a point where I'm dropping the use of busses (other than master buss). I've just come across too many scenarios where effects on individual busses clash with those on the buss they are routed to. A good example is with a session drummer buss. I usually apply light compression to kicks and snares, at a minimum, to help balance output from them. I also usually have some degree of reverb on snare rolls and cymbals, to varying degrees. The problem is that even if none of these tracks are peaking, the drum buss will. If I apply another compressor to that buss, the reverbs on the individual tracks are affected, as well as some being compressed twice, leaving the entire mix sounding thin and airy. While I like the idea of being able to level a whole group in a final mix with one slider, I'm not sure that adds enough benefit to actually do it.

Has anybody run into this scenario before? If so, how did you resolve it? Thanks for any input.

15 Replies Related Threads

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Are Busses Worth it? 2011/09/05 19:22:55 (permalink)
    Experience?  Light compression, followed by light compression shouldn't make the mix sound thin and airy.  Smaller, maybe, thicker.

Most mixers develop a template that they use from having done it that way.  You almost have to work backwards.  Make a drum buss and use a bus comp on it.  Route your drums through there.  Does the snare kick need more shaping.  Go back and work on them in context (tho this is another area where experience will help you know how it will sound before you start fussing with it).  Same with reverb.  Your bus comp will flatten out that sound.  So rather than working on the individual drums first, work through the bus w/ a comp you like.  That is how we used to do it when we only had a couple of hardware comps etc. (if you were lucky).

Of course, if you hate what the bus comp does to your kick or the reverb on the snare, you can route them directly to the master.  Or split the signal.

Oh, once you get mixing figured out and develop your techniques which make your "sound," you get to start aurally anticipating what the mastering will do to how your mix sounds.  It is a developing process, not an end game.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Chappel
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2300
    Re:Are Busses Worth it? 2011/09/05 19:51:05 (permalink)
    I like using buses. I find them very handy. I've never used compression as a way to control volume. I think we do things very differently because I have never encountered the kinds of problems you mention. I don't put reverb on buses I have instruments routed to but rather I create dedicated reverb buses. This also allows me to process the reverb differently than the audio being sent to it.
    Rain
    • Total Posts : 9736
    Re:Are Busses Worth it? 2011/09/05 19:51:15 (permalink)
    If you route your drums to a dedicated aux buss and end up clipping it, you need to lower the individual tracks. At any rate, if they clip a dedicated buss, they'll also clip the master buss - even more considering that the master buss has to handle not only those drums but all the other tracks in your project.

The first tip on the way to a better mix would probably be to lower everything. My mixes became much cleaner when I started bringing the faders down - the individual tracks meters rarely ever go half way up. 

It's all about making room for each part, and the common mistake is too try and squeeze as much as possible in. I'd try the opposite - put as little as needed. You can always make everything louder later in the process.

BTW, I do use a bit of compression on individual tracks (kick, snare) not so much to help with levels as to add a bit of punch or snap. I don't really use compression on the drum buss - if I did, it'd be to add colour to the sound, not to control it's dynamics. 

A very tiny bit of compression on the master buss, once again to color and help glue everything instead of trying to tame peaks.
    post edited by Rain - 2011/09/05 19:59:29

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
    batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:Are Busses Worth it? 2011/09/05 23:11:25 (permalink)
    i use as many busses as i need to get the job done.

sometimes, it's one.

sometimes it's twelve.

no rules.

no templates, no 'standard method'

every song gets treated in a unique fashion.

this is what works for me.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Metaphasic
    Re:Are Busses Worth it? 2011/09/06 00:50:43 (permalink)
    Thanks guys. I think I went about using compression with the wrong mindset: trying to make it so that all level slider are as close to 0db as possible, rather than marshall random volume variances with a given track. I have a new project I'm working on that I'll try out some new techniques on. Thanks again.
    droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    Re:Are Busses Worth it? 2011/09/06 01:49:57 (permalink)
    The useful thing about buses is that they let you experiment with the song by making minimal changes. What would it sound like if all the guitars were a bit more prominent, or the vocals came down a bit, etc... They are as much for balance as for applying processing.

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Are Busses Worth it? 2011/09/06 01:49:58 (permalink)
    Live and learn Serena.  It sounds like a plan to find the best way to work for you.  I've always found it helpful to think of compressors as automatic gain controls, which is what they were originally developed as.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Rain
    • Total Posts : 9736
    Re:Are Busses Worth it? 2011/09/06 02:17:03 (permalink)
    Serenarules

Thanks guys. I think I went about using compression with the wrong mindset: trying to make it so that all level slider are as close to 0db as possible, rather than marshall random volume variances with a given track. I have a new project I'm working on that I'll try out some new techniques on. Thanks again.

Well, it's not necessarily the wrong mindset - as AT pointed out, they were originally designed for automatic gain control. In some cases they may be just what you need. You can also use them in conjunction with level automation. But keeping your tracks at a conservative level will indeed leave you more room to work. 

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Are Busses Worth it? 2011/09/06 06:17:55 (permalink)
    Rain

If you route your drums to a dedicated aux buss and end up clipping it, you need to lower the individual tracks. At any rate, if they clip a dedicated buss, they'll also clip the master buss - even more considering that the master buss has to handle not only those drums but all the other tracks in your project.

The first tip on the way to a better mix would probably be to lower everything. My mixes became much cleaner when I started bringing the faders down - the individual tracks meters rarely ever go half way up. 

It's all about making room for each part, and the common mistake is too try and squeeze as much as possible in. I'd try the opposite - put as little as needed. You can always make everything louder later in the process.

BTW, I do use a bit of compression on individual tracks (kick, snare) not so much to help with levels as to add a bit of punch or snap. I don't really use compression on the drum buss - if I did, it'd be to add colour to the sound, not to control it's dynamics. 

A very tiny bit of compression on the master buss, once again to color and help glue everything instead of trying to tame peaks.

This is a good post, and the way I approach all mixing jobs.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Metaphasic
    Re:Are Busses Worth it? 2011/09/06 07:13:02 (permalink)
    Let me ask then, if you don't mind, what are some general mixing guidelines? Examples would be something like:

1) start with all track and non-master buss levels at -12db and the master at 0db.
    2) try to keep snare and kick levels approximately the same
    3) hi-hats tend to be 1-3 db lower than the kick/snare average
    4) pads tend to be 6-12 db lower than the bass

Of course, those are just arbitrary examples I pulled out of a hat, and are probably nowhere near accurate, but I'm just curious what people are using for a baseline setup pre-mastering?
    Karyn
    Ma-Ma
    • Total Posts : 9200
    Re:Are Busses Worth it? 2011/09/06 07:38:20 (permalink)
    For a baseline setup you play through the track, listen to the instruments, use your ears and push a few faders about (with your fingers, not your ears).

Every song is different and there realy isn't a basline setup you can work to other than starting with a "Zeroed mixer".  One of the boring jobs an 'intern' had to do in studios in the days before automation would be to "Zero the Desk" before/after sessions, ie return all knobs to their zero/neutral possition, reset outboard FX to neutral, etc. With large desks this can take a while.

If your audio has been recorded at sensible levels, simply pushing all faders to about the same level will generaly give you a rough idea of the sound you'll end up with, but you can't set definitions like your list. You may have hi-hats quieter than snare in one song, louder in another, or change your mind depending on the sound of the hi-hats or snare.

Mekashi Futo
    Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
    Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Are Busses Worth it? 2011/09/06 08:33:28 (permalink)
    I always try to keep my projects as uncomplicated as possible....

I recommend the KISS rule: Keep It Simple Serena.

Only add fx to a track if it is ABSOLUTELY required. Most of the time when you think it IS, it is actually not. 

In 90% of my mixes, the tracks are void of FX. Quite a few only have mild compression in the master in the form of  some Ozone based eq/compression stuff. 

Your tracks can be running clean (no red) and even after you pop in a compressor.... but you're sending that track with 4 others to a buss, and the level gets up as a result in the buss. Throw eq & Compression on the buss and you just bump the levels again. The solution is to pull the tracks down a bit, and pull the buss down. You can easily end up with a screwy mix...pull levels down turn compression up.... repeat that a few times and you're way off the original target. 

A wise person working a mixer board once told me some really good advice. He said: Set everything flat (EQ) to start with and try NOT to turn the knobs to get it to sound good. So applying that to digital recording..... record the tracks at a respectable level and try not to use FX to "fix the sound". 

When you are mixing, and you begin to notice the "dog chasing it's tail" syndrome starting.... go back to square one. Remove or BYPASS the FX bins in all the tracks and busses and start again.  

The tendency of many folks is to add FX trying to fix a mix, when in fact, the opposite is often true. 

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Metaphasic
    Re:Are Busses Worth it? 2011/09/06 09:57:35 (permalink)
    Right. See that's where my problem started. If I had kick, snare, hat and crash tracks, routed to a drum buss, where the individual tracks lit up only the first one or two orange lights, the buss would generate the little red indicators. I'd fix it by adding compression, and turning down the output in the compressor module, so that all four tracks and the buss could be set to 0db initially. The problem was that it squashed the reverbs on snare and crash badly.

However, I"ve changed my layout since doing this.

I took the advice above and now have a Short, Medium and Long reverb buss, routed to an Effects buss (so I can adjust overall effect level), then to master. Then on the snare and crashes, I set a send to the desired effect. The result is much nicer in that I can still comp the drums without affecting the verbs.
    drewfx1
    Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6585
    Re:Are Busses Worth it? 2011/09/06 10:34:43 (permalink)
    If the buss is going into the red where the level is too high for any buss FX you are using (or if you're just worried about it for some other reason), you can just turn down the Input Gain (aka Trim or Gain) control on the buss.

In terms of signal flow, Input Gain is at the very front of the buss (before the FX bin). And generally speaking, reducing the input to the buss has an identical result to reducing everything feeding the buss.

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
    kc2ine
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 396
    Re:Are Busses Worth it? 2011/09/06 11:31:44 (permalink)
    I use buses to/from work everyday and I can say definitely worthy...

V-Studio 100, Sony VAIO i7 2.93GHz/ 8GB RAM, Pianoteq, Sonar X1 Studio, ezDrummer, Macbook Pro, Roland RD700GX stage piano, Yamaha Motif XS6 workstation, Rode NT-1A, AKG Perception 220 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1