Helpful ReplyAre LP EQ and LP MB CPU intensive

Author
reevant
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18
2018/04/20 00:06:37 (permalink)

Are LP EQ and LP MB CPU intensive

I have decided to have a look a LP EQ and LP MB but adding them in seems to elevate my CPU quite a lot. Why I would bother with LP EQ I don't know the Pro Channel EQ does a good job. But even adding the LP MB (multiband compressor) on my master bus lifts up the CPU then if I also put it on a track then the CPU lifts and leaves me with the odd stutter. Using Reapers multiband compressor ReaXComp in the same way all is fine.

I have an I7-4770 CPU with 16 gig of Ram so it should cope.
backwoods
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2571
Re: Are LP EQ and LP MB CPU intensive 2018/04/20 00:07:48 (permalink)
they're linear phase so need some look ahead. you can increase buffers and not use them in real time and you'll be fine

reevant
Re: Are LP EQ and LP MB CPU intensive 2018/04/20 00:10:04 (permalink)
Thanks I'll have a look
promidi
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1220
Re: Are LP EQ and LP MB CPU intensive 2018/04/20 03:26:30 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Anderton 2018/04/20 16:23:10
You can also use non linear phase mode in expert settings on both of these plugins as well.

Windows 10 64bit fully patched, 16 gig ram . 
PCR-800 Controller.  (Working in Win 10 1809 64bit)
CPU: i5 4670. 
Video: Nvidia GTX560ti (latest drivers).
Audio IF: Focusrite 2i2 2nd Gen

Internet always on.

Software
: Cakewalk by Bandlab (2018.09 B29)
ASIO mode. 24bit 48khz 256 samples 
Rapture Pro, AAS GS2, VS-3, EP-4, VA-2, Chromophone 2, Z3TA+ 2, Addictive drums 2, Addictive Keys, Mpowersynth (latest), Iris 2, GPO5, Sampletank 3,
reevant
Re: Are LP EQ and LP MB CPU intensive 2018/04/20 07:26:40 (permalink)
Makes a big difference when I used them as they were designed to be used. I was using them in the Master track with several other tracks. If I export the mix and bring the mix back as one track the LP EQ and LP MB work a treat. When I look about this appears to be the way they were designed to be used as a mastering tool.
Grem
Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5562
Re: Are LP EQ and LP MB CPU intensive 2018/04/20 10:18:57 (permalink)
Most Lp eq's are meant to be used in the mixing stage. They typically have very little to no flavor.

The Curve EQ's in the PC are designed to have some flavor/character. You have four choices.

Grem

Michael

Music PC
i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
Home PC
AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
Surface Pro 3
Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Are LP EQ and LP MB CPU intensive 2018/04/20 16:25:06 (permalink)
In addition to using them in non-linear mode in the "draft" stages of a project, you can also use a low precision setting. True linear-phase processors are indeed CPU-intensive.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
tubeydude
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 904
Re: Are LP EQ and LP MB CPU intensive 2018/04/20 16:37:42 (permalink)
I always have them in my master bus FX bin when starting or adding to a project.  I usually use LP EQ and LP Multiband comp.  I follow that up with Voxengo Elephant and SPAN.  When tracking, I just bypass the master FX bin.  Then I can play guitar, track bass or vocals...or whatever with essentially no latency.  When mixing, I turn the master bus FX bin back on.  I just master in the project.  I master to about a K-8 level and use Voxengo Span to look at the spectrum of the song.  Of course, I use my ears as well :)

azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Are LP EQ and LP MB CPU intensive 2018/04/20 18:41:13 (permalink)
At least for me, most CPU intensive part of these plug-ins is GUI... without GUI open, even with the slowest settings, they do not consume much. Tried with OpenGL and disabled, not a big difference (I have GTX1050, it normally has no problems even with more complicated graphics).
I agree, in LP mode these plug-ins are unusable on Sonar/CbB tracks... but work fine on Reaper tracks

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
Anderton
Re: Are LP EQ and LP MB CPU intensive 2018/04/20 19:31:42 (permalink)
azslow3
I agree, in LP mode these plug-ins are unusable on Sonar/CbB tracks... but work fine on Reaper tracks

Why do you think that is? Different audio engine? Different way of handling delay compensation (I assume Reaper does automatic delay compensation)?

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
greg_moreira
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 84
Re: Are LP EQ and LP MB CPU intensive 2018/04/20 20:58:53 (permalink)
Yes, most linear phase plugins are CPU hogs.  Some fare better than others, but in general....  they tax the CPU.

To answer the question about why you would bother with using one....  it entirely depends on what you are trying to accomplish.  Linear phase processing has a specific "purpose".

A regular EQ has some degree of phase shift.  If your trying to EQ out an individual guitar track....  this isnt a problem.  But sometimes that phase shift IS problematic.  There are lots of youtube examples with folks actually measuring the degree of phase shift, and what sort of issues this could cause in certain situations.

I'll give you one practical example where I would employ a linear phase EQ.  Say the bass guitar track needs to have some more edge so that it comes forward more in the mix.  The "sub" content is fine.  I dont want to simply turn the bass up.  I just want the attack to come through a little better.

What I will often do is duplicate the bass track.  Leave the original "as is" in both volume and whatever general processing i've done.

The duplicate track I will send through a guitar amp sim and add a little gain/distortion to it.  I can then blend this in to taste with the original bass track just to get some grit and presence to come out.

BUT...  I dont want to stack bass on top of more bass.  Remember I'm only looking for some additional presence and cut with this duped bass track, so with that duplicate track that I intend to distort, I will do a hi pass filter(this is where the eq comes into play) around maybe 150 to 200 Hz to get rid of the sub stuff(the original bass track is carrying that just fine).

The act of applying a hi pass filter to that bass track is going to cause some phase shift with a conventional EQ.  Not an issue by itself, but when blended with the original source bass...  this is where the phase shift can cause some issue.  You could experience a degree of phase cancellation at certain frequencies between the two tracks when blended together.

A linear phase EQ is going to attempt to avoid any phase shift, and ultimately there is less worry about any out of phase issues in an example like this where your blending two tracks based off of the same waveform.

I would use LP EQ in a parallel compression application as well if EQ is necessary

The transparent nature of these types of EQ's make them nice for an overall mix EQ also.

I avoid the CPU hit by simply freezing the track  after Im done tweaking the EQ

azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Are LP EQ and LP MB CPU intensive 2018/04/20 22:09:59 (permalink)
Anderton
azslow3

Why do you think that is? Different audio engine? Different way of handling delay compensation (I assume Reaper does automatic delay compensation)?

Yes, automatic delay compensation. One from several advantages of anticipative fx processing concept. No PDC button, no "clicks and pops" under heavy load with small ASIO buffers.
Reaper does not switch off anticipative processing  on all places that theoretically make sense, so f.e. real-time EQ graphic is a bit "ahead" of the sound. It can be switched off manually for particular track, or reduced to small value (default 200ms).
I do not have S1, but there are some posts it does that more "invisible" for the user then Reaper, I guess sacrificing the performance benefits.

After I have found that Reaper can work with lower buffers and more plug-ins then Sonar on the same system, I was wondering why. Then I have noticed that I get no extra delay when I play my MIDI keyboard, even in case other tracks have delayed plug-ins. So I have started digging for the reason.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
Kev999
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3922
Re: Are LP EQ and LP MB CPU intensive 2018/04/21 00:26:01 (permalink)
promidi
You can also use non linear phase mode in expert settings on both of these plugins as well.

I'd forgotten about that useful feature. Thanks for the reminder.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
Having fun at work lately
Anderton
Re: Are LP EQ and LP MB CPU intensive 2018/04/21 19:47:27 (permalink)

Just remember that phase-linear operation is not a panacea. All l-p processing has pre-ringing (a swishing sound) prior to transients, especially at low-frequency/high-gain settings. Nonlinear operation has post-ringing but because it's after the transient, people don't notice it.

I wrote about this in Friday's Tip of the Week #126. The audio example is still up on craiganderton.com so you can hear what pre-ringing sounds like. You might be surprised.

reevant
Re: Are LP EQ and LP MB CPU intensive 2018/04/22 23:17:39 (permalink)
Thanks Craig, I did have a listen and also pushed the processes beyond where I would ever use them and yes the squeak is very noticeable. It is all a learning process. I do this for fun and my own use but I am still trying to make things sound the best I can.
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Are LP EQ and LP MB CPU intensive 2018/04/23 00:32:07 (permalink)
I have always just used the LP-EQ and LP-MB in 'Non Linear' precision mode [under 'EXPERT' settings].

They work fine as channel or bus inserts that way, without excessive CPU or latency hits.  Nice GUI...

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
greg_moreira
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 84
Re: Are LP EQ and LP MB CPU intensive 2018/04/25 02:55:36 (permalink)
Anderton

Just remember that phase-linear operation is not a panacea. All l-p processing has pre-ringing (a swishing sound) prior to transients, especially at low-frequency/high-gain settings. Nonlinear operation has post-ringing but because it's after the transient, people don't notice it.

I wrote about this in Friday's Tip of the Week #126. The audio example is still up on craiganderton.com so you can hear what pre-ringing sounds like. You might be surprised.

True, but as you noted.... settings have a big influence here.

A linear phase EQ is not the type of EQ I'd reach for in order to perform any surgical EQ, and/or large boosts.

Gentle moves with a wide Q greatly reduces the amplitude and duration of the pre ringing.  Boosting causes more issues than cutting, and a "surgical" type of tight Q also exaggerates pre ringing.

Or in the case of high or low pass filters....  keep the slope gradual.  AKA 6 DB per octave is better than 18 DB per octave.

If your source material is heavy with transients...  its going to be more susceptible to pre ringing also.  So just for example...  a snare for example would show more symptoms of pre ringing vs a rolling bass line

Its definitely not a one size fits all, perfect tool.

Its just another one of those deals where in the right environment with appropriate settings, it can do a particular job with minimal problems.

Toddskins
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 158
Re: Are LP EQ and LP MB CPU intensive 2018/04/25 06:45:41 (permalink)
Anderton

Is there another way of obtaining your PDF book?

NOTE:  I just looked on Amazon, and it appears you have written many books.  Same Craig Anderton?  Which book is the one you said you were updating with all the Sonar tips on it? The one that was being sold on the Cakewalk site.
Anderton
Re: Are LP EQ and LP MB CPU intensive 2018/04/25 16:32:46 (permalink)
Toddskins
Is there another way of obtaining your PDF book?

Both Sonar books are available from reverb.com: The Big Book of Sonar Tips, and The Second Big Book of Sonar Tips. Reverb.com also sells my Electronic Ear Candy and AdrenaLinn Guitars loop libraries.

NOTE:  I just looked on Amazon, and it appears you have written many books.  Same Craig Anderton?  Which book is the one you said you were updating with all the Sonar tips on it? The one that was being sold on the Cakewalk site.

Yes, same guy. I may end up consolidating the two books into one huge book that covers only what's included with Cakewalk by Bandlab (e.g., no Melodyne tips). Anyone who has the previous books wouldn't need it, but it might be helpful to those getting started with the free download.

Daibhidh
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 204
Re: Are LP EQ and LP MB CPU intensive 2018/04/28 09:36:05 (permalink)
I love my LP-EQ & LP-MB.
Seriously some of the nicest plugins ever made by Cakewalk.
The GUI is pretty much perfect.
It's a dream to use.
It will be interesting to see how Bandlab will bring them back. Will it be part of a package deal or individual purchase or both?
We'll have to wait to find out.
https://www.cakewalk.com/Products/L-Phase
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1